Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 11-30-2016, 01:49 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

LOL What he said. I had to replace the crankcase on my GK 100 after a beautiful loop into the ground cracked it. I had a heck of a time getting the collet off, the rest was pretty easy after that, used a paint stripping heat gun instead of a torch. Of course, I kept the bearings in it since I bought new ones with the new case, but I can't find the old case, and have another 100 that needs bearings, they howl louder than the engine when running. I bought some Boca bearings for it instead, just haven't gotten around to pulling it off the Cub yet.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:33 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Well gentlemen 2016 is on in it's last days and 2017 is around the corner. Quite frankly I am a little fearful of the near future but hopeful.

Here in texas the sky is gray it's chilly and wet...........feels like balsa glueing time to me and I am making some progress, my biggest hold back has been my proclivity toward starting something new and not finishing. I have to be constantly aware and not fall into the begin something new trap. I think I am not the only one with this problem and think maybe we can start a "nonfinishersaholic" group and lend moral support to one another, Yea I admit to having this problem.

SO! let me start by saying .............my name is DONNY and I am a nonfinisheraholic.

Can I get a AMEN?
Old 12-03-2016, 08:59 AM
acdii

4 AMENs here, cause I happen to be in the same boat. There are at least 4 unfinished planes in my shop. Slowly getting them done though. Stripped and recovering my Ultimate Bipe, other than detailing, the fuse has been recovered, have to do the wings next, then add details and put the gear back in. Also have to replace the linkages as they show their age. Waiting on a cowl and hatch for the T-Clips so I can finish reassembling that one.

Then I have to repair the Biper Cub, and turn it into a regular Cub since stagger wing didn't work out too well, needs way too much nose weight to fly. Also have to replace the bearings in the engine.
Have to finish repairing the Twin Otter which just needs a servo installed and a new battery pack, which is why it isn't finished, didn't get the pack yet.
Have to finish the Corsair, needs paint and assembly.
Have to finish the Mustang, needs a LOT of work still.

Then there is the plane my daughter started and lost interest on the other bench. Maybe my son will take interest.

All this and building the B-25.
Old 12-03-2016, 02:24 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At my age, ya leave at least one to work on so maybe we won't have to GO . lol ENJOY !!! RED
Old 12-03-2016, 02:26 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well its been over a year since I have built a new model so. I have been thinking about a Super Sportster 90-120. This week I cut out some wing ribs. I have a Super tigre .90 but I am kinda looking for the right used Satio FA125. The biggest problem is I am so spoiled, I fly my models here on my own land so I don't take then apart to hall them and I don't have enough space in the hobby room for that many fully assembled ready to fly airplanes.
Old 12-03-2016, 04:31 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I with you Donny on nonfinished recover and paint T/F G/S Corsair, but I have an excuse as I have meniers disease so when I got my hearing implant every thing went south for about 9 weeks and now the weather is to cold to paint, but as soon as I get a warm day will get the stars and bars on the back together.

Cheers Bob T
Old 12-04-2016, 06:21 AM
donnyman

I put in some time in my shop and actually progressed, the problem is what I'm building should not have been started in the first place. Assembling two King Kobras when I haven't finished my mustang which was started before the f-14 which stopped the mustang build and kaos repairs ................this could go on for awhile. Anyway The kit kobra is getting it's wings fitted to the fuse while the L.G. mounts epoxy cures my copy is awaiting it's turn on the bench notice the wing is built up, the kit has foam core wings. I am eager to make flight and weight comparisions upon completion. If i showed a picture of the rest of my shop you would understand my unfinisher plight.

Pray for me!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	my kk waits.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	3.94 MB
ID:	2192186  
Old 12-04-2016, 07:31 AM
acdii

Almost finished the left wing panel for the B-25 last night. Glue didn't dry quick enough or I might have finished it. Still needs the leading edge added, then need to make the compression block for the mount in the center section. Once I get the wing bolts finished I can put the small sheet on and the bottom of the center is fully sheeted and I can move on to the fuse. I am leaving the top sheeting off the CS for now until I decide on how to work the bomb bay into it.

