Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 09:55 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I finally have things close to normal, my concern now is the water thats under the floor tiles. now it's motorhome fix time. no rest for the wicked.
Know the feeling. Seems a never ending cycle.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:28 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess I should be happy things are going better for me than you guys. (knock on wood) I have made some progress on the Super Sportster , Pupping wings together. Also been working on my Cub getting close to running the engine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00574.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	2202370   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00573.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	2202371  
Old 02-22-2017, 08:57 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Good looking wing Joe and the Cub ain't bad either!

Mike
Old 02-23-2017, 09:33 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

My shepherdess's father has come over to help her with the lambing. He is an aeromodeller but he lacks the confidence to go to a club by himself. Apparently he has all of the gear but has never actually flown a radio-controlled model aircraft. I spoke to his wife yesterday and we agreed to take him flying on Saturday as the weather forecast doesn't look too bad then.

I have a number of suitable models ready to go, all rigged up to fly on a wire-less buddy box! (Get me! Tech Savvy or what!) However, I have found that novices of pensionable age are often better off with a three channel vintage model, at least for the first few flights.

The only serviceable vintage model which I have is a Junior 60 but the engine which I had in it, wouldn't pull the skin off the proverbial rice pudding so I swapped it for the old Irvine 20 which had not run for about twenty years. I made up a paxolin plate (remember them?) and fitted it to the model. The carburettor however, the original plastic Irvine carburettor, was unserviceable. The thread had gone in the carburettor body where the throttle stop screw fits and the barrel kept popping out of the body. Trying to "engineer a solution" with cyano didn't work so I ordered a new carburettor from Just Engines. However, I made a bit of a dog's breakfast when measuring the spigot. I thought it was 10mm, it is in fact 11mm. A 10mm carburettor from Just Engines arrived this morning, testimony to their usual efficient service and to the postal services of both Great Britain and France. You could say that it was a loose fit in the Irvine! Thoughts of sending it back and asking for the next size up disappeared when I read on their website that the next biggest carburettor had a 13mm spigot. Nil desperandum! Having cleaned out the inlet, I applied a thin bead of silicone to the carburettor spigot and tightened up the grub screws.

Now I had to look for a silencer. I found a car racer's chrome plated "dustbin" silencer which fitted; the type with the two trumpets which were bound to amplify the sound! I degreased it and cleaned it and blocked one of the trumpets with automotive filler then shoved the remains of a pan scourer into the silencer!

Having screwed it all together, and after the usual faffing about in the cold getting an unfamiliar engine to start, it burst into life and a few tweaks later was running pretty well, not too noisy either. The slow running jet needs adjusting and to do that I need to find a really tiny screwdriver but I'm sure I've got one.

Mind you I don't know how long this "engineered solution" will hold up for!

Any alternative suggestions? .
Old 02-23-2017, 09:45 AM
FlyerInOKC

Give it a try it doesn't have to last too long just enough for him to get a little stick time.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:28 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe Both are looking good to me, Is the cub a home built, or a rebuild just curious.

Cheers Bob T
Old 02-23-2017, 02:29 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

My J3 is a 1946. I took my wife on our first date in it 44 years ago this is the second time I have recovered it.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:28 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe That is outstanding, be good two both ladies

Cheers Bob t
Old 02-24-2017, 06:02 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
My J3 is a 1946. I took my wife on our first date in it 44 years ago this is the second time I have recovered it.
And you have hung on to both good job!
Old 02-24-2017, 08:21 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

I took up the suggestion of heat shrink tubing on the small spigot but then couldn't find any of the correct size! I know I've got some because I shrunk some over my Baron undercarriage to hide my awful looking soldering. However, I was once trained to improvise, adapt and overcome, so I cut off a short length of the heat-shrink I had and cut it in half. I now had a long rectangle of heat shrink. I stuck it to the spigot with cyano,wrapped it round a few times and cyanoed the end to the wrapping. With a little silicone on the spigot I fitted it into the engine and tightened the grub screws using Loctite and it works!

