Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 07:16 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Its not hat hard
Old 05-23-2017, 07:43 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Its not hat hard
I just knew you would have something to say!(peanut gallery)

RCKEN
Thanks!
Old 05-23-2017, 07:55 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Well have you ever know acdii to pass up on a opportunity to smart off? He's almost as bad as me!
Old 05-23-2017, 08:01 AM
acdii

Born and bred to be a Royal SA, that's me!
Click image for larger version

Name:	hssmartass.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	2216682
Old 05-23-2017, 08:04 AM
FlyerInOKC

Talking

Attachment 2216682
Judging from the photo after all these years you still have looks!
Old 05-23-2017, 08:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

Oh, acdii I forgot to mention I found your phone too!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	smartassphone.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	2216683  
Old 05-23-2017, 08:11 AM
acdii

I'm seriously considering going Gibbs on my phone..........

For those who don't get it, Watch NCIS.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:13 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I just knew you would have something to say!(peanut gallery)

RCKEN
Thanks!
You are more than welcome. I'm glad that I could help.

Ken
Old 05-23-2017, 08:47 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

She calls me a senile old man because I never understand when told to ..... "pick up that thing and put it over there".......... 54 years and I still don't know what that thing is. and have not found THERE.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:41 AM
FlyerInOKC

Exclamation

I'm seriously considering going Gibbs on my phone..........

For those who don't get it, Watch NCIS.
I think I'll stick with my landline much to AT&T's disappointment. If I'm not home I don't need to take your call, leave a message on my answering machine.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:29 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I think I'll stick with my landline much to AT&T's disappointment. If I'm not home I don't need to take your call, leave a message on my answering machine.
My wife and thought about dropping our landline phone for several years but we just never could come to the point of pulling the trigger and doing it. Both of us have our own cell phones and had the same phone number for close to 15-16 years now. But when your sole source of income comes from being self employed sometimes you have start looking at wherever you can to save money. So several years ago I finally proposed that we make a test. For 2 months we recorded every phone call the we received on the landline. No outgoing calls were made because we do all of that on our cell phones. But after the 2 months there was a grand total of one, yes that's right 1, legitimate phone call that came in on the landline. The rest of the calls were all sales calls and wrong numbers, and there were something like 120 or so calls in that 2 month period. So at that point it was pretty easy to make the decision to pull the cord and get rid of the landline. It's been about 4 years or so now and we don't miss it at all. In fact, best thing we every did. No more calls at dinnertime from sales people. No more midnight wrong numbers. I don't regret it one bit. We both have our cell phones and we have just as good phone service as we did before. It took a little bit of time to call everybody who we care about and told them of t he change, and a note in our yearly christmas letter got anybody we missed caught up. It's really easy to get by without the wired landline.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox.

Ken
Old 05-23-2017, 11:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

In my case we don't have cell phones (with the exception of a Tracfone for when we travel a couple times a year) and have no desire to own one. We also don't need a GPS we know how to read a map and they are free fro AAA. If you look at what cell phones cost then look at what my landline cost it isn't easy to figure out the cheaper one and my fax machine won't work with a cell phone..
Old 05-23-2017, 11:59 AM
acdii

Mine was just the opposite, I paid nearly $120 a month for a LL, and now pay $165 a month for 2 phones, 10 GB data, unlimited text and calling, and payment for the phones(they are no longer free). In 6 months I can knock $35 off it. Since I need a smartphone for work, I have no choice but to have either an iphone or a droid(I hate droids), so have an iphone 6s and my wife has an iphone 5s. So for $10 a month more I have two smartphones with data plan.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:08 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
In my case we don't have cell phones (with the exception of a Tracfone for when we travel a couple times a year) and have no desire to own one. We also don't need a GPS we know how to read a map and they are free fro AAA. If you look at what cell phones cost then look at what my landline cost it isn't easy to figure out the cheaper one and my fax machine won't work with a cell phone..
Fair enough. I can see where you are coming. But I'm like acdii, it works out cheaper to have 2 phones (one for me and one for my wife). We need them for work and the phones are actually paid for out of the business books. But when you consider the phones and data plans that come with them they do work out cheaper than the landline was to start with.

But when you talk about cell phone to be totally honest with you I wish I could dig a very deep hole and start burying all of my electronics in them, and the cell phone would be the first one to go in that hole. I work in the IT field and have done so for the last 21 years now, but have been directly involved with computers and IT for the last 40 nows. I am getting to the point that I absolutely hate technology!!!! There are a bunch of reasons for feeling the way I do, but there is one reason that rises to the top of my list of why I have come to the point in my life. I hate to see where society has come to because of technology. Honestly, think about it. The say that technology brings people closer. Really???!!!???!!??! Walk into a restaurant and there are 4 people sitting at a table and all 4 of them are sitting there looking at their phone!! Are they being close?? When my son was a senior in high school we took him and his best friend out for dinner at a steak house and my son knows that phones at the dinner table are a no no. But his friend pulled out his phone and my wife reached over and took it and said you can have this back after dinner. He looked at her like she had farted in church. He was clueless as to what he did wrong!!! People brag that they have tons of people on their friends list!! Really??? How many of them will come out in the middle of the night on a rainy night to help you when your car breaks down??? Guess they really weren't your friend then huh??? I had one girl tell me that because of Facebook she found her best friend from high school that she hadn't talked to for 30 years. Well I guess she wasn't too much of a friend if you hadn't talked to her in 30 years then!!! And I heard one the other day that really gets me. No McDonald's had announced that in bigger cities they are pairing with Uber to deliver your food to you. So now you don't even have to leave your house to have a McDonald's craving. Heck, that was half of the fun, doing a McDonald's run... especially when you can eat the fries piping hot just as soon as you get them. But now people can get even lazier as they don't even have to leave their house to get food!!! Where does it end??

