Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 03-22-2018, 04:35 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Ouch !!! so sorry about that. Hopefully it's an easy fix. Let's hope 'IF' the other shoe drops it won't be as painful.

Last edited by karolh; 03-22-2018 at 04:43 AM.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:36 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
It appears that I unwittingly upset my Shepherdess Friend earlier on in the week and now she not happy with me.

To cheer myself up I thought I'd maiden the Baron this morning and drove the short distance to the flying field but I hadn't secured the model in the van and en route it moved and snapped off half the tail.

I'm just waiting for the third one!
Got any idea what you did or is she upset for the sake of being upset?
Old 03-22-2018, 06:27 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Womenz, can't live with them, and can't live with them.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:36 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 139 Likes on 118 Posts

Well gentlemen, things may have turned the corner, but let's not be too optimistic eh?

I drove home, got the Baron onto the workshop bench fully intending to epoxy the tailplane-half into place using cocktail sticks to secure the joints, but I couldn't find the cocktail sticks! Then I tried metal, those bits of 2mm bicycle spoke you cut off when installing pushrods, but that wasn't very successful either, besides how could I support the tailplane while the glue dried. In the end, I'm ashamed to say, I smeared the whole lot in cyano and pushed everything back into place. It held. I had a light lunch and tried to find the manhole cover which is underneath my front garden. That is another story but all the time my mind was on maidening the Baron.

I grabbed the starboard tailplane. This part had not broken off. With the model on its wheels I bounced the tailplane up and down twenty times. It held. I did the same to the port tailplane which I had repaired with cyano. That held too. I tied the model up in the van and drove to the field. There was nobody else there. To the French a model flying club is a social institution not somewhere where you can fly whenever the weather is suitable!

I assembled the model. I had built it with the rudder and elevators actuated by closed loop cables to simulate the real First World War aeroplanes. I noticed that one elevator was marginally lower than the other but that there was no way of adjusting it out with the system I was using. My head told me to go home again but my heart and my pride said, "We did not win two world wars by giving up!" besides I am a qualified instructor in both England and France and I have qualifications enabling me to fly at public events in the two countries. I'm hardly a novice! The model is a basic trainer with reduced dihedral and ailerons, so what was I worried about? Jonahs in the club said that my model was heavy and that four-strokes never run well inverted. I would soon find out.

After some faffing about I started the engine, an OS40 Surpass, and took it to the runway. What wind there was was across the runway but I pushed the throttle forward and took off. With the cowling rattling against the engine, the model immediately went to the left and just missed the windsock! I put this down to the enormous fin and rudder weather-cocking the model into wind. Having gained altitude I decided to restrict manoeuvres to circuits and horizontal eights as I didn't want to over-stress the tailplane but the model flew beautifully! A big grin spread across my face! After a few more eights and circuits I decided to try to fly it a little faster and was surprised to find out that I had been flying at almost full power for the entire flight. It's an excellent trainer!

I brought her into land, not on the tarmac runway I'll admit, but down on the grass alongside, with the engine, ticking over nicely. I was impressed at how slowly it flew and she settled down like a piece of gossamer. Perhaps there are a few more minor adjustments to make to the engine settings and I'll fit a remote glow connector to make things a lot safer. For the competition I need to make another, non-aileron wing and to add a machine gun and dummy wing warping cables so that's another story but generally speaking it's been a good day and I'm celebarating with a couple of pints of beer from my native county!

French Baron trainer from the 1970s modified to incorporate ailerons and finished in Russian WW1 colours.

French Baron trainer from the 1970s modified to incorporate ailerons and finished in Russian WW1 colours.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:10 AM
FlyerInOKC

A flight worth celebrating!
Old 03-22-2018, 11:21 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

As for the Shepherdess, I was in the doctor's collecting my statins and the doctor asked about her. I replied that she was on holiday in Florida jumping out of perfectly serviceable aeroplanes. The doctor replied that she had once done a parachute jump but did not intend to repeat the experience. I said that my father had made several jumps while training as a commando in WW2 and had told me that jumping from a balloon was more frightening than jumping from an aircraft because you could see the cable stretching all the way down to the ground.

