Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:26 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Exactly! That is why I think, oh you can fly a quad? You're not a real pilot. OOOH look at that, he can hover, not. Hand him the controls to a P-51 and watch how quickly it becomes a kit.

Same for ground pounders with their little cars. They break, walk over and pick it up, your plane breaks in the air, walk over and scoop it into a bag. It takes a lot more skill to land a plane than it does to drive a car or fly a computer controlled quad.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:28 AM
harcosparky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Donny, before you go moving to the great southwest desert I would recommend spending a few days there in the months of July and August, Manor will never looks so good! My in-laws retired to Mesa, AZ for a while, it was beautiful, a housing development wrapped around a golf course surrounded by Orange groves. Fast forward a few years the orange groves were gone and they were surounded by asphalt and new homes. You could fry your morning eggs and bacon on the sidewalk!

Yeah but think about how much energy you would save when cooking breakfast

Orange Groves in Mesa, AZ ...... were they indigenous to the area, or did some retirees 'create' them?

I hear that was a problem in Arizona .... people would retire there for the warm dry climate ...... but them plant things that reminded them of 'home' ...... plush green lawns that required constant watering that the Arizona climate could not provide.

I loved the Southwest for it's lack of humidity ...... and yeah those Temps could soar.

If you were uninitiated, you could suffer heat stroke in a hurry ...... one had to know to always consume water throughout the day.

I was in west Texas .... El Paso ..... not as bad as in some places like Arizona for temps ...... but 100 Degree PLUS days during the summer .... WHEW !!!!

But at least with the very low humidity, you did not get all sticky with perspiration as you would on the coast.

What got me was out in the desert ........ 45 degrees at night ...... 105 degrees during the afternoon. Made it tough when choosing how to dress, especially if you were on training maneuvers.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:49 AM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by acdii
Exactly! That is why I think, oh you can fly a quad? You're not a real pilot. OOOH look at that, he can hover, not. Hand him the controls to a P-51 and watch how quickly it becomes a kit.

Same for ground pounders with their little cars. They break, walk over and pick it up, your plane breaks in the air, walk over and scoop it into a bag. It takes a lot more skill to land a plane than it does to drive a car or fly a computer controlled quad.
Millennials are " Buy And Fly " people ...... crash? They just go and buy a new plane.

I am of the " Build And Fly " ...... crash? Scoop it up, take it home and rebuild.

I had a Telemaster 40 at my sisters house ...... landed it in a tree on a Friday evening ( it was damaged more as a result of recover than crash ) .... spent Saturday rebuilding the broken parts .... was back in the air on Sunday.

Now I do fly an ARF ..... however it is built of balsa and monokote ...... so that I can rebuild/modify as I see fit.

I have tried the foamies ....... and they do OK for what they are.

However, they do not seem to take to rebuilding as well as balsa/monokote does.

Last edited by harcosparky; 01-09-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:53 AM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by acdii
It takes a lot more skill to land a plane than it does to drive a car or fly a computer controlled quad.
That skill is learned over time. Kids today do not want to invest the TIME to learn that skill .... so they fly computer controlled quads.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:59 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by harcosparky
Millennials are " Buy And Fly " people ...... crash? They just go and buy a new plane.

I am of the " Build And Fly " ...... crash? Scoop it up, take it home and rebuild.

I had a Telemaster 40 at my sisters house ...... landed it in a tree on a Friday evening ( it was damaged more as a result of recover than crash ) .... spent Saturday rebuilding the broken parts .... was back in the air on Sunday.

Now I do fly an ARF ..... however it is built of balsa and monokote ...... so that I can rebuild/modify as I see fit.

I have tried the foamies ....... and they do OK for what they are.

However, they do not seem to take to rebuilding as well as balsa/monokote does.
My sentiments exactly.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:06 AM
acdii

Harumph
Old 01-09-2017, 10:34 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Yeah but think about how much energy you would save when cooking breakfast

Orange Groves in Mesa, AZ ...... were they indigenous to the area, or did some retirees 'create' them?

