Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 04:54 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX9623
Hello all
I am just getting back to flying after twenty years off.
I spent the last two months rebuilding seven glow engines and gathering my tools and setting up my workshop. I’m a mechanic and a motorcycle racer so that was easy.

I joined a local club and redid my AMA membership. Now I am finishing up a nice pattern plane with a Saito 80 four stroke. My plan is to pick up a couple used planes to use as trainers to get the pass so I can solo at the field and get the OK to fly alone.
I am looking forward to that. I have been flying micro helicopters and a simulator for a couple years. But I’m not going to get cocky. Old guys know better.
i used to fly pylon and pattern back in the early nineties. Now I want to look at 3D once I get back. I’m also looking at these scale electric stuff. A lot has changed in twenty years.
Welcome back! I am sure you will be successful. Please stay in touch so we may enjoy your progress with you.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:11 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

[QUOTE=donnyman;12490933]ETpilot

you said you wanted some thick balsa, i have some, what is it you need?

Donny, I don’t have anything specific in mind. I just saw some thick balsa pieces at the hobby shop, last visit, and figured I’d stop by and pick up a piece just to have. Cut and use as needed. I’ll be visiting that hobby shop on future visits to Florida. Thanks for the offer.

Been raining hard here last few days. It stopped late yesterday. Today I thought I’d drive my truck into the pasture. Dumb move. Which I knew it was. Never made it out of the backyard before I got stuck in the mud. Tomorrow I’ll pull myself out with the tractor. Got to wait for the ground to dry.

My Lab was just going crazy barking. Went out with my spotlight and binoculars to check. Turned out to be a momma Deer and 2 babies. Just love living in the country.

Last edited by ETpilot; 01-04-2019 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:15 PM
bobbydee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to bust in,been a while since Ive chimed in. dire need of were to adjust my engines to (degree) on my royal 310q. I have parts of my plan left (been working on this to long) and got 4 deg. on right engine to the right. no info on left engine.any up or down thrust ?
oh pleas obewon your my only help... and It would be a honor to call my self a geeser thread dude. thank you bob the builder
Old 01-06-2019, 10:50 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by bobbydee
sorry to bust in,been a while since Ive chimed in. dire need of were to adjust my engines to (degree) on my royal 310q. I have parts of my plan left (been working on this to long) and got 4 deg. on right engine to the right. no info on left engine.any up or down thrust ?
oh pleas obewon your my only help... and It would be a honor to call my self a geeser thread dude. thank you bob the builder
Here you go! a full set of plans. ............................. thanks to the Outerzone free plans site. ENJOY!

I recently sold my Nosen 310 kit because I wanted the 310Q I didn't think to use these drawings to modify my plans, I really like these. Let us know of your progress.
Attached Files

Last edited by donnyman; 01-06-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 06:11 AM
Josiahpletcher1993

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Young gun

Originally Posted by donnyman
I see places for beginners and such but us old buzzards need a place to roost I hope this thread becomes that place

let me begin by saying our hobby has advanced remarkably but we need to remember our roots.

I go back to the 1940's glue for me was horsehide type until I was introduced to celulose type that came in a bottle with a cork and cost 10 cents and nothing you built flew. If you are newer than epoxy your too young.

I had nothing but lawn darts. with exceptions that other people built and they didn't fly all that good either. The best I eventually got was the chuck gliders for 5 cents and thought I was better than Buck Rogers or Flash Gorden. do you remember Don winslow of the coast guard or sky King?

Controline was at the top of the heap and rc was mystical, a good radio set weighed more than most planes of today Gas tubes were the norm, Helicopters, jets, 5 minute flight times?? forget it.

Take a sit down and put your memories of the 30's 40's 50's and 60's here and let's have some good times.
this is rather offensive to me....I am 25 years old and been in the hobby for awhile...I am not a know it all and we all know this young world needs more talks with the elderly!! This sport also semms to be fading with technology.....drones.....kids simply being to lazy and lacking patience......I have a 6 year old son and he will be in this hobby....
Old 01-07-2019, 06:35 AM
Scorpionjack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Offensive?

