Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 09:49 AM
harcosparky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tailskid
Sorry to hear about your troubles Donny...but 30 year old ANYTHING will need repairs.....that's why I fly new airplanes - all the others ("Old" ones) usually crash after a month or two . That way I don't have to waste my time on repairs (ha ha).
The old ones can be rebuilt .... time after time after time ..... just need a little wood, glue, and covering!

This new stuff I see nowadays ...... not so much.

I was looking at a new Hangar-9 ARF 1/4 Scale Cub because it is built of balsa and such much like the old stuff ..... so I can pretty much make repairs when needed.

However I wonder about the new people who get into the hobby and lack the skills need to do such repairs?

Now this plane is not cheap, $1,199.00 ( motor and servos installed )and repair parts IF AVAILABLE are rather expensive ....... like $237 for HALF a wing. I believe a fuselage is over $300.00. So that $737.00 for a complete wing and fuselage, IF they are available ...... and at least one wing section is on backorder.

But wait? What's that? A complete ARF 'kit' minus motor and servos is $615.00. A dealer is willing to sell me the PNP plane for $1050.00 and the ARF kit for $550.00 Oh and the complete ARF kit is in stock. I might just go ahead and pull the trigger on the both of them. Gonna offer the dealer $1500 for both!

Might even just build them both up ...... side by side and just own two flying Super Cubs!
Old 02-14-2017, 10:20 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Speaking of old stuff.. I built my home over 30 years ago and took extra effort to prevent problems and reduce required maitenance. well three days ago I found a water puddle in the dining room and just knew it was a spill, two days later another puddle a few feet away from the last and the wife said the floor beside the stove was hot .......well today I am faced with a hot water leak under the slab.

I have no intent to tear up my slab so I am considering running a new line thru the attic with some of that plastic hosing or running a pvc line on the outside of the house, I have a lot of pvc pipe so thats the way I will probably go till then the hot water is turned off and the floor is dry.

when in heavens name do I get a chance to just chill out? I have been making repair for the last four months, as soon as I get some stuff cleared from my land a for sale sign goes up.
My plumber ran Pex water lines thru the old copper and connected it up accordingly when I had a leak under the slab. It was a lot cheaper and easier than jack hammering the slab and laying new lines. He also added cut off values to zone the hot water so if another leak were to show up I could cut it off.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

Speaking of plumbing I had a Sillcock break this pass winter and didn't know it. My sone used the power washer to clean my driveway for me Sunday. That evening I heasd to the bathroom only to discover it was floode along with part of the hall and part of the adjoining bedroom. I extracted Sunday night and Monday morning and rented a carpet fan to dry it out, more has since wicked to the top so I'm using my own fan. In replacing the Sillcock a piece of copper pipe broke then there was a matter of finding the right parts getting them installed ect I managed to get the water back on with no leaks about 8:00 PM last night. I'll leave the wall open until this coming weekend top dry out completely before repairing the drywall. Naturally it was cold and rainy yesterday and still is today so that slows the drying.

All this was after spending the whole weekend rebuilding more fencing since it was warm and sunny. I got places aching I forgot I had! It was so much easier back when I was 40!
Old 02-14-2017, 01:15 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I got yah guys beat. The 1" line running between my house and barn has to be dug up. Line didn't freeze, its too deep, but it leaked, apparently at a joint by the house. Most likely one of the clamps gave out sealing the plastic pipe to the copper, or the cooper line got a hole in it. Either way I have to dig down over 4' next to the house, under the propane line to repair it.

Not happy about that, considering it will be heavy mud there for weeks to come before I will be able to start digging. In the meantime we shuttle water out to the horses.
Old 02-14-2017, 05:18 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well Donny I wish I could help you. I know how it is I built my house almost 30 years ago and I built it with the intent to die here. I have a 1/4 mile water line and it keep surprising me,I just get one fixed and it leeks some place else. Now I have read that that #40 pipe is only supposed to last 20 years,Know body told me that 30 years ago.
Old 02-15-2017, 03:45 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hay Joe what material is your water line,? if it is the black polly/plastic tubing I went thru the same thing about a year before I moved permanently away from my folks when my step dad and I built the place we were about 2,000 ft. from the nearest water main, and even down 3 ft the gofers would dig down and chew it till it leaked, and then the city finally put in a main , then my step dad put in copper to the house.
Just thought you guys are not the first.

Cheers Bob T
Old 02-15-2017, 05:30 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Hey joe I hope you are not speaking of schedule 40 pvc water pipe line because I have close to 1700 feet of it. the only leaks I have encountered is from using the wrong connectors, over the years I think all have been replaced. I dug up a section in OCT. and it looked as good as new so my hopes are high.

I have a plumber scheduled in the morning and I have pulled up a lot of floor tiles to uncover the suspected leak area. I have considered, I think, all my options and the cheapest I think will be the pex line inserts. I'll let the plumber make suggestions. meanwhile I am resting and trying to make it to a swap meet this weekend in Garden ridge TEX. I am hopeing all this waterline hoopla is over by then.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:54 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Sorry to hear of all of your plumbing problems gentlemen. I had a similar problem with my house in England a few years ago, an underground leak. In the end I hired a plumber with a "mole" and by-passed the leaky section substituting blue alkathene pipe.

