Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 07:55 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
The pile is real, the picture is at an Ikea plant where they save the sawdust up and burn it for heat in the winter, etc. A lot companies such as Anderson Windows and Sauder Furniture do that now days, recycle a waste product as free fuel to generate electricity and/or heat.
REAL? sawdust? it must have taken a forest to generate all that. and a mess when the wind is up. Using it as fuel is and intelligent move but someone will find a reason they can't continue the practice. isn't it also used to make particle board?
I save sawdust and use it as filler when mixed with clear dope or white glue or packed in a hole and hit with ca. The local officials here wanted to use cow chips from feed lots mixed with coal to burn in a power plant but it was nixed for some reason.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:21 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I think this dust maybe too fine for particle board. I know Sauder claims they use over 90% of every tree harvested over the industrial norm of little over 50%.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:00 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

On 29th April 1917 a man with the same name as me was shot down and killed by Baron Manfred von Richtofen while flying an artillery observation flight in a BE2e. I hope that people will not think that I'm excessively sentimental but I plan to fly my 1/6 scale BE2e later today as some kind of tribute. Weather permitting.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:17 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

100 years ago, it was very risky business to fly. A new development, incendiary machine gun rounds were developed. Doped muslin cloth is very flammable. A hit at altitude was a sure path to a flaming death, a boost to kill ratio. No longer did one have to hit the gas tank, engine or the pilot. There were no pilot parachutes. Cockpits were not armored with any type of ballistic material. It is no wonder that the phrase, "Iron Men with Wooden Wings" was coined.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:30 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

My namesake was particularly unfortunate because he had been with the squadron for over four months and pilots with that length of experience usually survived their tours. Mind you he was up against the best fighter pilot of the war! His aircraft was too slow to outrun the German fighters, too stable to out-fly them and too badly armed to defend itself. This was exacerbated by having the observer in the front cockpit so that to return fire he had to fire above the pilot's head. The aeroplane fell between the lines and was fired on by the artillery of both sides. Neither his body nor that of his observer was ever recovered.

It's a glorious morning here which promises a good flying day. My sister and brother in law are over for a few days holiday. They are paying me a visit later today. Fortunately they are both very house-proud and my domestic arrangements do not come up to their high standards so they are staying in a hotel about twenty miles away. That's not clean enough for them either!
Old 04-29-2017, 04:24 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Thats cool, my namesake had a red haired kid named Opie :/
Old 04-29-2017, 07:41 AM
tejasnumu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another chance or 2 at Berkeley F11 Tigercat

[email protected]
To
[email protected]
Apr 28 at 8:07 PM
I'm "Shotgunning" my approach to obtain detail on the Grumman F11F1 which never saw combat. I have wanted to get close up and functional details of the front slats; flaps and top only ailerons. Built primarily now in the 1960 era and information for the rc modeler is hard to come by. I built a terrible representation when eleven years. I always wanted to build a "stock" representation for free flight with an .049 single cylinder spinning an aluminium fan for "power." Not a dynamic model but one that captured my young mind. I can no longer drive long distances so visual closeups are probably not my answer. I just want to hang it from the ceiling and admire it done the way it supposed to be.

Now Lithium Polymer power and production brsthless commercially made and balanced EDF (electric duct fan) planes are common and powerful. Only a notch down from fuel turbine powered jets. In addition to the plane as designed by the Berkeley Model Kit Company (now defunct), I want to throw my hat in the ring building. a respectful model with small "Park Flyer" small space radio control model attributes as # 2. I am well versed in rc control of prop two and four stroke models ranging from 25" wing span to a (for me) exhaustive but satisfying 98" P-51 D model.

This "Tigercat" is a project not obsession but with limited engineering training and the creek "don't rise" I will incorporate functional detail. I need someone very familiar with the "cupping of the swept wing for slow flight. We leave few footprints in the sand when we go. This plane won't deepen my prints in the sand but my great grand-children might set down their cell phones and even be sparked by things balsa that fly represent history and are just plain pretty, no,,,beautiful.

I need any sketches, verbal descriptions; rough dimensions, anything I can learn from and emulate. Modelers, crewman, crewman that model, engineers, walk around photos. Anything I can get or learn. I want to see how the slats are deployed. I want to see how the flaps were deployed and looked like when helping the wing lift better at slow speed. I want to see how those darn ailerons on top only were lifted and worked.

My <[email protected]> is good and so is (817) 578-4297. 213 Bahama Ct. Granbury, Tx. 76048. My name is Kep.
I really need your experience, memories, photos. stories, and anything to help me shred a little balsa. Thanks
Old 04-29-2017, 12:05 PM
donnyman

tejasnumu

I have the same desire but not the time but I have gathered some info do you have a set of plans? if not go to the outerzone plans site. Then do a google search for pictures of the f11f there is plenty to look at.
stay in touch I would like to see your progress.

I just saw for the first time the wing tips fold down,.............now that's a change from the norm.

Last edited by donnyman; 04-29-2017 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:08 PM
donnyman

look at this
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	f11f wing tips .jpg
Views:	37
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	2212330  
Old 04-29-2017, 02:53 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hay Donny That's a sexy looking fuse on that bird, great curves.

Cheers Bob T
Old 04-29-2017, 10:42 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Unfortunately it was too windy for a memorial flight yesterday. Next Wednesday seems possible.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:10 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BarracudaHockey
Thats cool, my namesake had a red haired kid named Opie :/
And his brother, Clint, had a pet bear.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:14 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by rt3232
Hay Donny That's a sexy looking fuse on that bird, great curves.

