Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 03:54 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a couple comments about your contest . I'm not a fan of inverted engines and especially Enya's . I alway's had better luck mounting them on their side if not upright.
As far as your "LIMBO" flight goes ( sorry you broke it ) . I had a student once that wanted help to learn Limbo .( I had done some but not much ) What we did for practice was to put a paper plate on the runway and make SPOT touch & go's on the plate . What it does for ya is get you on the ground under the limbo pole without hitting the poles . If they have a rule that you can't touch down , it gets a little harder but it's still good practice . Red
Old 05-25-2019, 08:37 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks Red!

In La Coupe, if you can do a "touch and go" in any of the rounds you gain 3 points. In the Limbo you gain 15 points each time you go under the obstacle so you get a total of 18 points if you incorporate a touch and go as well. Mind you, you'd have to avoid all of the wrecked models that litter the ground all around the goalpost! I've tried practising touch and goes at my club but have always hit the ground with the propeller!

If you can pass beneath the obstacle while performing a loop, you gain 30 points. I've never seen it done successfully!

My Reserve Baron, which features a number of modifications, is taking shape. If these prove to be successful, I'll modify Boris accordingly. Photos to follow.

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 05-25-2019 at 09:00 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 09:16 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I assembled the Reserve Model with its lighter competition wing yesterday, in a sort of rough and ready manner, in order to check the centre of gravity. The engine mount was only screwed to the firewall with two small wood-screws, the tailplane was pinned in place and the wheels were simply pushed on to the undercarriage.

The model was originally designed for a 19 two-stroke. For the competition, La Coupe Des Barons, four-stroke engines up to a 52 are permitted. Because the OS52 is so heavy I fitted two standard servos in the rear fuselage to balance the model. If the model had proved to be tail-heavy I would have replaced them with smaller, lighter servos of the same power.

With the rx battery moved to a forward position it balanced perfectly.

Sorry the cybernetics on this site will not allow me to post a picture even if I reduce the size of the picure by 50%.

If at first you don't succeed...

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 05-27-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 04:44 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

It will be intersting to see how it handles in flight compared to the other airplane.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:49 PM
ETpilot

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

BOOHOO,

Cajun Mudbug Season, or Crawfish to some, is almost over. I visited my favorite Seafood Buffet restaurant for all you can eat seafood and mudbugs. On my 3rd trip I thought I was done. Three large bowl full. But I had to go up a 4th time for a plate full. Mudbugged out. Spicy and Hot.

Might be be time for one more visit. Then a pause til next season.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:53 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I have an aversion to eating things with the legs and head still attached! LOL Gives me the willies.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:32 AM
ETpilot

Originally Posted by acdii
I have an aversion to eating things with the legs and head still attached! LOL Gives me the willies.
I have to go eat by myself as friends feel as you do. Even at the restaurant some don’t eat them. To me it the reason I go, a Mudbug Buffet.

I have 4 corner posts set for my sun roof. I moved and set those concreted posts in perfect position. Two more intermediate posts need to be set. Holes are dug but need concrete. Then cut all at about 10.5 feet. The rest is easy wood construction. Can’t wait. The Sun is growing hotter here.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:57 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by acdii
You remove the heads and legs before eating the rest.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:32 PM
acdii

We have had so much rain, with more around today, that my septic field is mush. I don't know if its mush all the way down, or just mush above the dome. So far have not had any issues with the tank, but if we don't start getting some dry days, need at least a good week or two without rain, I don't know what will happen. My sumps are going quite often once again, so have to keep watch on them, if one fails, then the basement gets wet.

Today I got my 4' rough cut mounted on the 3 point, and adjusted. It is the only attachment I have that cannot be used with my quick hitch, and that is annoying because it requires a complete teardown on the 3 point to mount. My backhoe goes on faster!
Old 06-02-2019, 08:05 AM
ETpilot

Changing out tractor implements is a real pain. Something you have to do often. Right now I still have my auger attached to the tractor. Plus the front end loader with forks. That is how I moved my last 2 pipes for the Sun roof.

The auger is an awkward piece of equipment. Not easy to handle and heavy. I may have to make a holder for it for easier management and storage. Then I have to take the front end loader off and put on the brush cutter to mow some areas. So it is with tractors. I hope I can cut the runway this week and get an airplane in the air.

Septic tanks are a pain in very rainy weather. We are drying out here so ground should get super hard.