I hear that was a problem in Arizona .... people would retire there for the warm dry climate ...... but them plant things that reminded them of 'home' ...... plush green lawns that required constant watering that the Arizona climate could not provide.

I loved the Southwest for it's lack of humidity ...... and yeah those Temps could soar.

If you were uninitiated, you could suffer heat stroke in a hurry ...... one had to know to always consume water throughout the day.

I was in west Texas .... El Paso ..... not as bad as in some places like Arizona for temps ...... but 100 Degree PLUS days during the summer .... WHEW !!!!

But at least with the very low humidity, you did not get all sticky with perspiration as you would on the coast.

What got me was out in the desert ........ 45 degrees at night ...... 105 degrees during the afternoon. Made it tough when choosing how to dress, especially if you were on training maneuvers.
In Mesa/Tempe/Phoenix area it might be 105 in November thru June but come July and August they routinely complained about 120+ temperatures. The asphalt streets and all the building up seemed to have made it hotter. The expansion of metropolitan development, new man made lakes, etc. has actually raised the humidity level of Arizona.

Oranges were first introduced to Arizona by Spanish missionaries in 1707 and have been cultivated there along with other fruits ever since.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:59 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your not wrong but instant gratification is the new normal.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:03 PM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by flycatch
Your not wrong but instant gratification is the new normal.
Previous Generations = " Let's do it, and let's do it right !!! "

Millennial Generation = " Let's do it, and let's do it right NOW !!!! "
Old 01-09-2017, 01:16 PM
harcosparky

In Mesa/Tempe/Phoenix area it might be 105 in November thru June but come July and August they routinely complained about 120+ temperatures..
Well I threw the 105 out there just for converation, but you get the idea.

The asphalt streets and all the building up seemed to have made it hotter.
Cities tend to be hotter than rural ares because the roads and building hold heat, and release it when temps do drop. So over the evening and through the nights it is warmer in town. In the morning when the sun comes up. cities are still warmer from the residual heat and this tend to reach higher temps faster than out in town.

The expansion of metropolitan development, new man made lakes, etc. has actually raised the humidity level of Arizona.
Another factor is those plush green grass lawns that need constant watering ...... and lots of that water goes up into the atmosphere creating even more humidity.

I remember a story that ..... Many people retired to Arizona for health reason, the drier climate being better for them. When they got there they missed the green green grass of home ..... so they planted lawns and watered them. As you said this type of behavior increased and I would imagine the increased demand for water caused the need for massive reservoirs and those even more man made lakes.

Arizona was, I believe a nicer place before so many outsiders moved there.

Back in the 1970's / 1980's Arizona was high on my list of places to retire to ...... but too many changes there and elsewhere have caused me to change the list and they are not on there anymore.

I'll go back and visit my relatives, like I do the relatives in Florida ..... but I am not gonna line in Florida either.

We have two places under consideration for two different reasons ....... Tennessee and New Mexico.

Oranges were first introduced to Arizona by Spanish missionaries in 1707 and have been cultivated there along with other fruits ever since.
Was not aware of the history, but did know they were not indigenous to the region .... but I guess one could say they are, having been there for 300 years plus.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:38 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Previous Generations = " Let's do it, and let's do it right !!! "

Millennial Generation = " Let's do it, and let's do it right NOW !!!! "
That skill is learned over time. Kids today do not want to invest the TIME to learn that skill .... so they fly computer controlled quads.

Name them? Thanks!

These millennials on those sites? Hackers ...... errr I mean Makers ..... right ????
Oh yea , suuure , I'll be in a big hurry to tell someone with such obvious disdain for youth where the young people who are into vintage vacuum tube equipment hang out , Er , , , I think , not ! Just the simple fact of you having no clue of their existence is all it takes to prove you haven't a clue as to what's going on with these young hobbyists , and from the looks of your anti youth rants that distance appears to be a very good thing indeed .......
Old 01-09-2017, 01:42 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On millenials and hobbies, model planes were something that a lot made an attempt, but few stuck with. It doesn't help now that the mags are almost all about the latest "buy and fly", with little on construction. Even when it's construction, it's usually something other than what we'd call "stick and tissue". Slicing a flat wing from foam, sorry, where's the fun in something you can't modify after it's built? Or where's the incentive to modify it while building, make it into your own or something that didn't previously exist.

