Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 12:38 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

My daughter in-law in Kansas just called to report the bathroom light switch had water coming out of it and get advise. The bathroom was an add on to a 1911 farmhouse for that matter so is the electricity. I told her don't touch it and check the floor for water before entering. The floor is slightly lower than the rest of the house. The leak will be found after the rain stops. I think I can predict a trip to Kansas in the near future.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:51 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

hmm does it sound like there is a water line above the bathroom? I had that pex stuff in my house in houston texas and was allways worried it would leak but It never did when i was there. The water heater was also up there and that was the dumbest thing in my mind. Because it would cost you $1000.00 USD to get a plumber to crawl through the duct work to get to it. My neighbor had that happened just as we sold our house and moved north! Michael
Old 05-20-2019, 01:03 PM
FlyerInOKC

I would be surprised the bathroom area is only one floor tall with a shed roof. I believe the plumbing comes in from the crawl space. I installed a medicine cabinet into the wall above the sink and there were no pipes in that wall. I lean toward the roof not having the proper flashing where it met the existing wall.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:48 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
My daughter in-law in Kansas just called to report the bathroom light switch had water coming out of it and get advise. The bathroom was an add on to a 1911 farmhouse for that matter so is the electricity. I told her don't touch it and check the floor for water before entering. The floor is slightly lower than the rest of the house. The leak will be found after the rain stops. I think I can predict a trip to Kansas in the near future.
I think pulling the circuit breakers may be a good idea. Electricity and water is a bad mix. Think it out and see if disabling the circuits for the area is a good idea.
Old 05-20-2019, 07:22 PM
FlyerInOKC

She was going to have my son do that.
Old 05-21-2019, 12:17 PM
ETpilot

Now, being in a hurry to get that sun cover built yesterday I dug around 2 steel poles I had set for the old job. I got them loose, that I could move them around in the dirt. Today I pulled them. Both needed more digging. One pole came out with a chain and load binder. The second was more stubborn. It needed more digging and 2 chains with 2 load binders. Both are out and holes are now 3/4 full. The rain has the dirt easy to dig. I need 4 holes for the current roof job. After the hard work, I cleaned up and went to town for Taco Tuesday. Tacos $1.00 each. Good deal. Good food.

On my drive to town I avoided what would have been a very bad accident. As I drove to this country intersection where vehicles are always approaching from my right, I see a dark colored vehicle speeding to the intersection. I figured he was going to blow the stop sign. I slowed down and sure enough as we both get to the intersection, he runs thru the stop sign and starts a turn into my lane in order to get to the opposite lane. Well there was no thinking here. I knew there was no oncoming traffic, so I made a quick left to get to the far side of the oncoming lane and a quick right to get back into my lane. We must have cleared by a foot to two. The vehicle behind me had to do the same as the car had stopped in our lane. Had there been oncoming vehicles I would have had to run right into his door. Probably a bad scene and I would have had a destroyed beautiful 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. To me it was all quick and reaction only. I wonder how the offending driver felt. I know what he did. He concentrated on traffic that may be coming from his right and there was no traffic. Somehow he never saw me until I passed around him.

I went to NAPA to see about AC parts. Total system redo for my truck will be right at $500.00 in parts. Labor is on me. Always something to do.

Here are some pictures of work progress. I’ll post a picture when roof job is done.

Old 05-22-2019, 07:30 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Honeydo's a real pain in the retirement. ETpilot some how I think we are related in someway, I have to do the same as you I attempted to build a shed for my motorhome

I can't finish this!
but now it has to come down (too much work for me to build) so now I have all this piled up and don't know what to do with it Plus I have a Pile of used 2x6's
Old 05-22-2019, 07:33 AM
donnyman

I got to pull all those post out of the ground so I can have a shelter shed installed. anybody need corrugated sheet metal??
Old 05-22-2019, 07:34 AM
FlyerInOKC

Getting older sucks! But it does beat a dirt nap.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:40 AM
donnyman

Flyer.....................congrats on the anniversary, time fly's when your having fun! We will celebrate 56yrs in July....Whew!
Old 05-22-2019, 07:59 AM
ETpilot

Donny our lives do parallel somewhat. From Brooklyn to Texas, Chanute AFB. Etc. Sometimes I think maybe working for a living beats retirement. Too much to do retired. But no!! I would not change a thing. LOL.

If you lived closer I could recycle the tin and wood. Here is my last major build, 2015. A solo build with my trusty tractor and scaffold helper. Only the roof shingling was farmed out. No more big jobs. Only semi-big. Getting ready to dig 4 holes. Ground is super soft.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:15 AM
donnyman

I built a small one like that for my mowers but it did not look as pretty as yours, now it is a disaster and needs a major rebuild.
Old 05-22-2019, 08:24 AM
Dan.H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im only 30
Old 05-22-2019, 08:44 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
I got to pull all those post out of the ground so I can have a shelter shed installed. anybody need corrugated sheet metal??
At one time I was going to line the ceiling of my barn with white steel panels, so went out and bought enough 11 and 12 foot panels to cover 36 x 80 ceiling. I got one panel up, realized this is not a one man job and requires some sort of lift/scaffold, and now have a stack of panels taking up a corner of the barn. 10 years earlier and it would have been done, but too many years sitting behind a desk, plus back and knee injuries over the years have made doing this work no fun at all. My fixit list has grown to proportions that I just can't keep up with. Thankfully I saw a loose gutter adn got a couple screws in it before the storm ripped it off. I got two screws in, then it poured. Later on after the storm cleared I was able to reattach it all the way. In the process, found that debris and an unsealed gutter corner rotted out the soffit behind the house. Add another one to the list. My hay barn that I built 10 years ago is in bad need of paint and repairs, the octagon window brickmold trim rotted out, so much for 20 year exterior paint. The paint on the panels held up better and it was cheap paint, the wood trim paint was the expensive stuff, and it was all primed too. It all flaked off.

