Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 08:09 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Yeah that sounds about what I am looking for. But make no mistake there will be no grass to cut, exterior walls to maintain, shingles to blow off ETC. ETC. my plan is to eat, breath and do my models Period. I did not return to N.Y. to avoid snow and now I am too old to be bothered by a bunch of other horsepuckery. So not to far in the near future I will use my motorhome to vist ARIZ. to find a plot of land away from neighbors and such to finish my life.

I hope the sand doesn't get to bad in the towns above the phoenix area I've spent enough time dealing with those also.
If you can handle the steep grades there are a lot of nice places along the scenic route thru the mountains to Phoenix from the eastern route. I made the trip that way several times but you have to have a vehicle that can handle elevations and 6% and 7% grades. I know from my first trip 6% or 7% don't sound like much until you try going up them in a 1978 Civic station wagon with 2 adults and 2 kids! There were times I thought I could have gotten out and pushed faster. A V8 Chevy or Ford works so much better!

My older brother and his wife retired last year and bought a new Leisure Van to live and travel in that lasted about 9 months. Now they have bought a double wide next to the lake and added a garage and solar power to use as a home base. As far as I know they haven't made any more trips yet. I figure give them another 3 to 4 months and their feet will begin to itch.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 01-10-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-10-2017, 08:59 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by harcosparky
My wife gets after me to travel by air for vacations to far away places.

Like yourself, my years in the military turned me off to that.

I spent too much time back then flying everywhere.
The difference is that no-one is going to start shooting at you when you get to your destination.....
Old 01-10-2017, 09:12 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
The difference is that no-one is going to start shooting at you when you get to your destination.....
I don't looking at what has been happening in airports like Brussels and Ft. Lauderdale you start to wonder!
Old 01-10-2017, 11:39 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I knew someone would rise to that one. .
Old 01-10-2017, 11:44 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 01-10-2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: remove post
Old 01-10-2017, 12:01 PM
init4fun

The sad thing about the Florida shooter is that supposedly he recognized he was having mental issues , tried to get help for those issues , and "fell through the cracks" in the system because he apparently wasn't deemed mentally ill enough to get treated , if you believe what the 5:00 news is telling us . If it is really true that he went to the FBI and said the CIA was brainwashing him to fight for ISIS , and yet they let him keep a gun in spite of this , I'd say "the system" failed in rather spectacular fashion in this case ....
Old 01-10-2017, 12:19 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by init4fun
The sad thing about the Florida shooter is that supposedly he recognized he was having mental issues , tried to get help for those issues , and "fell through the cracks" in the system because he apparently wasn't deemed mentally ill enough to get treated , if you believe what the 5:00 news is telling us . If it is really true that he went to the FBI and said the CIA was brainwashing him to fight for ISIS , and yet they let him keep a gun in spite of this , I'd say "the system" failed in rather spectacular fashion in this case ....
It would be interesting if someone could quote what law exists that could allow them to take his weapon away without violating his second amendment rights as defined by a certain organization that I will not name.

Rich.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:23 PM
Greybeard1

Talk about change, two days ago, the temperature struggled to reach anything over ten. Today, and I just looked, forty six, wind and rain. My sinuses are having field day on me. But no, I'll put up with it and stay here. Better than heat.

RIch.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:31 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
It would be interesting if someone could quote what law exists that could allow them to take his weapon away without violating his second amendment rights as defined by a certain organization that I will not name.

Rich.
In Alaska where the shooter is from things may be different , but where I live all you need is to have a disgruntled ex wife take out a restraining order against you , and your gun license is "suspended" for the duration of the restraining order . If a judge declares a person mentally ill , the gun license is suspended till such time that a Doctor signs papers to the effect that the person is no longer mentally ill (good luck getting any Doctor around here to sign such a paper) . And if you have any Felony convictions on your record it's an automatic denial of the gun license even 20 years after the fact .
Old 01-10-2017, 01:36 PM
Greybeard1

Where are you that you need a gun license? AFAIK, if I wanted a gun, all I'd have to do is pass a background check, pay the money and it's mine. But then, the only gun I have is a disabled single shot 20 gauge. Deliberately disabled, it's "Charlie Wallhanger". I know if someone has a felony record, or has been under a doctor's care for mental problems, they will be denied, unless they wander into a gun show, then it's no questions asked.