Arizona, or Aridzona, I'm sorry. I Have nephews that live in the Phoenix area, where I'm perfectly content to not visit. I don't like it here when the temps go into the eighties, but I'll take the winters before I'd go there.,

Rich.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:16 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Donny, before you go moving to the great southwest desert I would recommend spending a few days there in the months of July and August, Manor will never looks so good! My in-laws retired to Mesa, AZ for a while, it was beautiful, a housing development wrapped around a golf course surrounded by Orange groves. Fast forward a few years the orange groves were gone and they were surounded by asphalt and new homes. You could fry your morning eggs and bacon on the sidewalk!
Yes I know! my wife is from Phoenix and I was stationed at Williams A.F.Base (when it was airforce) we were amazed at the changes that took place during our absence, but we are considering the higher elevations and are trying to figure the best place that does not get crazy weather swings, I well remember those orange and grape fruit groves on Baseline road, it sure has changed. It gets plenty hot here also and the tornados here will scare the hell outta ya

I am not sure I want to put up with the sand storms in ARIZ. so we can't seem to get our minds locked into any one place. If we make a move it will be our last.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:12 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ah, the sand storms....nothing to be concerned about unless you are driving on I-10 between Phoenix and Tuscon

Lived in Huntsville Alabama and I really thought that was where I would retire, but moved out here (Phx suburb) about 13 years ago and really love it....do miss the 'building season' as we fly year round - yes even in the summer (7 AM until around 10:00AM), get into my AC auto and drive to my AC McDonalds for a snack, then to my AC home......
Old 01-09-2017, 04:40 PM
acdii

Been to Utah last year, Brice Canyon area. It was hot, but very comfortable. I would consider Utah, but only after doing a lot of research. Colorado is nice too, but again, only after research.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 PM
FlyerInOKC

Was not aware of the history, but did know they were not indigenous to the region .... but I guess one could say they are, having been there for 300 years plus.
I'll tell you something else you may not know, all that lush green grass we spend our money watering and fertilizing and then spend our leisure time mowing aren't indigenous grasses either. Bermuda grass is not from Bermuda but like Kentucky Blue grass, Fescue and all lawn grasses are all native to Asia. Bermuda was first imported by an Englishman to Bermuda and made its way to the USA. The Italians stole pasta from China we and the English stole their grasses! LOL
Old 01-09-2017, 09:14 PM
the pope

Dont tell our New Zealand friends but us aussies invented lamingtons and ugg boots . How cool is that ?????????????
Old 01-09-2017, 10:18 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My urge to travel somewhat disappeared while I was in the navy. That's what other people do, not me.

Rich
Old 01-10-2017, 04:16 AM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by init4fun
Oh yea , suuure , I'll be in a big hurry to tell someone with such obvious disdain for youth where the young people who are into vintage vacuum tube equipment hang out , Er , , , I think , not ! Just the simple fact of you having no clue of their existence is all it takes to prove you haven't a clue as to what's going on with these young hobbyists , and from the looks of your anti youth rants that distance appears to be a very good thing indeed .......
Just as I thought, you can't.

For what it is worth, our company has one of the largest ( if not the largest ) inventory of Electron Tubes in the United States. We supply several repair facilities across America with rare, hard to find tubes including tubes no longer produced. One of our big specialty areas is out of production tubes. There is not a site or forum in existence that specializes in electron tube based equipment that we are not aware of.

Good luck in your future endeavors!
Old 01-10-2017, 04:22 AM
harcosparky

I'll tell you something else you may not know, all that lush green grass we spend our money watering and fertilizing and then spend our leisure time mowing aren't indigenous grasses either. Bermuda grass is not from Bermuda but like Kentucky Blue grass, Fescue and all lawn grasses are all native to Asia. Bermuda was first imported by an Englishman to Bermuda and made its way to the USA. The Italians stole pasta from China we and the English stole their grasses! LOL
I spend nothing on my lawn ..... if it needs water, nature can provide it. If it needs fertilizer, yeah nature can provide that as well. I live on an old farm, no longer commercially farmed we turned most of the land over to mother nature. We do plant a garden here and there to provide us with the produce we use all year long, but here again ...... we do not irrigate or fertilize.