If I had the 6 servos for the wing though I would go ahead and completely finish the wing with the ailerons and flaps, but since I don't and there may be some mod to do inside the wing, going to leave it open for now.

Not even going to consider starting the nacelles yet, they will just get in the way when fitting the wing to the fuse, and I want to get the gear done before building the nacelles in case I need to mod the rails which are inserted into the formers. Man there is a lot of work to do on this plane, and its the easier of the two I have, the P-61 with twin tail booms will be a real challenge!
Old 12-04-2016, 08:59 AM
smoketrailcharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys, I have been watcing your threa for some time,Should be qualified 79,*0 in Feb if the Lord allows.Can either of you recommend a first build for an old coot with poor eyesight and shakey hands?I am working on a super ub handed down from a friend.Have yet to fly a fixed wing.Times awasting.Best to all .Smoke trail charlie
Old 12-04-2016, 09:01 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
Almost finished the left wing panel for the B-25 last night. Glue didn't dry quick enough or I might have finished it. Still needs the leading edge added, then need to make the compression block for the mount in the center section. Once I get the wing bolts finished I can put the small sheet on and the bottom of the center is fully sheeted and I can move on to the fuse. I am leaving the top sheeting off the CS for now until I decide on how to work the bomb bay into it.

If I had the 6 servos for the wing though I would go ahead and completely finish the wing with the ailerons and flaps, but since I don't and there may be some mod to do inside the wing, going to leave it open for now.

Not even going to consider starting the nacelles yet, they will just get in the way when fitting the wing to the fuse, and I want to get the gear done before building the nacelles in case I need to mod the rails which are inserted into the formers. Man there is a lot of work to do on this plane, and its the easier of the two I have, the P-61 with twin tail booms will be a real challenge!

Is the B-25 a kit or scratched? I have the ziroli plans and scratch parts but need the L.G. It will have to wait until my finish what is started kicks in.

Do you know anyone needing a set of "Likes LINE" retracts? I have several sets and sizes of retracts and need to reduced my supply so if anyone is looking for gear check with me!

It's still gloomy and wet so back to the shop I go.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:08 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by smoketrailcharlie
Hey Guys, I have been watcing your threa for some time,Should be qualified 79,*0 in Feb if the Lord allows.Can either of you recommend a first build for an old coot with poor eyesight and shakey hands?I am working on a super ub handed down from a friend.Have yet to fly a fixed wing.Times awasting.Best to all .Smoke trail charlie

Your working on a super WHAT?

As far as a first build go's it will depend on what you prefer and you flying skills ................for starters may I suggest the SIG Kadet series.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:11 AM
acdii

It's a Ziroli 101" using National Balsa cuttings. For me, doesn't qualify as a "kit" since it is only a box of wood with pre-cut parts and no manual, only a set of plans. It is a snake hair above scratch since I am not cutting out the ribs and formers, but hand making everything else. I am looking for the right Corsair plans that my DA 100 will fit on, and that one will be scratch built. It's still a few years away, have plenty to keep me busy for the next several years.

I need to start moving some of my stuff to my trailer for winter storage, it's snowing today, and we are expecting up to 6" today, and this wednesday, of course when I have to drive 70 miles for a cath lab, expecting up to 7-9" of snow.

I still need to get the tank heater out for the horse trough and take the hose off.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:14 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by donnyman
Your working on a super WHAT?

As far as a first build go's it will depend on what you prefer and you flying skills ................for starters may I suggest the SIG Kadet series.

