Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

How to offer guidance to a friend who thinks he has RC figured out

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How to offer guidance to a friend who thinks he has RC figured out

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 10:52 PM
Aquila1954
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's like a family member that has never flown a r/c before, he went and bought himself the Nitro Planes Pby Catalina for his first plane. I asked him who is going teach him how to fly it, he says himself. I told him no way and contact a high school friend that fly's rc warbirds. So our friend said he will, this spring. My first ever plane that I built back in the late 70's was a Top Flite P-51B, it was called the "Shangri La". Needless to say, I never flew it. I realized it was to advanced for me, instead I got into glider/sailplanes. Gentle Lady, Drifter II and Aquila. Now getting back into it again after a 25 yrs, starting with the Sig Riser 2 Meter and the Sig Riser 100.

Last edited by Aquila1954; 01-18-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:09 AM
Bolshoi
My Feedback: (2)

Suggest he begin with a simulator where he can try flying anything without the risk of crashing. This way he can figure it out for himself without getting discouraged, and will save you from having the "I told you so" conversation or worse getting unfairly blamed by your neighbor for something.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:31 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water...

Bob
Old 01-19-2015, 03:36 AM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have learned a lot. Technology can fail, humans can fail, humans die! I suspect that particular problem will be solved by technology (heated pitot tube). I have no idea why the pilots of that plane thought it was a good idea to reduce power. You can double down on technology a lot easier than humans. No, I will not turn off the tail gyro on my TRex550. Get it through your head, you wasted months learning multiplication tables that a $5 calculator can do much better. As technology improves, people need to adjust, not the other way around.

I learned to fly before the 3axis gyros, but I do not denigrate anyone who came after. In a couple of years, your argument will fade to black.

Why GPS was not integrated into the FMS (flight management system) of the Airbus, is beyond me. The systems should be fault checking itself.

Originally Posted by init4fun
Sorry , dude , but YES a gyro does , as I said , Have it's place , but if you think it's OK as a REPLACEMENT for flying skills then you obviously have learned exactly NOTHING from the French airliner that crashed into the Atlantic after the all infallible autopilot switched itself OFF and the man in the pilot seat hadn't the skills to safely manually pilot the aircraft . !!!!!

Last edited by on_your_six; 01-19-2015 at 03:39 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:48 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

I do not scorn Gyro use in things like rotorcraft or other essential operations (I think I'd have a Gyro in my FPV , If I had one) but think the good ol regular RC monoplane (or Biplane) can get along just fine without it .......
Originally Posted by on_your_six
No, I will not turn off the tail gyro on my TRex550.

Bill , The two quotes I have presented here should clear up any mistaken notions on your part as to exactly where I stand on Gyro use .

Now , I see that you want to read my post as being 100% anti automatic flight control , and nothing could be further from the truth . What I am against is the use of such device as a crutch after the initial learning curve has passed for fixed wing piloting . For rotorcraft or FPV you bet I'd have such devices since there is usually some mission other than flying assigned to those operations (photography , for ex.) . As a matter of fact , I have nothing whatsoever against and in fact admire the technology that allows fully automated flight , but when you come right down to it that is not the hobby I'm involved in , which relies on my piloting the craft using control inputs that are 100% mine , and not generated by a machine . Every movement of the stick represents a control surface movement with no computer logic deciding if that's really truly surely the input I intended to make and then making it's own corrections in spite of my actions . That's not flying or piloting anything at all at that point , it has become "asking" the computer to take the aircraft where you want it to go . Sure , may be fun . I'll bet it is . But it 100% is not "flying" in the traditional "Piloting an R/C model plane" way , which is what my interest in the hobby encompasses .

I have now said my piece , I know there are others who both agree and disagree with my view , I just hope everyone enjoys what ever hobby they like , be it flying a model aircraft , or , programming a model aircraft to fly .......

