Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 01-16-2017, 09:40 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seeing that pic Tele is like a dagger through the heart ! After finishing off the tank bay area in the monocoupe arf and my back on fire I was just about to put it back in the box when u posted your pic . Now I'll have to keep going but not today I need to rest . Tomorrow Im baby sitting the grand kids so that rules that day out . I ordered a canister for a dle 20 wot4 xl so if that comes soon the pope will get distracted and I will end up having another 1/2 started project . Its a hard life ! R u putting a laser engine in that Baron ? We have a similar prob. with the electricity outages in the hot weather although for some reason Im usually unaffected but others can go for ages without power .
P.S tidy the room up . I hate competition .
Old 01-17-2017, 02:27 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

No Pope, the Baron is only a five footer (1.65 metres to be exact.) I plan to power it with an OS 40 Surpass.

You gentlemen may be interested at looking at last year's annual Coupe Des Barons, an annual light-hearted competition responsible for the demise of so many Barons! There are many more Baron videos for you to enjoy on YouTube too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLMHA0ANe8k

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-17-2017 at 02:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:08 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Pope I thought his room was tidy?! Now we know if your grandkids grow up to be derelicts you're to blame! ;-)

Don't forget to get them all hyped on sugar before sending them home, the parents will love you for it!
Old 01-17-2017, 07:09 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
No Pope, the Baron is only a five footer (1.65 metres to be exact.) I plan to power it with an OS 40 Surpass.

You gentlemen may be interested at looking at last year's annual Coupe Des Barons, an annual light-hearted competition responsible for the demise of so many Barons! There are many more Baron videos for you to enjoy on YouTube too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLMHA0ANe8k

No luck on the video blocked by country I'm in.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:17 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Try googling "coupe des barons." You might get something. There are quite a few videos on YouTube, different years.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Try googling "coupe des barons." You might get something. There are quite a few videos on YouTube, different years.
I found a 2016 video I could view here is a link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S60CBmRdLIQ
Old 01-17-2017, 04:32 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Pope I thought his room was tidy?! Now we know if your grandkids grow up to be derelicts you're to blame! ;-)

Don't forget to get them all hyped on sugar before sending them home, the parents will love you for it!
Hi there OKC , yeh the sugar and dont forget the drum kit . That will win over the parents for sure !
Old 01-17-2017, 06:22 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Man the weather this week is just plain miserable! Rain, Freezing rain, fog, temps hovering just at or above freezing.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:39 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acdii
Man the weather this week is just plain miserable! Rain, Freezing rain, fog, temps hovering just at or above freezing.
Same thing hear except we got about 4 inches of snow first then the sleet and rain. I was lucky it all started after I got off work, and don't go back till Saturday, so I am getting a lot of shop time on my super cub doing a lot of scale things I have never done before and it is turning out to be frustrating fun

Cheers Bob T
Old 01-17-2017, 07:58 PM
the pope

Whats snow ?
Old 01-17-2017, 08:17 PM
acdii

Its something Hell doesnt have.

What sucks worse is there is no where for the water to go, so my pastures and yard are flooded, and most likely will become sheets of ice making it more difficult to get the horses out. They have been stall bound for weeks now.

What really sucks is after the wreck I haven't touched my planes, been too busy taking care of paperwork and other things. Hoping to get back to the bench and get the stab for the B-25 built now that I have the G10. Glass should be here on Friday too.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:27 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by the pope
Hi there OKC , yeh the sugar and dont forget the drum kit . That will win over the parents for sure !
Or you will get even with them for their childhood shenanigans!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:32 PM
acdii

LOL We get even with the grandparents, we load them up with sugar and send them over there for the day.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:36 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
LOL We get even with the grandparents, we load them up with sugar and send them over there for the day.
And you will wonder why they will quit babysitting!
Old 01-17-2017, 08:41 PM
tejasnumu

Donnyman, you have a number of years on me. I was born towards the end of WWII. I like your concept. Don't know how the folks that monitor forums will react to stuff folks have to say that might be construed as negative. I joined AMA when I built my first slope plane. I didn't know how to fly proportional or any other radio control or input. I bought an Orbit from a guy making them in Irvine or Orange. That was about 1971 but I had been building stick and tissue rocks for a number of years but I had no mentors and I had no idea what CG was. I was making some pretty ceiling hangers but it was up hill all the way. One neat thing was an old blacksmith told me if I couldn't find Ambroid or Testors, I could melt the color clear tooth brushes and fill a Mason jar with Acetone (he repaired canoes with it.) I was 12 and bought a surplus ship raft in San Pedro. Had enough balsa and glue to build just about anything except they wouldn't fly. I drug it about a mile before a fella in a truck took me almost all the way home (miles and miles.) He asked if I was "putting out to sea." I said I was gonna build model planes. He looked at me like I was crazy. What topics do your think you would like to see from interested old folks. Gosh, I just realized; we are living history or maybe tarpits.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:47 PM
the pope