Rich.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:18 PM
harcosparky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
My wife has a small (relatively speaking) wood case tube radio from the 40s sitting on the shelf. It's an heirloom of sorts, I like the looks of it. She was watching some movie the other day and there was her radio! I need to take that thing down and plug it in to see if it still works.
Be careful in doing that .... problem with old equipment is usually capacitors drying out and failing.

If you can, find someone with a " variac " .... it's a device you plug into the wall, then you plug the radio into it and bring up the AC voltage SLOWLY.

You don't want to hit it with full voltage for the first time after a long time of not being used.

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I love Opals they are beautiful stones. Diamonds don't interest me, I would rather look at a colored stone like Opal. Emerald, Ruby, or Alexandrite.
When I was in South Korea ( US Military ) I took up Lapidary as a hobby along with photography and RC flying.

In lapidary my specialty was non-faceted, semi-precious stones.

A friends father worked in some mines in the southwest where Turquoise was a by-product of whatever they were doing .... so I got lots of that for FREE!
Jade was readily available in that area so I did that as well.
I ordered some Opal and just fell in love with that, and stuck with it. In a 5 lb order I was lucky to find a sample of black opal ...... AMAZING.
From South Korea I took two trips to Australia just to visit the source company and make some buys while there.

One stone that was offered to me for DIRT CHEAP that I turned down, I will always regret ...... it was called Lapiz Lazuli ..... when I got back to the states a Jeweler I dealt with had some ..... marketed just as " Lapiz " and here it was very EXPENSIVE !!!!!!

That was long ago ...... but my wife today still has an amazing set of Opal Jewelry set in platinum ...... I made all the stones, an old Korea jeweler did all the settings.

She also has other things I made in Turqoise and more Opal as well.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:21 PM
init4fun

Hi Rich ,

Here in Massachusetts , you need an "FID" (Firearms Identification) card for all long rifles (even black powder muzzle loaders) and for pistols you need a separate "pistol permit", both of which are issued by the local police chief where the applicant lives . This pistol permit is what most folks refer to as a "gun license" because with even with an FID card if you don't have the pistol endorsement and get caught with a pistol your said to have an "unlicensed gun" and it's an automatic mandatory one year in jail for being unlicensed for the type of firearm your carrying .

Hey , Don't blame me , I'm the one guy living here in liberal land who actually DID vote for Trump !
Old 01-10-2017, 02:27 PM
harcosparky

Yeah well there were times when we had to land fast, disembark on the run and find cover ...... but those were rare.

Of course now today ...... well we all know what happened in Florida!

I never saw the need to travel and vacation internationally, I mean I saw enough of Europe, Asia, and the Middle East among other places thanks to my service in the US Military.

I am very thankful for the opportunities my time in uniform afforded me as I believe I gained an education about those places that one cannot get in school.

Now I am happy to hop in an RV and drive myself cross country to California if need be .... the biggest benefit is getting to see and visit parts of the USA that I would not otherwise see if I had flown.

Air Travel today just isn't worth it ....... what with all the hassles getting from the parking lot to the plane ..... and then everything else that goes along with it.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:33 PM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by init4fun
Hi Rich ,

Here in Massachusetts , you need an "FID" (Firearms Identification) card for all long rifles (even black powder muzzle loaders) and for pistols you need a separate "pistol permit", both of which are issued by the local police chief where the applicant lives . This pistol permit is what most folks refer to as a "gun license" because with even with an FID card if you don't have the pistol endorsement and get caught with a pistol your said to have an "unlicensed gun" and it's an automatic mandatory one year in jail for being unlicensed for the type of firearm your carrying .

Hey , Don't blame me , I'm the one guy living here in liberal land who actually DID vote for Trump !
I honestly do feel sorry for you up there.

It's bad in Maryland, but maybe not as bad as up there.

I have a good friend who moved from Maryland to the Boston area years ago ..... he always talks about how restrictive it is there.

I know he took with him an extensive firearms collection and this was like 30+ years ago ...... a large part of his collection he brought back to Maryland to be kept with his families collection.

Personally I have not purchased a firearm in over 20 years ... no need to as I acquired more than enough in the 20 years prior to that.

