Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 06:54 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

My benches are door slabs without the hole for the doorknob. I use Homasote to build on. https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...4433130882.htm
Old 04-05-2019, 04:42 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I have been building on a piece of wallboard for decades. The only problem I have found is CA will soak in if it gets the change leaving a hard spot.
Hi Mike, I had that exact problem with CA and Epoxy sticking to the surface of Drywall on my building board and I also would lay a pipete that had a little CA left in laying on it and it would get wedge between different things left on the table and then the glue would ozz out and glue its self to the surface. When I resurface this board I will go with 1/2 as its much easier to handle! but it is still a great pinning surface
Thank You
Michael Johnston
Old 04-05-2019, 07:47 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

I like it, I have a roll of Great Planes plan protector that seems to work pretty good in protecting the plans and the wallboard. One thing nice about wallboard its cheap to replace.
Old 04-05-2019, 09:31 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

I have posted on this topic before but a post entitled, "Disposing Of Modelling Goods," on British aeromodelling website raised the subject again, so what is your opinion?

A few years ago, a friend, who was the secretary of another club, informed me that one of its members had died and left his widow with over 400 model related items and that's grouping all of the plans, propellers, fuel tanks etc together. Apparently both the deceased and his widow had well-paid jobs and they had no children so he was able to indulge his passion for the hobby to the full. Among the items for disposal for example, were an in-line OS four cylinder fourstroke and a matching ARTF De Havilland Puss Moth. I was not in that league but after two of his friends had spent a long time compiling a list of everything which was for sale, I bought a complete Roy Scott 1/6 scale BE2e for £90, thats 105€ or $117US. Picture below.

That was probably five years ago and in an email recently from another friend, those same two blokes had visited the flying field with a list of items still for sale. They had obviously over-priced them.

Many of us are hoarders. As one old aeromodeller said to me, "It goes with the territory." As an example, I do not consider myself to be an engine collector but I own thirty-nine of them ranging from a Mills 75, (that's 0.75cc!) to a Laser 155. Only six of them are currently fitted into serviceable models. I turned seventy-one last month and I have started to get rid of those engines which I think will never power one of my models again, mostly the two strokes. I recently disposed of a Merco 35, a 25cc Super Tigre and a K&B 65 for three botlles of Beaujolais Villages which is probably more than I would get for them on eBay!

As a British aeromodeller posted, "... our precious toys have a small and numerically shrinking base which needs this stuff." The Grim Reaper is starting to thin out the ranks of those amongst us whose first model was probably a Keil Kraft Achilles, (chose your small American free flight equivalent!) and we are not being replaced by younger generations in the same numbers, hence there are great bargains to be had owing to diminishing demand, but your estate will get Sweet Fanny Adams for your stuff when it's your turn to go to that Great Flying Field in the Sky!

Old 04-07-2019, 12:57 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Gentlemen, you may accuse me of being excessively morbid if you like but I was impressed by the following post from a contributor to the British thread referred to above.

" Sadly I have seen this, in the not too distant past, with the modelling belongings of someone I used to fly with. He sadly became progressively worse with cancer, and had to be moved to a home for care. After he sadly passed away his daughters began clearing his (rented) house, which understandably had to be emptied by a particular date. He owed many fairly valuable unrun engines ( how about six - yes six - Saito radials) plus a collection of unrun Lasers. He also had lots of unfinshed interesting projects along with some nice yet to be started ones. A Duncan Hutson Tiger Moth and a YT International Beaver, complete with it's float set were just two unstarted projects I spotted among many more. There were also two new/unused 2.4ghz Futaba radios there. One being a 12FG, the other a 10ch set. I was actually with him when he bought these sets, so I knew they'd not been used, as he flew only very occasionally due to his health issues.The unfortunate bit is that his married daughters would probably be totally unaware of the worth/value of much of the stuff he had, and much of it would have sadly been thrown into the large skip which I saw outside the house at one point. And before you ask. No I didn't, as I was a bit saddened by his passing. I'm aware where one of the Saito radials went ( a former forum user here) but as for the others, I have no idea. I imagine this sort of thing happens a lot."

I don't have any Saito radials and I'm under no illusions that my two stroke engines will be worth anything when my time comes. They're not worth much today! Even that brand new and unrun Enya 35 only cost me £10, but I do have three brand new Laser fourstrokes which have never been fitted into a model and an unstarted DB Sport & Scale 1/4 scale SE5 kit. That little lot should fetch at least a few hundred towards my estate and if the writing was on the wall, I'd sell them toute de suite rather than risk them being tossed into a skip by people who do not know their value.