Josiah;
Why in the heck is it offensive that a bunch of old farts want to reminis about years past. Your the age of some of my grandchildren. Most of you are talking about foamies, FPVs etc.. We talk about UC, galloping ghosts, McCoys, Olson rice, Veco. Building with Ambroid. I'm sorry this offends you but this site wasn't made to do that only for people our age to converse. Some of us have competed against each other in the 50s, 60s. 70s, 80, I love your in the hobby we need more your age to carry it on. But I'll be damned if I feel guilty wanting to talk to friends of the past.

Last edited by Scorpionjack; 01-07-2019 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:38 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Pretty sad how the younger generations get so upset when they don't get a participation trophy. I also find it extremely funny and entertaining when one word can set them off.

Trump!

LMAO and I don't CARE.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:48 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Pretty sad how the younger generations get so upset when they don't get a participation trophy. I also find it extremely funny and entertaining when one word can set them off. Trump! LMAO and I don't CARE.
Then you will enjoy this video.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:03 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This is very good, this video is right on the mark. I will pass this on to people with kids. YOUNG KIDS, 4 to 8

Thanks
Rich
Old 01-07-2019, 09:04 AM
donnyman

GEORGE
That puts many things into perspective, The question is though what can be done about it!
Old 01-07-2019, 09:13 AM
donnyman

Josiahpletcher

I don't understand? what is it you are offended by, you really didn't say. can you be more specific?
Are you offended because you were born too late? or by the fact we older folk want a place to gather? do you think we don't want you here? just what is it that's bugging you?

Remember, if you are not specific you may not be understood!
Old 01-07-2019, 09:20 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by jwrich
This is very good, this video is right on the mark. I will pass this on to people with kids. YOUNG KIDS, 4 to 8

Thanks
Rich
That will help but I know people 50+ with the problem! ................................ Everybody needs to pay attention with an open mind!
Old 01-07-2019, 09:23 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Scorpionjack
Josiah;
Why in the heck is it offensive that a bunch of old farts want to reminis about years past. Your the age of some of my grandchildren. Most of you are talking about foamies, FPVs etc.. We talk about UC, galloping ghosts, McCoys, Olson rice, Veco. Building with Ambroid. I'm sorry this offends you but this site wasn't made to do that only for people our age to converse. Some of us have competed against each other in the 50s, 60s. 70s, 80, I love your in the hobby we need more your age to carry it on. But I'll be damned if I feel guilty wanting to talk to friends of the past.
Can I get a amen?
Old 01-07-2019, 09:27 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I've gone 48 hours without a drink, mind you the tea consumption has been spectacular!
I am sure your liver appreciates it. do you drink any plain water?
Old 01-07-2019, 10:31 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I am sure your liver appreciates it. do you drink any plain water?
No but I will do.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:47 AM
GallopingGhostler

That puts many things into perspective, The question is though what can be done about it!
Once they are out of the house and on their own, there's not much that can be done. From that point, their teacher is the school of hard knocks.
Old 01-07-2019, 12:41 PM
donnyman

GallopingGhostler
I think I have the info I requested from you! so please disregard my request. .................................... Thank you!
Old 01-07-2019, 09:46 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Sometimes I think that we traditional aeromodellers do not appreciate the hobby from the perspective of our younger colleagues. It's very cold in central France at the moment and though we could fly in this weather, it's not particularly pleasant, so we meet in our workshop in the neighbouring village of Lourdouiex St Pierre. We frequently fly on Wednesday afternoons because French children don't go to school on Wednesdays, they go in on Saturday mornings instead. We have a young ten year-old lad, the son of my neighbours, who likes to fly with us and who comes along to the workshop as well. We've got him assembling an ARTF trainer. I was there last week and had taken a tailplane and elevator with me, some hinges and my hinge slotting tool. There were six of us there plus the father-in-law of one of the members and the young boy. I proceeded to hinge the elevator. Of the assembled company, only three of us knew how to cut hinges for elevators! The others had only ever bought ARTFs or ready-made second-hand models and these included two men in their Sixties. If the hobby is to continue we need to pass on our skills to people like Josiah, we need to communicate with one another, but it begs two questions, "Are the younger generations interested?" "Do you want to learn how to build a traditional model aeroplane Josiah?""

