Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 12-30-2016, 05:58 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

Actually the car was a Rover estate car and I ran over the Acrowot in England.

I thought that the model had been stowed away in the back!

Having retired to France I now drive a two tonne VW van. I no longer need to dismantle a model before and after flying, they go into the back fully assembled! Even the Be2e!

PS. Welcome aboard Pope!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RIMG0017.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	2194888   Click image for larger version

Name:	Van With Little Friend (Small).JPG
Views:	74
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	2194889  
Old 12-30-2016, 06:57 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Hey Greybeard1, Hobby People has the Magnum 91 on sale today for $165. Chances are tomorrow it will be back to $200. Can't beat the price(which is why I have 3 of them and no plane for them).
Old 12-30-2016, 07:08 AM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Actually the car was a Rover estate car and I ran over the Acrowot in England.

Having retired to France I now drive a two tonne VW van. I no longer need to dismantle a model before and after flying, they go into the back fully assembled! Even the Be2e!

PS. Welcome aboard Pope!
They look funny with the steering wheel on the wrong side.
I can understand when something not visible being backed over with ease. Imagine my dismay when I backed into a telephone pole in my own front yard?
Old 12-30-2016, 02:19 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Hey Greybeard1, Hobby People has the Magnum 91 on sale today for $165. Chances are tomorrow it will be back to $200. Can't beat the price(which is why I have 3 of them and no plane for them).
Took the credit card away from the inner child for the month. He don't need it.

Rich.
Old 12-30-2016, 02:46 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Ya never know what ya need till ya see it!
Old 12-30-2016, 03:22 PM
Greybeard1

Originally Posted by Carlos Murphy
Ya never know what ya need till ya see it!
Already got a Magnum 91 4 cycle and an ASP 91 2 cycle. Didn't like handing the bank almost $500 for last months "play money". Don't mean I won't again, just that I gotta do some recovery yet. Checking account gets an infusion of money again in a couple of weeks, then I can think about what I think I need that I really don't. Might be a kit buying month though, BUSA's Phaeton 90 is very attractive.

Rich
Old 12-30-2016, 04:33 PM
acdii

Oh you already have one, thought you were looking for one!
Old 12-30-2016, 06:01 PM
Greybeard1

Originally Posted by acdii
Oh you already have one, thought you were looking for one!
More asking if I wasted the money or not. I can inspect and measure, but that's still no indication there aren't other problems I won't detect. Sounds like I didn't go too far wrong though.

Rich.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:21 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by J330
They look funny with the steering wheel on the wrong side.
If it had had the steering wheel on the left, I would not have sold it before moving to France. Lovely car, not too fast but very comfortable and very reliable. Leather seats too.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 12-30-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:53 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does it feel weird driving on the different side of the road ? I would be scared of going on the wrong side at an intersection . Cheers
Old 12-31-2016, 12:36 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I am used to driving on the right now and the van is of course lhd, but occasionally you'll find yourself having an English moment! I did the same in England the last time I was over there. I drove the wrong way round a mini island on the approach road to a supermarket in my old 1974 Rover. My mate, who was in the passenger seat said, "You're not in France now!" Fortunately there were no other cars there at the time.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:00 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Found driving on the left side easier than transitioning back to right. Was in Japan 2 years, quickly got comfortable. When returned, found myself occasionally for the next couple weeks in the left side on US unmarked residential streets when no traffic was present.

Japan also has interesting names versus their import counterparts in US. One was a Suzuki small SUV called "La Puta". Also I noticed same color shades of paint on Daihatsu, Toyota, Suzuki, Nissan, Subaru, Mitsubishi, etc. Appeared they had standardized paint colors.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:51 AM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Now that the smoke from the fireworks has cleared Permit me to wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I pray 2017 will be kind to all of us.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:56 AM
J330

Huh? What? I can't hear you. Ears still ringing....
Old 01-01-2017, 02:49 PM
TangoBravo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a question. In all other aspects of life we use the term "dropping the ball" to describe something negative. Its usually associated with some degree of failure on someone's part. Ex: The mayor really dropped the ball on that one" or "The military commanders really dropped the ball when they planned that one". In sports, 'dropping the ball' is never a good thing. It usually results in the other team gaining an advantage. So................why do we celebrate the new year in New York, on Times Square in front of millions of people by......dropping the ball?

