Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 01-04-2017, 01:05 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Rich, what engine are you going to use on the Phaeton 90?
Old 01-04-2017, 01:06 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I am delaying purchases for a while. I have a swap meet this weekend that I want to attend, and hesitating on it a bit. I have my RC slush fund squirreled away, but on the flip side, I also have bills to pay.

I do need to get some medium CA and 30 minute epoxy, and can usually find it at this meet for reasonable prices, and fresh stock too. I highly doubt I will find exactly what I need there, and will definitely need to avoid impulse purchases and just get what I need for my current projects. I need a 60 size 4 stroke for my T-Clips, and what ever I can find for the B-25, like air tanks and line for the retracts, servos, G10, and glass cloth. The engines can wait.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:28 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Rich, what engine are you going to use on the Phaeton 90?

Thinking probably the ASP 90, although I'd like to have a four cycle. It would have to be bigger though, nothing gained if I went with the four cycle magnum 90. It says 90 to 120 for four cycle, but I might just stay two cycle.

Rich
Old 01-04-2017, 01:54 PM
FlyerInOKC

The ASP should pull it around nicely.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:04 PM
Greybeard1

The ASP should pull it around nicely.
Probably should, but I just like the idea of a four cycle pulling it. It's a long way off yet, I have plenty of time to think on it.

Rich.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:10 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
It's why I'm grateful the Washington Post published the 200 Russian fake news sites. Now I know where to go to get the right news.
Hey, everyone can use a good laugh now and then!
The sad thing is there is a thread of truth in what I said.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:59 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
The sad thing is there is a thread of truth in what I said.
The best humor always has an element of truth in it.
Old 01-08-2017, 10:46 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

We are currently experiencing a cold snap here in mid texas and I spent the entire day and half the night making frozen pipe repairs in my daughters mobile home. but I had to find the water cut off valve in the dark with the temperature at 19 degree f could not find my gloves so my hands got real cold. things wil be drying out for days luckily we had some 70 degree weather coming. I am looking forward to warmer weather.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:37 PM
acdii

Pfft, 19. It was -4 this morning, and warmed up to o13. Was outside in a light shirt feeding the horses. I have fixed frozen water lines in the barn in single digit temps, not fun at all.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:52 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

My mailbox lock was frozen for two days, had to use a propane torch to thaw it out.
Watching the Steelers game right now, one of the refs was trying to defrost his whistle in front of a heater.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:30 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by acdii
Pfft, 19. It was -4 this morning, and warmed up to o13. Was outside in a light shirt feeding the horses. I have fixed frozen water lines in the barn in single digit temps, not fun at all.
I hear you!.

Was at Chanute airbase in 1959-60 -4 was the norm every morning on the march to the chow hall before class No thanks. thinking of moving further south.
Old 01-08-2017, 02:06 PM
Greybeard1

Broke ten degrees today, I think the first time in four days.

Rich
Old 01-08-2017, 02:09 PM
harcosparky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
Just to move away from the filth of politics, ordered a Phaeton 90 yesterday morning. Just rolled the plans up again and put them back in the box. Future project.

Rich.

I just received a Hanger-9 1/4 scale PA 18 Super Cub ..... taking my time, waiting for weather to warm up. I do have some nice plans for it.

I gotta pick out a radio though ..... Spektrum or Futaba I guess,
Old 01-08-2017, 02:15 PM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by donnyman
I will now step down from my soapbox but I reserve the right to return!
Unfortunately due to regime policies and extreme cold weather your soapbox was confiscated and burned for heat !!!

Old 01-08-2017, 02:49 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Attended the AMA Convention Saturday and the number of old grey-haired duffers was less but a strong presence of middle aged men was noted....maybe this hobby isn't drying up as bad as I thought!

Jerry
Old 01-08-2017, 04:13 PM
acdii

Picked up a set of H9 Cub wheels for my SIG 1/5th Cub and they look nice. Repaired that one over the weekend, just need to drill a hole so I can access the wing hold on bolt. Debating if I should repair the cowl or replace it.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:07 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by harcosparky
Unfortunately due to regime policies and extreme cold weather your soapbox was confiscated and burned for heat !!!

Old 01-09-2017, 05:10 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by tailskid
Attended the AMA Convention Saturday and the number of old grey-haired duffers was less but a strong presence of middle aged men was noted....maybe this hobby isn't drying up as bad as I thought!

Jerry
How was the weather.........considering Arizona as my new home site.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:41 AM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by tailskid

Jerry
Did you see any Millennials there?

That's a good indication of the state of the hobby.

We see the same thing in Amateur Radio at ARRL events ......... older people die off, their kids ( middle age ) step in to carry on ..... but the children of the middle aged are nowhere to be seen.

My children scare me though .... all three of them have picked up one of more of my hobbies over the years .... but that is my fault, for exposing them to so many hobbies at early ages.

Of course many of the "hobbies" were not actually hobbies ...... living on a farm, woodworking, metalworking, and motor vehicle mechanics are a part of life.

My true hobbies were RC Helicopters ( God Bless the soul of Dieter Schluter ), Amateur Radio and Computers.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:53 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by harcosparky
Did you see any Millennials there?

That's a good indication of the state of the hobby.

We see the same thing in Amateur Radio at ARRL events ......... older people die off, their kids ( middle age ) step in to carry on ..... but the children of the middle aged are nowhere to be seen.

