Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 12-24-2016, 08:59 AM
smoketrailcharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us all remember the reason for the Season Smoke trail Charlie.Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2016, 01:35 PM
smoketrailcharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I am neither knowledgeable nor a Gentleman I will bite.Why were the noses painted red? Smoke trail Charlie
Old 12-24-2016, 02:18 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Marry Christmas
Old 12-24-2016, 02:30 PM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Merry CHRISTMAS all

Fair Winds & Happy Flyin'

Rich
Old 12-24-2016, 02:41 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Happy Holidays to all ........................... CHRISTmas is the best time of all and holds even more meaning when the truth of it is known. which has nothing to do with a tree and some fat guy no matter what one may believe.
Old 12-24-2016, 02:46 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by smoketrailcharlie
Let us all remember the reason for the Season Smoke trail Charlie.Merry Christmas
The real meaning is quickly being forgotten............. CHRIST mas, think about it!
Old 12-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would normally be complaining about delivery times during the annual madness, but,
Thursday I placed two orders. The one from Balsa USA got here Friday, or, one day service. Not bad.
The order from Hobby King is in West Allis, should be here Monday. Sometimes I win one.

Rich.
Old 12-24-2016, 08:58 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by smoketrailcharlie
Since I am neither knowledgeable nor a Gentleman I will bite.Why were the noses painted red? Smoke trail Charlie
It was the time of the Fokker Scourge. The German Fokker Eindekker, a monoplane, dominated the air not because the aircraft was any better than anything the British or French had but because the Germans had perfected a way of allowing a machine gun to fire through the propeller arc enabling their pilots to shoot more accurately. The British and French had a few Morane monoplanes. The pilots of these aircraft sometimes found themselves under attack from their own side, because the attacking pilot had mistaken them for a Fokker. Consequently all Morane squadrons were ordered to paint the noses of their aircraft red as a means of differentiating them from the Fokkers.

As this post refers to the First World War, and as this is the season of Peace on Earth and Goodwill to All Men, you may be interested in having a look at this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdobquf1zms ... or even this one.

Merry Christmas everybody!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXh7JR9oKVE
Old 12-24-2016, 10:47 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I'll probably miss most of it. All I know is it's 1:47 am and the police sirens are running high speed up and down my street all night/morning. Lots of rednecks in FL going beyond legal boundaries I suppose. Just one more holiday to get drunk and belligerent.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:54 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by J330
I'll probably miss most of it. All I know is it's 1:47 am and the police sirens are running high speed up and down my street all night/morning. Lots of rednecks in FL going beyond legal boundaries I suppose. Just one more holiday to get drunk and belligerent.
It's a shame that people can't enjoy themselves on this day of all days without becoming violent.

07.50 here. Christmas Day is dawning. I have a German lady coming for lunch. I must remove the BE2 from the dining table, empty the van and put the BE2 into it, decorate the tree, phone my sister in England and start the cooking process.

A happy and peaceful day to you all.
Old 12-25-2016, 06:00 AM
donnyman

Thus you see the results of the removal of CHRIST from anything. one can only say a prayer for those that have lost the love and peace that can be theirs. many do not have a clue as to what CHRISTmas is about and are lost.

Blessings to one and all this day !
Old 12-25-2016, 07:19 AM
J330

I appreciate your intentions Donny, but I didn't pray waiting for an answer. I put on some music and slept in the recliner toward the back half of the house so I could fall asleep. I'm sure he's not done raising hell until January 2. The one in this neighborhood that is praying the most is the liquor store owner thanking God for a fantastic week!
Old 12-25-2016, 09:42 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
It was the time of the Fokker Scourge. The German Fokker Eindekker, a monoplane, dominated the air not because the aircraft was any better than anything the British or French had but because the Germans had perfected a way of allowing a machine gun to fire through the propeller arc enabling their pilots to shoot more accurately. The British and French had a few Morane monoplanes. The pilots of these aircraft sometimes found themselves under attack from their own side, because the attacking pilot had mistaken them for a Fokker. Consequently all Morane squadrons were ordered to paint the noses of their aircraft red as a means of differentiating them from the Fokkers.
I had a feeling it may be something like that.
The reason that black and white invasion stripes were painted on all Allied aircraft just prior to the D-Day invasion June 6, 1944 was to allow instant recognition between Allied aircraft and the hordes of Axis planes planes expected to fill the skies over he beaches.
Only 2 German planes are known to have overflown the beaches the entire day.
Old 12-25-2016, 10:14 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Quite right Flyboy.