I do get a kick out of the people who spend hours and hours and hours working on their " lush green lawns ", watering them regularly ..... then hear them complain about their water bills! LOL LOL

We could irrigate at a low cost, because we have our own wells ...... but I understand the value of conservation and use water where it is truly needed .... not on frivolous things like lush green grass.

Many things came out of China .... not just pasta ..... like gunpowder!

Last edited by harcosparky; 01-10-2017 at 04:24 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:26 AM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
My urge to travel somewhat disappeared while I was in the navy. That's what other people do, not me.

Rich

My wife gets after me to travel by air for vacations to far away places.

Like yourself, my years in the military turned me off to that.

I spent too much time back then flying everywhere.

Now I enjoy long cross country drives for vacation.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:30 AM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by the pope
Dont tell our New Zealand friends but us aussies invented lamingtons and ugg boots . How cool is that ?????????????
Doesn't Australia also have the markets on Opal cornered?

Back in the 1970's I made two trips to Australia to do business with a company, if I recall correctly their name was " Opal Spectrum ".

It was interesting seeing how they mined the Opal, and I gained great knowledge about how mining affected some aspects of the opal quality.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by the pope
Anybody hear watch "The Ranch" on Netflix? They have some great Ugg Boot jokes in it!

For what it is worth, our company has one of the largest ( if not the largest ) inventory of Electron Tubes in the United States. We supply several repair facilities across America with rare, hard to find tubes including tubes no longer produced. One of our big specialty areas is out of production tubes. There is not a site or forum in existence that specializes in electron tube based equipment that we are not aware of.
My wife has a small (relatively speaking) wood case tube radio from the 40s sitting on the shelf. It's an heirloom of sorts, I like the looks of it. She was watching some movie the other day and there was her radio! I need to take that thing down and plug it in to see if it still works.

My wife gets after me to travel by air for vacations to far away places.

Like yourself, my years in the military turned me off to that.

I spent too much time back then flying everywhere.

Now I enjoy long cross country drives for vacation.
If I take vacations its usually to stay home or to go visit my sister in-law in Tennessee. Even then I will only do a day trip to visit a site of interet like a Civil War Battle field or a museum. I like the idea of a cruise but we are both turned off by the size of the ship, why bother.

Doesn't Australia also have the markets on Opal cornered?

Back in the 1970's I made two trips to Australia to do business with a company, if I recall correctly their name was " Opal Spectrum ".

It was interesting seeing how they mined the Opal, and I gained great knowledge about how mining affected some aspects of the opal quality.
I love Opals they are beautiful stones. Diamonds don't interest me, I would rather look at a colored stone like Opal. Emerald, Ruby, or Alexandrite.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:01 AM
acdii

I bought a hole in the road I throw money into last year, and we took 4 trips in it so far, well, not in it while traveling, only when we got to where we are going. Went to Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, IL and Wisconsin. Stayed in every state.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:48 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by tailskid
Ah, the sand storms....nothing to be concerned about unless you are driving on I-10 between Phoenix and Tuscon

Lived in Huntsville Alabama and I really thought that was where I would retire, but moved out here (Phx suburb) about 13 years ago and really love it....do miss the 'building season' as we fly year round - yes even in the summer (7 AM until around 10:00AM), get into my AC auto and drive to my AC McDonalds for a snack, then to my AC home......

Yeah that sounds about what I am looking for. But make no mistake there will be no grass to cut, exterior walls to maintain, shingles to blow off ETC. ETC. my plan is to eat, breath and do my models Period. I did not return to N.Y. to avoid snow and now I am too old to be bothered by a bunch of other horsepuckery. So not to far in the near future I will use my motorhome to vist ARIZ. to find a plot of land away from neighbors and such to finish my life.

I hope the sand doesn't get to bad in the towns above the phoenix area I've spent enough time dealing with those also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.