Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2017, 03:10 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by J330
Funny thing is though, on the beach I never see women wearing navy uniforms complaining how hot they are. Maybe they weren't mixing your cocktails right?

Could be they aren't wearing regulation Navy, of that time. That cloth was heavier than it looked. Up around Eau Claire, it can get pretty hot and miserable, which explains why I don't live in that area. And, surprising as it may seem, I was never a drunken sailor, or anything else. Teetotaler for seventy five years, think I'll stay that way. Why change now?

Rich.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:57 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I've had sunburn through my shirt! I'm 180 miles south of Jax. It's not hot. It's just a really big microwave. July and August are my indoor building months, but we do try to fly right after sunrise on weekends, clear out by 11am. Cotton T shirt actually helps.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:26 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I have always had a soft spot for the Hawker Hurricane, especially after the BBC filmed a documentary about sergeant pilots in the Battle of Britain. I believe that about 30% of the pilots who flew in the Battle of Britain were NCOs. In this film a trio of sergeant pilots was posted to a Hurricane squadron. When the CO asked how many hours they had had on Hurricanes, one of them, a man from South Wales going on the accent said, "Sir, we've never even seen one." So the squadron leader arranged for them to fly one which each of them did successfully. They were in action against the Germans the following day each man with 20 minutes experience of flying the Hurricane. The former sergeant pilot then went on to praise the rugged qualities of the Hurricane and told us that he converted to Spitfires in 1941 by which time he was quite a good pilot and he had no difficulties learning to fly the Spitfire. Had he been sent to a Spitfire squadron in 1940, the wheels would have come up through the wings on his first landing!

Imagine my surprise therefore when I discovered that Warbirds Replicas, a small British kit manufacturer were not going to make the Hurricane anymore. http://www.warbirdreplicas.co.uk/The proprietor said that he'd had several enquiries about the Hurricane but when he produced a batch, few people actually bought one and it took him a long time to shift those he had in stock. All of the other Hurricane kits I've seen were either too big, too small or foamies. I sent an email to the owner asking him how many firm orders he needed to produce a batch. He replied ten.

On 11th January I started a thread on the British RCM&E website asking for people to state publicly that they'd be prepared to buy a kit and within four days we'd reached the target. The "squadron strength" now stands as 12.

It just goes to show you....
Old 01-19-2017, 03:12 PM
smoketrailcharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I turn 80 iin feb. I remember the day the Japanese bombed pear Harbor,No experience building or flying but that is in the very near future,Don;t want to start a war but would like opinions of you favorit war bird regardless of country.Pros and cons on the real birds..I always loved to watch the P 51 and p47.Lots of memories of the war years.Band conserts playing patriotic music,Pledge of Allegiance in school scrap drives to turn our scrap into fighting equipment.My Mother gave me an aluminum ice cube tray to throw on the scrap drive pile and told me it would be used to make an airplane with.At 4 years old I could just picture a flying ice cube tray going to war.I just received a Foamie for my 80th ,Hope you still allow such stuff. I really admire you guys that build and fly em,Best to all Smoke trail Charlie
Old 01-19-2017, 10:46 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I can understand that Americans love the P51 and P47 and as the USA is a populous nation and the richest nation on earth, I can understand why the manufacturers produce lots of P51s and P47s for that market. The Spitfire is a beautiful looking iconic aircraft and I can understand why that is available in quantity. I have just had a look at the catalogue of a major French supplier and they offer the following ARTF Second World War fighters: five different Spitfires, four different P51s, P47s and Corsairs, two different Sea Furies and single specimens of the P40 and the French Dewoitine.

However, if you want something out of the ordinary you have to build it yourself. What concerned me was that a British manufacturer was unable to sell sufficient Hurricanes to make it worth his while. I was convinced that there would be enough British modellers out there who wanted a Hurricane kit to make the production of a batch viable, and I have been proved right. I expect to receive the model in March when I'll turn 69. I'll let you know how I get on with the build and with flying it.

I have limited experience of flying low wing models and have only once flown a fighter, somebody else's Spitfire, and I let him land it as small Spitfires are notorious for tip stalling on the landing approach. However, I have an AT6 just waiting to have its engine fitted so I'll be able to get some "training" flights in with that, thus replicating the experience of the real Battle of Britain pilots who progressed from the Tiger Moth to the AT6 and then on to either the Spitfire or Hurricane!

