Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 08:10 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
You maybe right! but I have a solution for that also. And the TV is going to the trash. My usual technique with TV's is to dismantle and look for obvious defects finding none I trash it. I do not have electronic trouble shooting skills though I have repaired several TV's by replacing burned and bulging capacitors. using info on you tube.

This TV is toast

By the way those that have keyboard keys sticking can disassemble and clean them, It's easy, try it. use contact cleaner/lube. (disconnect from the computer first)
Small TV. Not expensive to replace. So what's your time worth or do you do this more for the fun of it?

And BTW, most modern keyboards can be put in the dishwasher. Warm to cool temps and no soap. Top rack. Make sure any batteries are out of them. Dry with a blow dryer. Works better if you pop the keys off first but not necessary.
Old 01-28-2019, 08:11 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by ETpilot

I, too, am having electrical issues; on my Honda Fourtrax ATV. I’ve been babying a failing battery. I’ve managed to get it started with the starter or kick start; until yesterday. Yesterday I started it with the starter but failed to give it a good warm up period. So it stalled on me when I tried to move it. I made a second start attempt and heard a loud pop. Battery died so I tried the kick start but it didn’t work. Then I noticed that the neutral light was off. I had a total electrical failure.

Today I charged the battery, checked the fuses and tested up to the starter relay. All checked good. Going to study the wiring diagram to see where the failure may be. Not fun. I use this ATV practically every day so I have to get it running.

On the RC electrical side I am doing better in my quest for an electric foamy airplane. I got a couple of cheap motors, ESC and propellers. I’m learning new terminology. Throttle calibration, brake, low voltage cut off, timing, etc. I’ve gotten to the calibration point and have a motor running. I need to get a watt meter so I can get a better understanding of what I have. Slowly getting there. This is fun fun.

From the sounds of it I'd be prepared to replace the regulator too.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:44 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Guys switching to another topic, as after having discontinued subscribing to Model Airplane News (MAN) for several years I recently decided to renew my subscription. I eagerly awaited my first issue but when it arrived I was so disappointed, as gone is the quality magazine it used to be, now substituted with very cheap looking and feel paper and graphics. They have certainly done the old MAN mag I so liked absolutely no favours, and to think that I almost signed up for two years. If this is progress, well !!!!
Old 01-28-2019, 10:48 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I did that too and had the same results. Very thin, less than a comic book. I wound up tossing them on a shelf, maybe one day there will be enough to make one magazine.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:08 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Flyer, that is the watt meter I’m going to get, after reviewing a few models.

Appowner, after reviewing the wiring schematic it pointed to a possible faulty diode. Upon disassemble of front end for access, I found the ignition module or CDI was burnt up. It had a foul burnt smell and was leaking a dark brown fluid with the same foul odor. So that is my starting point.Tomorrow I’ll find out what the replacement cost will be. Hopefully that will be my only problem. See pic unit on left.

Karolh, I too am disappointed in what MAN has become. The last 2 issues have been more pamphlet than magazine. My subscription is good until August but I’m not renewing.

Old 01-28-2019, 04:52 PM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

I subscribed to MAN from about 1980 nonstop until 2014, but whenever my current subscription runs out that will be it for me too.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:46 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

There is a pretty good RC magazine out of the UK I see in the LHS, Flying Scale Models. They even publish plans in from time to time. The only problem its $10 an issue so I don't buy every issue.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:12 AM
ETpilot

Well I ordered a CDI to see if I can get my ATV running. The part was supposed to get here today. I also ordered a wattmeter and battery checker, shipment enroute.

Both orders are delayed by this cold wave up North. Not sure when I will get these orders. Just a wait wait situation.

I’ve been using my truck in place of the ATV; not as convenient. But I have to be careful. The pastures are still wet and don’t want to get stuck in any soft ground or mud areas.

Since conditions are not favorable for flying, I on occasion practice flying with a couple of apps on my iPad. So yesterday I was doing just that. I made a board for my recliner chair that reaches arm rest to arm rest. On it I have an adjustable iPad hold I made. So I was using the app practice flying unaware I had placed a soft drink on the board. I was engrossed flying inverted, spirals, low passes,etc. Unaware that my drink was creeping down. Until it fell in my lap. I was covered with coke and ice cubes. That gets your attention. Clean up time. LOL.