Pretty sure he meant Cub. I agree, an LT-40 would be a perfect first kit. They go together quickly and are easy to modify with very little work or skills. A bolt down wing is an easy mod that only needs a couple pieces of 1/4" ply to be cut and a couple dowels, which are already supplied in the kit. Making it a tail dragger is a little more complex, and if you are a beginner, better to stick to the trike gear.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:08 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

We had our first official snowfall of the year yesterday. Got less than an inch, but it's still there today. I guess that means no yard work. Oh, gee... What a shame.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:14 AM
acdii

Same here, not over yet, expecting up to 7" before it is over.

Name:	IMG_3752[1].JPG
Views:	199
Size:	3.66 MB
ID:	2192213  
Old 12-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Renegade
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by donnyman
Well gentlemen 2016 is on in it's last days and 2017 is around the corner. Quite frankly I am a little fearful of the near future but hopeful.

Here in texas the sky is gray it's chilly and wet...........feels like balsa glueing time to me and I am making some progress, my biggest hold back has been my proclivity toward starting something new and not finishing. I have to be constantly aware and not fall into the begin something new trap. I think I am not the only one with this problem and think maybe we can start a "nonfinishersaholic" group and lend moral support to one another, Yea I admit to having this problem.

SO! let me start by saying .............my name is DONNY and I am a nonfinisheraholic.

Can I get a AMEN?

Yes, amen......Amen........AMEN....amen!
I feel like that too. So glad I am not alone.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:57 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

SmoketrailCharlie, They say you are never too old. I agree with the suggestions about starting your flying learning process with a good trainer airplane. You could find one on this site in the Buy&Sell section and start with an instructor and a buddy system. I will soon to be 72 and I have enjoyed this hobby for over 40 years. I still build and fly what I build. I compete in events, and have met some outstanding people. I have friends I correspond with from around world on the Internet. As I aged, I had to sell my fast movers, they were always 300-400 ft. ahead of me. I now build & fly 1/4 scale World War 1 airplanes and of course a 1/4 scale Piper Cub. Here some pictures of my planes.

Sopwith Pup, 7 yrs old, still flyin'

E-1 Eindecker 6 yrs old, sold, still flyin'

Fokker D-VII, Crashed, 3 yrs old

Fokker D-VII, 4 yrs old, still flyin'

Spad XIII, 1 yr old, still flyin'

Now my Piper Cub

This is my favorite Cub, 6 yrs old, still flyin' and takin' pictures

I believe to grow older, your mind and body needs to be ACTIVE.

Fair Winds & Happy Flyin'
Rich

Name:	WBOT-12-72x.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	2192219   Click image for larger version

Name:	WBOT-12-77x.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	2192220   Click image for larger version

Name:	sp--137xcxt.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	2192221   Click image for larger version

Name:	WBOT-12-82X.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	2192222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jul 9-3cc.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	952.0 KB
ID:	2192223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jl93154xc.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	2192224   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-D-V-II-533xooox.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	2192225   Click image for larger version

Name:	WBOT-12-66Xcc.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	2192226  

Click image for larger version

Name:	New-Fokk-151o.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	2192227   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spad-13-405xo.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	2192228   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spad-13-409xo.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	2192229   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-009F  Cub Man.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	2192230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mar-24-1-x.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	2192231  

Last edited by jwrich; 12-04-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:40 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
Same here, not over yet, expecting up to 7" before it is over.

It looks pretty but snow? no no no no no no I payed my snow dues the first 19 years of my life back in Brooklyn New York then got frosted over at Chanute A.F.B. may I never have to do it again. that's why I am in Texas, very little snow here thank GOD.
Old 12-04-2016, 02:43 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Renegade
Yes, amen......Amen........AMEN....amen!
I feel like that too. So glad I am not alone.

Yes Renegage you are not alone us unfinishuppers have to stik together....................amen
Old 12-04-2016, 05:34 PM
acdii

This is what I have done so far.