Waiting on the rain to stop for at least 2 weeks so the ground can firm up, waiting on getting my drives replaced. Roof leaked a few years back, and damaged the kitchen cabinets, and recently found it got under the floor tiles as a 6 x 8 section is all broken up now. The dishwasher failed, so much for Maytag, the Jenn Air oven failed, replaced with a Kenmore, the LG refrigerator I bought failed in 8 months, replaced with a Kenmore, it failed after 3 years, and just got a new Whirlpool delivered last weekend. I'm pretty much done trying to do my own repairs, and to hire someone I need at least $60K just to fix up the interior.

I hate my house.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

Originally Posted by Dan.H
Im only 30
We won't hold your youth and inexperience against you!
Old 05-22-2019, 09:23 AM
FlyerInOKC

I think anyone who has ever remoldeled their own home can identify with the at movie. I know I do!
Old 05-22-2019, 09:49 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Im only 30
We all were once!
Old 05-22-2019, 12:02 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im only 30
Don't remind us, please . Red
Old 05-22-2019, 12:03 PM
ETpilot

My problem is that I keep thinking like I’m 30. But my body says NO YOU ARE NOT. Today I was changing equipment on my tractor. My auger has not been used in years. I had forgotten how heavy both pieces were, all worn out changing equipment and quit for the day. No holes dug.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:04 PM
donnyman

Im only 30
Are you bragging or complaining???
just hang in there, time will solve your problem!
Old 05-23-2019, 01:11 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by ETpilot

My problem is that I keep thinking like I’m 30. But my body says NO YOU ARE NOT. Today I was changing equipment on my tractor. My auger has not been used in years. I had forgotten how heavy both pieces were, all worn out changing equipment and quit for the day. No holes dug.
seems normal to me!
Old 05-23-2019, 02:02 PM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by donnyman
seems normal to me!

That's what I like about this thread. It is about model airplanes; building and flying and more. But also covers life problems, triumphs and tribulations.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:24 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Sorry to return to the subject of toy aeroplanes but our club cancelled our fly-in last Sunday as the weather was so uncertain but we held a four-course lunch for members and their ladies then staged our Mini Coupe Des Barons.

A team of seven of us will represent the club at the real Coupe Des Barons in September but only five of us turned out on the day. Two wimps claimed that there models were not quite ready. Mmm...

I eyed up the competition.

Roger had flown in the French National Championships in the past and is the best pilot in the club.

Francois is the best builder in the club and at seventy-nine, the oldest member of the club. All of the others call him "Papi," which means granddad. However, he tends to get rather nervous.

Ludovic is "only" thirty but builds and flys superbly. He would be competition! He works as a panel beater/ paint sprayer for the local Volkwagen agent and his skill is reflected in his models.

Jean-Luc is a house builder and builds lovely models too. He claims that I am a better pilot than him but I'm not sure.

The first thing to happen was that a gust of wind blew Roger's model off the erection table and onto the ground damaging the wing, so he was out of the competition before it even started!

The first test was a pylon race. I think that I made eleven circuits in the five minutes allocated but was only credited with nine. Francois was credited with eleven and I was in second place.

Ludo had never flown his model before. It was fitted with an Enya 29 which I had given him. He had mounted inverted; it gave trouble all afternoon. Wrong plug? Inadequate running in? It spoiled his chances.

The next round involved knocking over 1 metre high expaned polystyrene sticks. I didnt hit any but Francois did.

The third round required us to chase a trainer towing a ribbon. I managed a hit which was worth 40 points but so did Jean- Luc.

The final round was the limbo where you had to fly through a "goalpost," measuring 4 metres high by 10 meters wide. I managed a couple of passes before I hit the upright and the model crashed to the ground! This damaged the wing, wrecked the cowling, forced the firewall to break away and a couple of fuselage longerons were broken. It's a blessing in disguise really. Having fitted a four-stroke I needed to put extra weight in the rear to balance the model. I intend to move the servos to the rear when I get round to it.

Francois, the grand old man of the club, by flying his electric powered Baron steadily all afternoon, was the winner. I finished in third position. Not much of an achievement really considering that of the five models which turned up on the day one was damaged by the wind before we even started and another had engine trouble all day. Apparently I'm going to get a cup!

I didn't take my camera with me but here are some pictures of my model, Ludo's model and of Francois with his model.

Boris. My Baron finished in spoof Russian WW1 colours.

Ludovic's Baron.

Francois' Baron

For those who still don't know what the real Coupe Des Barons is all about scroll down to "Video Coupe 2018" here: https://saffiotipatrick.wixsite.com/vl38/les-barons.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 05-23-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:22 AM
Dan.H

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha! You guys make me look forward to the Advil and b12 shots. Im already getting into the slow paced planes and drinkin 3 cups of coffee just to make a patch.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:35 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The "Money Pit" is one of my wifes favorite movie and it's quite funny! and there is another Richard Pryer movie called " Moving" in which he buys a house in another city and the seller takes the Kitchen Cabinets and the stone of the interior walls when he moves out! For all You RC's in the USA and Europe let us not forget Monday May 27 2019 Memorial day. To all the vets I served with in my youth and all The veterans of world! Thank You!
Michael Johnston

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.