Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 11:00 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Navion

I was scanning my drawings and ran across these someone mentioned it so here it is...............enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails Navion_67in_WAM.pdf  

Last edited by donnyman; 11-24-2016 at 11:29 AM.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:28 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
I have the large P-61 Ziroli plans and wood, but was thinking of something much smaller that can be flown on a pair of 91 four strokes, a stand off scale that flies.
I wouldn't mind haveing the p-61 wood I have everything else. Though I do enjoy cutting my own.

One thing about a set of plans one has is they can be scaled to any size one likes. I particularly like the digital drawings because they are so versatile.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:50 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

What kind of Navion that doesn't have flaps and retracting gear?.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:20 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
What kind of Navion that doesn't have flaps and retracting gear?.
Well joe considering the age of those plans that bird was high tech. I am not sure retracts were available and flaps too hard to control. but using what we have today adding these things would be a snap.

the basic planset is is quite nice even by todays standards so no problem for the average scratch builder several mods need to be done to work with todays equiptment!

I hadn't really looked at the plans when I downloaded them many items mentioned on these plans haven't been made for many a year but it is good looking.
Old 11-25-2016, 11:52 AM
Joe Fisher

I am not knocking the plans. I used to have a friend that had a Navion . I stripped it and painted it. I flew it some. Any pilot that ever flew one will remember the flaps they make Cessna flaps seam wimpy.
Old 11-25-2016, 01:53 PM
jollyroger
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 65 now and my first balsa plane was a Ryan .....I think.....model of the Spirit of St. Louis. Colored it in aluminum foil to give it a realistic look but it flew like a brick. I could get Sleek Streaks to ROG back when they were .25 and then moved onto model rockets. Later, much later I bought a Goldberg Eaglet 50 in 1983. Built it, covered it and then sold it as I was getting married ...again.
The in 1996 I decided to get into it seriously and bought an LT-40, a MECOA .46 and Futaba radio. Since then it's been so many planes , engines and now totally electric with lots of Batteries and chargers and more stuff ....you know how it goes.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:44 PM
schomper42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this is great ! I am now going to try and make a post for the problem I am having. Thank you so much!
Old 11-28-2016, 03:55 PM
donnyman

Good evenining gentlemen! my medical selections are complete (total confusion) and the turkey has settled in my gut. and things are looking a little clearer short of the shopping flurrie about to kick in of which I do not intend to be part.

I was greatly disappointed when my ballot was not counted because of one word missing in my home address. Now I am convinced the system is geared to disrupt, confuse and manipulate the people. My pastor said man is control by "sex. money and power" and at least one of the three determine mens actions. Have you paid attention to the behavior of our politicians actions lately I can't believe how low some will go to get what they think is greatness the behavior shows a lack of pride, dignity, morals .....I could go on and on, are we witness to the fall of the American culture? I am so ashamed!
Old 11-28-2016, 04:44 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Well, there is an old saying, things have to get worse before they get better. At least there is one less POS in the world now that Castro finally kicked the bucket and is on a one way trip to h e double hockey sticks. I just can't believe how some people praise him for being a dictator and killer. Makes you wonder what their actual morals are. They probably never saw Missiles of October where we were a heartbeat from Nuclear war thanks to Castro.

But anyhow, speaking of medical, I have to go to Cath Lab on the 7th. Been getting short of breath and chest pains climbing stairs, and just had a bout of pain a little bit ago. This getting old crap is getting old.
Old 11-28-2016, 05:31 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I was greatly disappointed when my ballot was not counted because of one word missing in my home address. Now I am convinced the system is geared to disrupt, confuse and manipulate the people. My pastor said man is control by "sex. money and power" and at least one of the three determine men's actions. Have you paid attention to the behavior of our politicians actions lately I can't believe how low some will go to get what they think is greatness the behavior shows a lack of pride, dignity, morals .....I could go on and on, are we witness to the fall of the American culture? I am so ashamed!
Reference the following:

Originally Posted by 2nd Timothy 3:1-5a
But know this, that in the last days, grievous times will come. For men will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, arrogant, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, no lovers of good, traitors, headstrong, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God; holding a form of godliness, but having denied the power thereof. (NHEB)
Old 11-28-2016, 09:20 PM
smoketrailcharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nearing the 80 mark in Feb.always wanted to get into rc but as close as I got was .049 line control P51 Mustang purchased at the post exchange while stationed in Gerrmany.Started building some kind of plane at the Craft Shop at Mickey Mouse corner in Korea back in 59.Too much of life got in the way so I never finished it.I started playing around with an Apache AH 64 helli about 4 years ago and I was hooked.A friend gave me an old Super Cub that has seen better days so I am starting to rebuild it,My son bought me a Tactic 850 and receiver I will put in it.Still have my first RC flight ahead of me.God willing she will lift off soon.Self taught so watch out for flying parts.If it aint broke it soon will be.Smoke trail charlie
Old 11-28-2016, 09:32 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

We live in troubling times. On hearing the result of the American election, hot on the heals of the Brexit vote, my pal Roger Aubard, admittedly a man of the Left, urged us to buy some chickens and some rabbits and to cultivate the garden!