As for aeromodelling related matters, when I first moved to France, out of twenty members in my club there was only one other Mode 2 pilot and he lived in the South of France so only rarely turned up.Since putting on that flying display in Sazeray last year we attracted two new members, two brothers,Pascal and Jean-Luc. Bizarrely, Jean-Luc is Mode 1 and Pascal is Mode 2! However, Pascal had never successfully flown a fixed wing aircraft, but he could fly a drone, so I took him up on my Stick with wirelessly-linked transmitters. He did alright and has now bought his own trainer. I've also been teaching one of our Belgian novices who's Mode 1, but like Pascal, he has done a bit of flying in the past. He has to concentrate very hard so after about ten minutes his flying starts to get a bit ragged but he's making progress and gaining in confidence. I may also have another Mode 2 novice to teach, if the lad decides to join. As a result of these developments, the club has given me a brand new ARTF trainer, something called a Lanyu Primary 40. I will supply a receiver and an Irvine 40 from among my engine collection and the club will reimburse me for expenses involved in buying servos etc.

Now where am I going to store it?
Old 02-16-2017, 05:48 AM
FlyerInOKC

So you are singlehandedly converting France to Mode 2 and training the new French pilots? That will make them regret the Norman invasion! ;-)
Old 02-16-2017, 06:20 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Well us Mode 2 types are still in a minority here but if anyone wants to learn how to fly in that mode, I am here to help.

Couple of pictures below for your amusement.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tele 66 (Small).jpg
Views:	206
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	2201476   Click image for larger version

Name:	Spot the Difference (Small).jpg
Views:	184
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	2201477  
Old 02-16-2017, 06:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

That first guy looks like a real trouble maker!
Old 02-16-2017, 01:36 PM
rt3232

They both look a little scruffy

Cheers Bob t
T
Old 02-16-2017, 05:02 PM
the pope

the 1st one looks like leo sayer
Old 02-17-2017, 09:38 AM
donnyman

As I type this the concrete people are clearing concrete from the leaking pipe, unfortunately the break is in the middle of a beam which will have to be chipped away before repairs can be made and the second pipe(cold line ) has a dent and will probably need patching also, It's never simple always something adds to the greif. I'l have some pics after they finish.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:37 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

You're not having much luck so far this year are you Donnyman. .
Old 02-18-2017, 10:13 AM
rt3232

Hay Donny don't remember what size farm you have, or just a big lot to have a barn. But when I was a younger person my folks my brother and I lived on a hobby farm about 50 acres , and when I mover out I knew I would never have that much extra work to do and earn a living. So all you can do is make the best of it and try to look at the bright side

Cheers Bob T

Been there and did that and don't want to do it ever again.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:26 AM
donnyman

Can't complain too much The originals repairs would have cost much more than I actually paid and I did not have to lift a finger. the leak was caused by the copper line touching the steel rebar eating a hole through it.
this is what I am left with. for the most part I am pleased and it did not hurt my budget. as soon as things dry out I will reassemble momma's kitchen.

Saturday we took a leisurely trip to the swapmeet and my motorhome gave me some anxious moments when the auto brake system spit transmission fluid on the the exhaust pipes and smoked and smelled just awful inspection proved that power steering fluid should have been used not transmission fluid so I have to flush the system. the guys that repaired my unit used the wrong stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0579.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	3.81 MB
ID:	2201810   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0581.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	4.05 MB
ID:	2201812   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0584.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	3.74 MB
ID:	2201813   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0592.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	3.93 MB
ID:	2201814   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0593.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	4.03 MB
ID:	2201815   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0599.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	2201816  
Old 02-19-2017, 10:12 AM
acdii

Well, ground dried off enough so that I could pinpoint where I will need to dig. Looks like its a very good chance the plastic line blew off the copper fitting, or the copper blew apart. It just pours out by the house, zero pressure at the barn. Will have to wait at least a month or more before I can start digging since the ground is saturated.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:29 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't like jack hammers any way but one inside the house is just awful. At our house in Missouri we had a copper line from the propane tank and when some one put it in they back filled with a horse shoe touching the copper and it leaked and I found it.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:32 AM
FlyerInOKC

Leaks under the slab are a major pain! It looks like they did a great job Donny!
Old 02-20-2017, 08:27 AM
Ken Erickson

As to the question about the 148 servos:

The 148 came with the Narrow Band radios. It is the 48 with a J-connector rather than the G-connector.

Ken Erickson
AMA 19352 (an age hint)
Old 02-20-2017, 09:08 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Can't complain too much The originals repairs would have cost much more than I actually paid and I did not have to lift a finger. the leak was caused by the copper line touching the steel rebar eating a hole through it. this is what I am left with. for the most part I am pleased and it did not hurt my budget. as soon as things dry out I will reassemble momma's kitchen.
Glad to see you got the right repairmen to quickly fix the leak and do a competent job. Like the way they used PVC pipe to provide a dielectric between copper pipe and rebar.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:10 AM
donnyman

I finally have things close to normal, my concern now is the water thats under the floor tiles. now it's motorhome fix time. no rest for the wicked.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:25 AM
acdii

I can't even begin to get started repairing the main to the barn until the ground dries out. The tractor will sink in if I try.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:28 AM
FlyerInOKC

no rest for the wicked.
Have you figured out what you did yet? ;-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.