Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 01-25-2017, 04:11 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

Having been told by the Pope in post 3582 to clear up my modelling room, I just had to obey. I mean, you don't say no to the Pope do you even if you were educated in a Church of England school? It wouldn't be polite. So this is what I started with on Sunday morning 22nd January 2017. You catch me just about to load the models into the van. The Telemaster 66's is on the floor, its yellow wing behind it, the Stick 1500 is having its receiver batteries charged and the SLEC Fun Fly, having already been charged up is just waiting for me to put it into the van. The WOT 4 Foam-E which I also took with me is somewhere else. In the end, the engine in the Telemaster refused to start and I lost the binding on the WOT 4, so only the Stick flew that afternoon. This is what we have at 11.05 on Wednesday 25th January. This is the north wall of the spare bedroom which I use as a modelling workshop. In the corner, wrapped in bubble-wrap, is "my" BE2e fuselage and a piece of oak with the template of the curved wing spars for a model of Henri Mignot's Flying Flea. My best friend was building this before he died in 2002. Maybe one day I'll get round to finishing it. He'd cut out a lot of the parts and I still have the plan. Next to that is a small book shelf containing books of an aeronautical nature then eight plastic drawers dedicated to electric flight. A number of miniature pilots await their allocation to aeroplanes on the top of the bookshelf. To the left of the plastic drawers is my building board on top of a pair of old office filing cabinets containing tools, servos, receivers and other stuff. On top of the building board is my Baron 1914 awaiting further work and a spare Baron plan which I had copied for some bloke who never then contacted me to give me his address. Two potential pilots assess the model. The window sill beyond is filled with bottles of adhesive and other essential items, and to the left of the drawers there are two plastic boxes containing my cheap Dremel copy and various bits for the tool. Balsa block is in the white plastic bag and the kit boxes contain, from the bottom, balsa in four-foot lengths, sheet balsa in 3 ft and 1 metre lengths, strip balsa in 3ft lengths and the Baron 1914 kit box. It would make sense to move the strip balsa to the Baron box once I've finished the model now that I live in a country where the metric system is the norm but that would mean throwing away the Junior 60 box and the Junior 60 was my first successful radio-controlled model. You know what I mean! This picture shows my little Veron Cardinal powered by a Mills 75 diesel. It's unflown. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up a bit. The large green and white model is a WOT 4 XL. It needs some cosmetic repairs. It has an Enya 120 FS in it at the moment but I'm thinking of fitting a Laser 150 V Twin to it for a laugh, a a glider tow mechanism to boot! Next to that are a Flair AT6 in American naval colours and, in the bubble wrap, a Brian Taylor AT6. The Flair version is waiting for me to install an OS 61 FS. The BT should be in the loft. It is fitted with retracts while the Flair version has fixed oleos. I've just weighed the two of them. The Flair version fitted with three servos weighs 1.150kg. ( Go on you're all engineers, you can convert the weight to lbs and ozs!)The BT version is nearly twice the weight with no servos but including the weight of the bubble wrap. Hmmm I'm going to have to improve my landings before I fly that one! The XL's wing is to the side of the BT AT6. This picture shows the west wall. Next to the WOT 4 XL's wing and the broom, dustpan and brush I used to tidy the place up are the wrecked wing of a club trainer and three small plastic bags, blue, white and pink. These little bags contain balsa and ply off-cuts too small to be of any practical use. It is my intention to "reduce to product" as they used to say in the RAF, the trainer's wing and when I have finished the Baron, to take these bags, and any others which may become available, to my ex-lover and make a gift of kindling to her, to see whether I can get back into her...affections! I am all electric where I live. The black plastic bag contains general workshop rubbish and will be thrown out when full. The child's wardrobe was left behind by a previous tenant, I have pressed it into service to store yet more modelling stuff. The large cardboard box contains a Supra Fly 45 kit and the yellow white and red model is an Acrowot ARTF awaiting my further attention. The Acrowot may be seen more clearly here. The small cardboard box contain parts which should be stowed in the loft, which takes us back to the beginning. Boxes on the right contain plans, assorted chargers and a Bristol Blenheim kit I said I'd build for a friend. The bucket contains covering film off-cuts. Where's the BE2? Doing duty as a lampshade in the living room! I'm waiting for the weather to improve before flying it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Modelling Room Before (Small).JPG
Views:	102
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	2198121   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modelling Room Before (1) (Small).JPG
Views:	107
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	2198122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modelling Room Before (3) (Small).JPG
Views:	105
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	2198123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modelling Room After (1) (Small).JPG
Views:	111
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	2198128   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modelling Room After (2) (Small).JPG
Views:	103
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	2198131   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modelling Room After (3) (Small).JPG
Views:	97
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	2198134   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modelling Room After (4) (Small).JPG
Views:	115
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	2198135   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modelling Room After (Small).JPG
Views:	99
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	2198136  