And yet I know of not one but two different forums catering to the restoration of vacuum tube radios/tvs that are not only thriving , they are populated mostly by these "millennials" that you claim are nowhere to be found .....

Could it be that the hobbies themselves are doing just fine , and it's the whole club scene the youngsters are avoiding ?

PS . and further as to ham radio , maybe the whole "QSO contest" atmosphere where it's numbers of contacts , rather than quality of those contacts , is part of what keeps folks from participating ? When they can reach literally millions of disinterested folks via today's social media , why bother with reaching thousands on ham radio ?

And now it's time for the big reality slap ; Our generation grew up with the dawning of the aircraft and electronics revolution , and yes indeed we were drawn to these "latest & greatest" technologies . Well guess what , neither electronics nor aviation are all that new anymore , and the "cutting edge tech" shine has somewhat worn off of them as the years (and technology) have progressed . Now I do not expect today's youth to embrace what was new and cutting edge in our youth anymore than I was given to preserving steam engines during MY youth , and yes indeed 70 years ago there were the old farts complaining about how we as youth weren't preserving "the old ways" .

Bottom line = It's pretty darned selfish to go demanding today's youth shun modern technology and instead follow "the old ways" . WE didn't soldier on with the same old same old , year after year after year , we chased the latest & greatest . Just who ARE we to go demanding that folks deny themselves the allure of the new and instead keep on with the old , when we , ourselves , did exactly what some of us here are demonizing today's youth for ?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:50 AM
acdii

On the flip side of that, one can argue that the new technology is taken away our youth social skills and ability to interact face to face. Great example is when you have a group of people standing around with their faces buried in their phones texting each other. Hello, your right there, how about looking them in the face and talking to them, but oh, right secrets.

I tried to get my daughter interested, she was briefly, then discovered her talent to sketch and draw, so she is focused on that, which I am supporting her all the way, she is very good at it. My son OTOH, I have no idea what he is doing, he keeps trying to emulate his sister instead of finding his own thing. Hoping he gets away from that and discovers his passion.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:05 AM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by init4fun
And yet I know of not one but two different forums catering to the restoration of vacuum tube radios/tvs that are not only thriving , they are populated mostly by these "millennials" that you claim are nowhere to be found .....
Name them? Thanks!

These millennials on those sites? Hackers ...... errr I mean Makers ..... right ????

When they can reach literally millions of disinterested folks via today's social media , why bother with reaching thousands on ham radio ?
Radio takes a little work, I mean you have to GO OUTSIDE AND ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING.
Why bother when all you have to do is press an icon, right? .... social media is for the lazy folks!

it's the whole club scene the youngsters are avoiding ?
Yup ..... they are avoiding meeting people face to face ..... not developing very important social skills needed to interact with people in person, opting instead to bury their face into the screen of a cell phone/table/computer.

PS . and further as to ham radio , maybe the whole "QSO contest" atmosphere where it's numbers of contacts , rather than quality of those contacts , is part of what keeps folks from participating ?
If you believe the Amateur Radio and the ARRL is only about " QSO Contesting " then you do not know the ARRL or Amateur Radio.

Bottom line = It's pretty darned selfish to go demanding today's youth shun modern technology and instead follow "the old ways" .
I hear they are no longer teaching cursive writing to children in public schools ...... " old technology " and all that. Right? I mean who need to know how to write a letter in long hand anymore.

Last edited by harcosparky; 01-09-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:06 AM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by acdii
On the flip side of that, one can argue that the new technology is taken away our youth social skills and ability to interact face to face.
You bring up a very important issue.

I hear they are going to cease teaching handwriting to children ..... I mean, why bother ..... old technology, right ?

I have nothing against modern technology, but I do see problems with society becoming overly dependent on it.

Last edited by harcosparky; 01-09-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by donnyman
How was the weather.........considering Arizona as my new home site.
Donny, before you go moving to the great southwest desert I would recommend spending a few days there in the months of July and August, Manor will never looks so good! My in-laws retired to Mesa, AZ for a while, it was beautiful, a housing development wrapped around a golf course surrounded by Orange groves. Fast forward a few years the orange groves were gone and they were surounded by asphalt and new homes. You could fry your morning eggs and bacon on the sidewalk!
Old 01-09-2017, 09:19 AM
harcosparky

But let's keep this RC related ........

I have nothing against modern technology, but I do see problems with society becoming overly dependent on it.

A millennial comes over with his Quadcopter ......... excited at how well he can fly and wants to show me his "skills"

He has a new unit. I offer to let him fly one of my old Blade 350's and he cannot even get it to hover.

But wait, he showed me how well he can fly with his own quad ...... why could he not fly one of mine?

My Blade 350 was setup up correctly, trimmed to perfection.

I then realized the problem ...........

He had all kinds of help with his ...... GPS, Gyroscopes ..... you name it, he had it.

My Blade 350 ??? Well it had none of that turned on.

I urged him to learn to fly his quad without the assistance of all those aids ...... my belief being .... " If you cannot fly without GPS, Auto-Pilot, and the like .... you cannot fly. "

Am I wrong in this thinking? I think not, I mean what if you have that $1,300 Quad up in the air and it loses GPS ...... you should know how to handle that, right ???

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.