Last edited by ETpilot; 02-01-2019 at 04:31 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

We had a bad day yesterday. My old Boxer Beagle Julia aka Wigglebutt has been ailing so I took her to the vet. I had to leave her so the doc could squeeze her exam in between appointments. It didn't take long he vet called and said my little girl had advance lymphoma that had spread the the heart, and intestinal track. The vet on examination gave her some pain meds to make her comfortable but said the best she could for her is keep her comfortable for a few more days before she passed. In my head I know I made the right choice in going back up to comfort her while she was euthanized but it still hurts to loose a member of the family. Her sister Millie a small Chocolate Lab sits in the front bedroom still watching for Julia to come home. Now I'm worried I loose her too by pining away for her life long companion. Millie has never been an only dog her whole life and I can bring myself to replace Julia. At our age we seem to see more death but it never gets easier.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:02 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Same here, have an old Sheltie that is not long for this world. He sleeps most of the time now, but has tumors. He isn't suffering, but can tell he wont be around much longer. We lost a couple cats last year, they were 17 years old, two brothers. The hardest thing for me was losing my horse a few years ago. He was my best buddy, took good care of me when we went out riding, and he had a sense of humor. I miss his head hugs.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:37 AM
FlyerInOKC

Julia always thought she was my dog. When she started having problems getting on the bed a night I would lift her up and get a look of true gratitude. She was my partner.and like to lay near to me no matter what I was doing.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:54 PM
ETpilot

Flyer, sorry for your loss. I been there many times and know how it hurts. Hope your pain heals fast and Millie can adjust without Julia. I’m down to my last 3 and hope I can last to take care of them when they go. All pets except my first dog are buried here on the property where they lived and roamed.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:49 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Well guys you have hit on a very sensitive subject for me. We have had several cats and dogs over the years and I have been the one to put them down when the time arrives, my last was a Rhodesian ridge-back, wonderful animal.
Currently we have no animals because we try to travel and have no one to care for them when we are gone, but mostly the vet cost and the pain of putting my animals down takes a bit too much out of me. I do not care to do it again.

APPOWNER.......... the tv's that need repair will always get a teardown. or just about anything else that fails to function. I have saved a ton of cash by making repairs, my time is not and issue I can spend it looking at tv or advancing my knowledge my friends asked about the time I spent on building my home, well I finished it thirty years ago and never paid on a mortgage. I have been totally out of debt since. do the math!

The key boards and most electronics can be washed, but the care taken in the drying process is paramount and most people are in too much of a rush to do it right so I do not recommend it.

Last edited by donnyman; 02-02-2019 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:05 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by karolh
Guys switching to another topic, as after having discontinued subscribing to Model Airplane News (MAN) for several years I recently decided to renew my subscription. I eagerly awaited my first issue but when it arrived I was so disappointed, as gone is the quality magazine it used to be, now substituted with very cheap looking and feel paper and graphics. They have certainly done the old MAN mag I so liked absolutely no favors, and to think that I almost signed up for two years. If this is progress, well !!!!
I concur, and The ARF ads bore me to tears. I believe the magazine business is in decline. Once again it takes too much time to read them (everybody's in a rush) but I have noticed the increase in construction articles. I am also thinking of leaving the AMA, I haven't flown in quite sometime now and the membership cost is bugging me. but I do enjoy the magazine.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:48 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

[QUOTE=acdii;12494010]It's Building Season, not flying season! /QUOTE]

Fuselage of my Reseve Baron in the SLEC jig. I've changed the construction a bit. On the original model the forward section is made from plywood, I have substituted 1/4" sheet balsa. Actually it's 6mm balsa so it's a litle thicker and I've had to sand it down to match the longerons. The longerons themselves are from basswod instead of balsa. Metal geared micro-servos will be mounted in the rear fuselage for the rudder and elevator and an OS 52FS will power the model. I have already built the tailplane, fin and wing halves using a conventional D box wing structure instead of the multi-spar construction of Mr Chauzit's original wing. I am hoping by this means to produce a lighter model than standard.I still need to make up a firewall from 1/4 plywood.