Click image for larger version

Name:	BE 2 Lampshade (Small).JPG
Views:	119
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	2198137  
Old 01-25-2017, 05:15 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
With a team of friends we built the whole range from the Micro Telemaster to the STM and we demonstrated them at many of the shows in England. [....] In view of these much higher shipping costs I doubt if they sold many Telemasters outside the USA after that.
I don't think they are selling many kits in US. The 36" (915mm) wingspan .049 size Micro Telemaster kit is $70. the 73" (1855mm) Telemaster 40 is $150. Those are in the cost range of ARF's. There was a large price hike when they revised the kits.
Old 01-25-2017, 02:52 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Some companies just seemed bound and determined to price themselves out of business.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:28 PM
harcosparky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Some companies just seemed bound and determined to price themselves out of business.

Sadly it seems they have no choice .... then price to profit, if they cannot profit ..... they fold.

Markets change as well ...... for kit manufacturers, the number of prospective customers is dwindling as newer generations opt to " buy and fly " as opposed to those who prefer to " build and fly ".

I still build .... mostly small planes from planes ....... small because of the materials available to me locally.

I guess I could online or mail order ... but I choose to support the local supplier so he will be there when I need him.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:15 PM
GallopingGhostler

The owner of one of the oldest hobby stores in Amarillo, Texas passed away about a year ago. No one to take over, it folded. Another hobby store exists, but it is mostly RC vehicles with a much smaller aircraft selection, so accessories and fuel are limited, mostly for RC cars. With hobby stores 95 miles away in three directions (Amarillo TX, Lubbock TX, Roswell NM), I rely a lot on mail order rather than burn $40 in gas each trip.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:18 AM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

It is 6:45 AM I have been sitting here since 4:30AM as I write this and listen to the coyotes howling as if mourning the demise of our hobby as we know it. I know not which way our chosen hobby will travel and I do so miss visiting the hobbyshop and enjoying it's smell (fuel and modelling dope) and the comradery of fellow modelers. If it were not for the large balsa supply I have gathered I too would return to medium to small models and plan build only because the cost of kits is rising and arf's don't do anything for me. I have somewhat resigned my self to the on going changes but I don't like it.

Being on the downside of my life and fighting all the associated aches and pains I am trying to continue in the way of life I have chosen but it seems harder and more expensive every day. climbing the stairs to my shop is killing my knees and I am almost out of breath when I get to the door but the building will definitately continue.

Hang in there my friends the "fat lady ain't sung" yet

OH! have you noticed how popular drones have become? There isn't many stores that don't carry them, they are everywhere.
Old 01-26-2017, 06:53 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I know the feeling, I have to climb stairs to leave my shop which is in the basement, but I usually spend hours down there, and reluctantly leave. I really need to get back to work down there to help alleviate the stress from the past couple weeks since the crash. My B-25 is calling me.

Now to go online and find the hardware I need for the tail so I can get back to it.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:10 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by donnyman
It is 6:45 AM I have been sitting here since 4:30AM as I write this and listen to the coyotes howling as if mourning the demise of our hobby as we know it.
I didn't read it that way, I thought all were expressing their opinions, both good and bad, not all can be seen through rose colored glasses.

