Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 09:13 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It will be awhile before I'm ready to start this project. I'll have to start saving up for it. Being self-employed my hobby budget is very tight, so I have to be frugal about any project. So I'll start saving up for this so that I can buy the engines, turbines, retracts, and radio for it. The wood I'm not too worried about. But the expensive parts I'll have to save up for. Thanks for pointing me to the resources. I had seen those plans on Outer Zone but was afraid of using those to blow up. I was hoping to find some that were bigger to start working with. IF those are the only that I can find I will start with them, but was hoping for some bigger plans as a starting point.

Ken

Last edited by RCKen; 11-16-2016 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 03:33 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Galloping ghoster,
i may have the kraft schematic you are looking for. If not i can tell you the gru ru i sent them to. Either way you will get the schematics.
I am leaving town for thanks giving tomorrow so if you will be patient with me i'll fix you up is someone dont beat me to is. I also sold him the one i had. He is a collector of & fixer uper of older r/c sets rainermaster80 i'll be in touch.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:21 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

trainermaster80, I wasn't the one looking for a Kraft schematic, it was another poster, don't remember who. It was to he I was in reply too.
Old 11-17-2016, 03:52 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

RC KEN - A couple years ago Model Aviation ( magazine ) had some plans for a P2-V ,I think it was an electric and just a small plane ( about 24 " maybe ) . I tried to find my copy but no luck, maybe if you go on the AMA site you could find it, I thought about building it but never got around to it .

My first assignment in the Navy was to VP-10 in Brunswick Maine ( 1954 ) flying P2V-5's ( no jets ) after my first deployment we got P2V-5 F's ( 2 J34 jets under the wings ) . When I left the squadron we were scheduled to get the P2V-7's , they are the ones you see with the bubble cockpits. If you find plans, let me know I might just have to get back into building . When was your dad into P2's and where ? Enjoy !!! RED
Old 11-17-2016, 04:07 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
Galloping ghoster,
i may have the kraft schematic you are looking for. If not i can tell you the gru ru i sent them to. Either way you will get the schematics.
I am leaving town for thanks giving tomorrow so if you will be patient with me i'll fix you up is someone dont beat me to is. I also sold him the one i had. He is a collector of & fixer uper of older r/c sets rainermaster80 i'll be in touch.
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
trainermaster80, I wasn't the one looking for a Kraft schematic, it was another poster, don't remember who. It was to he I was in reply too.
Hi Guys , It was me who asked for the Kraft schematic , and yes trainermaster80 if you could get me a copy of it I would be most appreciative .
Old 11-17-2016, 07:12 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by red head
RC KEN - A couple years ago Model Aviation ( magazine ) had some plans for a P2-V ,I think it was an electric and just a small plane ( about 24 " maybe ) . I tried to find my copy but no luck, maybe if you go on the AMA site you could find it, I thought about building it but never got around to it .

My first assignment in the Navy was to VP-10 in Brunswick Maine ( 1954 ) flying P2V-5's ( no jets ) after my first deployment we got P2V-5 F's ( 2 J34 jets under the wings ) . When I left the squadron we were scheduled to get the P2V-7's , they are the ones you see with the bubble cockpits. If you find plans, let me know I might just have to get back into building . When was your dad into P2's and where ? Enjoy !!! RED

I have my copy of that Model Aviation. It was a stand of scale version of the plane, and by stand of scale I mean very stand of scale. It had a very boxy fuselage and would only look like a P2-V in flight.

My dad flew in the P2-V 7's. He got out of the Navy 1964 when I was born. He would always cuss the P-3 Orion because that was the plane that killed the P2-V and replaced it!!!!

ken
Old 11-18-2016, 02:24 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Init4fun
i will hunt up the schematic as soon as i get back from new orleans where i am going for thanksgiving. I had a brand new kraft tone that was never used. Got it from a deceased friend of mine. Sold it to the guru, he has schematics as he collects old xmitter & recievers for a hobby. He is good at fixing them also i'll put you in touch with him also
frankie. Trainermaster 80. I'll get back to you.
Old 11-18-2016, 03:29 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
Init4fun
i will hunt up the schematic as soon as i get back from new orleans where i am going for thanksgiving. I had a brand new kraft tone that was never used. Got it from a deceased friend of mine. Sold it to the guru, he has schematics as he collects old xmitter & recievers for a hobby. He is good at fixing them also i'll put you in touch with him also
frankie. Trainermaster 80. I'll get back to you.
Thank you Trainermaster 80 , I hope you have a Great Thanksgiving in New Orleans and sure , send me a message when you get back .
Old 11-19-2016, 08:39 AM
red head

Originally Posted by RCKen
I have my copy of that Model Aviation. It was a stand of scale version of the plane, and by stand of scale I mean very stand of scale. It had a very boxy fuselage and would only look like a P2-V in flight.

