Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 07-24-2017, 11:07 PM
Moneypitts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, Right thread. Had to go back to the beginning and make sure I was in the right room. Thought, I'm over 50, lets hop to the end of this very old thread and see whats happnin! Not sure but seemed this thing had taken a left turn somewhere. Well, I went back a few pages and found out you guys are still wrecking planes, so I suppose I'm in the right room. I am over 50, but new to the hobby. I scratch built an Ugly Stick back in the 70s, but my grades in school sucked and my parents wouldn't buy me the Radio/electronics to make it work. It ended up in the trash can after several years. Now I am making up for lost time and I have myself and my 11 year old son involved. Yes, I have an 11 year old. The child in me refused to get married until I was at least 30...that turned into almost 40 and here we are. I have had quite a few electrics (may some of them rest in pieces) ...best of the bunch is a Carbon Z Prometheus 2P and the Carbon Z Cub. My son's favorite is the 1.2 m Trojan T-28 and a couple weeks ago we met a 2.3 meter Carbon Z Trojan that is a real beute, so I think it will be in the stable when I get home from work. (I work in Egypt) I guess I have rather fallen into the Spektrum/E-Flite crowed.

My first, and so far, only ARF build was the Great Planes Waco YMF 5 D. First Day at the field, I pancaked it on the 3rd flight. It sure flys nice. Saito FG 40 four stroke gas. Got it all fixed up, and I must say, I am pretty good at the repair business. While I was doing that, I also installed a Power Box smoke system and from things learned on forums ripped out all my switches and put in higher quality ones. Its also got dual batteries for the reciever and servos along with dual switches. I guess I am trying do to any and everything I can with this first build to learn. Good thing I am good at repairing cause next time out with it, I flew just a little too close to one of the little barrier fences at our field on landing and now I get to repair it again. But, the extra weight of the smoke system seems to have had very little effect on its flight characteristics. Still flew like a dream. I am hoping third time out is a charm and I can enjoy it without wrecking it. Now that I am an expert at building and repairing, I have an RC Guys 33% Pitts in the Box at home to start. It will be full of all the goodies as well as either a Saito 61Ts (twin) Gas or Valach 60cc Gas...both for strokes.

I feel like a johnson I keep wrecking my Waco, but I see from those at my field and here on the forums its just part of doing business. Doesn't scare me away, I am stubborn if nothing else. Anywho though I would pop into the Over 50 crowd and see what was going on. I know a lot of the older flyers are into the glow. I am probably dead set on gas and 4 stroke at that..new new new. Hopefully I can learn from you guys. The forums have been awesome so far. I just am a little new to be able to help others, but you never know.

See ya round...

Keith
Old 07-25-2017, 06:10 AM
jimm
My Feedback: (1)

The thing is, if you complain how the hobby is changing "and not for the better" you are called a grumpy old man. There is a post on one of the other sites with a poster complaining about grumpy old men and cant wait for them to basically shrivel up and die. Well the complaining has merit, look at what is happening. The hobby is dying.

I admit I do not buy magazines much anymore as they just don't have the content that interest me much anymore. I want construction articles, build tips etc. not reviews of another quad or review of another flying Styrofoam cooler.
Old 07-25-2017, 07:07 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry guys, I've had to step in here and remove the inappropriate picture that was posted and the replies that were posted. I normally try to not get involved in threads, but in cases like this I had to step in and remove the post because it violated our Community Rules and needed to be removed.

Ken
Old 07-25-2017, 07:34 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

There was a picture? and i missed it? Hmmm

Originally Posted by the pope
Is she available for loan ? Just for spotting purposes ? Or does she have sister . The pope is single again .
Actually, she has a twin sister, but she is a total opposite.

Originally Posted by Moneypitts
Yep, Right thread. Had to go back to the beginning and make sure I was in the right room. Thought, I'm over 50, lets hop to the end of this very old thread and see whats happnin! Not sure but seemed this thing had taken a left turn somewhere. Well, I went back a few pages and found out you guys are still wrecking planes, so I suppose I'm in the right room. I am over 50, but new to the hobby. I scratch built an Ugly Stick back in the 70s, but my grades in school sucked and my parents wouldn't buy me the Radio/electronics to make it work. It ended up in the trash can after several years. Now I am making up for lost time and I have myself and my 11 year old son involved. Yes, I have an 11 year old. The child in me refused to get married until I was at least 30...that turned into almost 40 and here we are. I have had quite a few electrics (may some of them rest in pieces) ...best of the bunch is a Carbon Z Prometheus 2P and the Carbon Z Cub. My son's favorite is the 1.2 m Trojan T-28 and a couple weeks ago we met a 2.3 meter Carbon Z Trojan that is a real beute, so I think it will be in the stable when I get home from work. (I work in Egypt) I guess I have rather fallen into the Spektrum/E-Flite crowed.