[TABLE="class: StdText"]
[TR="class: RowStylePosting"]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="class: ForumPostingBox"]Shame the silencer dumps all of the oily exhaust residue over the front dowel. . I have a strap-on silencer designed for a 40, perhaps I'll fit that.

I can't find my tiny little jeweler's screwdriver to adjust the slow-running jet. All of my little electrician's screwdrivers are too big. I know I have it somewhere because I used it to stir some Royal Blue Humbrol just recently so it should be quite conspicuous!

Maybe I should re-cover the old girl one day but my club colleague says I should leave it in it's patina of age! I need to sort out the undercarriage but we should have her flying tomorrow.

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Name:	Junior 60 with Irvine 20 (1) (Small).JPG
Views:	105
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	2202619   Click image for larger version

Name:	Junior 60 with Irvine 20 (2) (Small).JPG
Views:	101
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	2202620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Junior 60 with Irvine 20 (Small).JPG
Views:	103
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	2202621  
Old 02-24-2017, 08:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

That should get him in the air! The patina may help elevate some of the anxiety of damaging the airplane.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:51 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Good luck with your flight....it should bring back some very pleasant memories.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:21 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Thank you karolh, I'll report back. Must go and solder up the undercarriage and load the van.

BTW I found some videos on YouTube of your club flying off what looked like a cricket pitch.The guys seemed to be very friendly, a pretty wide age range too. It was a beautiful location. I would have liked to have played cricket on that ground when I was a younger man.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:09 AM
karolh

Would appreciate you sending me a link to that Youtube video so that I might be able to identify the location.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:32 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Karolh, there are several videos on YouTube from the Flying High RC Club and they all seem to be at the same location, but this is one shows off the club to best advantage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH5y-78KNS8&t=153s Lovely location, friendly crowd, highly competent pilots and amusing little kids!

At 6 minutes 35 seconds we are introduced to Mr Maverick. Every club has a Mr Maverick in its ranks, competent, helpful but modest.

Surely that's a cricket site screen on the far side of the ground and a pavillion over to the right of the flight-line?

As for yesterday it was a non-event. My friend's father proved to be a more competent pilot than his wife and daughter seemed to think! He is not up to A Certificate standard yet and he had not flown for two years but he'd obviously flown before and was able to fly both my "Short Wheel Base Telemaster 66" and my Foam-E WOT 4 without a problem. I didn't even use a buddy box.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:04 AM
karolh

Yes that's a video of our home field which is the Kingston and St Andrew Polo Club's Field which we shared with them for more than 30 years and that's their scoreboard in the distance. Unfortunately we have recently lost the use of the facilities due to the development of an upscale residential community right next door due to both safety and noise concern.

Glad that the renewal flights went well and were uneventful. Seems as if most folks once they attain a certain level of competence they might get a bit rusty but never completely lose their touch.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:11 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a shame karolh , over here at my club we had some old cow wanting to shut us down due to noise and went to all means available but what she chose not to understand or thought we didnt was we were here 1st . So she didnt have a leg to stand on and guess whos house is up for sale ? Its like buying land next to a airport then complaing about airplanes . If you dont like the neighbors dont buy the land and build on it .
Old 02-26-2017, 08:37 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

We are particularly fortunate in that the nearest house from our flying field must be at least two hundred metres away and I don't think anybody lives there!. Besides, most of the models flown by the club are electric powered. Furthermore, we rent our site from the local commune and they give us an annual grant! Only in France eh!

Picture of your humble servant about to take off. There is a house in the dip near the cross roads and some other houses visible on the horizon.

I hope you soon get another flying field karolh.

Name:	Orange Overalls 1 (Small).JPG
Views:	95
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	2203088  
Old 02-26-2017, 09:43 PM
the pope

still on day release there tele ?
Old 02-26-2017, 11:31 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

No I've told you before, National Coal Board overalls!