Last edited by init4fun; 01-19-2015 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:47 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

It sounds like the neighbor is going to get some experience. Which is not a bad thing...even if he crashes a plane(hopefully thats all that gets crashed)...

What is a bad and sad thing is that it sounds like the neighbor is oblivious in many way, and won't have the ability to recognize his experience he's about to get. If he had that ability to recognize experience, he would/could appreciate what you're trying to do, and that it takes time and dedication to learn the art of flying these things.

I might call this the "trees for the forest" syndrome... oh well.. If he's a nice guy in many ways.. focus on that, and go fly.

It somewhat reminds of a guy that was in our club years ago, and actually asked for ALOT of help.. His thing was though.. thats all he did was ask.. and after 30 seconds of instruction and trying to share/teach him, he was an expert... on everything you just tried to say and couldn't..... We all know where that goes... yep.. he'd come and ask for more help, as he could never let anyone even finish a sentence... very frustrating trying to help someone like that.... I just got to the point I'd just say "I don't know..".... which isn't really like me... but I got tired of wasting my time and his.. I had planes to fly, and he had planes to break.. He wasn't exactly the nicest guy either.. always butting into everyones biz... very nosey.. .. haha.. oh well...
Old 01-19-2015, 03:33 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by porcia83
Hard to tell what is the best line.

"it will go 100 miles per hour". "oh god, where is that lipo now" "bring a bag to the field".....

Thanks for the morning laugh!
You're welcome, my favourite lines are "I don't want to fly a high wing plane they look dumb... my jet is bad ass!"
Old 01-19-2015, 03:46 PM
D400webb

As someone who teaches for a living, I can sympathize with your desire (and frustration) to help someone who seems oblivious to the concept of learning. I think the important thing here though is something you seem to have realized already, and that's that this is more about you, than your neighbor.

Accepting this, you may also have to eventually accept that some people, while the extreme exception rather than the rule, are simply beyond reasonable help. It doesn't have to be an intelligence thing either, it could be behavioural or social. Perhaps your neighbor just wants to have something you two can talk about. Maybe he'd just like to hang out (with a plane of his own) at the flying field. He may not be terribly interested in the actual flying. Then again, if he really is interested in flying, it could be that he doesn't want to feel like he'd be treated like a child who has to have training wheels on his bike while he's hangin' with the "big boys". There can be all sorts of different things getting in the way of this guy's success.

In cases like these, where one doesn't even know for sure what the real issue is, it's often a good idea to merely treat the 'student' with the respect they deserve, and let them flail about for a bit. The process may give you opportunity to observe and figure out when and how to best offer some help. Just don't forget that some folks have to learn some things the hard way, and there's likely nothing you can do about that.

If you find that you simply can't accept that your neighbor may be 'un-teachable', an approach you may find helpful is to invite him along while you fly a very docile trainer (either your own, or borrow one from a friend or a club; maybe you might say that you'd been asked to test fly it and adjust the trims for someone). Of course you don't have to let him know the whole thing is for his benefit, or even suggest at first that you're inviting him along to fly. But once the plane is flying you could offer to let him fly it, since you just happen to have a buddy box nearby. Make sure the plane is a few mistakes high, slow and stable, and nobody else around, and let him give it a try. Then, unless it's a complete rodeo, take up something much more advanced, and repeat. He'll see quite quickly how much of a difference an airframe can make.

And of course if this doesn't have any effect on him, at least you gave it a sincere effort; even professional teachers can't reach everyone.
Old 01-20-2015, 10:50 AM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

That's pretty much where I am, D400webb. I've given him the information he needs, so it's up to him. If he wastes his money he's a big boy and it's his to waste. If he asks for help again I'll give it, but I won't push it on him. The way I have this guy sized up, he's just looking for a toy. I see a lot of new pilots my age and younger who think of it that way; they don't want a hobby they have to work at, they want a toy to take out and have fun with. And I think a considerable part of it isn't really even about the plane as much as it is about him wanting to have something in common with me. So it's not an attempt to learn to fly as much as an attempt to impress me that he's taking an interest in something I care about. If that's the case, I'd much rather he had chosen church than RC, but I guess I can't be choosy! As for worrying about that poor F14, I have to step back and remember that while I care about my hobby very much, this is a tiny concern in the grand scheme of his life and our friendship.
Old 01-21-2015, 04:44 AM
on_your_six