My own view, for what it's worth, is that fifty or sixty years ago, a man with no particular education could find a manual job and earn a very good living working with his hands. Those days have gone and many who could have expected to be well-paid now have to settle for jobs in supermarkets, warehouses and call centres for little above the National Minimum Wage.

A history of my (blue) jeans purchases will serve as an example. When I was a young man, Levi and Wrangler jeans on sale in England were either made in America or in England. Of the last four pairs of jeans which I bought, two were made in Bangladesh, one in Pakistan and one in Poland. I assume that both manufacturers are trading profitably but the work is not being carried out in the USA or Great Britain and the profits are going back to the shareholders who are only a small percentage of the population. I heard somewhere that the US economy has grown by 60% over the last forty years but most of the profits from that growth have gone back to 1% of the population. Certainly income inequality has grown and people resent this. That's why they vote for change. So best of luck to President Elect Trump, I can't see how he can bring back manufacturing jobs to the USA given the much lower labour costs elsewhere, but his plans for infrastructure improvement will help.

I'm pleased that I have a good retirement pension and that I live in rural France where prices are very low because the population is declining. I'm also pleased that I have no children to worry about and that my health is holding up despite my over-consumption of delicious and well-priced French wine! .

The weather here is forecast to be calm and dry over the next week, plenty of opportunity to work outside and to go flying!
Old 11-29-2016, 05:03 AM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donnyman

I was greatly disappointed when my ballot was not counted because of one word missing in my home address. Now I am convinced the system is geared to disrupt, confuse and manipulate the people. My pastor said man is control by "sex. money and power" and at least one of the three determine mens actions. Have you paid attention to the behavior of our politicians actions lately I can't believe how low some will go to get what they think is greatness the behavior shows a lack of pride, dignity, morals .....I could go on and on, are we witness to the fall of the American culture? I am so ashamed!
we are a lucky lot as a nation we felt we were not going the right way so now we have changed , and time will tell, so at this point I plan to see if the swamp will really get cleaned up. befor I make any judgement.

Cheers Bob T
Old 11-29-2016, 06:07 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

The biggest problem we face is the lack or cooperation and compromise our founding fathers used to setup this nation. Politics has become all about ideology and not what is good for the nation as a whole. This scorched earth ideology mentality must stop, this is the real quagmire we face.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

Guiys did youhear about the new book?
[h=1]All the Gallant Men[/h][h=2]An American Sailor's Firsthand Account of Pearl Harbor[/h]by Donald Stratton, Ken Gire

Read about it here survived Pearl Harbor went back in 1944 to fight in the final battles of WWII!

https://www.harpercollins.com/978006...he-gallant-men

Old 11-29-2016, 06:55 AM
acdii

Very good statements here. A refreshing change over the FB morons. Gets old quickly with all the clickbait rehashed crap being posted. BTW Telemaster, I heard that French Wine is good for the health, more so than the kiddie Whine I have to put up with.

My hope is for my children in that the Education system gets cleaned up and back to teaching Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. The crap they teach now is pathetic, and they eliminated too many good classes like Music, and Arts and Shops. All of these make for a better education, I mean, just listen to the crap they call music these day. I also hope that Technical schools make a come back. We have become so dependent on technology now, that basics skills are being lost.

When that great EMP burst from the sky comes calling and wipes out electronics, 2/3rds of the planet wont know how to function.
Old 11-29-2016, 07:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

It seems all that matters in school anymore is sports, I say dump sports move the money tpo the basics 3 Rs and some of what acdii mentioned and let the parents pay the cost od sport participation. When they mentioned sports gets kids into college that might not go discuss proficiency of the athletes, their graduation rates, and the number of student benefited compared to those who aren't. What is the ration 1 in 10,000 or 1 in 100,000 of total college students? A high school athlete has a 7% chance of making on a college varsity team according to the NCAA, sorry sports is wasted money.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:07 AM
FlyerInOKC

I got curious and looked it up according to the NCAA the high school athlete with the highest chance of turning pro is Men's HS Soccer at 8/100 of 1% the lowest chance were both sexes HS Basketball at 3/100 of 1%. Chances of becoming a high school student becoming a college athlete is 7% and the number receiving a full ride scholarship is minuscule. So why is 5 Billion dollars a year being spent on sports rather than education?