I have heard that of the WW2 fighters in model form, the P51, the Zero and the FW190 are excellent fliers. I've no experience of flying any of them but that's what I've heard.

Finally Charlie, I trust that your foamie is not a WW2 fighter. They are not for the inexperienced. I have taught many beginners how to fly and most British novices wanted to fly a Spitfire. I said that the Spitfire, or any other similar fighter, should be your third or fourth model after a high wing trainer, a high wing sports model and a low wing sports model, after all, the real Spitfire pilots did not learn to fly on the Spitfire did they?

PS. I'm thinking of finishing my Hurricane in Battle of France colours. Many Hurricanes which were sent to France had the underside of their port wing painted black. The starboard wing was left in natural aluminium or painted sky blue or white. This scheme was supposed to protect Hurricane pilots from "friendly" ground fire. However, if you blokes are nice to me I might finish it in the colours of an Eagle Squadron. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Squadrons

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-19-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:56 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

TELE. sales UK

On the matter of flying low wingers I have heard for years many say "they stall and spin in easier than high wingers" ......... Well I have not noticed this problem but then any new model I fly is taken to altitude and flown with the absolute minimum amount of throttle for as long as I can this gets me accustomed to any low speed bad habits of the bird and landings are quite easy. many tend to slow down too much from too high a altitude resulting in a over controlled crash.

A higher speed approach into the grass is better than a low altitude stall...............................most times!
Old 01-20-2017, 08:07 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Tip stalling is a function of wing loading. There is no difference in low wing and hi wing. To prevent tip stall build in wash out with the correct amount of wash out tip stall is impossible. The draw back to wash out is it makes inverted flight unstable. All full sized airplanes have wash out except those made for aerobatics. When I go to air shows I make a point of looking at wash out. Even F-18s have a lot of wash out.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Greybeard1

I think, and I may not be right, but it's possible a lot of what is blamed on tip stalling is instead of the "down" aileron at low speed sending that side of the wing above the stalling angle of attack. This results in the "aileron reversal", which isn't, it's just stalling that one wing before the other. My Schweizer 1-26 would go into a stall just fine, until one wing started to stall. Then if I corrected with ailerons, that was all it needed to drop which ever wing I was trying to pick up. Using rudder just before the stall broke would keep it straight and level, but when it broke, you wanted it centered, unless spins were your thing.

RIch.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:18 AM
Joe Fisher

When I used to teach students in full sized I teach oscillation stalls. We keep the stick all of the way back with enough power to hold altitude and keep the wings level with the rudder. There is always aileron reversal in those conditions. This is a real deep stall, the wing is way past critical angle. A tip stall happens when only the tip stalls.
Old 01-20-2017, 01:26 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hay Joe I did not teach but while I was getting my licence, my instructor was an old military primary instructor and he made me due a lot of that so that recovery was automatic and what not to do to get into that problem. So I made a point of staying safe when flying my C-140A and some others. Now I practice it with all of my models and so far I have not had a problem and have demonstrated it to some of our club members .

I would say the first time you do that in a trainer it will scare the s#$t out of you.

Cheers Bob T
Old 01-20-2017, 04:19 PM
Greybeard1

My instructor used to have me look at the floor of the plane, and a minute later, "You have the airplane". Usually nose up thirty degrees or more, banked about forty five degrees, and by then, down almost to stall. You're going to stall, nothing you can do about it then. The worst one for me, be on tow, maybe two hundred feet up, then she pulls the release. It's high enough to make the field, but to say you're in a heightened state of awareness is being honest. The other one was being in a nice thermal, not gaining much, but gaining, going best L/D or thereabouts, and she'd yank the spoilers. I got to the point I flew with one hand on the stick, the other on the spoilers. But stalls, every flight, and usually not just once, but as many as you could get and still be above a thousand feet.

Rich.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:38 PM
Joe Fisher

Ya Bob it is counter intuitive to fly an airplane the way it wants or needs to be flown. When a wing drops a persons normal reaction is to pick it up with the ailerons.That is not always the right thing to do. Landing a tail dragger when it tries to turn left the pilot needs to put the stick to the left and apply right rudder to stop the turn.
Old 01-20-2017, 06:20 PM
donnyman

Once a model is ready for flight the pilot must get it into the air long enough to become accustomed to whatever the bird tries to do. some pilots are better at this than others so altitude is the only saving grace to allow time to do what ever you have to do. when you know it isn't going to go nuts on you finding it's stall charicteristics is paramount, you got to get low and slow to make a good landing sooner or later.

