Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 10:18 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Did they give it back?
RAF Shawbury is close to where I used to live and is an RAF station which trains helicopter pilots. The model went missing on a Friday afternoon. I sent the RAF an email with a picture attached, explaining the situation and asking whether one of their training flights could over-fly the area where the model was last seen and look for the model. They replied that they'd do it first thing on Monday morning. At 09.20 on the Monday I received an email from them. They'd found the model and attached a map with co-ordinates.

Mind you it looked like this.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Damaged Super Sixty (1).JPG
Views:	126
Size:	356.6 KB
ID:	2207303  
Old 03-27-2017, 10:21 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok I made some more progress on the Super Sportster.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00596.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	2.46 MB
ID:	2207302   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00597.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	2207304  
Old 03-27-2017, 10:27 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I have seen worse Tele, of course some of them were my own!

Good looking tail feathers Joe!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:45 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I got one. Years ago I was the club instructor and this one day I was working with a student at the far end of the field. Ed, an older follow, began helping another guy at the other end of the field. After we finished the flight, I was giving my guy some pointers. Ed & student were still flying, so we made ready for another flight. As I took off the airplane I saw Ed's student's plane in distance and in trouble. Being he was at the far end, I thought they would go pickup the pieces. We landed from our lesson, Ed & student were still looking up and flying the plane. We walked down to ask Ed how did he saved a sure crash. As we neared them, I could see that they were flying a hawk making high slow circles in the Oklahoma sky.

Ed is still with us,he must be about 88 now and I still enjoy telling this story to new members at least once a year. This is a true story, my student is still a club member. Ed and I have a good laugh with each telling.

Good Times are best shared

Fair Winds & Happy Flyin', Ed
Rich
Old 03-27-2017, 10:46 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Lovely story tejasnumu.

Some years ago, when I lived in England, I had assembled an ARTF Decathlon, which I loved flying, it was powered by a Thunder Tiger 54. I got to the flying field and was immediately set upon by lots of novices wanting me to "take them up." A series of trainer circuits followed and each time I landed another novice would be there with his model asking me to take him up. It was a beautiful day, you get a few in England, and the field was very busy. One of the beginners thought that the sky was too crowded but I said that I'd been flying for "n" years and had never seen a mid-air. I said, "They look close together but they're not really." After each of the beginners had had two or three flights I said that I wanted to fly my Decathlon but that I would take them up again afterwards.

I took off and put the Decathlon through its paces. I found myself at low altitude flying towards me at the other side of the flying field. Above me was a recently qualified pilot flying his Flair Piper Cub trainer. These were quite big models, 6ft (180cms) wingspan, with slot-together plywood fuselages and banded-on wings. He was on much the same heading as me. I thought, "They look close together but they're not really." I put the Decathlon into a vertical climb and... his propeller cut off my tail-plane as neatly as you like! His engine, an Irvine 40, didn't even stop running and he continued to fly for some minutes afterwards. Admittedly, his banded-on main-plane was no longer quite square and yes you've guessed it...there were only two models in the air at that time!

Since then I've had two more mid-airs. .

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 03-27-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:48 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Most educating experiences from our R/C'ing hobby tend to be on the expensive side.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:53 PM
LJE4357
Banned
My Feedback: (74)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I talked to the owner of that flying this morning. One hell of a nice guy. He built it all himself. Another lie falls into place from a crooked modeler here in Orlando. So where did the $1.75 million go? Guess it went to the 2 guys that are still alive that did it in the first place. FBI told me that land sale is in the hands of the IRS. That makes two IRS investigations. Today I sent in the paper work to the IRS as a Whistleblower, when it's over I get 10%. At least I got one of the two with one felony. FBI told me I have to take it to the Security's and Exchange first, before they do anything. I'll be glad when this is all over with. I been told it would make, one hell of a movie. Next week my lawyer and I, and the friend that help me write up the outlines have to go to the FBI office in Tampa. I have a ton of evidence, they haven't seen yet. And the names of all the people that got there phones hacked. The 2 months of the recordings I made of the hacking went into a safe deposit box, along with copy's of all the evidence. May attorney says leave it there untill we go to court. Funny, when I sent an email to the guys that did the hacking, and told him about the recordings, it stopped for 5 days. It started up again in the middle of phone calls with disconnections. He actually disconnection a phone call while I was on the phone with the FBI, while the agent was talking. He called me back, and asked me if I hung up. I said no, this is what happens all day long. Two days I sent an email and told him he may get his wish. An agent from the VA has been working on this issue to try and stop the phone hacking. When he called the guy and told him about my wife, he said " I wish she would die"
That was when the hacking stopped. later my wife went into the hospital, and the phone hasn't been hacked since. Maybe he was just listing.

