Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Old 06-09-2019, 10:14 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
That it does, but I have a friend who is quite interested in cutting some parts for his B-17, so it will get some use. The K40 I am considering has replacement tubes for $145 and they are good for about 1300 hours. I haven't researched the larger unit though, but they also use a 40W tube, and may have the same tube, the main difference between them is the control board and the X Y carriage for the larger bed, but otherwise use similar components. Would be nice to get a 12 x 16 cutter for $800, then I would have it ordered already, but the $1500 price tag is making me really research every thing. The small bed of the $400 cutter is the hold back at this point. They are great for engraving small items, but not for what I plan to use it for.
Laser cutting is interesting and offers some good stuff but the constant expense and danger of the beam itself caused me to consider a CNC router. it will do the same as a laser without the burned edges. and a cheap Dremel tool can be used for the cutter as we do not need to hold tight tolerances. The burned wood of laser cuts has always left me turned off and I feel causes weak glue joints unless sanded off. If you can tolerate a bit more noise the router maybe the way to go.

Telemaster................... your shop neatness reminds me I need to clean my shop and it will never be as neat as yours. The gooney bird video was nice I enjoyed it. and brought back memories of my first flight ever, New York to Texas on my first day in the military in a gooney bird.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:19 AM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Carlos Murphy
I was 3 months old on D-day, my father was a tail gunner in a B-17, made it home in one piece.
God bless em all.
Welcome aboard Carlos!.....................................I had my third birthday 19 days later.

Last edited by donnyman; 06-09-2019 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:05 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts

Thank you Donny. I've found that if you put tools away as soon as you use them, unless they are required for the next stage of construction, your workshop will remain pretty tidy and you'll be able to find the tools when you need them. I plan to get on with building the Big Guff later today. I've noticed that your shop has a toilet in it Donny. Luxury or what!

I also have a tangential link to D Day.

On 19th August 1942 Canadian Forces landed in strength in a raid on the French port of Dieppe. The objective was to see whether it was possible to capture a port by frontal assault. The Canadians were supported on the flanks by 1000 British Commandos whose job it was to take out the guns which commanded the landing beaches. The Commandos were successful on the right but on the left they did not land in sufficient numbers to be able to disable the guns. The raid was a disaster with casualties, killed, wounded and captured, of 60% or more but it did indicate that capturing a French port would not be easy. Consequently in 1944, they built an artificial harbour at Omaha Beach and at Arromanches from concrete caissons once those beaches had been consolidated. Their remains exist to this day.

My father was a radio operator with 3 Commando which landed on the left flank at Dieppe. Radio operators were tagetted by the defending forces and he was wounded and captured. He was two days shy of his twenty-third birthday and spent the rest of the war in captivity in Poland.

Fifty American Rangers also participarted in the raid. Further information about the raid exists here for those who are interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dieppe...llied_analysis
Old 06-10-2019, 06:50 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

If you liked the link I put up in 6999, you may be interested in this:
Old 06-10-2019, 07:01 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 267 Likes on 234 Posts

WOW! The British invade France again! (Just kidding!) I understand one of the original paratroopers (in his 90s) did a tandem jump that same day recreating his jump in 1944!
Old 06-10-2019, 09:32 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
WOW! The British invade France again! (Just kidding!) I understand one of the original paratroopers (in his 90s) did a tandem jump that same day recreating his jump in 1944!
Yes, he was an American.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:35 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Well, life has well and truely taken over since I last posted about the Big Guff. Distractions have included taking Miss Blue Eyes back to England in the two-tonner; repairing trainers, mine and other people's; participating in a light-hearted competition; finishing off my Reserve Baron for La Coupe Des Barons in September; gardening, I like to grow some of my own vegetables, and starting the construction of a Sharkface! What's a Sharkface? See image below.