My dad flew in the P2-V 7's. He got out of the Navy 1964 when I was born. He would always cuss the P-3 Orion because that was the plane that killed the P2-V and replaced it!!!!

ken
I agree it was " Stand WAY off scale " but it was the only one I could remember at the time . I have seen another one but can't remember (I 'm old ) right now but will let ya know if I remember or find it .

I know the feeling about the P2 / P3 . I loved the P2 and when I later in my career ended up with the P3 the love wasn't really there, but I did like the P3 . Maybe the difference was I was older and spent most of my time in maintenance control rather then flying and working on them. My last experience with the P2 was in Hawaii and our outfit used one to launch target drones . One last thing : one of the first P2's ( a 2, I think ) set some around the world records ( that I don't remember ) and was on display for years in Norfolk Va.. I saw it a couple years ago at the Naval Air Museum in Fla,. I think they were getting ready to do some major cleaning up so it could go back on display. By the way if you ever get a chance to visit the Museum in Pensacola Fla. it's worth the trip and FREE , just a donation . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 11-20-2016, 06:48 AM
schomper42

Hi , I need to create a new post and forgot how to do it ? I need to find out where to buy a new replacement shaft for my Turnigy Aerodrive motor D2836/8 1100kv and can't finf anywhere to buy one . so I need to create a post to ask for help .
How do I create a post for this ?
thanks much
Old 11-20-2016, 07:27 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

schomper42, you need to go back to the forums listing, at the top. You'll see at the top of web page:

("Home" icon) > Forum > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse > old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Click on either "Home" icon or "Forum". About half way down, you'll see the forum category, "Electric Aircraft Universe"

Scroll down until you see the forum, (Brushed/Brushless motors, speed controls, gear drives). Click on it. (Note, you can go to any you think more suitable, not just this one.)

Near the top, you'll see the button, (+ Post New Thread). Click on it.

New post dialogue box opens up. Give it a title, compose your message, and post your question. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:23 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Redhead

The p2 that set some distance records was called the truculent turtle, it had a emblem of a turtle standing with a pipe and hat and maybe a jacket.

My computer monitor did not seem to last very long and decided it didn't want to play anymore and went blank so it's been replaced with a bigger screen I didn't spend a lot but this 27" screen will take some getting used to everything is stretched all over the place. it is great for scanning plans and pictures.

Well I spent some time working on my mustang and the king kobras, while the glue was curing on the kobras wing sheeting I was able to remove all of the foil covering I wasn't pleased with on the mustang. it came off rather easy with my heat iron then a wash down with paint thinner then soap as soon as the body filler is sanded I'll put on fresh foil.

Got a doctors appointment and need to pay my property taxes. see ya later!

I just did a search on the Truculent turtle and a ton of info came up!......try it.

Last edited by donnyman; 11-21-2016 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:31 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Redhead

Got a doctors appointment and need to pay my property taxes. see ya later!
I'm sure its you two favorite thing to do!

I love the Turtle's nose art!

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 11-21-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:03 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by red head
I agree it was " Stand WAY off scale " but it was the only one I could remember at the time . I have seen another one but can't remember (I 'm old ) right now but will let ya know if I remember or find it .

I know the feeling about the P2 / P3 . I loved the P2 and when I later in my career ended up with the P3 the love wasn't really there, but I did like the P3 . Maybe the difference was I was older and spent most of my time in maintenance control rather then flying and working on them. My last experience with the P2 was in Hawaii and our outfit used one to launch target drones . One last thing : one of the first P2's ( a 2, I think ) set some around the world records ( that I don't remember ) and was on display for years in Norfolk Va.. I saw it a couple years ago at the Naval Air Museum in Fla,. I think they were getting ready to do some major cleaning up so it could go back on display. By the way if you ever get a chance to visit the Museum in Pensacola Fla. it's worth the trip and FREE , just a donation . ENJOY !!! RED

My dad did thank me for one thing though. Like I said, he got out of the Navy in 1964. He got out in '64 because that's when I was born and saved him from having be around and decommission the P2-V's and bring in the P-3's. If he had re-upped instead of getting out when I born he would have been around for the change over to the Orion's, and he said that would have been more than he could have taken. So I saved him from having to have gone through that!!!