I'd be interested in your views..
Old 04-07-2019, 02:34 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just ENJOY what you have and don't worry about what happens to your ( JUNK) stuff when you are gone . Red
Old 04-07-2019, 05:27 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

so true who cares what you have or if you have a very loud Rossi to fly around the sky! Michael
Old 04-07-2019, 07:48 PM
FlyerInOKC

I enjoy my airplanes and stuff now for when I'm gone I will be beyond caring.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:12 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Sound philosophies gentlemen! I enjoyed practising for La Coupe Des Barons yesterday with my Baron fitted with a 52 fourstroke for the first time.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 04-08-2019 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:50 AM
Sir Blue Henry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

slightly different vein but the principle still applies. When one of the gentlemen in our plastic model club passed away his wife invited every member of the IPMS club to come and select a built model from his collection. The unbuilt models were available for sale to club members. I reckon the only way to ensure your stuff goes to the people and places you feel are modet deserving or will continue your projects or whatever the case, then you need to lay out a clear will and leave copies with spouse, closest friends in the club or whatever. I do think it especially disheartening when you have known a fellow modeller for decades and then see his stuff get moved and chucked out in a haphazard way.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:40 AM
FlyerInOKC

I have a friend who occasionally liquidates RC estates locally. He knows I like to build so over the years he has given me 3 or 4 projects that would have ended up in the trash so I could finish them at my leisure..
Old 04-09-2019, 03:06 PM
red head

I'm surprised that AMA (etc) doesn't have a listing of schools, colleges etc. that would like donations for school projects . Red
Old 04-09-2019, 07:10 PM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Having a bunch of stuff to be disposed at my passing has been on my mind for quite some time, so I am slowly making good deals to those that pay cash. I contemplated e-bay and such but I dread packing everything so far is cash and carry.
No! I wont last long enough to get rid of all this stuff but I am trying. giving stuff away to various organizations has been a challenge for me it seems they don't want anything.

The last few weeks has been rather bothersome with the flu getting to me then the internet going belly up and I feel it is on the narrow edge as I type this.

The weather today is fabulous but this being Texas it will change shortly.

ETpilot ...... that runway of yours sure looks pretty.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:30 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

10th April has dawned clear and bright so looks like a good flying day. I'll be flying practicing with the Baron.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:57 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I have just made an inventory of my "squadron."

I have:

3 models requiring extensive repair.
1 model in the process of being built.
2 models that require a little fettling.
2 models which are built and unflown but require finishing off.

Given all of the above, I have two questions for you.

1. Why oh why, as letter-writers to the BBC used to say, why oh why have I started building the Big Guff?

2. Am I alone in this practice?
Old 04-13-2019, 04:13 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK

I have:

1. Why oh why, as letter-writers to the BBC used to say, why oh why have I started building the Big Guff?

I hate to be the one to tell you, that you are quite normal in this practice. I just bought myself an1180 mm span Cub kit from Bang Good and now that it has arrived I am here scratching my head and wondering why in the world did I buy another kit. I am trying to convince myself it's because I've always wanted a Cub but in truth it's not working.
Old 04-13-2019, 07:12 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK

I have:

Um, nope. B-25 on the bench, need to replace the retracts in another, Corsair and P-51 that still need to be completed, need to fit the cowl to the T-clips so I can adjust the needle, and that plane needs the engine run up and tuned before test flight, new SomethinXtra waiting on it's maiden, P-47 still need to do the finishing touches on. Also have two other planes started (not by me) on the other bench.

So basically
4 in the bones,
2 need completion
2 need repairs
3 need maidens.

Then I have my trailer planes that need a once over and battery charging.

I also have 6 engines to run in.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:15 AM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think that from a hobby and fun thing, it becomes an addiction. That was it for me. When I got back into the hobby I figured one or two airplanes that would be it. Now I have 5 airplanes to maiden and my trusty SPAD; knock off the rust do what I want airplane. Building is an addiction. I use a computer print out or a picture and draw the full size lines I need for the build. It is a challenge, but satisfying to me.

Right now I’m doing mods to my engine stand so I can get started with practice then maidens. Bad storm came thru yesterday. Heavy part missed out area. But trees down and power outages all around. I have some tree trimming to do and one to cut down, just as a preventive measure. Runway wet so I have to wait some more.

My SPAD, go to airplane and my first build 2015, first to maiden.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:19 AM
Appowner
Banned

Thanks guys! I feel better now.

60 plus sets of plans.
12 plus un-started kits.
1 waiting maiden........for 20 years now.
2 waiting refurbishing.
3 on the boards.
And tomorrow I go to Lowe's to get the supplies for a new building board that will handle the fuselage of a Hostetler 30% Cherokee.