I know not which way our chosen hobby will travel and I do so miss visiting the hobbyshop and enjoying it's smell (fuel and modelling dope) and the comradery of fellow modelers. If it were not for the large balsa supply I have gathered I too would return to medium to small models and plan build only because the cost of kits is rising and arf's don't do anything for me. I have somewhat resigned my self to the on going changes but I don't like it.
ARF's are options and they have their place. That's the nice thing about the hobby, one can make the best to suit their situation. If I didn't keep repairing what I have, I wouldn't have 40 year old airplanes in my hangar, including a few old ARF's.

Being on the downside of my life and fighting all the associated aches and pains I am trying to continue in the way of life I have chosen but it seems harder and more expensive every day. climbing the stairs to my shop is killing my knees and I am almost out of breath when I get to the door but the building will definitely continue.
Have you read Amazon: Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD, Cardiologist; Amazon: Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, MD, Neurologist; Amazon: Dr. Grundy's Diet Evolution by Steven Grundy, MD, Cardiologist? When I follow their diet recommendations, the arthritis in my hands and elbows go away. When I stray, it returns. Modern processed grains, processed foods of all types and sugar are the culprits. Many fitness trainers are recommending now to stay off this stuff. Also, if I do at least an hour of cardio (bicycle riding, walking) 3 times a week, I'm not out of breath. There's nothing new under the sun.

Hang in there my friends the "fat lady ain't sung" yet. OH!
If I really want to get depressed, I read the lies in our mainstream media (you know, the 3 letter networks. ) You have heard, Your words were found, and I ate them; and your words were to me a joy and the rejoicing of my heart: for I am called by your name, LORD, God of Hosts (Jeremiah 15:16 NHEB). There is joy in reading the Good News first!

People these days are getting upset because they think that it is the politician's responsibility to heal our land, when it is a personal responsibility:
If my people, who are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land (II Chronicles 7:14 NHEB). There's no mention of politicians in that statement.

have you noticed how popular drones have become? There isn't many stores that don't carry them, they are everywhere.
It's a new fad, stabilization electronics makes drones ideal camera platforms and easy to fly helicopters. Most likely it will pass, like with all things.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:14 AM
FlyerInOKC

OH! have you noticed how popular drones have become? There isn't many stores that don't carry them, they are everywhere.
Yes, and it seems the retailers and the buyers have no clue they need FAA registration or the rules and regulations covering them. I wonder what the fine was for the Drone owner who crashed into the Space Needle whe he came to claim his drone? I'm sure the FAA got his attention!

I miss the local Westlake Ace hardware stores carrying small screws I don't think they have anything smaller than a #4 or #6 and some types don't go that small. We still have a specialty hardware store catering to the aviation industry. Their minimum quantity is usually a 100 in small sizes and I have gotten some items from them like "0" and "00" screws & nuts but they no longer take walk in customers. All orders must be phoned or faxed in.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:52 AM
donnyman

Hey Ghostler

Just for the record I was actually listening to live coyotes howling, we have quite a large population here. This one likes the figs from the tree outside my bedroom window.

Name:	DSCF0108.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	2198283  
Old 01-26-2017, 12:06 PM
FlyerInOKC

Hey Ghostler

Just for the record I was actually listening to live coyotes howling, we have quite a large population here. This one likes the figs from the tree outside my bedroom window.
He likes figs? What did you name him "Skidmark"? ;-)
Old 01-26-2017, 04:01 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Around here the Yotes are scoped 30-06 fodder.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:02 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acdii
it's to bad the human race is growing so fast to out pace wild animals but I do under stand when they are to close do to a lot of disease, it is still nice to hear them we stayed in a little rent a cabin some of the ntl. parks now offer and had a fire in the out side pit and they do have an eerie sound. the park ranger told us we might hear them and possibly a wolf, and the next morning we found some vary large paw marks in the soft ground around the fire pit, even tho we put water on the coals

sorry for the long story but good memories

Cheers Bob T
Old 01-26-2017, 08:05 PM
GallopingGhostler

Hey Ghostler, Just for the record I was actually listening to live coyotes howling, we have quite a large population here. This one likes the figs from the tree outside my bedroom window.
Donny, this is Internet. We've got no face to face discussion, where one can ask and the other clarify what is being said. That said, anything can be mis-interpreted. I didn't know you were physically referring to the critters called coyotes. This perhaps why that I don't spend much time in forums these days, ditto with Facebook. There's just too much other things to do.