I sent the Shepherdess a text saying that the doctor had been asking after her. I got back a lengthy email accusing me of talking about her behind her back and bringing up two other incidents from the past.

I'll give her a week or ten days to calm down.

Now what was the expression, men are from Mars...
Old 03-23-2018, 05:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

Sounds more like she was pissed at someone else and you were collateral damage!
Old 03-23-2018, 09:46 AM
karolh

Ahhhhhh my friend, it happens even to the very best of us. Spend your 'free' time enjoying your models just like you are doing.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:52 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by karolh
Ahhhhhh my friend, it happens even to the very best of us. Spend your 'free' time enjoying your models just like you are doing.
Quite so karolh but she's also my chimney sweep and under French law your chimneys have to be swept every year and guess when mine are due to be swept!
Old 03-24-2018, 05:22 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

If I need cheering up I can always rely on these guys. I've heard of people converting glow models to electric, I've done it myself, but these two have not only fitted an OS 25 into an electric model, they've fitted one into an electric foamie!

Old 03-24-2018, 06:02 AM
karolh

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
Quite so karolh but she's also my chimney sweep and under French law your chimneys have to be swept every year and guess when mine are due to be swept!
Hahahaha, I know exactly what you mean it's just that I've never heard it explained like that.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:58 AM
flhattrick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello friends, new to this forum and just getting back into the hobby since the early 80s, wow have things changed and not sure where to start, i guess the power plant 1st, never had anything but the old glow os max but now its electric and what i find interesting is the pump gas 4 strokes, hmmmm This build or if i have to ARF will be my first in 35yrs and my teenage son will be getting his feet wet with me so a easy to fly plane / trainer will have to be our first plane to start, any suggestions. thanks
Old 03-24-2018, 07:44 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by flhattrick
hello friends, new to this forum and just getting back into the hobby since the early 80s, wow have things changed and not sure where to start, i guess the power plant 1st, never had anything but the old glow os max but now its electric and what i find interesting is the pump gas 4 strokes, hmmmm This build or if i have to ARF will be my first in 35yrs and my teenage son will be getting his feet wet with me so a easy to fly plane / trainer will have to be our first plane to start, any suggestions. thanks
Er... Telemaster?
Old 03-24-2018, 08:26 AM
acdii

hehe my wife is my plumber. She did a very good job cleaning my pipes this morning! I can now shave without the sink over flowing.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:08 AM
flhattrick

im shocked,,,, not the telesmaster, you suprized me

Last edited by flhattrick; 03-24-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 02:19 PM
charlie111

Default Nobler

Had FLAPS that Worked like an ELEVATOR for WINGS! Tail ELEVATOR went Up WING Elevator went DOWN & Vice Versa!₩
Old 03-25-2018, 06:40 AM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Telemaster............................ did I detect a reluctance to use CA glue to repair the tail on the plane that was broken while traveling? CA is what I use to assemble all my birds and epoxy is used to mount fire walls I have found epoxy to be too heavy to use in many areas especially the tail. your plane reminds me of the Nick Ziroli Morane Saulnier which I keep as a hanger queen.

As to your lady friend, may I suggest a large dose of judiciously applied silence, remember absence makes the heart grow fonder (hopefully) no matter what you say you will be in hot water, so reduce the word count.
I have the same problem on a minute to minute bases sometimes, no matter what, I am wrong, stupid, unloveing, ETC. ETC. the it's all lovey dovey for a time, we can't win.

My wife maybe leaving the hospital today so it's time for me to be on my toes and practice my silence routine. meanwhile I have been able to accomplish some roof repairs the were much less needed than I feared, and now I have peace of mind.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:30 AM
acdii

Hey Donny, I always thought it was Absinthe that made the heart grown fonder

https://www.liquor.com/spirit/absinthe/
Old 03-25-2018, 08:18 AM
charlie111

Default My Self,Rotstting,MEGAWING!!