Old 06-03-2019, 06:07 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Guys, yesterday I had the first Sunday off since march 15th and I went to my club to fly my easysport and it was very humid out there and the bugs wouldn't leave me alone! I am flying around when all of sudden I see my airplane disappear in a fog bank about 200' feet above the north end of the run way and I could barely see it. I pulled the throttle back and turned it around and brought it back towards me. I landed safely and went back up again for another flight and did a few touch and gos! In my 40 plus years of flying Rc I have never had this happen!

I like this airplane but the landing gear is very week as I keep bending the nose gear and having to bend it back ever time I fly!
Michael Johnston
Old 06-04-2019, 01:52 PM
ETpilot

Michael, that looks like a really nice flying field. Wide open space and well maintained. Flying in fog is bad from the ground looking up. Or flying in it looking down for the ground. I get fog in my area often. Also the high humidity. It has been terrible last few days.

I don’t build tri-gear but I saved this picture just in case. You never know. If you can coil a gear this may help with the bent gear. It may be doable.

Old 06-04-2019, 03:07 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Michael : I know I'm going to catch a real rashing for this statement ( but I can't help it ) . " LEARN TO FLAIR " !!!! RED
Old 06-04-2019, 05:16 PM
mkjohnston

Hey Red thank I appreciate that and yes I was flaring it on landing but I had a couple of flip overs in the grass so I just bent it back! thanks
Michael
Old 06-05-2019, 04:52 AM
FlyerInOKC

Did any of you guys south of the Red river come up for the Tinker AFB air show? I took my grandson both his parents were working the air show with the Civil Air Patrol. My son arranged a short private tour of this for us.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:00 AM
acdii

Bet that was exciting! Closest I got was the shell of a B-50 at Chino.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:20 AM
FlyerInOKC

Oh, it was a chance of a lifetime. My father in-law built B-29 cockpits at the west coast plant during the war. My father was a relief gunner on the 29s during the war in the Pacific. So we feel a family connection. Doc was rebuilt and resides in Wichita, KS (the original plant that built it) not far from Sedgwick, KS where my number 2 son lives. I had an Uncle and aunt who lived in Wichita, He retired from Boeing and at one time my aunt doped wings but I don't remember who for.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:52 AM
mkjohnston

HI Mike, I was in OKC last Friday afternoon as I went over to the science museum and I also stopped at two hobbyshops looking for some fuel. I talked to mike at Mikes and he was completely out. He said he was closing his business up and all the local guys cleaned him out of fuel. I am hopping to go the metroplex (Dallas/Fort Worth) and get some down there.
I forgot about the airshow at Tinker that would have fun to attend! We had a company that was offering rides in a restored B-25 at the local airport and my wife told me I should do it. Then I found it was $250.00 USD a ride and I could not afford it. I did see that airplane fly over town that day!
Michael
Old 06-05-2019, 07:31 AM
FlyerInOKC

Those old Warbird rides can be a hard price to choke down. I blame the high cost of fuel for part of it. Yeah Mike has been hanging in for a long time sounds like he'll probably fold at the end of this month. He keeps having to dip into savings to keep the place open.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:46 AM
acdii

It isn't cheap to keep a Warbird flying. Fuel is only a small part of the cost. Every year a PM is done, which can run ten's of thousands to do. The engines have to be torn down every so often to recertify, and then there is the insurance. The reason Tootsie hasn't flown since 2015 is due to the high cost to certify every year. Then there is the lack of available repair parts, many of which have to be made from scratch.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:54 AM
FlyerInOKC

What totally blew my son away was when I showed him the photo looking into the cockpit and bombardier position. I confirmed with the crew member that Doc has the correct Norden bomb sight for this airplane and I believe it is in working order! I highly suspect it wasn't in the airplane when they pulled Doc out of the bone yard. Unless they got lucky and someone donated it that piece had to been very expensive to find. The radio panel is missing out of Doc and they are considering making a mock up to replace it to fill the gap. These pictures show the radioman's position. I naturally had to sit James down in this spot for a picture. Hats off to Doc's Friends for the work they do!

Old 06-05-2019, 07:59 AM
acdii

I have plans for a B-29, the fuse is something like 10' long.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:26 AM
FlyerInOKC

That would be some airplane!
Old 06-05-2019, 08:33 AM
acdii

Trying to remember if its the 1/10th or 1/12th version. I looked up short kits, PCK usually has them, but out of stock. Don't know how long before they get back to cutting kits since they were bought out. Quite expensive though.

AH, I found Laser design services has the 1/12th short kit for $295.

Last edited by acdii; 06-05-2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:16 AM
acdii

I ran across an article from 2016 about FIFI and maintenance. For every hour of flight, there is 300 hours of maintenance. It burns 400 gallons of fuel an hour, and costs an estimated $10,000 an hour to fly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.