So, my apologies ....
Old 01-26-2017, 11:15 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

None of us are getting any younger. I have lost two fillings since Christmas and thought I had another filling come loose but while eating an orange yesterday, the entire lower part of the tooth broke away. Once I'd rescued the tooth from my mouth I found that it had two neat wire pegs fitted to it so it must have broken in the past and it must have been repaired by a dentist but I have no recollection of this! I must be getting old! Good job I made an appointment to see a local dentist on 24th January but she's so popular that she can't see me until late March. Meanwhile, I'm in no pain and have no problems eating. The dental receptionist told me to phone should I get tooth ache and they'd fit me in.

I am keeping up my afternoon walks and photographed some frozen streams yesterday. Sights such as these are unusual in England but I suspect common in the northern states and Canada. My friend's father is coming over in February to help her with the lambing and as he likes flying model aircraft I've offered offered to let him have a go on mine. On a buddy box initially to be sure! We'll all feel much better by then. As I write this, in the northern hemisphere it's the depths of winter, but once the lambs arrive, can Spring be far behind? Then we'll drag our winter creations out and go flying!

As for drones Donny, they're common here too and that has lead to a little local difficulty in the club. Drones are all sold with a Mode 2 transmitter and most Frenchmen are Mode 1. I am Mode 2 and a qualified instructor with the British Model Flying Association and while the club's president is happy for me to teach a man who tried to learn to fly in the past on Mode 2 but failed, he is determined to convert a younger man without that experience to Mode 1! I am quite happy to teach the young fellow using my equipment and my model and although my French isn't bad it is not good enough to conduct an argument with the president!

Name:	Frozen Streams near Dun Le Palestel (3).jpg
Views:	109
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	2198378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frozen Streams near Dun Le Palestel.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	2198379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frozen Streams near Dun Le Palestel (1).jpg
Views:	95
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	2198380   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frozen Streams near Dun Le Palestel (2).jpg
Views:	90
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	2198381  

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-26-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:38 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Excerpt from Galloping Ghostler's recent post, " (you know, the 3 letter networks. ).

Now let me see there's: ABC, NBC, CNN, SKY and FOX. Not sure if you can get the BBC where you live. .
Old 01-27-2017, 04:12 AM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by acdii
We used 22-250 and 5.56mm down on Texas for them years ago ..... they were paying a bounty back in the day.

30-06 seems a bit overkill.

Old 01-27-2017, 04:20 AM
harcosparky

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
It's a new fad, stabilization electronics makes drones ideal camera platforms and easy to fly helicopters. Most likely it will pass, like with all things.
Spoke to the owners of two Hobby Shops that made a killing selling Drone back in Christmas 2015 ............

Christmas 2016 was not so kind to them in drone sales ...... it seems the fad may be fading.

The both said the FAA might have a lot to do with it because sales for non-registration drones was flat, where sale of drones that require registration fell like a drone that lost power.

One also said many customers were growing tired of repairing crash damage, it was as if the people bought the drones thinking they were so easy to fly anyone could do it AND were invincible.

He also noted a resistance by many for the flying advice he offered. ( they needed no help because they knew all they need to know )

Life marches on ...... I am about to unbox me 1/4 Scale beauty this weekend !!!!!

Who knows ..... time will tell.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:18 AM
FlyerInOKC

[QUOTE=Telemaster Sales UK;12300136]I am quite happy to teach the young fellow using my equipment and my model and although my French isn't bad it is not good enough to conduct an argument with the president!

[QUOTE]

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Excerpt from Galloping Ghostler's recent post, " (you know, the 3 letter networks. ).

Now let me see there's: ABC, NBC, CNN, SKY and FOX. Not sure if you can get the BBC where you live. .
I thought Frenchmen were like wives impossible to win an argument with! We do get the BBC News Service over here on Public Radio in the afternoon and a lot of the better British TV shows include BBC and iTV on Public Television.