Cheers Bob T
I concur! It would be a easy plane to build and would make a terrific turbine bird. I only wish the time was available to me so I could build one and several others.
Old 04-30-2017, 11:56 AM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back when I was a young wiper snapper and working for working for gen/dyn, Convair in SD, Ca they had just flown the original delta wing F102/model-8 and it would not go supersonic so we built a some model's for the wind tunnel with several of the hour glass shapes, found it would go supersonic with out after burner, and boy did it pick up speed in A/B.

Just an old geezers memory

cheers Bob T
Old 04-30-2017, 01:02 PM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by rt3232
Back when I was a young wiper snapper and working for working for gen/dyn, Convair in SD, Ca they had just flown the original delta wing F102/model-8 and it would not go supersonic so we built a some model's for the wind tunnel with several of the hour glass shapes, found it would go supersonic with out after burner, and boy did it pick up speed in A/B. Just an old geezers memory cheers Bob T
Back in the early 1980's I was a young whipper snapper too, ran the data system on wind tunnel tests for the DC-9 boat tail tests on a 4' wind tunnel model at the Rockwell blow down wind tunnel facility in El Segundo. We were using the newer quartz transducers instead of scanivalves, so us Douglas types brought our own portable data acquisition system, Tektronix 4051 on GPIB buss. The transducers were quite faster and we could scan all ports at a shot during scan, so they'd pitch up the model continuously instead of stopping say every 5 or 10 degrees and hold as with scanivalves, done with all scans in two days. (Scanivalves had stepper motors that would switch to a different set of pressure ports to take readings, so say after 6 - 8 steps all ports on the model was scanned.)

In the latter 1980's, those chisel type boat tails (the cone on the back of the fuselage) on the DC-9 variants MD-80's, 85's, 90's was a result of that wind tunnel study, produced less drag in flight than the traditional cone.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:47 PM
the pope

Originally Posted by GallopingGhostler
Back in the early 1980's I was a young whipper snapper too, ran the data system on wind tunnel tests for the DC-9 boat tail tests on a 4' wind tunnel model at the Rockwell blow down wind tunnel facility in El Segundo. We were using the newer quartz transducers instead of scanivalves, so us Douglas types brought our own portable data acquisition system, Tektronix 4051 on GPIB buss. The transducers were quite faster and we could scan all ports at a shot during scan, so they'd pitch up the model continuously instead of stopping say every 5 or 10 degrees and hold as with scanivalves, done with all scans in two days. (Scanivalves had stepper motors that would switch to a different set of pressure ports to take readings, so say after 6 - 8 steps all ports on the model was scanned.)

In the latter 1980's, those chisel type boat tails (the cone on the back of the fuselage) on the DC-9 variants MD-80's, 85's, 90's was a result of that wind tunnel study, produced less drag in flight than the traditional cone.
say wat ?
Old 04-30-2017, 05:14 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by the pope
say wat ?
They made the plane use less fuel.
Old 04-30-2017, 05:46 PM
the pope

now that I can understand
Old 05-01-2017, 05:44 AM
FlyerInOKC

It's amazing how much difference a small change can make. Look at all the new airliners using winglets on the wing tips, that little up turn tip makes a huge difference in economy.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:15 AM
GallopingGhostler

Rockwell blow down wind tunnel facility was interesting. It had 6 huge spherical storage tanks outside. Huge compressors would pump the tanks to 6,000 psi of air. This would provide up to around 5 or 6 minutes of air in up to the transonic region. It was called blow down because the tunnel didn't have a recirculating loop, like you see with other wind tunnels at say, NASA's Langley. The wind tunnel model was gorgeous, machined and assembled out of aluminum. Small stainless steel tubes were set machined flush at the surface. Channels cut to route tubing on its surfaces were filled with a JB Weld like Epoxy material, which was finish milled to blend with the surfaces. They had a set of about 8 boat tails, would do several runs on one, then break down and bolt on another. With our short runs, they'd do a couple blows, then while compressors were recharging the tanks, swap out boat tails.

So power hungry were the compressors, that during the summer, we ran at night. During winter, we ran at day. If we went over the allotted hours, the utility company or government would fine Rockwell $20,000, I can't recall if this was per minute over or what. (That was 35 years ago.)

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 05-01-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:23 AM
donnyman

The study of induced aerodynamic drag is a fascinating subject. I believe we have only begun to understand it and many more changes is in the future and will not necesarily be discovered by the government. I believe Burt rutan came up with the wing tip idea on his own, he is a fellow modeler also.

Today aerodynamics has been the topic of conversation for the second time this morning and I am enjoying it. was the t-38 and f-5 the last to use the coke bottle fuse? I think the russians never used it.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

Burt is a long time R/C flier, is airplanes just kept getting bigger and bigger.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:40 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

He's a great guy as well. I got to see him speak at University of North Fla and got to speak with him for a few minutes.

He is most concerned about getting youth excited for STEM careers.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:19 AM
al

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Here is a picture of acdii clearing the sawdust out of the shop after finishing the sanding on the Rascal 168.
What I really want to know who get to sweep that up and put it in a pile?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:15 AM
FlyerInOKC

It would take one heck of a broom that's for sure!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.