Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 07:17 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I hear Mintor Engines make great R/C boat anchors.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:14 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep , the dumb part about that is that they started off with good engines but got too big too soon and had to outsource some of their components . Not a problem as such unless u fail to Q.C. the parts and u end up with out of round cylinders etc. Then being stubborn Italians they pretty much refused to do anything about it . Then it was too little too late and the rest is history . Those who got early all in house engines or ones that were repaired early on were ok but as for the rest of us !!! I still havent run mine , 2x 22cc with one on a 1/2 finished 60 size trainer . I was thinking of just running it and seeing if I can blow it up in spectacular fashion . There pretty to look at and some detail and effort has gone into the machining but shinny isnt everything I guess . Cheers
Old 06-21-2017, 09:09 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by the pope
I am usually a early adopter of most things . When 2.4 came along I jumped straight away . I didnt want to forget to pull up the antena ( been there ) so I sold of all my 36meg stuff straight away . I was able to get good $ for the receivers and I had a friend who could get stuff cheap so I basically didnt lose out . This approach has bitten me in the rear end as well . Remember the Mintor engines ? Ive got 2 of those
Another Mintor victim, welcome to the infamous club. My M22 cc is a very good runner, mainly thanks to it's replacement piston compliments of expert machinist and engine builder Richard Daley (Cyberwolf on RCU) who machined and installed same, and who currently offers a repair service for defective Mintor engines.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:36 PM
the pope

Hi there karolh , remember back a little we conversed about u getting one of them from me but it had the wrong conrod setup I.I.R.C. Does cyberwolf do work on my version . I think u recommended just running my ones until it goes kaput . If nothing else the carb and ignition should be ok . I would like a properly functioning engine but its no biggie . Ive forgotton about the $ now but I still have a bitter taste in my mouth . I'll be the 1st to recommend a good product or service and also if its bad i'll spread that word too . Cheers the pope
Old 06-22-2017, 04:38 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Of the 4 brands of TX/RX I use, I found that Futaba/FrSky are pretty stable. Other than the Rascal, which I am confident is just a placement issue, I have never had a glitch on any of the planes that have Futaba or FrSky RX in them. OTOH I have had issues with lost signal using DX6i and DX8 Spectrum. And it isn't like the plane was way out there, it was no further than 100' when it lost signal, thankfully the plane was trimmed well so it continued on a straight path until the RX regained signal. It happened on 2 different RX, and my friend lost 2 planes with a DX6i. Both were complete loss of control. My JR OTOH has been rock solid with Spectrum and Orange RX.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:57 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by karolh
Another Mintor victim, welcome to the infamous club. My M22 cc is a very good runner, mainly thanks to it's replacement piston compliments of expert machinist and engine builder Richard Daley (Cyberwolf on RCU) who machined and installed same, and who currently offers a repair service for defective Mintor engines.
Richard must be covered with Mintor work, too bad Mintor couldn't/wouldn't fix what they sold they had a beautiful engine to look at and could have done a good business.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:08 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Hi there The pope, as I recall Cyberwolf works on all versions of Mintors and will make good or better your engine if at all possible. When he receives an engine he will give an assessment of what is required prior to commencing any work. Just in case you might want to give your Mintors a second chance at a having a productive life he is located in Idaho can be reached at 208 684 9412 or via PM.
Old 06-22-2017, 04:02 PM
the pope

I might contact him and see . Thanks
Old 06-23-2017, 03:58 PM
Steelie
My Feedback: (18)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by acdii
OK is too far from IL to cause that, it is the suckiest state in the nation next to CA.
Whoa!!!!....I will second that!!
Old 06-25-2017, 03:17 PM
cepheusrealm

seaBeeLOw

Last edited by cepheusrealm; 06-25-2017 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Rewrite
Old 06-25-2017, 03:23 PM
cepheusrealm