In June 1944 there were 30,000 aircraft in the UK. In France the Germans had only 400 or so I've heard. The bulk of the Luftwaffe were deployed against the Russians. The underside of German aircraft on the Russian Front were marked with yellow wing tips to differentiate them from Russian aeroplanes and to reduce the chances of them becoming the victims of friendly fire.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:53 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Remember that Telemaster 66 in Post 3510? Well I've attended to the problem of the split balsa wood under the tail-plane by clamping the wood together while the epoxy dries and covering the repair with a few pieces of 1/64 plywood I had skulking about. I've recovered the affected area and though it's not the tidiest job I've ever done, the model is only intended as a hack trainer to teach some of these French blokes how to fly!

We have had a heavy frost overnight but temperatures of 10 degrees Centigrade (50F) are forecast with low winds. If I feel brave enough I may even fly the BE2 now that I have fitted 18ozs of lead under the engine. I'll report back.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Telemaster 66 Rebuild (1) (Small).JPG
Views:	50
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	2194573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Telemaster 66 Rebuild (Small).JPG
Views:	52
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	2194574   Click image for larger version

Name:	Telemaster 66 Rebuild (4) (Small).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	2194575  
Old 12-27-2016, 10:14 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

7 degrees yesterday morning, I don't fly unless its at least 40.
I've seen guys fly in the cold who bring a thermos of hot water with them, they pour some of it over the cylinder head just before starting, too damn cold for me.
When I go flying, my main worry is how long will the ice in my cooler last....
Old 12-28-2016, 06:12 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Remember that Telemaster 66 in Post 3510? Well I've attended to the problem of the split balsa wood under the tail-plane by clamping the wood together while the epoxy dries and covering the repair with a few pieces of 1/64 plywood I had skulking about. I've recovered the affected area and though it's not the tidiest job I've ever done, the model is only intended as a hack trainer to teach some of these French blokes how to fly!

We have had a heavy frost overnight but temperatures of 10 degrees Centigrade (50F) are forecast with low winds. If I feel brave enough I may even fly the BE2 now that I have fitted 18ozs of lead under the engine. I'll report back.
A little paint/covering and the Frenchmen will never know the difference!
Old 12-28-2016, 10:12 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Something like this you mean.

Wimped out of flying today. Too much wind.

Name:	Telemaster 66 repair (1).JPG
Views:	88
Size:	4.17 MB
ID:	2194715  
Old 12-28-2016, 01:06 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Close enough!
Old 12-28-2016, 07:39 PM
Greybeard1

Okay. After searching several sites, many forums, for information concerning Magnum or ASP engines, all I come up with is the usual idiotic OS vs Everything else arguments, which is not information. I just bought a BUSA Stingray, and it needs a larger engine than I normally used. Straight up, I've always been K&B, but no need to go into that, I have six NIB K&B 4011 for the models I'd like to live long enough to complete.

But, when it comes to larger engines, I've never had any, and the OS leave me with a case of sticker shock. The ones I want to know about, Magnum .61 two cycle, Magnum .91 four cycle, and ASP 91 two cycle.
The threads I've found are all older, and I mean a lot older, most from before 2010. If someone here that has and uses these engines would care to give a dissertation first of their experience with them, then the care and feeding, it would be highly appreciated. What I've been able to gather so far as far as real information, the four cycle don't need nitro, but they should have some castor in the mix? What I don't need is the normal and usual,"I wouldn't waste the time or money on that stuff. I know already what a lot of people wouldn't do, but I'm not a lot of people and I have the three larger engines and I'm looking at the ASP 120 four cycle. Just honest evaluation from those that have the engines, not the "I seed one at the field and it was junk" I see them in my hand, and I don't really see junk.