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Ken

Last edited by RCKen; 05-23-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:13 PM
FlyerInOKC

Can I get an AMEN for brother RCKen? AMEN!
Old 05-23-2017, 04:27 PM
acdii

AMEN * 1000!!!

I wholeheartedly agree with everything he said. I too work in IT and feel the same way. Technology is making people fat and lazy, starting at a young age with video games and wireless tablets they sit on their asses all day instead of going outside and running around, it also takes away from their creativity and imagination when they can play a game already imagined for them instead of imagining it and creating it on their own, like we did with D&D.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:01 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Little story for you. About 20kms from where I live, in the town of Dun Le Palestel, is a library which stocks books in English. On a bitterly cold day in February 2016 I drove my VW van there. Parked outside the library was an extremely old and well-travelled BMW motor cycle on British plates, an R80RT to be exact. Inside the library was a tall fellow with long grey hair and a long grey beard in motor cycle kit. I explained that I owned a 955 Triumph so we talked bikes for a while. It turned out that he was a Canadian. He explained that he had owned the Beemer for decades and took it back to Scotland every year to put the bike through it's annual MoT (Ministry of Transport test,) but that he was thinking of replacing it with a 1000cc BMW R100RT which is the same bike but with a bigger engine. I suggested that he consult Le Bon Coin, (The Good Corner,) a French website where you can sell anything. He asked me what Le Bon Coin was and after I'd explained, he said that he didn't have a computer and needed to ride to Germany pretty soon where he worked "on the black."

By this time I'd formed the impression that here was a penniless old biker forced by a cruel economic system to use a motorcycle as his daily transport and to work illegally in Germany. I went on Le Bon Coin myself and printed off a couple of adverts for likely looking R100RTs. I put them in an envelope and asked the lady in the library to post the information to him.

"He won't get this for quite a while," she said, "he's away working in Germany."

"Yes," I replied, "he told me that he was going to work in Germany. What sort of work does he do?"

"He's an IT consultant," she replied.

As Ken said, "Where does it end?"

I don't know but we've already reached the situation where you only need to leave the house to attend your own funeral. Everything else you can do on-line.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:27 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like when the scammers ring . Depending what mood Im in I string them along for a fair while until I get board . I then ask them what kind of undies there wearing . That usually ends the conversation pretty quick . Doesnt matter if there male or female I'll swing both ways for them . Sometimes the language that comes out of their mouth is just terrible !!! . Funny how the same scammers will ring multiple times in the one week although their phone bill must be up there it must be worth it . The old your computers running slow to has anyone had a car accident in the last couple of years , even had one where they said someones looking up naughty shi$t on your computer and the feds are gonna come knocken . Tax office calling to the bank calling saying someones taking $ out of your bank account although they cant tell u what your account number is . Are we really that dumb ?

Last edited by the pope; 05-23-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:41 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

deleted

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 05-24-2017 at 03:22 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:03 AM
FlyerInOKC

Talking

Originally Posted by the pope
I like when the scammers ring . Depending what mood Im in I string them along for a fair while until I get board . I then ask them what kind of undies there wearing . That usually ends the conversation pretty quick . Doesnt matter if there male or female I'll swing both ways for them . Sometimes the language that comes out of their mouth is just terrible !!! . Funny how the same scammers will ring multiple times in the one week although their phone bill must be up there it must be worth it . The old your computers running slow to has anyone had a car accident in the last couple of years , even had one where they said someones looking up naughty shi$t on your computer and the feds are gonna come knocken . Tax office calling to the bank calling saying someones taking $ out of your bank account although they cant tell u what your account number is . Are we really that dumb ?
Pope, you would love what this guy does!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_420523&feature=iv&src_vid=mkdoogjic4I&v=-7OgWcwgB50

This one is even better!

Last edited by FlyerInOKC; 05-24-2017 at 05:16 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:18 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Question

Attachment 2216682
Hey Acdii, are those bi-focals
Old 05-24-2017, 10:47 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by karolh
Hey Acdii, are those bi-focals
Tri-focals! I did say I was old didn't I? Oh Wait, of course I am, I'm posting in over 50. HolYShEET Over 50? How the, what the, when the heck did that happen?!?!

My voice mail is made up. Bubbas Petshop, with a good ol boy southn accent. Bubbas petshop, pause, welp, we be busy rights about now, so i'll jist ell you our specials, we have a special tiday, buy one baby raccoon, and wheel trow in a baby possum, dats rite, a baby possum. Y'all kindly leave a message ifn you want.

Needless to say, I don't get many voice mails, and those I do get.. are very confused.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:05 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Tri-focals! I did say I was old didn't I? Oh Wait, of course I am, I'm posting in over 50. HolYShEET Over 50? How the, what the, when the heck did that happen?!?!
I blame my optometrist. It's absolutely all his fault. I never needed any glasses when I was working on my planes until he went and prescribed reading glasses for me. Then after that I had to have them whenever I was working on anything on the modeling board. Heck, it even extended to when I was cooking, programming a radio, even reading a magazine on the toilet. It's all his fault, yes it is. My eyes were perfectly fine up close until he went and did that!!!! Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!!!!

Ken
Old 05-24-2017, 12:36 PM
FlyerInOKC

Stop your b*tch*ng! I have been wearing glasses since I was in the first grade!
Old 05-24-2017, 06:03 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That guy in the vid is my hero .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.