Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 01-27-2017, 11:40 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

We have barn cats, and a small dog with an unfenced yard, so yotes around by me better stay away. As long as they are far enough away I don't mind them, but I don't need them spooking my horses or going after the barn cats. A 30-06 may seem like overkill, but line the shot up just right, sometimes you can get a two for one special. Living out in the middle of no where, has its advantages and disadvantages.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:01 PM
rt3232
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well as long as you fellows don't mind stories shortly after ai got my privet a good friends younger bro go washed out of the air force pilot training program for lack of hrs flying or herding as he called it a F-1oo, and that was do to weather , any way when he got home the local radio was commenting on the great amount of wales traveling south and right off shore ( San Diego) point loma I ask him if he would go along to take pictures, well we were flying a T-craft so you had to push a door open to take pictures, we stayed about 200 ft above the water Oh before we took off I ask if he would like to fly , and he said sure well the take off was smooth as glass straight down the C/L with a 15 mph 20deg cross wind to be honest I was surprised as this was his first time in this light of a airplane so now we are getting ready to enter the pattern (no radio ) and just VFR, his moneuvers were nice and clean and when we got to about 50 ft he just planted he feet on the rudder pedals we touched down and immediately went into a big ground loop, got the controls and went off the side of the runway got back in the air just cleared a qusant building with CAP guys diving off as they were recoating the roof, went around and I landed after we got stopped I ask why he just planted he feet that way , his ensure was that the way you landed a F-100 till it was rolling on the wheels because you had so little control the last 10 seconds, he called it a controlled crash, so the moral of this is don't trust any one with equipment of any kind un till you know they are qualified. He later got his commercial and instructors permit and worked at it till he got married and had to find a well paying job.

Cheers Bob T

PS He took the paint off the right wing tip but did not get to the fabric
Old 01-28-2017, 09:22 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

FLYERINOKC

The Bonanza......OR banana as we called it in our full scale flying club was a very popular bird, both the standard and "v" tail versions. The piper comanche was another especially with the larger engine. Bill effinger put out a plan of it real nice. comanche plans.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:15 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
We have barn cats, and a small dog with an unfenced yard, so yotes around by me better stay away. As long as they are far enough away I don't mind them, but I don't need them spooking my horses or going after the barn cats. A 30-06 may seem like overkill, but line the shot up just right, sometimes you can get a two for one special. Living out in the middle of no where, has its advantages and disadvantages.
Where I live on an acre lot toward the outskirts of the city, haven't seen yotes except road kill outside the city. However, 2 years ago in early morning saw a mule deer galloping down our street. Until the 30 acre lot behind our house became an overnight neighborhood, we had prairie dogs. There are still 2 gray foxes that occasion our yard, passing though. Seems cute like someone's pet (they're used to seeing people), but know they are wild.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:20 AM
acdii

I am surrounded by corn/soy fields on three sides and a few houses behind us. I have 5 acres with a barn. Across the road from me you can see for at least a mile, no houses or buildings in that direction and there is a stream/creek/river depending on rainfall about a half mile from the road. That is where the Yotes hang out. One day I saw one with an ACME package. Been nervous ever since.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:10 PM
smoketrailcharlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys ,Took my fifst ever fixed wing flight Friday.a Sensie fomie,(sorry about that )Got to start somewhere.I discovered with aileronns My rudder turns ony one direction.Is thaat normal?Using tactic 850 transmitter,Short but exciting flight with only a brioken prop on landing.I am Hooked.Best to all S.T.C.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:56 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well guys i just got a vintage royal kit of the Spirit of Saint Louis in the mail. near perfect shape, no sun fading on the box.
plans are clear and crisp!
anyone interested in buying? im going to list on ebay this week.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:26 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Charlie, I'm not familiar with the Sensie and a picture would help but am I right in inferring from your description that it is a four-channel, electric-powered, tractor, foam monoplane? In other words it has an electric motor and propeller at the front, ailerons, elevator and rudder. Am I right?

Then to answer your question the rudder should have equal travel in both directions, so there's something wrong with the way the model's been set up and you need to sort it out before flying again..
Old 01-29-2017, 06:36 AM
donnyman

I am surrounded by corn/soy fields on three sides and a few houses behind us. I have 5 acres with a barn. Across the road from me you can see for at least a mile, no houses or buildings in that direction and there is a stream/creek/river depending on rainfall about a half mile from the road. That is where the Yotes hang out. One day I saw one with an ACME package. Been nervous ever since.
It seems coyotes are everywhere but we must admit the expansion of mankind into ther habitat is forcing them to encroach into ours. but for the most part coyotes will avoid man but I have seen them use cats and small dogs and chickens as a food source my nieghbor lost six cats and blamed my dogs while her driveway was littered with coyote droppings. short of the sick ones (rabies) I haven't found them to be a threat.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:23 AM
acdii

No doubt about encroachment. Just a few miles away they ripped out a wooded area to put up houses, this was before the crash, and now its nothing but big empty weed filled lots with a road. There is another one a little further southeast of here that they did the same thing and put in a golf course with half million $ homes, again, most lots sit vacant, and the houses are empty. All that habitats for wildlife were destroyed, and what could have been used as farm land is now covered with clay and infertile soil. The destruction greed causes is immeasurable.
Old 01-29-2017, 02:33 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

“Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
When he bares his teeth, winter meets its death,
And when he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again.”