Unfortunately, the short answer is ,"No! Not in any significant numbers." The hobby is dying. No-one is prepared to spend months glueing wooden sticks together anymore and even the sale of ARTFs is starting to fall off. Not convinced? Do you want to buy a new 46 two-stroke glow engine? Try buying one which isn't an OS! Super Tigre, Magnum, Thunder Tiger, Webra, Irvine, K&B, Fox and Enya, they have all ceased production since the Millenium or are producing just a few engines now and again, and I'm not talking Ohlson and Rice or Brown Juniors here! Even those new kids on the block ASP and SC are becoming hard to find. I understand that many modellers are opting for electric motors for smaller models or for petrol engines for larger ones but even sales of these are beginning to taper off. In thirty years time our flying fields will be silent. C'est la vie.

Which is why I like La Coupe Des Barons. Nearly all of the sixty-eight models which turned up in last year's competition were built by their owners. Check out the colour schemes!

Furthermore, I have persuaded six members of my club to sign up for this year's event including a "young lad" of thirty who builds superb models, better than mine! No really! But then he is a panel beater who works for a Volkswagen agent, in other words he has been willing to invest the time to learn the skills to do his job and those skills are transferrable to aeromodelling. The other side of that coin is that Volkwagen have been prepared to invest their time and resources in him. Three new models are being built and older models are being refurbished.

After finishing fifty-third out of sixty-eight entrants in the 2018 Coupe because my motor packed up in the third round,(!) I wrote to the organisers and suggested that they increase the size of eligible four-stroke engines to make them competitve with the OS 35AX two-stroke. I'm a bit of a four-stroke enthusiast you understand! I don't know whether I was the only one to do this but they have increased the maximum permitted size of a four-stroke engine from a 40 to a 52. I have two OS 48 Surpasses, a 52 Surpass, a Magnum 52 and two HP VT 49s which would qualify, however, I won't use the HPs even though you can get a special prize for using a an engine from the Seventies or earlier. They are too heavy and not powerful enough. I ought to sell them really but I'll be campaigning a four-stroke Baron in this year's event. La Coupe will be held on 7th September this year. I'll keep you informed. Link to a video of last year's event for any newcomers to this thread. http://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons

Happy landings gentlemen.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-07-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:21 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Wink

P.S. Josiah.

I don't know if you have a job or not and if you have, naturally I don't know whether it is a well-paid permanent position with prospects or one of those badly paid temporary jobs which are so much a feature of the world of work throughout the Western World today. What I can deduce from your post is that you are 25 years old, that you have a 6 year-old son and you are at the very least playing an active role in the boy's childhood. You don't say whether you are living with the boy's mother as a family or not, but whatever the situation, fair play to you Josiah for taking an interest in the boy's upbringing, so many nineteen year-old fathers would have left their partners in the lurch but not you, so once again, well done!

Having said that I am surprised that you could find our exchanges of experience so "offensive," so unless you are in a well-paid job with prospects I would like you to consider a career change and the career I have in mind for you is a spell in the military as many of us who contribute to this thread have had. The US Army or Marine Corp, for preference, say about five years. Consider the advantages: you'd have a regular pay check every month and an allowance for the lad; you'd have all of your working clothes paid for; you'd be provided with free or subsidised meals and accomodation and I've even heard of recruits being promoted to staff sergeant within five years, and a staff sergeants pay ain't half bad! Chiefly however, if you were to serve all five years in the ranks, you would be offended by non-commissioned officers from the day you started till the day you left. As they say in the British Army, "I have been insulted by experts!" This would cure you of your excessive sensitivity!