I like to think that I am forward looking... and not picking on you or anyone specifically. Everyone of us knows that knowing how to do something manually is usually the best and most rewarding method. Some would say the "good old days, are right now". When someone chooses a path other than my own, so what? As good as the electronics are today, and the limited amount of time someone has for the hobby, why not let them enjoy it the best they can?

You say "that's not the hobby I'm involved in", that is fine and I respect you flying the way you choose to do. I like the electronics and would pack the aircraft full of them (just look at my hexcopter). That is the way that I enjoy the hobby. I think that it is more difficult to fly a fully autonomous flight than many think. Many things to learn and do correctly. People look over my shoulder and see, oh how easy. Well it didn't get figured out without learning a lot about the systems. Then along comes Joe and he bought it RTF. If he can demonstrate safe operation, I am jealous as all get out.

I will support the "gyro" boys (as well as the stick and rudder) in their flights and forget all the arguments about assisted flight. Most younger guys can fly right out of the box due to a lot of game experience. Lets use every feature that helps a new pilot possible. The ONLY thing that counts is SAFETY.

Bill , The two quotes I have presented here should clear up any mistaken notions on your part as to exactly where I stand on Gyro use .

Now , I see that you want to read my post as being 100% anti automatic flight control , and nothing could be further from the truth . What I am against is the use of such device as a crutch after the initial learning curve has passed for fixed wing piloting . For rotorcraft or FPV you bet I'd have such devices since there is usually some mission other than flying assigned to those operations (photography , for ex.) . As a matter of fact , I have nothing whatsoever against and in fact admire the technology that allows fully automated flight , but when you come right down to it that is not the hobby I'm involved in , which relies on my piloting the craft using control inputs that are 100% mine , and not generated by a machine . Every movement of the stick represents a control surface movement with no computer logic deciding if that's really truly surely the input I intended to make and then making it's own corrections in spite of my actions . That's not flying or piloting anything at all at that point , it has become "asking" the computer to take the aircraft where you want it to go . Sure , may be fun . I'll bet it is . But it 100% is not "flying" in the traditional "Piloting an R/C model plane" way , which is what my interest in the hobby encompasses .

I have now said my piece , I know there are others who both agree and disagree with my view , I just hope everyone enjoys what ever hobby they like , be it flying a model aircraft , or , programming a model aircraft to fly .......
Old 01-21-2015, 05:56 AM
jester_s1

I agree that the good old days are now. Some of the older pilots like to disparage the technology that makes the hobby easier to do, but our hobby has always been about innovation and continual improvement. Actually, this is probably the first time in its history that the aeromodeling community even talks about tradition. Back in the golden years of the 1970's, they would have used 2.4ghz computerized radios if they had had them. They would have built with Depron and used lipos. I'd love to be able to see what a genius like Joe Bridi could have with carbon fiber and counter rotating props!

As a community, if we keep looking backwards we will decline. The hot talk among clubs and the AMA leadership is the problem of the rising median age of aeromodelers and how we can get the young people involved. The answer is to embrace the version of RC flight that interests them. Just as control line gave way to proportional RC, FPV and autonomous "drone" flight may well become the next paradigm in the hobby. IMAC, pylon racing, and tradition RC flight will stay around for a good long time, but we'd be very foolish to push away these new technologies that are bringing in young people for the first time in a long time.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:07 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I disagree with your post because of hobby has been hijacked. The intent and still rings true is the emulation of a full scale aircraft in flight. I'll give you an example to prove my point. Which would generate the most interest at your local club a 1/4 scale J3 Cub or a tiny park yard foamy?