Ken
Old 11-21-2016, 12:02 PM
FlyerInOKC

Ken, I hope he thank you!
Old 11-21-2016, 02:29 PM
donnyman

Isn't this cool? the advertisement for the Eureka P2v kit and a picture of the kit plane This is in the top 1% of my favorite nose art The truculent turtle! Fantastic!

co incidently the ad on the right side shows the kit and jet engine I bought in the late fifties the f-94 and tiger jet engine. The kit was all aluminum.

I aspired to building the p2v but...... Finding a kit once existed got me twitterpated. somewhere there are plans!

There is a laser cut kit for the p3 orion on the market by Manzano laser works, my friend has the plans and kit. Real nice!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eureka_neptune.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	415.9 KB
ID:	2190893   Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	2190894   Click image for larger version

Name:	MAN_Jun_1957.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	451.9 KB
ID:	2190895  

Last edited by donnyman; 11-21-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:16 PM
FlyerInOKC

It's some great nose art. I would mind having one of each kit in that ad! I had several original publicity photos of Navion but lost them. My Dad was with the 98 Bomber Group (Heavy) in the Pacific Theater he had some greaat stories of the P-61 squadron stationed with them. He said at night they could scramble the the single squadron of P-61 against a wing or more of Japanese Imperial bombers and not one bomber would get thru them!
Old 11-21-2016, 05:40 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The P-61 is one cool plane. That one will get started after I finish the B-25(and have money for engines and gear).
Old 11-21-2016, 05:57 PM
red head

I started to tell ya about the " Turtle " the other night and my computer locked up . For years it was displayed at an intersection in Norfolk Va. , cleaned up now and then and then sometime ( I think ) in the late 90's it was taken to the " Naval museum in Pensacola Fla.. I saw it there sitting on a back lot about 2010, what we were told was that it was going to be gone over so they could put it back on display there. When it was in Va. I passed by it everyday when going to work, I only lived a couple blocks from it. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 11-22-2016, 07:33 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
It's some great nose art. I would mind having one of each kit in that ad! I had several original publicity photos of Navion but lost them. My Dad was with the 98 Bomber Group (Heavy) in the Pacific Theater he had some greaat stories of the P-61 squadron stationed with them. He said at night they could scramble the the single squadron of P-61 against a wing or more of Japanese Imperial bombers and not one bomber would get thru them!
I enjoy the stories of pass events I wish we had more. Now! as you probably already know just about every one of the planes in that ad I posted is available in plan form. I have a very nice plan of the navion from Berkeley I think I got off the Outerzone site. along with all the rest.

Time has been good to me and I got in some build time, the kobra wings are sheeted and if the gorilla glue did it's job I will add the lead/trail edges today.

Have any of you guys tried using ALUM. foil to cover a plane? I am truly being challenged by the task, but it is fun.

Heres something to get your p-61 juices flowing
Attached Thumbnails Northrop P-61 Black Widow - 37.5 in span scale gas control line by Sterling (kit-E-15).pdf  
Old 11-22-2016, 08:11 AM
FlyerInOKC

A true classic Donny!
Old 11-22-2016, 11:24 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Ken, I hope he thank you!

Yeah, he did. And a couple of times I tried to hold it over his head when I was a teenager. But that went over about like a turd in a punch bowl!!!!

Ken
Old 11-22-2016, 02:22 PM
acdii

Hey Donny, those P-61 plans look like they could be blown up to about a .60 size RC! Very Interesting,.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:04 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
Hey Donny, those P-61 plans look like they could be blown up to about a .60 size RC! Very Interesting,.
Yes they could be scaled to anything you could want but there are a lot of other plans you don't have to modify I have a set of Don Smith drawings, Nick Ziroli has them both for G-38 sized motors. a good on line search will probably get whatever size you desire.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:59 PM
acdii

I have the large P-61 Ziroli plans and wood, but was thinking of something much smaller that can be flown on a pair of 91 four strokes, a stand off scale that flies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.