Or you will get even with them for their childhood shenanigans!
I tell u what No matter how much more time i have on this planet it still wont be enough to get over the son's childhood antics . Thats who Im baby sitting for and no matter what those grandkids do I;ll sit back and laugh cause karmas a ***** . I still here new stories everytime I catch up . Amazingly he has turned out to be a fine young man . The daughter on the other hand has been a angel from day one .She has just moved back home ( issues with the boyfriend ) and she can stay until she drops dead and I couldnt care less . Shes as beautiful on the inside as on the outside .
Old 01-18-2017, 06:37 AM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Whats snow ?
I saw pictures of it once. Great flying here though, just hot in the summer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170115_135608.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2197186  
Old 01-18-2017, 06:38 AM
FlyerInOKC

The daughter on the other hand has been a angel from day one .She has just moved back home ( issues with the boyfriend ) and she can stay until she drops dead and I couldnt care less . Shes as beautiful on the inside as on the outside .
So she is a total opposite of her old man!!! ;-)
Old 01-18-2017, 07:24 AM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whats snow ?
Well I hear you bloks do have some mountains that get a bit during your winter

It is that white stuff that falls from the sky, and looks so nice when looking through your window with a nice fire in the fire place , except when you have to be out in it

Cheers Bob T
Old 01-18-2017, 07:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by rt3232
Well I hear you bloks do have some mountains that get a bit during your winter

It is that white stuff that falls from the sky, and looks so nice when looking through your window with a nice fire in the fire place , except when you have to be out in it
Cheers Bob T
Listen to Bob he knows what he is talking about. He's from Minnesota an old Indian word meaning "Brain too frozen to smarten up and move south.".

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 01-18-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 11:19 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by tejasnumu
Donnyman, you have a number of years on me. I was born towards the end of WWII. I like your concept. Don't know how the folks that monitor forums will react to stuff folks have to say that might be construed as negative. I joined AMA when I built my first slope plane. I didn't know how to fly proportional or any other radio control or input. I bought an Orbit from a guy making them in Irvine or Orange. That was about 1971 but I had been building stick and tissue rocks for a number of years but I had no mentors and I had no idea what CG was. I was making some pretty ceiling hangers but it was up hill all the way. One neat thing was an old blacksmith told me if I couldn't find Ambroid or Testors, I could melt the color clear tooth brushes and fill a Mason jar with Acetone (he repaired canoes with it.) I was 12 and bought a surplus ship raft in San Pedro. Had enough balsa and glue to build just about anything except they wouldn't fly. I drug it about a mile before a fella in a truck took me almost all the way home (miles and miles.) He asked if I was "putting out to sea." I said I was gonna build model planes. He looked at me like I was crazy. What topics do your think you would like to see from interested old folks. Gosh, I just realized; we are living history or maybe tarpits.
hello!

We make a set, I was born six months before the war started for us. this thread has been going for quite sometime now and for the most part has not stepped on many toes so I think we will survive a bit longer the old timers here don't tolerate fools lightly.

you are not the only one that knew little about C.G.'s and I learned about making glue (1950's) much the same as you except we melted movie film and picture negatives in acetone.

Many of us back in the day dragged home chunks of wood for our models times were "ruff" do you have any pics of the good old days to share with us?
Old 01-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Listen to Bob he knows what he is talking about. He's from Minnesota an old Indian word meaning "Brain too frozen to smarten up and move south.".

When I was in the Navy, home port was Mayport Florida. Taught me one thing, there are worse things than snow. Had one guy from the Florida Keys in our division, didn't believe there was any such thing as snow, until we pulled into Valencia Spain in the winter. He's a believer now, and while it was snowing, it wasn't even very cold, maybe around freezing. After four hours of watch on the flight deck, he acted like he was froze to death. For me, miserable was pulling back into Mayport. Hot, humid, and whatever flower they have there is just a constant stench. Got out while the ship was in the Philipines, San Francisco in January felt good. OH, yeah. I don't shovel snow, I pay other people to do that.

Rich.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:00 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Greybeard1
For me, miserable was pulling back into Mayport. Hot, humid....
Funny thing is though, on the beach I never see women wearing navy uniforms complaining how hot they are. Maybe they weren't mixing your cocktails right?
Old 01-18-2017, 12:40 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Whats snow ?
I think that they may have some in Tasmania or in the Snowy Mountains in July or August; I suppose that's why they called them the Snowy Mountains. You will be able to go and look at it while the rest of us swelter in shorts and sandals! .
Old 01-18-2017, 02:02 PM
the pope

So she is a total opposite of her old man!!! ;-)

Darn tooten !

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.