Rich.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:13 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Nothing at all wrong with a Magnum 91. Just follow the directions to the letter for break in and you will have a very good, easy starting motor. Magnums are basically an OS knockoff engine.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:40 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos Murphy
7 degrees yesterday morning, I don't fly unless its at least 40.
I've seen guys fly in the cold who bring a thermos of hot water with them, they pour some of it over the cylinder head just before starting, too damn cold for me.
When I go flying, my main worry is how long will the ice in my cooler last....
Reminds me of my C/L days in Alaska (1973-1976). Throughout the winter we regularly flew in +20 to -20 (F), sometimes a bit colder. First job was to clear (shovel) spots in the parking lot for the vehicles, then circles for the planes. Propane heaters in vans kept us reasonably thawed, propane torches warmed the engines.

Yeah, it was cold, but it was also HUGE fun.

Pic of 2 of my C/L planes, taken in 1975. Midwest P63 King Cobra (profile) and Midwest Cosmic Wind (profile). Both are still active today.

Name:	p-63andcosmicwind1.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	2194788  
Old 12-28-2016, 09:00 PM
J330

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
I know already what a lot of people wouldn't do, but I'm not a lot of people and I have the three larger engines and I'm looking at the ASP 120 four cycle. Just honest evaluation from those that have the engines, not the "I seed one at the field and it was junk" I see them in my hand, and I don't really see junk.

Rich.
When people choose ASP/Magnum second or third, or not at all, what does that tell you when an engine doesn't come as first pick in several forums, several threads, and what they've seen flying buddies endure?
If you see someone get sick on a meal at a restaurant, do you go in and order the same thing to see if you get sick, or do you tell people you saw someone get sick in there and spare yourself the personal experience of it all? You don't like the answers you've received.
I've had smaller displacements of the Magnum 4 strokes as I have stuck to flying 40 and 60 size aircraft most of my life with few exceptions. (Now just 40 size kits) .91 might be close enough for you. What I experienced was an engine that was slightly heavier and slower than the Saito engines I replaced them with, and stuck with ever since. Once you find what works, you stick with it because you like the set it and forget it principle and more hours flying it and hearing how it sings in the sky. Magnum wasn't a problem, just didn't perform to the level the Saito did.
As far as 2 stroke, years ago when I had a Magnum .46, I had carb/tuning/deadstick issues with it at random times. I've read, they've improved, but I don't see improvement, just like you don't see junk. Mount it, fly it, and report your experience. When I have a bad experience, I don't return to repeat it and expect different results. I just ordered a NovaRossi tonight, great sale price. For what I want to do, OS, Magnum/ASP, Enya, or Mecoa cannot match the specs. Jett does, but that's twice the price. I like a bargain as much as the next guy.
Sorry if that brief experience doesn't give you the answer to the 1.20 4 stroke question. Most use gas in that size, so the trend seems to be the case as glow is steadily phased out completely.

Last edited by J330; 12-28-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:02 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Build log of my Baron 1914 build continues on "Where Have All The Kits Gone?" thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/kit-...s-gone-39.html
Old 12-28-2016, 10:42 PM
Greybeard1

When people choose ASP/Magnum second or third, or not at all, what does that tell you when an engine doesn't come as first pick in several forums, several threads, and what they've seen flying buddies endure?
TO be honest, it tells me someone has either certain "standards" that they expect and won't believe anyone else will meet that, or brand loyalty dominates. Then as far as problems other people have had, there's another, that one being you'll never know if they took a shortcut to lead to those problems. As acdii stated, the ASP/Magnum is a knock off of the OS, which I fully realize guarantees nothing at all. I'm aware of the air leaking around the NV is there, and equally aware a small piece of silicone tubing takes care of that nicely. Almost everything else I'm going to attempt will be in the .40 size, with K&B 4011's pulling them. Won't be any .46 or anything else there, so I have no worries about that. Just that I'm going to be stepping into another world where I haven't already been, groping in the dark.

Rich.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.