My first, and so far, only ARF build was the Great Planes Waco YMF 5 D. First Day at the field, I pancaked it on the 3rd flight. It sure flys nice. Saito FG 40 four stroke gas. Got it all fixed up, and I must say, I am pretty good at the repair business. While I was doing that, I also installed a Power Box smoke system and from things learned on forums ripped out all my switches and put in higher quality ones. Its also got dual batteries for the reciever and servos along with dual switches. I guess I am trying do to any and everything I can with this first build to learn. Good thing I am good at repairing cause next time out with it, I flew just a little too close to one of the little barrier fences at our field on landing and now I get to repair it again. But, the extra weight of the smoke system seems to have had very little effect on its flight characteristics. Still flew like a dream. I am hoping third time out is a charm and I can enjoy it without wrecking it. Now that I am an expert at building and repairing, I have an RC Guys 33% Pitts in the Box at home to start. It will be full of all the goodies as well as either a Saito 61Ts (twin) Gas or Valach 60cc Gas...both for strokes.

I feel like a johnson I keep wrecking my Waco, but I see from those at my field and here on the forums its just part of doing business. Doesn't scare me away, I am stubborn if nothing else. Anywho though I would pop into the Over 50 crowd and see what was going on. I know a lot of the older flyers are into the glow. I am probably dead set on gas and 4 stroke at that..new new new. Hopefully I can learn from you guys. The forums have been awesome so far. I just am a little new to be able to help others, but you never know.

See ya round...

Keith
If it makes you feel better, me too. Got married at 38 and have a 10 and 12 YO. Already have their future planned out too. Selling the house when I hit 65, getting a motor home and hitting the road. That should give them both enough time to figure out what they are to do! They will both be in their 20's by then, and had better be on their own.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:21 AM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Hi Guys

I just finished another honeydo. The stairs to my shop were gettin overly rickety so I called in a contractor (another thousand bucks gone) but I am no longer afraid to use the stairs.
bad thing is they found a mess of termites so I'll be breaking out the spray equiptment. That's right I can't get no respect.

It's getting so that I have to pack up and move, just getting to crowded here, my neighbor sold out for less than two thirds of what he said he wanted and the new tennant already has a bad reputation. I haven't met him but I am a bit worried. meanwhile I continue to downsize in preparation for leaving.
Old 07-25-2017, 02:57 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey, Moneypitts! Welcome to the bunch! I'm a grumpy old man and durn proud of it! I even have a T-shirt that say "Old Guys Rule! Aged to perfection."
I got married in my 30's as well. I'll be 56 in November, have a 20 year old daughter and a 17 year old son.
They don't have my shirt listed, I guess it's out of style. YES!!!!!
https://oldguysrule.com/
Old 07-25-2017, 05:46 PM
Moneypitts

Thanks guys, I got into this again to have something that my son and I could do together since I am not really into flipping over tables and chairs in the front yard or skate boarding anymore (If I break my leg I can't go to work). I was raised on a farm with plenty of room. He is being raised in a gated community in Florida and where we do have a pool, we are missing the wide open spaces. He really thinks this is cool, but even as cool as this is, I think he gets bored with it from time to time. Last time we went to the field he loved it. When more people are there, I have to admit, its a lot more fun. So, I am challenging him to do more stunts and learn how to really fly. Of course that goes for me too. We should use the simulator more, but that kinda gets old and the feel is not the same, really. In our RC Plane Career he has definitely wrecked up far fewer planes than I have. I keep reminding him who pays for them and who has the right to wreck them and who does not. Seems to be working HAHAHAHAHA!

Well, I try not to be grumpy, aging sucks...the mind still wants to do flips in the front yard and ride skate boards, but the body screams...hell no! We were in Maryland recently as that is where I was raised. Maryland is for Crabs...the eatin kind, which I tried to get sick of while I was there. My son gave me a beer cozy that said something to the effect of "stay away, I'm crabby". Darn Kid. I must have been grumpy for a couple seconds. Well, he still cries when I go to work (I work in Egypt) so I know he misses me.

Its nice to have a place to BS about the hobby. Outside of the hobby shop (My wife feels really sorry for those people) and the field, no one in my life is into the hobby. At work, I have managed to hook one of the Captains into the hobby. He went home last hitch and bought the Real Flite simulator, a 13 channel Futaba radio and some kind of twin engine electric plane to train on. He is doing quite well with it. He lives in Belgium. SUCKER! He's already blowing money on more planes...HAHAHAH.

See you guys around the club house.

Keith
Old 07-25-2017, 05:48 PM
Moneypitts

Flyboy...cool site. Checking it out now....

Keith
Old 07-31-2017, 08:59 PM
Warhawk109

I just dropped in because it sounded like my crowd of people. I just hit 57 and have been flying (crashing) since I was 16. I hate the flying coolers,and I refuse to pay $300.00 for one.right now I'm scratch building a Taurus and I have a Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk but I need the patterns for the wing ribs. Anyone that has the patterns for them I would like to get a copy. It has a 64" wing span.