Ammunition, that's another story .... I hear they passed some super restrictive law on ammunition purchases in California ..... but I did not look into the details. ( my son told me about it )
Old 01-10-2017, 02:42 PM
harcosparky

California's new laws/regulations, for your reading pleasure.....

I think by the time it is fully implemented, anytime you purchase ammunition that purchase and your information is recorded and sent to the state.

I can imagine the cops knocking on your door ( or breaking it down ) at 3:00 AM because you bought 100 rounds of .22 rimfire ...... Who NEEDS 100 round they will want to know!

http://smartgunlaws.org/ammunition-r...in-california/
Old 01-10-2017, 02:44 PM
harcosparky

I'm glad I am old and can say that I lived in the FREE United States when it WAS a free nation ..... it wasn't that long ago!

I do feel sorry for future generations and what they have coming to them, if they do now wake up and do the right thing !!!!
Old 01-10-2017, 06:26 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I need another R/C airplane like a hole in the head but I have been thinking about this for about a year now and just can't get it out of my head. So I just ordered the wood to build it. I have a Super tigre .90 that I may use but when I get closer I would like to get a Saito 125

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5957
Old 01-11-2017, 02:44 AM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
Well I need another R/C airplane like a hole in the head but I have been thinking about this for about a year now and just can't get it out of my head. So I just ordered the wood to build it. I have a Super tigre .90 that I may use but when I get closer I would like to get a Saito 125

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5957
Nice looking plane .... you should post pics of you build as you go through the process, as I am sure some would be interested.

I love those Saito motors ..... some time ago I had a large scale Cub with a Saito twin in it.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:04 AM
FlyerInOKC

Great looking airplane I'll subscribe if you do a build thread.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:22 AM
init4fun

Originally Posted by harcosparky
Nice looking plane .... you should post pics of you build as you go through the process, as I am sure some would be interested.

I love those Saito motors ..... some time ago I had a large scale Cub with a Saito twin in it.
Yes Sir , although we may disagree about the youngsters , we both are on the same page with the firearms ; It should be far easier for the honest law abiding folks to have them , and it should be far more difficult for the criminals or the mentally ill to have them .

Now , as to Saito twins , here's my 270 right after I installed a new set of bearings from Boca bearings . I have had several ideas of what to put it in , and the leading candidates are a Seagull model's Sparrowhawk or some type of clipped wing Cub or Taylorcraft . Since I already have the Sparrowhawk it'll likely find it's way into that , once I finally get to it .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 52.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	803.0 KB
ID:	2196317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Saito 24.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	857.6 KB
ID:	2196318  
Old 01-11-2017, 08:26 AM
init4fun

PS , you can't see it in the picture , but there were actually three C clamps holding that 4X4 board to the steps , no way would I have run it with only the one clamp that's seen in the picture .....

And also , why is it that when I properly spell "Saito" , the spell check puts red lines under it as though it's been misspelled ?
Old 01-11-2017, 08:38 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

SC doesn't understand Japanese like we do.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:50 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
SC doesn't understand Japanese like we do.

I don't think SC understands anything!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:14 AM
jimbrock2

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

86 last October. I remember U control and rubber power. I remember the escapement RC outfits but never could afford one. I built the Korda rubber champion (might try to build another). I built scale U Control, as well. A Howard Pete was my favorite, although a smaller (class A) Goshawk was prettier. (Now building from plans a modified Goshawk with 94 1/2 inch top wingspan. Modified into an FB2C.)
Flying is a little harder nowadays, what with poor eyesight and aching joints!
Jim Brock, Houston
Old 01-11-2017, 10:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by jimbrock2
86 last October. I remember U control and rubber power. I remember the escapement RC outfits but never could afford one. I built the Korda rubber champion (might try to build another). I built scale U Control, as well. A Howard Pete was my favorite, although a smaller (class A) Goshawk was prettier. (Now building from plans a modified Goshawk with 94 1/2 inch top wingspan. Modified into an FB2C.)
Flying is a little harder nowadays, what with poor eyesight and aching joints!
Jim Brock, Houston

Jim if you have the itch I know a thread you might want to look at but be warned its over 1000+ pages long.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...960-PLANS-ONLY

Mike

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.