I find the normal flight patterns rather boring my preferred flying is cross wind touch and go's especially in full scale birds. so if you are not one to use the rudder you will always have landing problems.

remember the sequence practice, practice, repair, practice, practice etc. etc.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:00 PM
FlyerInOKC

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I have a TF Sea Fury and a TF P-51D (1/7) waiting their turns to get built.

Since we are discussing WWII I want to share something. My Mom passed on Thursday and the funeral was today. I was going thru some old pictures and I found one of the B-24 my Uncle R.S. (Mom's only brother gone since the 80s.) was a gunner on. I had a picture he had bought off a Sea Bee for a quart of Whiskey when they made an emergency landing in 10/1944. He sent the picture home and it was printed shortly thereafter in the Perry, Oklahoma newspaper.. I Googled the name of the airplane and discovered the Squirrely Shirley is famous. Ironically a baby sister who did in the 1930s was named Shirley. See attachment

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Squirrley Shirly 24.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	2197640  
Old 01-21-2017, 09:31 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Sad to hear your news Flyer.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:34 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Sincerest condolences to you and family. May her soul rest in peace and light perpetual shine on her.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:12 PM
FlyerInOKC

Thanks guys I appreciate it but she was almost 90, she had out lived her whole family and her husband. She was a church deacon, she knew where she was going, and she had a long happy life. She had just started to lose some of her mental sharpness due to her illness. She died surrounded by family without regaining consciousness after suffering cardiac arrest while hospitalized with fluid in her lungs and a resistive UTI. She is now in a better place, we still mourn but not for her loss of life but of our loss of her in our lives. As far as death goes I think God was very merciful to her.
Old 01-22-2017, 04:59 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Sincerest condolences on the passing of your mother.

GREAT plane pic though.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:02 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Thanks guys I appreciate it but she was almost 90, she had out lived her whole family and her husband. She was a church deacon, she knew where she was going, and she had a long happy life. She had just started to lose some of her mental sharpness due to her illness. She died surrounded by family without regaining consciousness after suffering cardiac arrest while hospitalized with fluid in her lungs and a resistive UTI. She is now in a better place, we still mourn but not for her loss of life but of our loss of her in our lives. As far as death goes I think God was very merciful to her.
My condolences Flyer! my mom passed at 92+ year old and I pretty much feel the same as you, we all will see the day.................. GOD bless

I have never seen a B-24 use drag chutes it must have been on a small airfield. I enjoy to old photo's.

Last edited by donnyman; 01-22-2017 at 08:05 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 03:23 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okc originally I came from Wyoming @ 2 my folks and me moved to San Diego Ca, then met the wife who was from fly over land MN came back to visit and just stayed but the winter does give you a lot of building time, when not doing hunny doo's My bro still lives in the S.D aera spent a week there and was glad to get back in good old Minnesota or frozen brain land

Cheers
bob T
Old 01-22-2017, 11:32 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

After breakfast on Saturday morning I decided to have a tee-total weekend as I've been drinking far too much of this delicious and reasonably priced French wine. At about 12.15 the phone rang. It was my mate Gerard who said that they were all up in the club house waiting for me. I had forgotten that it was the "gallette du rois." A "gallette du rois" is a cake, mostly marzipan and choux pastry which is eaten in France at this time of year. It commemorates the arrival of the three kings to the baby Jesus. Each cake has a small figurine in it and if you get the piece with the figurine, you are the king and get to wear a paper crown! However, my club being what it is, the gallette du rois is an excuse for a five course lunch and all the wine you can drink so bang went my tee-total intentions! There are disadvantages to living in the middle of France, but the risk of starvation if you are a member of Berry Marche Modelisme is not one of them! French cuisine may be divided into two parts; "haute cuisine" consists of complicated recipes using expensive ingredients; the other section is the traditional food of the peasantry, the poor even. Our meal was decidedly in the second category! We had noodle soup, pate, a "pot de feu" consisting of boiled beef and boiled mutton, leaks, carrots and potatoes, a cheese course and the gallette as a desert, all washed down with a pretty acceptable Cotes du Rhone! I was in no pain at all when the cheese arrived and I got talking to Pascal who is a forty-something novice but unusually for a Frenchman a Mode 2 pilot. He explained that he'd flown in the past and that he'd mastered a drone, but he'd always crashed fixed wing aircraft. I offered to teach him on one of my own models the next day, i.e. Sunday 22nd January.