I got my new toy yesterday check out that good old American made workmanship! Ron Sexton makes them over in Louisiana. I mailed the order on Friday and got it yesterday priority mail! He rates it to handle anything from a .020 to a 150 cc engine including twins, quads, radials.

Name:	P1100843.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	2.96 MB
ID:	2198401   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100842.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	2.74 MB
ID:	2198402   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1100841.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	2.97 MB
ID:	2198403  
Old 01-27-2017, 06:21 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by harcosparky
He also noted a resistance by many for the flying advice he offered. ( they needed no help because they knew all they need to know )
As they say you can't fix "stupid"!

So don't keep us waiting post pictures of that 1/4 scale kit and where is the building log at? ;-)
Old 01-27-2017, 06:24 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Donny, this is Internet. We've got no face to face discussion, where one can ask and the other clarify what is being said. That said, anything can be mis-interpreted. I didn't know you were physically referring to the critters called coyotes. This perhaps why that I don't spend much time in forums these days, ditto with Facebook. There's just too much other things to do.

So, my apologies ....
I accept the apology though it is not required I should have chosen my words with more care. To be honest I was amused by your response because I know you to be a good person and realized my goof immediately....THANKS!

my apologies to you sir.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:46 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by rt3232
it's to bad the human race is growing so fast to out pace wild animals but I do under stand when they are to close do to a lot of disease, it is still nice to hear them we stayed in a little rent a cabin some of the ntl. parks now offer and had a fire in the out side pit and they do have an eerie sound. the park ranger told us we might hear them and possibly a wolf, and the next morning we found some vary large paw marks in the soft ground around the fire pit, even tho we put water on the coals

sorry for the long story but good memories

Cheers Bob T
Long story more like a footnote, I for one enjoy the stories long or short, and pictures are a delight. got any more?

I concur with you about crowding out our wild life that is the primary reason I do not permit hunting on my property unless the animal presents a threat it is safe here. The coyotes and hawks keep the rabbit population at tolerable levels and all the creatures amuse me. that picture I posted of the coyote is one of many, I watched it for quite some time over several days as it ate the figs. It fastenates me to watch a coyote literly vanish in the grass as it moves along only a few get very large. my only negative response was to turn on the outside lights one night when one started howling beneath my window which is the way we run them off ....No more howling by the house!
Old 01-27-2017, 07:15 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I got my new toy yesterday check out that good old American made workmanship! Ron Sexton makes them over in Louisiana. I mailed the order on Friday and got it yesterday priority mail! He rates it to handle anything from a .020 to a 150 cc engine including twins, quads, radials.

[/QUOTE]

Nice piece of kit Flyer.

Must dash off to the commune's AGM. You get a free drink you know!
Old 01-27-2017, 07:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

Long story more like a footnote, I for one enjoy the stories long or short, and pictures are a delight. got any more?

I concur with you about crowding out our wild life that is the primary reason I do not permit hunting on my property unless the animal presents a threat it is safe here. The coyotes and hawks keep the rabbit population at tolerable levels and all the creatures amuse me. that picture I posted of the coyote is one of many, I watched it for quite some time over several days as it ate the figs. It fastenates me to watch a coyote literly vanish in the grass as it moves along only a few get very large. my only negative response was to turn on the outside lights one night when one started howling beneath my window which is the way we run them off ....No more howling by the house!
My Cousin has been retired from Beechcraft for sometime and lives on the same farm his grandfather got in the landrun near Dover Oklahoma. He enjoys the sounds of the Cyotes at night and quite often to his delight he'll hear a Buck snorting outside the kitchen window when he gets up to make the coffee before sunup..
Old 01-27-2017, 11:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

Hey Telemaster check this out! I was looking at the site where I ordered a Bonanza A36 sort kit and plans when I found this:

http://store.laser-design-services.c...roducts_id=257

He is also offering a short kit for the Classic Ugly Stik , 100" Ugly Stik, and the NotForSale and a lot of others designs I recognize from back in the day.

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 01-27-2017 at 11:23 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.