Should I glass the tank bay now that I've dispensed with the plywood forward fuselage or will the basswood longerons provide adequate strength?

Old 02-05-2019, 05:47 AM
FlyerInOKC

I would glass the tank area in case of an unfortunate incident.

I love the SLEC jigs I wish they were available over here. I have one a gift from a modeler in the UK and would like to expand the number of uprights.

Mike
Old 02-05-2019, 07:56 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC

I love the SLEC jigs I wish they were available over here. I have one a gift from a modeler in the UK and would like to expand the number of uprights.

Mike
Agreed! Basically you need to fuel proof the tank area along with the engine area. A wash of epoxy does the trick. Whether or not you throw any glass in there is your choice.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:07 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by donnyman
I concur, and The ARF ads bore me to tears. I believe the magazine business is in decline. Once again it takes too much time to read them (everybody's in a rush) but I have noticed the increase in construction articles. I am also thinking of leaving the AMA, I haven't flown in quite sometime now and the membership cost is bugging me. but I do enjoy the magazine.
I left the AMA some 25 years back when I realized they provided no value for me. Haven't looked back and don't regret it.
I for one never cared for their magazine, MA. My main interest were the build and review articles anyway. I found those categories in RCM, Scale RC, MAN and others to be better written. And more of them were directed to my interests. And they didn't constantly preach the AMA to everyone.

I miss some of those mags.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC

Mike
They are available quite cheaply but they're black these days.

Spare Angles for Building Jig
Old 02-05-2019, 10:22 AM
FlyerInOKC

i looked into ordering a complete jig for the 10 angles I wanted but their website was unable to determine shipping and told me to call the store. So I didn't order. SLEC carries a great little wood plane too.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:22 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

My internet and landline contract allows me to phone any UK or French landline at no extra cost. If you like I could ask Ian Hull for the cost of postage of the board and brackets and get back to you.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:37 PM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
My internet and landline contract allows me to phone any UK or French landline at no extra cost. If you like I could ask Ian Hull for the cost of postage of the board and brackets and get back to you.
PM sent!
Old 02-06-2019, 04:01 PM
ETpilot

I finally got my weather delayed part for my ATV. Got it running, cleaning it up before putting it back together. Back in the saddle again. After market part $31.83 including shipping. OEM part $250 what a deal.

I got my weather delayed battery checker and wattmeter. Time to learn how to use them.

Searched thru my storage building and found a 300 watt computer power supply. May use it to replace the low power supply I’m using now. I have a few other old computers need to check those to see if there is any higher output power supply. Makes cutting foam easier.

Now if I can only finish covering my one little ole airplane.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:19 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by ETpilot
Now if I can only finish covering my one little ole airplane.
The rest of the stuff was easy now you are at the hard part!
Old 02-07-2019, 07:10 AM
donnyman

This is the last plane I will build for anyone, once I glass that door it's out of here.....Table top is a mess.

Balsa block soon to be sheets

This used to be a block but is now sheet of various thickness

Metal shaping practice
Telemaster...... your table top looks nice and clean compared to mine. I have seen building jigs but never used one, yours looks to be very sturdy. It's a confused building season here we have enjoyed rather warm weather the passed week but just a few moments ago a cold front passed and the TEMP. is dropping rather rapidly as I type this (crazy weather) another front is on it's way.

I have been able to spend some time in my shop but my daughters trailer was invaded by bats, one got into the house and now my daughter is scared to death. It took a lot of arm swinging to get the bat to fly out the door. It is against the law to kill them here they are treated like celebrity. So we spent a lot of time sealing the house against further invasion.

Meanwhile I was able to cut myself a stack of sheet balsa from block and was happy my band saw handled the job quite well with a minimum of waste. the biggest problem was adjusting the saw to not throw blades, once done things went well.
I have cut as thin as 1/16" and I am becoming more proficient shaping thin aluminum (soda cans) to make various items to enhance surface scale detail.

Last edited by donnyman; 02-07-2019 at 07:16 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.