In one respect it's a shame that you are already a father otherwise I'd recommend a rather more exotic military career, the French Foreign Legion! Seriously, consider the advantages, you'd have all of the advantages of the US Army plus you'd learn to speak another language: you'd learn to get on with men from the four corners of the world; after five year's you'd be given French Citizenship which would entitle you to all the benefits of the French Social Security System and Health Service which is at least as good as that of the USA and far cheaper; you could live in, work in or travel without a visa to any of the other European Union countries; employers love an ex-Legionaire so you'd have little difficulty in finding a job afterwards and as for those trim little French girls...oh I was forgetting...sorry. You'd also be introduced to delicious French wine and French food but not too much of it. The Legion deliberately underfeeds its men in order to keep them fit and trim and the excercise regime is nobody's business! On the other hand if you have a weight problem, and many people in the West do, then the Legion is the place for you! On your first leave back to the States you'd be so fit and hard that your own mother would struggle to recognise you!

If you were a single man, I'd even go further, if you wanted to join the Legion, I'd pick you up at Charles De Gaulle and drive you down to Aubagne at my own expense. Mind you, I've heard that they only take one man out of every twelve that apply so you'd have to have the funds to get back to the USA before you started.

PPS. I am a qualified and experienced careers adviser. No, really!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-08-2019 at 03:30 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 10:45 AM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Telemaster : Point taken and I think I know a bunch of recruits that I would like to see enlist. The problem is the fee to get back to the states - we don't want them either . LOL Red
Old 01-08-2019, 10:59 AM
donnyman

Our responses to JOSIAH has gone unanswered, .................................................. ............. Me think a troll is amongst us.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:54 AM
GallopingGhostler

Originally Posted by red head
Telemaster : Point taken and I think I know a bunch of recruits that I would like to see enlist. The problem is the fee to get back to the states - we don't want them either . LOL Red
Back in the day some 45+ years ago, I remember of young soldiers telling me that they were given a choice by a judge or sheriff to join the military or we're sending you to jail. This is a change from today where one must be squeaky clean to join the US military. They helped straighten out a lot of young men back then. Some decided they liked the military life and made it a career. Times have changed.

Joining the French Foreign Legion may be a good opportunity especially if someone is in legal or financial trouble. However, AFAIK, according to US law, they can forfeit their US citizenship by joining a foreign military service. However, becoming a French citizen of course may be preferable if in truly dire straits. "I joined to forget."

Last edited by GallopingGhostler; 01-08-2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:24 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

GG. There were lots of American citizens that joined the British or Canadian Armed Services in two world wars. 30,000 in WW1 I'm told. Some, like Eugene Buller, joined the French Foreign Legion. I believe that they were all welcomed back in the end.

During the Battle of Britain, 11 pilots from the USA flew as fighter pilots. I don't think that they lost their nationality either. Mind you statistically, only 5 or 6 of them would have survived the war. Uniquely they did not wear uniforms which identified them as Americans. They wore ordinary RAF uniforms while Canadians, New Zealanders, Poles, Czechs and others wore shoulder tags denoting their nationalities. Australian and French pilots had their own uniforms in a darker shade of blue.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-08-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:52 PM
GallopingGhostler

See state. gov: Advice about Possible Loss of U.S. Nationality and Foreign Military Service

Whether they will or will not revoke is up to the government, but the possibility has always existed; just reading the US law verbiage is frightening enough of itself, if taken verbally.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:25 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I see what you mean GG but France has been an ally of America since 1776 so I expect that an American Legionaire would not lose his citizenship.

We seem to have frightened off Josiah. That's a pity really. If he had asked us for help with some aeromodelling problem, I'm sure we would have been delighted to chip in.

PS. One of the Dam Buster pilots, Joe McCarthy, was an American who had joined the Royal Canadian Air Force. He became a Canadian citizen after the war but died in Virginia so I doubt whether they stripped him of his nationality. http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/s,joemccarthy.html

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 01-09-2019 at 03:14 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.