However, I had the time yesterday to unpin the Big Guff's fuselage sides from the plasterboard and to frame up the fuselage. I found that the sides had stuck themselves together but with the judicious use of the bread knife I soon had them apart. Normally joining two fuselage sides would have involved fitting two formers under the wing seat but having decided to build the fuselage pretty much as Dr Good designed it, I pinned the fuselage sides to the plan view and cut up lots of 1/4" sq. I have not built a fuselage like this since I built my first model aircraft, a Keil Kraft Ajax, as an eleven year-old! The lines on the plan are rather thick but I simply positioned the fuselage sides in the centre of lines and cut the cross pieces accordingly. I used an aliphatic glue I had bought when I was in England. Marketed by Logic RC, this glue is very thick and though it grips very well it takes two hands to force it out of the plastic bottle. For the joints to the rear of the wing seat I used cyano to save weight. There were one or two instances where the cross member, upright and plan were not in the same place! Whether this was due to my inadequate workmanship or a fault of the plan, I'm not qualified to say. The whole structure will be covered in balsawood sheet and then covered in Solartex so you won't see any discrepancies. Despite these misalignments, I am generally pleased with the results so far; the fuselage is square and true.

The next stage is to pull in the nose and to fit the firewall and F2 former. Despite warnings from Jonathan Harper of Laser not to bolt the engine onto hardwood engine bearers, I have decided to go with the original arragement. I notice that according to the plan, Dr Good used pine for his engine bearers. I have a few feet of oak batten which will need planing to size so I'm going to use the oak counter-drilled for captive nuts to retain the engine.

As I have said earlier I will move the wheels to a more conventional position in order to make take-offs easier. I believe that Dr Good changed to a similar arrangement after the war, Peter Russell certainly did. I have not yet decided whether I will use grooved beech blocks or a plywood plate with saddles to retain the undercarriage. Whichever method I choose I will reinforce the structure between the second and third upright with thin plywood.

Then there's the question of the nose block. Do I use the same nose block as used by Dr Good and have the much longer Laser 70 poking out of the front, or do I extend the nose to match the engine? Decisions, decisions!

Once the fuselage is finished with the radio and engine installed, I plan to wrap it up and store it while I get on with lesser aeromodelling projects before tackling the tail surfaces.

Finally, I have been building a Roy Scott BE2e for several years, but work on this project has stopped partly because I was able to buy a complete BE2e in an estate sale. I also have a DB Sport and Scale SE5 unbuilt in its box. I have a 2 metre and a 3 metre roll of Solartex Dark Green and I was going to use these to cover the BE2, however, I noticed that the colours were different! Either they are from different production batches or the 3 metre roll is actually Olive Drab. Be that as it may, I have recently ordered 10 metres of Dark Green Solartex, while we still can get it, so that I now have 12 metres of a matching colour which should be enough to cover both models if I ever live long enough to build both of them! This means that I could use the Olive Drab/Dark Green to cover the fuselage of the Big Guff. The other options are Solartex Red or Dark Blue. The wing and tailplane will be finished in Antique Solartex. What do you think? Answers on a post card as they used to say on the BBC!

Despite a few minor misgivings about the plan, the kit is pretty good and it produces a magnificent looking model and my isn't it big! I won't be hand launching this one!

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 06-11-2019 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:06 AM
FlyerInOKC

You really had that two tonner packed to the gills. I envy the length of your building board. Construction looks great.

Mike
Old 06-11-2019, 06:57 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman
Laser cutting is interesting and offers some good stuff but the constant expense and danger of the beam itself caused me to consider a CNC router. it will do the same as a laser without the burned edges. and a cheap Dremel tool can be used for the cutter as we do not need to hold tight tolerances. The burned wood of laser cuts has always left me turned off and I feel causes weak glue joints unless sanded off. If you can tolerate a bit more noise the router maybe the way to go.

Telemaster................... your shop neatness reminds me I need to clean my shop and it will never be as neat as yours. The gooney bird video was nice I enjoyed it. and brought back memories of my first flight ever, New York to Texas on my first day in the military in a gooney bird.
Hi Donny, The Laser is more precise than the CNC router. I have no problems gluing together ribs,center spars and fuse sides that where cut with a lazer the only problem that I'v had is when the guy took my plans and made the center spars it was off as much a 1/4 inch but it still looks great! I want to get an epilog but 6 k is steep for one and I dont have the space for it. Thank You
Michael
Old 06-12-2019, 08:06 AM
donnyman

Over the years I've dealt with kits cut by several mediums and cannot justify the expense involved getting laser accuracy which I find is totally unnecessary though preferable. both of these items were hand cut with no where near a 1/4 inch inaccuracy, I have put in a lot of time considering cnc cutting and find for me router accuracy is well beyond what is needed and cost much less.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:38 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Actually, a Laser is no more costly than a CNC. The both require the same software to operate, and some of it is free to use. The Laser and CNC are really nothing more than a fancy printer, it's the software to create the parts that is the killer. I am still researching this part, pretty much already decided that an 80W 20 x 28 is the one to get.