Last edited by Warhawk109; 07-31-2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 07-31-2017, 09:07 PM
the pope

If we're your kind of people , u must be a a-hole like the rest of us . Join the club . Cheers
Old 08-01-2017, 01:21 AM
Warhawk109

I sure am from the word go
Old 08-01-2017, 01:23 AM
Warhawk109

Actually I am an a..half because it would take two of me to make an a whole
Old 08-01-2017, 05:36 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Warhawk109
I just dropped in because it sounded like my crowd of people. I just hit 57 and have been flying (crashing) since I was 16. I hate the flying coolers,and I refuse to pay $300.00 for one.right now I'm scratch building a Taurus and I have a Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk but I need the patterns for the wing ribs. Anyone that has the patterns for them I would like to get a copy. It has a 64" wing span.
Welcome Warhawk, with your sounding handle I'm quite sure you will fit right in here with the rest of us. If my memory serves me right I think the Goldberg Extra 300 and the Chipmunk share the same wing, but at 76 years young I could be wrong.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:44 AM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The Top Flight Kit I built in 1964 had preformed leading edges and the kit plans had no patterns. This was on Outer Zone they have the full sized plan.Click image for larger version

Name:	612.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	2226458
Old 08-01-2017, 07:50 AM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Fisher
The Top Flight Kit I built in 1964 had preformed leading edges and the kit plans had no patterns. This was on Outer Zone they have the full sized plan.Attachment 2226458

I had a Taurus for a brief period - a friend of mine found it in the garage of a house he bought. He wanted to fly it so I updated the engine and the electronics to make it flyable - frankly I was disappointed with the way it flew though I found it to be straight in all the right places, weight about perfect, no unwanted twists or turns in the important parts, all seemed well - it just flew crappy compared to more modern stuff. Of course I liked planes like the original Hots or the Super Hots or even the Great Planes Twist or Twist 60 with lots of power. But still thought it should fly better so we benched it. I set him up with a trainer but he lost interest and never flew it.
I thought the Taurus was scratch built the way the fuse sides were laminated cross-grained balsa and with hard maple motor rails, along with sheeted wing skins and painted. Great looking plane - even looked good in the air.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:48 AM
Warhawk109

I am building a Taurus because my dad had one when I was a boy
Old 08-01-2017, 12:28 PM
gmeyers

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Warhawk109
I am building a Taurus because my dad had one when I was a boy
It was a great plane - won lots of contests in the hands of capable fliers.
Old 08-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Joe Fisher
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Taurus was designed to fly on 10 channel reeds. When you would give it control it would go all of the way , so the controls are small and not as effective as we are used to with our proportional. The elevator trim was full up trim was for right side up and full down for inverted flight. When it was set up rite it would fly exactly the same rite side up and inverted.
Old 08-01-2017, 06:05 PM
Warhawk109

I still have my Dads old min-x 10 channel transmiter and receiver but the reed bank is broken.just a little CA and it would probably be good to go
Old 08-01-2017, 06:07 PM
Warhawk109

Probably have the Bonner servos too
Old 08-02-2017, 01:57 PM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

I remember when the taurus was the rage, it seemed so advanced most were afraid of it. They were flown with 35 thru 60 engines, with the 60 you were considered a hot dog. I had it's older brother the ORION which was my first successful r/c bird. I had it with me when I arrived here in 1967. I was so shook up when Mel Whitley (early top gun winner) put it in the air and thru it's paces all I could do was screem. It flew well the five channel heathkit and a torpedo green head 45 which is still in my stable and in running condition. I was completely smitten by the trike gear and thought I was the bees knees. If I weren't so tied up with other builds I'd build another, I still have the kit plans.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:40 PM
Warhawk109

I have the kit plans and the magazine plans both in paper and digital forms or the Taurus
Old 08-03-2017, 06:22 AM
rmatt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well over 50

Just saw this thread. I am just getting back into RC. I am well over 50. Matter of fact 73 next birthday So if you guys are grumpy at 50.I can tell you that it doesn't get better.
That being said. I think the grumpy comes from the mind wanting to do all sort of things that we did when younger, and a body saying go ahead and try it and I'll show you what hurt really is. So little time and so many to p--s off.
Been flying since I was a kid. Control line and graduating to RC.Started RC in the mid 60's, First radio was a Kraft 4 channel Gold Medal series and graduated to 6 channel and the last , I think was a 7 channel Signature Series.
Then came the 39 year hiatus when buying houses, cars and settling on boating as a hobby became paramount.. Now taking care of the boat became a bigger chore than the body likes( Hence the Grumpy) so back to RC.
Just bought, right or wrong, a Spektrum DX8 radio. Need to start out with some form of trainer just to get my feet wet and see how good the sight and reflexes are and hopefully progress from there.
That's my story so see ya around.
Bob
Old 08-03-2017, 06:52 AM
Warhawk109

Bob I have owned DX8 txs for years and they work great.
Old 08-03-2017, 08:09 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

52, and already have aches and pains that say, I don't THINK so TIm! My left arm has aches at the elbow that have been keeping me from doing a lot the past few weeks. My back say's, foggetaboutit every day. So whats it going to be like 20 years from now!?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.