Could use a SHOP & Someone w/Heli. Radio KNOWLEDGE? Do you know ANYONE?
Old 03-25-2018, 10:15 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Hey Donny, I always thought it was Absinthe that made the heart grown fonder

https://www.liquor.com/spirit/absinthe/
That's what Benny Hill said once.
Old 03-25-2018, 10:21 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I tried to talk my wife into buying a case of Miller Light for $14.95. Instead, she bought a jar of cold cream for $7.95. I told her the beer would make her look better at night than the cold cream.
And that's when the fight started....
Old 03-26-2018, 01:44 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by donnyman
Telemaster............................ did I detect a reluctance to use CA glue to repair the tail on the plane that was broken while traveling? CA is what I use to assemble all my birds and epoxy is used to mount fire walls I have found epoxy to be too heavy to use in many areas especially the tail. your plane reminds me of the Nick Ziroli Morane Saulnier which I keep as a hanger queen.

As to your lady friend, may I suggest a large dose of judiciously applied silence, remember absence makes the heart grow fonder (hopefully) no matter what you say you will be in hot water, so reduce the word count.
I have the same problem on a minute to minute bases sometimes, no matter what, I am wrong, stupid, unloveing, ETC. ETC. the it's all lovey dovey for a time, we can't win.

My wife maybe leaving the hospital today so it's time for me to be on my toes and practice my silence routine. meanwhile I have been able to accomplish some roof repairs the were much less needed than I feared, and now I have peace of mind.
Donny there is a difference between using cyano during the course of construction and simply butt-glueing half a tailplane back on to the rest of the stabiliser! So far it's held but I haven't carried out any aerobatic manouevres yet. I'm scared that the glue joint will fail if I try to roll the model and if I use it in the competition it may fall apart in the air. I need to build another wing for it and I'm going to build second model as a reserve aircraft so it's not much extra work to build another tailplane.

As for the Shepherdess I was going to leave her alone for a further week before getting in touch. Maybe she will have calmed down by then. Oh and I know all about the female psyche, I was once married to an Irish girl!

I'm pleased that your wife is on the mend.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:52 AM
donnyman

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Telemaster
QUOTE=Donny there is a difference between using cyano during the course of construction and simply butt-glueing half a tailplane back on to the rest of the stabiliser! So far it's held but I haven't carried out any aerobatic manouevres yet. I'm scared that the glue joint will fail if I try to roll the model and if I use it in the competition it may fall apart in the air. I need to build another wing for it and I'm going to build second model as a reserve aircraft so it's not much extra work to build another tailplane.

I concur, That is why I do not butt glue any joints, I always cut on and angle as much as I can but most BREAKS are jagged enough not to need any modifications. my past experience has shown ca to be as good or better than epoxy in such a repair, I think you will find the ca repaired area will hold up just fine if properly done which I am sure you did. I have used thin ca in repairs were I wicked it into the crack that remains after carefully pushing the break back together without any problems. the only time I had a problem is when too much was used, as you know, more glue does not make a stronger joint.

I am trusting that our terminology isn't confusing our meaning.

a test someone showed me was to repair a break and then attempt to break it again and in most cases the second break occurred in and area other the the original break unless the original repair was faulty. Good luck!

Last edited by donnyman; 03-26-2018 at 07:01 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:41 AM
acdii

Yep, when I cracked my Mustang in half, I stitched it back together and used thin CA to set it permanently. I also glue backers in to span the crack and use medium CA for those. Made it stronger than original.
Old 03-27-2018, 06:39 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I finally got my old mower finished. It needs a few days for the primer to dry then gets a top coat. I purchased the mower new 27 years ago. With this rebuild, it will outlast me. I have grass 30" high in areas. Good for hay but not good for areas I want clear. But first I'll cut the runway, it looks really bad.

Now, time to get back on my Kaos build. A little more work and It will be very close to the covering phase.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.