Last edited by LJE4357; 03-27-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:28 PM
tejasnumu

Wow, that gives me a good feeling. I have a very soft spot in my soul for military. I also grew up with modeling supported by those that fly and those that patrol the high seas. Things have seem to hit a fork in the road in the US and some regulations imposed seem to push down a wonderful hobby but people are edge all over. I had to laugh, however; here if a "drone" Ultimate 10-300 with a YS 1.40 happened onto many of our US facilities...well there some places that wouldn't admit they exist much less your model landing there. Were our Nations only back in a place where you might yell to a parameter patrol passing by the fence "hi fellas, I lost my model. Could you keep an eye out for it?" Sure, got a phone number? Yes that was a more enjoyable time for me. Good for your boys (and ladies now.) Good stuff to hear Sir.
Old 03-27-2017, 04:56 PM
trainermaster80
My Feedback: (5)

Donnyman, i am 88 still building & flying. I would not trade my akes & pains for yours. Exercise eat your wheaties & build & fly model airplanes . Ha! Ha! That'll do it. Frankie trainermaster80
Old 03-27-2017, 11:19 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Just a note to make things absolutely clear. My "free-flight" Super Sixty flew away behind a wood which was about 800 yards away from the flight line and it landed out of sight on a farmer's field. We sent out two search parties but could not find it that Friday afternoon. The RAF helicopter found it the following Monday morning. It did not land on the aerodrome; that was a good ten miles away!

However, I went to the base to give the crew a bottle of champagne.The guard took the bottle from me and in order to turn my car round, I had to drive through the entry gate, then turn across the roundabout in the wrong direction to leave immediately through the exit gate. By driving in this way the guard could see me all the time. Security or what?
Old 03-28-2017, 05:21 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Next time, take the turban off.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:49 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by trainermaster80
Donnyman, i am 88 still building & flying. I would not trade my akes & pains for yours. Exercise eat your wheaties & build & fly model airplanes . Ha! Ha! That'll do it. Frankie trainermaster80
No need for a trade I would be glad to give you all my aches and pains...........FREE! I am still doing my modeling thing but at slower rate.

I have posted this before so if you are familiar with it hold off for the new guys.............................................I launched a glider with a power pylon. the engine was running great, once launched the glider would float out about ten to twenty feet and settle to the ground....... engine running full bore........What's wrong?
Old 03-28-2017, 08:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

My wife left at O dark 30 Saturday with her sister to NYC to check on the parents and grandparents graves and see a few sites. She is due back at 11:00 tonight. I don't know who had more fun her or me with a whole weekend to work on airplanes!
Old 03-28-2017, 08:55 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by donnyman
No need for a trade I would be glad to give you all my aches and pains...........FREE! I am still doing my modeling thing but at slower rate.

I have posted this before so if you are familiar with it hold off for the new guys.............................................I launched a glider with a power pylon. the engine was running great, once launched the glider would float out about ten to twenty feet and settle to the ground....... engine running full bore........What's wrong?
The engine wasn't powerful enough to fly the model!
Old 03-28-2017, 08:56 AM
acdii

Sanctuary!!! Thats my workshop. I got a fridge, an Ipad to watch Netflix and AMazon on, a coffee maker, and a sink. What more could a guy want?

A stock of balsa would be a good idea though. I don't know, what would make a good stock pile?
Old 03-28-2017, 09:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by acdii
Sanctuary!!! Thats my workshop. I got a fridge, an Ipad to watch Netflix and AMazon on, a coffee maker, and a sink. What more could a guy want?

A stock of balsa would be a good idea though. I don't know, what would make a good stock pile?
I know what you need and I got offer one and had to turn it down do to a lack of space. My LHS retired one of his Balsa wood displays that came from Midwest I think. It would have been perfect for a shop. It had slots for each size of wood and stick and it was even marked..
Old 03-28-2017, 09:23 AM
acdii

Yeah, something like that is nice, but I don't have that kind of room...yet. I'm thinking that a starter supply for me, would be 3" wide sheets, maybe 4" wide of several thicknesses. If I need sticks I can slice them with my handy dandy stick maker. I needed some 1/4" strips for something and made them out of a sheet and thought, now that would be easier than stocking bundles of sticks. So it all comes down to which thicknesses would be the most used, and stock accordingly.

The B-25 has used 3/32, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/4 so far. I don't remember what the skin on the P-51 or Corsair is, but I think 1/32, its pretty thin, but not one I think I would need to stock.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:57 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
The engine wasn't powerful enough to fly the model!
Sorry but no!
Old 03-28-2017, 11:59 AM
the pope

prop around the wrong way ?
Old 03-28-2017, 12:16 PM
Greybeard1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might put a prop on it.
Old 03-28-2017, 12:55 PM
the pope

If it was running great with no prop sign me up for one of those . Had a edge trimmer that broke the flexible shaft running to the head break once . By the time I managed to get to the off button the rod was poking out through the crankcase . I mean that was a split second , just all of a sudden revved up and then she was all over .
Old 03-28-2017, 01:07 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

The prop was on backwards
Old 03-28-2017, 01:46 PM
the pope

Hey thats my guess !
Old 03-28-2017, 02:47 PM
donnyman

OK the prop guess's were close............................................. .....................the answer, Pusher prop! the guy just bought them, he was new to the hobby. I had to look twice before I noticed. Whodathunkit?

Someone mentioned a engine start without the battery connected....well that is what is supposed to happen, the material the plug coil is made of causes our fuel to ignite. the battery makes it more reactive!...Be careful!

One of our fellow modellers did a death spiral into the ground just behind a bush when he got to his plane he found the propshaft hit a train rail dead center...................... a new plane and engine was all he needed to fly again. that happened twice in one year.

Last edited by donnyman; 03-28-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 03:01 PM
FlyerInOKC

Ouch!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.