I started this lifelong choice for fun when I was around 6 in 1962. As I remember it my dad and I sat at the table building my first rubber motor biplane...maybe a Comet kit. I thought it was just the best thing I had ever seen. I wound it up and let 'er go off the floor....of my bedroom....better luck next time sprout! Then one day my older cousin next door showed up at my Great Uncles horse pasture with a Cox Corsair....tiny little thing but wow that little engine sounded great, smelled even better and I'm not sure if we ever got it in the air....but more excitement than anyone should try in a day! Started building every rubber model I could afford. Mostly Comet models....Curtis Robin, TBM Avenger, Dauntless, and probably a few that just don't come to mind at this moment.
Next, I tried building from scratch a glider with maybe a 34" span....slab truss fuselage, built-up wing... whole thing tissue covered. I towed it up on a 200' line behind my bike. It towed great and was a beautiful glider. Next was my own design (kinda) but again scratch built free flight high wing design....wing was four sections, two outer angled up maybe 10 degrees more than the two inboard. I liked the nose and windscreen shape pictured in a little B&W add along with maybe another 30 designs there in the first pages of a model magazine I regularly read. Saved for the little Cox .020 to get up on the RayoVac dry cell and little can of Cox glow fuel and the first time I launched it climbed in nice circles up above the trees and to maybe 300' before it ran dry. Then, just as hoped for circled gliding nicely down and with the wind to the Northeast probably 4 or 500 yards distant only to land in the median on the new interstate 80. Well, not a problem ...just sneak out there carefully and retrieve it. Hope the State Police are not around to help! Flew it many more times until landing in top of a large Oak and hanging there for a week before a storm brought it down.

But, still LOV'n it!
Old 06-25-2017, 05:13 PM
rt3232

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't want to play can you top this, but My experience started the same way only a bit earlier 1940 comet kits, rice paper and then in 46 I was given a vival gesser and on and on so it goes Olsen's, Os;s etc etc
Your story was a great reminder of the past and I chuckled all the way thru it

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-26-2017, 04:10 AM
Steelie
My Feedback: (18)

Originally Posted by cepheusrealm
I started this lifelong choice for fun when I was around 6 in 1962. As I remember it my dad and I sat at the table building my first rubber motor biplane...maybe a Comet kit. I thought it was just the best thing I had ever seen. I wound it up and let 'er go off the floor....of my bedroom....better luck next time sprout! Then one day my older cousin next door showed up at my Great Uncles horse pasture with a Cox Corsair....tiny little thing but wow that little engine sounded great, smelled even better and I'm not sure if we ever got it in the air....but more excitement than anyone should try in a day! Started building every rubber model I could afford. Mostly Comet models....Curtis Robin, TBM Avenger, Dauntless, and probably a few that just don't come to mind at this moment.
Next, I tried building from scratch a glider with maybe a 34" span....slab truss fuselage, built-up wing... whole thing tissue covered. I towed it up on a 200' line behind my bike. It towed great and was a beautiful glider. Next was my own design (kinda) but again scratch built free flight high wing design....wing was four sections, two outer angled up maybe 10 degrees more than the two inboard. I liked the nose and windscreen shape pictured in a little B&W add along with maybe another 30 designs there in the first pages of a model magazine I regularly read. Saved for the little Cox .020 to get up on the RayoVac dry cell and little can of Cox glow fuel and the first time I launched it climbed in nice circles up above the trees and to maybe 300' before it ran dry. Then, just as hoped for circled gliding nicely down and with the wind to the Northeast probably 4 or 500 yards distant only to land in the median on the new interstate 80. Well, not a problem ...just sneak out there carefully and retrieve it. Hope the State Police are not around to help! Flew it many more times until landing in top of a large Oak and hanging there for a week before a storm brought it down.

But, still LOV'n it!
We all pretty much have the same stories it seems.

In 1963 I made the transition from folding paper to make airplanes to using an Xacto to shape balsa and make my first scratch built glider. I was 6. The glider, 1/16" slab wings and a stick fuse...spanned 8 or so inches.
Looked a lot like those dime store slide-together ink printed gliders. Only I made it and it was glued together! First flight I took it to the second floor outside stairway at our apartment at Selfridge Air Force Base. Gave it a toss and off it went. I didn't know what a thermal was but I got a chance to see how one took my little creation all the way into the next neighborhood. That one experience had me pumped....led to a lifetime of experiences in model aviation.
I also built a few Guillows and Comet stick and tissue models. They flew amazingly well. The Guillows Fokker DR-1 was how I won a transistor radio in a school contest. I clear doped the red tissue and put an old tired Cox .020 on it, then watched it go out of sight at Beal A.F.B. Ca. The Veco Dakota was next that flew like a charm with an Atwood .049,... then more through the years.
I fly RC now but taking a step back to revisit my childhood. Found an original Dakota kit and am just finishing a hand-cut Riley Wooten Voodoo. The Estes rockets are just as much fun today as they always were.