Tom
Old 01-01-2017, 02:57 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoBravo
I have a question. In all other aspects of life we use the term "dropping the ball" to describe something negative. Its usually associated with some degree of failure on someone's part. Ex: The mayor really dropped the ball on that one" or "The military commanders really dropped the ball when they planned that one". In sports, 'dropping the ball' is never a good thing. It usually results in the other team gaining an advantage. So................why do we celebrate the new year in New York, on Times Square in front of millions of people by......dropping the ball?

Tom
Better than getting kicked in the balls .
Old 01-01-2017, 04:59 PM
J330

https://www.bustle.com/p/why-do-we-d...ts-start-27272
people had been dropping balls to indicate the passage of time since the 1800s. The first "time-ball" was installed in 1833 in Greenwich, England, on top of the Royal Observatory. Every afternoon at exactly 1pm, the ball would lower so that captains in nearby ships could sync their chronometers (basically, a tool for measuring time that helped determine longitude — very important, in other words).
Eventually, time-balls were set up in cities other than Greenwich and would descend from flagpoles at noon. (A few places, like the Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C. still continue to do so.) Somewhere along the line — I guess in 1906 – somebody got the bright idea to drop a ball from Times Square not at noon, but at midnight to signal the arrival of a new year. And I guess people liked it so much that the tradition stuck.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:13 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by J330
Huh? What? I can't hear you. Ears still ringing....
HE SAID......... Oh, never mind.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:19 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

hummmmm what was that ?

Cheers and may you have a great year Bob T
Old 01-01-2017, 07:33 PM
jimbrock2

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

At 86 years old and counting...I remember the 10c kits that would never fly. Except for the hand-launched gliders that ended up on some inaccessible roof. Ohlsson&Rice 23 powered my U-control models at the beginning. Later a .46 (forgot the maker). Never had the money for radio control until I was...umm 40 or so. I was amazed at how easy it made things. Got back into building and am now in the midst of building a Curtiss Goshawk from plans. (Nearly having to reinvent the damn thing). I have it mostly framed up, ready for a G 45cc gasser. Hope to live long enough to finish it. 94 1/2 inch span on the upper wing. My eyesight is not as good as it was, but the bigger they are the better I see!.
Old 01-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by donnyman
Now that the smoke from the fireworks has cleared Permit me to wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I pray 2017 will be kind to all of us.
Thank you Donny. I fear that we may need your prayers in 2017.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:13 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by jimbrock2
At 86 years old and counting...I remember the 10c kits that would never fly. Except for the hand-launched gliders that ended up on some inaccessible roof. Ohlsson&Rice 23 powered my U-control models at the beginning. Later a .46 (forgot the maker). Never had the money for radio control until I was...umm 40 or so. I was amazed at how easy it made things. Got back into building and am now in the midst of building a Curtiss Goshawk from plans. (Nearly having to reinvent the damn thing). I have it mostly framed up, ready for a G 45cc gasser. Hope to live long enough to finish it. 94 1/2 inch span on the upper wing. My eyesight is not as good as it was, but the bigger they are the better I see!.
I would really like to see your bird ...how about a picture? The area where you live is very active in R/C you probably have a big following.
Old 01-02-2017, 05:26 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Thank you Donny. I fear that we may need your prayers in 2017.
Prayers would help but what we need here is a congress with the balls to get off their a__ and take a moral stance. they are only concerned with keeping their jobs. why the people continue to vote them into office confounds me.

Our next leader doesn't appear to have a clue as to the reality of our political situation and quite frankly I am truly worried.

Meanwhile I was honored to start the new year by repairing the shingles on my roof that I just paid to have repaired. good thing is I am catching up on my honeydo's.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:14 AM
acdii

Well at least he isn't in to run, but to work. I have hopes that being a non-politician that something can actually be accomplished. Of course the dumbocrats will be doing everything they can to block him because their POS candidate lost.(did they really think that a lying murderer would get elected with all the scandals?) And of course the current fool in office is trying his hardest to make things even worse with this latest fake news about russia and the elections. Come ON give us a break, your party lost, move on! If you had run a decent respectable candidate, we wouldn't have Trump now!

I'm with you Donny, I want Congress to wake the heck up, and earn their paychecks, Get this country back on track, get our economy moving again and stop all the fake news and lies that have been going on the past decades! Saying the economy is improving is a lie, I work for a retailer who has had a below predicted sales this year, and we thrive during Christmas season. It isn't what we sell, its the economy!
Old 01-02-2017, 11:19 AM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

well with hope things may get better, they can't get much worse. the biggest thing I would like to see is term limits on congress 3 terms max and they only get 15% on leaving with the same med we get another thing that would be great it to NOT allow any lawyer be elected .
But I know that's just wishful thinking..

Cheers Bob T

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.