My Rascal 168 was CNC cut, and while the pieces fit together, it still required far more sanding than any laser cut one I ever built. The thing about router cutting is inside square corners are impossible, so they have to be sanded square. The carbon wipes off with a finger, no sanding needed. My B-25 and P-61 cuts are all laser cut too. The parts are only as accurate as the plans.

Here is a 16 x 16 bed 50W cutter that can do the majority of parts for .60 size planes, https://www.toolots.com/jy-4040.html

Since I will be doing parts for 1/8th scale and larger, I will need one like this, https://www.toolots.com/jy-4060.html

Either one uses the same software.

Here is a CNC that is large enough to do the same thing. https://www.robotshop.com/en/carbide...oaAspEEALw_wcB

Last edited by acdii; 06-12-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 AM
FlyerInOKC

I can build a lot of airplanes for that.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:00 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I can build a lot of airplanes for with that.
There, fixed it.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:08 AM
FlyerInOKC

Lol!
Old 06-14-2019, 07:17 AM
donnyman

Default breakfast

I think she is eating a rabbit

Do you recognize what it is? ..it is not a domestic cat for sure, too big

Do you recognize what it is? ..it is not a domestic cat for sure, too big

I think she is eating a rabbit
quick subject change...
look who came to breakfast. I have video and her tail is very short and blunt.

Last edited by donnyman; 06-14-2019 at 07:28 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:27 AM
FlyerInOKC

Good looking Bobcat. She will help keep the rabbits and rodents out of your garden! Just keep any domestic cats and small dogs in the house when she is around.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:45 AM
donnyman

What are these called ? They have a commanding presense.
I appreciate your responses about the cnc cutting ..now I am reconsidering the laser/router, been thinking on it for a long time, at my age I am not sure it is a good investment.

Been meaning to post this also......

Last edited by donnyman; 06-14-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:17 AM
FlyerInOKC

Short tailed hawk maybe?
Old 06-14-2019, 08:41 AM
acdii

You have bobcats, we have Bald eagles. Last saturday when we were in Iowa for the SIG flyin, my sister in law stopped by to let out the dogs, and one of the Eagles dive bombed her. There are a few nests around and about 4-6 in the area. I have never seen so many bald eagles that I have in the past couple years my entire life. I see at least 3-4 a month.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:11 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Donny those look like puffins maybe Michael
Old 06-15-2019, 04:23 PM
donnyman

Michael Those birds Look more like eagles with huge talons and a fierce beak, and it seems all the other birds give them a lot of respect. aren't puffins a Artic bird?

I just had another encounter with what appeared to be a buzzard but had a black head instead of red, it maybe a adolescent but just as ugly.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:46 PM
acdii

Turkey vultures look like that. Big ugly black birds. Have a lot of them around here.

Speaking of turkeys, did you know they can fly?
Old 06-15-2019, 09:43 PM
warningshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a Black Vulture. They are a tad bit smaller and have a shorter tail. We have both up here on the better side of the Red River.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:04 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by donnyman

What are these called ? They have a commanding presense.
I appreciate your responses about the cnc cutting ..now I am reconsidering the laser/router, been thinking on it for a long time, at my age I am not sure it is a good investment.

Been meaning to post this also......
Those are the Crested Caracara. Here's a short blurb on them:
The Crested Caracara, one of North America's most charismatic birds of prey, is common in Texas, and an isolated population lives in Florida. They stride through the grass on long legs, as they hunt for small animals of all kinds. Many Mexicans honor the caracara as their national symbol, although a Golden Eagle actually appears on the flag of Mexico. The bird was sacred to the Aztecs. And a caracara will face off against a vulture twice its size!
Old 06-16-2019, 08:18 AM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
Speaking of turkeys, did you know they can fly?
Not when they're thrown out of a helicopter.
I had a wild turkey bet me one time he could fly across the road before my Freightliner FLD crossed his path. He lost.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.