Thanks to my Dad for leading me to something he also loved.

Last edited by Steelie; 06-26-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:01 AM
FlyerInOKC

Xacto knife?! Your father must have been rich!
Old 06-26-2017, 12:49 PM
rt3232

Xacto knife ???must have been in the $$$

I had to take my dad's double edge blades brake them in half and the brake a point piece of tape on the back and I was good to go

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-26-2017, 03:50 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

I remember in 4th grade, bringing a cigar box with Comet rubber powered kit printed sheets to school, using my spare time to cut out the wing ribs and bulkheads with razor blades. Teacher never chastised me or said anything. (But it was a different world then. We had Junior Police Officer corps in our elementary school. Supervised by a teacher, 5th and 6th graders who were the best students were selected to be traffic guards in crosswalks. We didn't have parents holding up a stop sign, kids did that. Because of inherent dangers, one had to be at least 12 YO to buy cherry bombs and M-80s. But we live in a different world these days, where children are discouraged from responsibility, IMO.)
Old 06-26-2017, 04:02 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

How did we ever survive our childhoods?
Old 06-26-2017, 04:45 PM
acdii

No S**T! I was a crossing guard in grade school, we controlled traffic, not adults. It was a different world back then. Children today have no clue what responsibility is. Too many pansy adults out there.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:51 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gee, I wonder who raised all of them ???? lol ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-26-2017, 05:09 PM
acdii

Dayum Hippies I tell ya, Dayum Hippies!
Old 06-27-2017, 03:25 PM
flyboy2610

---------------------------
Never mind.

Last edited by flyboy2610; 06-27-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:44 PM
rt3232

Hay flyboy The first time I was in Lincoln NE I was about 8 and it was not to big then, was back there when working for Gen/Dyn was putting in the old atlas missile bases was that a surprise,
Just saying

Cheers Bob T
Old 06-28-2017, 08:26 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

It seems things surely do go full circle, so many here have said they are looking for the kits, eng. etc. they had as a kid, me too! my shop is loaded with stuff from my past. them cox plastic planes don't fly any better now than they did back when, but they sure were fun. back somewhere in this thread I mentioned having a controline scientific (I think) hollow log fuse mustang with a flat sheet shaped wing powered by a spitzy 045 that I ran so lean I fried it, and still own it, and purchased another at a swapmeet. Now I thought that little mustang was the coolest thing in the world though I had only flown it maybe two or three times because the fire wall kept falling off (No fuel prooffing) and the wood was black from being fuel soaked.
Yeah I'd like to have another just for kicks.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:39 AM
FlyerInOKC

I enjoyed C/L back in the day but I don't think I want to take it up again. That said I can't resist the occasional discontinued R/C kit. My latest kit I needed like a hole in the head is this one. It cam with 3 brushed motors, motor mounts, prop adapters, and semi-scale props. I was surprised it had all the hardware and the wheels. I'll need to provide ESC, battery, and covering.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P4240001.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	2221973   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4240002.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	970.8 KB
ID:	2221974  
Old 06-28-2017, 04:39 PM
flyboy2610

Originally Posted by rt3232
Hay flyboy The first time I was in Lincoln NE I was about 8 and it was not to big then, was back there when working for Gen/Dyn was putting in the old atlas missile bases was that a surprise,
Just saying

Cheers Bob T
The population was 280,364 in 2016. I moved here in 1982. In 1980 the population was 171,932. So in 34 years it's grown by over 108,000. It's a nice place, but it's starting to have some 'big city' problems with crime, drugs, gangs, etc. According to a report I heard just this week, LPD reports that 33 (I think that was the number) known gangs are active here, some chapters of national gangs. I still like it here, but it's not the same place it used to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.