The picture shows me about to fly my only electric powered foamy. I wouldn't like you guys to get the wrong idea! .
Old 02-27-2017, 12:43 AM
the pope

its an electric ! How much worse can it get ?
Old 02-27-2017, 01:06 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Well it's my only one!

Name:	WOT 4.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	351.3 KB
ID:	2203103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nearly there. (2).JPG
Views:	83
Size:	346.8 KB
ID:	2203104   Click image for larger version

Name:	WOT 4 XL 1.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	3.34 MB
ID:	2203106   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE 2 Lampshade (Small).JPG
Views:	87
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	2203107   Click image for larger version

Name:	My First Acrowot.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	2203109   Click image for larger version

Name:	La Rosse d'Hiver (1).JPG
Views:	88
Size:	352.2 KB
ID:	2203110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hooligan and Radio Queen 1.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	2203111  
Old 02-27-2017, 05:37 AM
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)

I just seen this thread. it's a great idea. I built my first model when I was 5. It was all solid wood. I threw it, but it never flew. But that was my start in 1951. Most of the planes I flew back then were sheet balsa gliders. Then I started building the Comet rubber kits. In 1957 I got my first control line model. I won it as a prize at a hobby shop. It was a Jim Walker with an OK cub .049. That when the owner of the hobby shop signed me up to join the AMA. My number was 10383. That been my number my whole life, except when I became a Leader Member, they dropped the "0" to 1383. But the 10383 is still registered to me. When I was young I spent most of my time in a hobby shop earning money to buy modeling material with. Back then I flew combat with Fox 35's and 1/2A speed with my own design. Free Flight, Scale, everything was Control Line. When I got into high school is when I started with RC. It was single channel with escapement. I built the transmitter and receivers from kits. I built my first 3 channel with reed which was made by OS when I was in the Navy. When I got out is when I went into proportional. I started with EK Logitrol , then Heathkit. Kraft was to expensive. Here's a couple of planes I've built back in the early 80's

Name:	F-16_2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	607.4 KB
ID:	2203132   Click image for larger version

Name:	F-100_2.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	539.3 KB
ID:	2203133  

Last edited by LJE4357; 02-27-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:14 AM
karolh

Tele, the outfit you were wearing you had me wondering for a bit back there. Glad you straightened us out about it .

That's a very nice bunch of models you have there, sorry but I can't seem to find a gasser in the mix. Guess that gives away my little secret that I have just about given up on glow and gone almost completely gas except for one Magnum .46 powered sport model and a couple small electric. I can't deny that most times I see a glow engine fired cup and smell the burnt castor it brings back very happy memories, still I don't miss the messy after flying clean up.

You certainly have a beautiful lush flying site and paved runway. Here in Jamaica due to mainly lack of property ownership as we are usually just tenants all our runways are of the non permanent type....grass.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:46 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Karolh I've never really been into very large models though I have a 1/4 scale DB Sport and Scale SE5 kit. Truth to tell, I,m really into fourstrokes and I'm waiting for Laser to produce their first petrol/gas fourstroke. They've spent a long time developing a 180 single but the stock carburetors have not proved to be satisfactory. They will be releasing a few pre-production models soon for customer evaluation. I hope to get one and plan to fit it into the WOT 4 XL, third picture, top row above.

Having said all that I have been given a Mick Reeves 1/3 scale Sopwith Camel kit, once the property of a club member who died last year, on condition that I build it. I turn sixty-nine next month, whether I live long enough to build it remains to be seen, but that will definitely have a gas engine. At my old club in England a colleague had 1/3 Stampe powered by a geared Zenoah 62. I had the honour of flying it once but I let the owner land it.

At that club we had a very wide landing square on an old WW2 training aerodrome. It took me some time to improve my landings so that I could put them down on our 10 metre wide tarmac!

Name:	Bill Seward's one-third scale Stampe. 62cc Zenoah with Mick Reeves gear reduction..JPG
Views:	76
Size:	353.7 KB
ID:	2203167  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.