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 11-29-2016 at 12:50 PM.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:01 PM
FlyerInOKC

I got a new toy this week I found a discontinued 44" Great Planes Easy-Touch sanding bar. I have been wanting one to sand large one piece wings, and for shaping leading and trailing edges. I now have all the sizes fro 5.5" to 44" plus a couple of contour multi-sanders.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:32 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

My Thunder Tiger 91 needs new bearings. My fault, I should have squirted some oil into the engine after the last flights. Lesson learned.

I managed to dismantle the engine in about fifteen minutes last night and I'm now at the stage where the only parts still inside the crankcase are the crankshaft, the camshaft and the bearings. I have removed both cam followers but cannot get the camshaft out. My guess is that the lobe of the inlet cam is fouling the crankshaft, either that or there is some knack to disengaging the drive to the crankshaft.

Help!

All advice gratefully received.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:30 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
It seems all that matters in school anymore is sports, I say dump sports move the money tpo the basics 3 Rs and some of what acdii mentioned and let the parents pay the cost od sport participation. When they mentioned sports gets kids into college that might not go discuss proficiency of the athletes, their graduation rates, and the number of student benefited compared to those who aren't. What is the ration 1 in 10,000 or 1 in 100,000 of total college students? A high school athlete has a 7% chance of making on a college varsity team according to the NCAA, sorry sports is wasted money.

I had to double check that wasn't me who posted this. I have been ranting on the same subject for years now. Way too much emphasis on sports, both in school and "professional". No one is worth that kind of money to play a game. Rally sickening when some bozo bounces a ball and makes millions when guys who put their lives on the line to save others, or that serve our country make less than minimum wage, or make barely above minimum.

came across a post recently, average basetball player starts out, STARTS OUT at $400K a year, while a soldier starts out at $18K, one risks getting a bruise, the other risks his life, now how is that fair? We(not I, but population in general) support this by supporting professional sports. Just irks me to no end.

ok /rant

I must be getting old.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:31 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
My Thunder Tiger 91 needs new bearings. My fault, I should have squirted some oil into the engine after the last flights. Lesson learned.

I managed to dismantle the engine in about fifteen minutes last night and I'm now at the stage where the only parts still inside the crankcase are the crankshaft, the camshaft and the bearings. I have removed both cam followers but cannot get the camshaft out. My guess is that the lobe of the inlet cam is fouling the crankshaft, either that or there is some knack to disengaging the drive to the crankshaft.

Help!

All advice gratefully received.

Not sure on the TT, is there no cover over the cam? Did you look for a pin that secures it to the crankcase?
Old 11-30-2016, 12:05 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I have got the camshaft to come out through using heat and I removed the main bearings through bashing the crankcase on to a piece of wood and using the handle of a wooden spoon to drive out the front bearing.

Will advise of the reconstruction process.
Old 11-30-2016, 12:49 PM
Joe Fisher

Last summer one of the bearings in my Saito 100 got rough. I took the cylinder off without taking the piston out took the screws out of the cam cover and it stayed with the cylinder. The crank just slipped out. Had to use the bench vice to push out the bearings. I slipped the big bearing on the crank and warmed up the case with a butane torch and the big bearing just dropped in. Then I had to press the front bearing in with the vice. I had it all back together in an hour. I after oil it with a mixture of Marvel Mystery oil and Dextron III. I stick an extension on the crank case breather and turn the engine over and suck the oil in to crank case, when I have taken the rocker boxes off they are full of that oil. I mix my own fuel 10% castor and 10% synthetic on nitro, I would guess it has used at least 10 gallons of fuel since I have had it.
Old 11-30-2016, 01:31 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Last summer one of the bearings in my Saito 100 got rough. I took the cylinder off without taking the piston out took the screws out of the cam cover and it stayed with the cylinder. The crank just slipped out. Had to use the bench vice to push out the bearings. I slipped the big bearing on the crank and warmed up the case with a butane torch and the big bearing just dropped in. Then I had to press the front bearing in with the vice. I had it all back together in an hour. I after oil it with a mixture of Marvel Mystery oil and Dextron III. I stick an extension on the crank case breather and turn the engine over and suck the oil in to crank case, when I have taken the rocker boxes off they are full of that oil. I mix my own fuel 10% castor and 10% synthetic on nitro, I would guess it has used at least 10 gallons of fuel since I have had it.
Show off! ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.