Name:	IMG_3757[1].JPG
Views:	200
Size:	2.29 MB
ID:	2192272   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3755[1].JPG
Views:	200
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	2192273   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3754[1].JPG
Views:	183
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	2192274  
Old 12-04-2016, 09:45 PM
smoketrailcharlie

Thanks Guys ,Yes it should have read super Cub ,Of course with my typing skills it could have read Supper Club, Anyway thanks a bunch I have a small area in my basement I call Area 51 ,My wife calls it a super fund clean up area.I haven't made any Balsa dust yet but have played around with foam and vacume forming plastic cowls etc for my Hellis and scratch built boats etc,but I think I am hooked on fixed wing after a friend flew his conseaco glider. I was in the Army for 24+years always was excited about the Piper Cub they used, I think it was called an L19.You guy probably know what I am talking about.Would the Grasshopper be suitable for a beginner?I think Santa is going to be good to me this year .Sensei reviews got me stirred up .Thanks for the input forgive my mistakes.Smoke trail Charlie.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:47 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

Smoke trail Charlie, welcome to the tread, or as they say in my adopted country, "Bienvenue aux Fil!" You'll find plenty of experienced help here.

I agree with acdii that an LT40 would be a good choice for a trainer but may I offer three alternatives, the Telemaster 40 and the Sig Senior or Seniorita.

I used to import Telemasters into Europe. I still have three but two of them are awaiting attention. They are easy to fly but their detractors would say that they tend to float on landing approach. I say it's just a question of getting used to their flying characteristics!

The Senior and Seniorita are the same model, the Seniorita just being a smaller version of the Senior. What is different about them is that they are three-channel models, they do not possess ailerons. I have found, over the years that an elderly beginner is often better off with a three-channel model because they are automatically stable in the roll axis, I'll concede that once having learned how to fly a three-channel model, the beginner then has to learn how to fly with ailerons. On the other hand, it appears that you can already fly a helicopter, so orientation should not be a problem for you and in these days of buddy boxes, you should be alright with the Kadet LT 40 which is available both as a kit and as an ARTF.

Your choice but I wouldn't recommend a Piper Cub as a trainer. They are not quite so easy to fly as appears to be the case. Keep it as your second or third model.

Happy Landings
Old 12-05-2016, 05:39 AM
smoketrailcharlie

Telemaster sales UKMost informative I failed to mention my budget and the fact that I want to stay with electric, for now at least.Again thank you very much.Smoke trail Charlie..
Old 12-05-2016, 06:27 AM
acdii

If you lock the ailerons on the LT-40 it will fly just like the Senior. It is very easy to fly on just rudder, been there, done that, and not on purpose. I had the servo for the ailerons get disconnected in flight. Had no roll input, and thankfully they were neutral when it happened. Was able to continue flying it with just the rudder for roll. I even did a barrel roll with it.
Old 12-05-2016, 08:15 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

Charlie, any i/c model, except extremely large ones, may be converted to electric.

The "works" TSUK Telemaster 40 was powered by a 3547/800kv electric motor fitted to a 13x8 prop and 60 amp speed controller, powered by a 4s LiPo. I used a 6000 mAh LiPo because I used the model to train beginners and wanted to be able to fly for 20 minutes at a time. A smaller cheaper 4S battery should suit you. What this means, if you are a novice to electric flight, is that the motor is 35mm in diameter and 47mm in the length and that 1 volt will turn the shaft at 800 rpm.

This sort of set up will suit an LT40 or Senior, the smaller Seniorita will suit a 3542/100,12x6, 45 amp speed controller and 3S LiPo. Picture of "works" TSUK Telemaster 40 below. Of all of the Telemasters the electric T40 was my favourite. Flaps are not essential.

What are they flying as trainers at your local flying club?

Name:	Telemaster Stuff 012.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	350.2 KB
ID:	2192329   Click image for larger version

Name:	Telemaster 40 in a descending turn with flaps deployed.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	3.69 MB
ID:	2192330   Click image for larger version

Name:	Showing my colours.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	3.11 MB
ID:	2192331  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.