C.S. Lewis, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

There will be a lot of things changed when the King returns.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:41 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not looking forward to having Lions hear in the USA , they would be to fat with all the fodder available

Cheers Bob T
Old 01-29-2017, 07:58 PM
patgene920

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built a Gillows Cessna 150, I loved the smell of Ambroid glue. Those were some great times 1971. Fast forward, I'm ready to cover a Gillows SE5 laser cut kit.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:55 AM
donnyman

No doubt about encroachment. Just a few miles away they ripped out a wooded area to put up houses, this was before the crash, and now its nothing but big empty weed filled lots with a road. There is another one a little further southeast of here that they did the same thing and put in a golf course with half million $ homes, again, most lots sit vacant, and the houses are empty. All that habitats for wildlife were destroyed, and what could have been used as farm land is now covered with clay and infertile soil. The destruction greed causes is immeasurable.
Yes! since I moved here more than a dozen housing neighborhoods have been built and several others are constantly expanding, All used to be farm land, Thousands of acres covered in concrete and asphalt. the wildlife hasn't got a chance.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:58 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by patgene920
I built a Gillows Cessna 150, I loved the smell of Ambroid glue. Those were some great times 1971. Fast forward, I'm ready to cover a Gillows SE5 laser cut kit.
Hey where are you located in Austin? I am only a few miles from you in Manor, Welcome aboard! Do you frequent A.R.C.A. field?
Old 01-30-2017, 08:38 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by donnyman
Yes! since I moved here more than a dozen housing neighborhoods have been built and several others are constantly expanding, All used to be farm land, Thousands of acres covered in concrete and asphalt. the wildlife hasn't got a chance.
The wild life is reasonably safe here as the human population is quitting the area in droves! . Mind you, they have to watch out for marksmen on Sunday mornings.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:49 AM
acdii

Thats cause they all be coming to America where it will be Great!

And in case you missed it, that was sarcasm, lots of sarcasm, just dripping like an overbuttered piece of toast sarcasm.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:46 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
FLYERINOKC

The Bonanza......OR banana as we called it in our full scale flying club was a very popular bird, both the standard and "v" tail versions. The piper comanche was another especially with the larger engine. Bill effinger put out a plan of it real nice. comanche plans.
In high school I just to chip in and go flying with a friend that had his license. He would rent a little 4 seater Piper for not a whole lot back when gas was cheap. I suspect that is why I have been wanting a relatively modern 4 seater civilian low wing airplane in my hanger for sometime. I have looked at every Top Flite Bonanza and Arrow II kit coming up for sale but the prices have been a little rich then you add in retracts, engine, radio gear it gets expensive fast. This short kit was only $150 + $9 for a hardcopy of the plans and shipping so it much more reasonable. The biggest expense will be the retracts at $400 for the Bonanza/AT-6 gear Robart makes. The price includes struts, everything but the tank & valve kit. That is still cheaper than buying it piecemill. I looked at theCentury21Jet gear they about the same price but the guys who have used them locally have had complaints about strut failures, all of them have switched to Robart which appears to solve the problem (Their landings have improved either.). The article indicated the designer used the method of carving blue foam to make a form for the cowling and the cockpit cover/windshield.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:51 AM
FlyerInOKC

I took a trip to Mustang, OK via Yukon, OK this weekend. I remember the street between the two towns when it was tweo lane with nothing much in between them except the odd farm and a lot of open land. Now its a wide 4 lane street with housing additions one after another and they aren't cheap homes either!
Old 01-30-2017, 04:46 PM
acdii

OK, speaking of costs. My B-25 to date,

Plans $75
Full Wood kit $450
Glue so far $24
Glass cloth $54
2 Rudder servos (thin) $75
wire for hinges add to the above
retracts $100 <--STEAL DEAL
Misc wood $30

And to think I still need engines and servos for the elevator, gear doors, ailerons, flaps, etc. Not to mention paint, decals, wheels, canopy kit and cowls. Looks the Rascal would have been less expensive, but wont have that WOW the B-25 will.

Searching for a smaller P-61 at the moment, either a VQ or ASM. Its the right size for a pair of FS 91 or FA 100.
Old 01-30-2017, 09:10 PM
FlyerInOKC

No one ever said this hobby was cheap!
Old 01-30-2017, 09:33 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Thats cause they all be coming to America where it will be Great!

And in case you missed it, that was sarcasm, lots of sarcasm, just dripping like an overbuttered piece of toast sarcasm.
Never knew that Americans did irony! .
Old 01-31-2017, 05:49 AM
acdii

Dude, I put the Iron in Irony!
Old 01-31-2017, 06:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Never knew that Americans did irony! .
Well we did elect Trump. ;-)

In your honor I found a new source to procure the Classic Telemaster in the 99" wingspan size! http://carolinacustomkits.com/planes.html

And for you guys who's wives, girlfriends, or in the case of The Pope and O.F., your sheep, who may be looking for something for you for Valentine's Day show them this link: http://sayitwithbeef.com/shop/roses/
Old 01-31-2017, 09:06 AM
acdii

That was just BAAAAAD

LMFAO

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.