Did I mention the boats?
Old 04-14-2019, 12:49 PM
red head

!4 hanging on the wall, just need to be cleaned up, fueled / charged etc. 6 still in the box to be built and all I take to the field is a beat up foamy . But I ENJOY it so who GAS . Red LOL
Old 04-16-2019, 09:09 AM
merlin52

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boys when the good lord calls we "wing our way upwards" My boys can do what they want with my gear give it to youth clubs skools what ever sell it
I'm 68 in 7 days started work @8 still working
started my addiction aged 9
I found in my fathers ED racer/comp special with a wooden prop on, in his carpentry tool box (ex RAF flight sargent fitter and rigger ) nailed it to some hard wood rails and clamped it in a 7lb record vice tried all sort of fuel flick flick for absolutely HOURS no go
My mum took pity on me n told the old boy to put me out of my missery he simply got a large brown bottle out of his box, half lilled a jam jar with a clear liquid (ether) added some REDEX (fuel addative) shaken not stired
used an eye dropper squirted some in the exaust flick flick mutter some black mystical words about comprression turned the screw out re primed flik flik pop n bang srewed it in a bit filled the fuel bowl ,opened some thing at the back
reprimed BOOM this screaming smelly howling demon !!!!!! BOY ive been hooked ever since.
Have been building n crashing since "the boys own blue book" appeared in our home with a plan scaled up on to wall paper built on a bannana box lid powerd by a mills .75 i nicked of my dad
My list 1/4 cc diesls up to 20cc
1/4 glows up to 60cc
petrol 5cc to 660cc
wren turbines
pulse jets
basically if its smelly - goes suck bang blow heaven !!!!!
Planes of wood- fibre glass helicopters from Dieter schluter to present power boats
Radio gear RCS special 2 channel valve set galloping gost Phil kraft from Geof franklin uk sole distributer (his brother mog worked for phil in the states designing rc gear) later futaba wc2
i have allways said that a good flight pushing your limits and getting down in one peice is just as good as sex !!!!!!!! (6 children 3 wives later) and no tv -pmsl-

Last edited by BarracudaHockey; 04-16-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:29 PM
Flicker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi all,
Yeah, I've got a bit of a pile myself

Eaglet 50, Senorita, TF Contender, TF P-47 (both "Gold"), Bridi Utter Kaos & 4 Seasons 40, Airtronics New Era 20, Tharpe Flyin' King, & I'm sure a couple more.

Engine stash includes 2 K&B 20 (one on plane) & 2 28 Sportsters (the 20 is amazing on a Zinger 10-4 btw - lots of pull), O.S 35 & 46 AX, Fox 40 Deluxe ABC, Saito 62, O.S 95-V, + a few Cox, etc.

I haven't bought much over the last year or so (getting building board/work area together), but I did nab these recently:

The Sweet Stik and ST 60 are new in box. The Brown Junior is used in Box
Bob
Old 04-16-2019, 02:42 PM
Flicker
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ETpilot

I think that from a hobby and fun thing, it becomes an addiction. That was it for me. When I got back into the hobby I figured one or two airplanes that would be it. Now I have 5 airplanes to maiden and my trusty SPAD; knock off the rust do what I want airplane. Building is an addiction. I use a computer print out or a picture and draw the full size lines I need for the build. It is a challenge, but satisfying to me.

Right now I’m doing mods to my engine stand so I can get started with practice then maidens. Bad storm came thru yesterday. Heavy part missed out area. But trees down and power outages all around. I have some tree trimming to do and one to cut down, just as a preventive measure. Runway wet so I have to wait some more.

My SPAD, go to airplane and my first build 2015, first to maiden.

ET,
Nice SPAD, Lovely Stik!

Bob (formerly of Nacogdoches..)
Old 04-16-2019, 02:59 PM
ETpilot

Today I managed to finish the second mod to my engine test stand. Need to test it. One more mod to go. I will start a thread in Tips and Techniques if anyone is interested.

This lady down the road has had an ant problem. I told her I needed to see inside the wall to see what we have. After I finished with my engine test stand, I drove over there to take a look-see.

OMG, I expected a small problem. But this is what I found, structural destruction. Carpenter Ants. I need to remove more wall sheeting also door and frame has to come out. Also need to look under house in crawl space. I need to study this to see how I’m going to fix it. Many years of damage. There go my projects.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:05 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by Flicker
ET,
Nice SPAD, Lovely Stik!

Bob (formerly of Nacogdoches..)

Thanks. I live 30 minutes N of Nac.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.