I sorted out three models to use with my buddy box; a Telemaster 66 which I'd revived, a high wing foamy electric powered thing called a WOT 4 Foam-E and the Stick. I turned up at the flying field and tried to get the engine in the T66 to start but it flooded all of the time. I've had the engine going in a test stand but not in the model. It was very cold and I began to hope that Pascal would not turn up but he did with his wife in tow. She looks about sixteen years old to me, no wonder he's so slim! Having given up on the Telemaster I tried the WOT 4 Foam-E but that wouldn't work either, it appears that I've lost the binding, so I dragged out the Stick. This is powered by an Irvine 46 which runs well but is difficult to start from cold. However, it started after a few turns on the starter and with everything checked I took off with Pascal on the buddy box. We had a long flight, he did very well, a bit unsteady perhaps but I only had to intervene once or twice. I've always thought that a Stick would make a good advanced trainer now I've proved it!

As I was leaving I saw Gerard talking to another new member, Ludovic. Apparently he has learned to fly on simulators and he's Mode 2 as well. So from being virtually the only Mode 2 pilot in the club, I now have two novices to teach.

C'est la vie as they say over here.

I celebrated with a rather superior Cru Beaujolais last night!
Old 01-23-2017, 03:54 PM
patgene920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good idea, started building stick and tissue in the late 60's and watched my Dad with the early Kraft radios. In his memory I recently started a JR Falcon from scratch. I modified the rudder a little for more authority.
Attached Images          
Old 01-23-2017, 11:10 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I had been an enthusiast for the Telemaster range of models for some time, having passed my A Certificate on one long ago. In 2007 I was made redundant and set up a hobby-business, "Telemaster Sales UK" to sell Telemaster kits and ARTFs throughout Europe. At first things went well. I would pay up front and they would send me the kits at wholesale cost plus the cost of the shipping to the UK. The kits sold steadily throughout the UK and the rest of Europe from Serbia to Ireland. The best sellers were the Telemaster 40 and Senior Telemaster builders' kits and the Senior Telemaster ARTF. I even sold one to a South African who wanted one to photograph the wild life. I expect that he uses a drone now.

With a team of friends we built the whole range from the Micro Telemaster to the STM and we demonstrated them at many of the shows in England. I got on particularly well with a salesman called Brad but he left after a couple of years. I never made a profit; the cost of advertising and of driving to the shows soaked up all of that but I didn't mind as I had no mortgage to speak of, I had taken early retirement and had found a part-time job so was getting by. I became something of an authority on the Telemaster and people used to contact me for advice on their models.

Then the management changed and the policy of sending me kits at cost changed with it. If I remember correctly they wanted something like four times the cost of mailing the kits through the US Mail or sending them via a carrier like UPS. At those prices it would not be viable to import their kits.They told me that I could arrange for a carrier to pick the kits up from their premises but they would not help me to find one.Then they stopped producing the basic Telemaster 40 and Senior Telemaster kits and went over to a slot-together version which was much more expensive. Furthermore they objected to my business containing the name "Telemaster." It was obvious that they did not want to help me to develop my business even though I had sold over 60 of their kits in the past. In view of these much higher shipping costs I doubt if they sold many Telemasters outside the USA after that. Not wanting to have to take on Perry Mason in the British Courts I closed my business in 2010.

I read yesterday that my former supplier has now ceased trading after forty-five years. I feel sorry for all those who have lost their jobs having been in the same situation myself more than once and I do not normally laugh at other people's misfortune but I can't help having certain feelings of schadenfreude this morning.

Name:	Team Telemaster increasing size of models decreasing size of modellers.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	4.22 MB
ID:	2197980  

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-23-2017 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:57 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Re above post. Seems I got my wires crossed. It's Hobby People which is going out of business not Hobby Express.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:49 PM
FlyerInOKC

Thanks for all the condolences guys, it was last January when we loss my and then my mother this January, I'm really starting to dislike January!

I don't know if I am just using it as an excuse or my way of getting my mind of Mom's loss but I ordered one of these. Has anyone here purchased from Limey Bob or built Bud Caddell's Bonanza or Baron designs? I haven't heard any complaints from anyone and Bob was very forthcoming on my questions. He sold me a hardcopy of the plans for less than shown on his website since I was ordering them with the short kit.

http://store.laser-design-services.c...products_id=72

Name:	79_A36_Ext.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	325.6 KB
ID:	2198024  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.