As a community, if we keep looking backwards we will decline. The hot talk among clubs and the AMA leadership is the problem of the rising median age of aeromodelers and how we can get the young people involved. The answer is to embrace the version of RC flight that interests them. Just as control line gave way to proportional RC, FPV and autonomous "drone" flight may well become the next paradigm in the hobby. IMAC, pylon racing, and tradition RC flight will stay around for a good long time, but we'd be very foolish to push away these new technologies that are bringing in young people for the first time in a long time.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by flycatch; 01-21-2015 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:06 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flycatch
I disagree with your post because of hobby has been hijacked. The intent and still rings true is the emulation of a full scale aircraft in flight. I'll give you an example to prove my point. Which would generate the most interest at your local club a 1/4 scale J3 Cub or a tiny park yard foamy?

As a community, if we keep looking backwards we will decline. The hot talk among clubs and the AMA leadership is the problem of the rising median age of aeromodelers and how we can get the young people involved. The answer is to embrace the version of RC flight that interests them. Just as control line gave way to proportional RC, FPV and autonomous "drone" flight may well become the next paradigm in the hobby. IMAC, pylon racing, and tradition RC flight will stay around for a good long time, but we'd be very foolish to push away these new technologies that are bringing in young people for the first time in a long time.
[/QUOTE]
Who hijacked the hobby? When did that happen?

The good old days are just that...old. There are current good days, and will be future good days too.

As for your example, that really doesn't show one thing or another. To many variables. Who would be looking? What's the make up of the club. Do tiny park yard foamies normally fly at the field? The guys who like scratch building scale planes and flying a pattern probably prefer the cub. Then again, the others might too.

As long as the club is full of people flying what they like, and are having a good time, does it matter?
Old 01-21-2015, 02:05 PM
on_your_six

So getting back on topic... if that were my friend, I would take him out to the field and borrow or beg a flight on a trainer and buddy box with/for him. I think that you could quickly show him that he needs to slow down and learn the way everyone else does. I love showing military heli pilots the RC simulator... even those guys crash a bit at first, but they come around. As I tell them, it is a skill that is learned and why not take advantage of someone helping you learn the steps? Every guy that flies or wants to fly is self confident and knows it all (same with me). We need to just harness that energy and turn it into success before the guy walks away discouraged with a lot of crashes.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:39 AM
jester_s1

I'm with you, on your six. My club starts up training night when DST begins, so I'll mention that and invite him. He probably won't come, but the door will be open anyway. The sim could work; I'll toss the idea out for him to come over when he has some time and work on mine a bit. That will probably be an eye opener by itself.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:47 AM
jester_s1

And on the "hijacked" comment, that's exactly the mentality that is keeping younger people out of the hobby. They show up genuinely interested in flying and like the foamies and the multirotors, and experienced club members disparage them and push them away. No one is hijacking the hobby; the hobby is simply evolving as any activity does. I used to hear golfers gripe about the high tech woods and titanium drivers that were ruining the sport. I heard USPSA shooters go on and on about the red dot sights and compensators on pistols that ruined the original intent of the sport. Many car enthusiasts hate traction control and anti lock brakes because those aren't found on a "true sports car." I knew fishermen growing up who wouldn't use lures because a proper fisherman only used live bait. And I could continue. The point though is that in any activity, innovation and development happens. The previous generation took a lot of pride in their workmanship, while the current generation is more interested in their flying. It's not better or worse, just different. Life is very hard for those who can't handle different, so I'm choosing to embrace the changes and enjoy what's out there. To that end, I have my detailed scale Cub which I love to fly, and I also have my foamy UM planes which are a hoot as well. There's room in the hobby for both as long as the clubs aren't full of jerks who can't tolerate anything new.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:52 AM
topspin

That's a strange attitude for someone who has never flown. I would offer him your support by going with him to maiden whatever he gets and bring a hefty bag along. After the inevitable crash tell him you will be happy to help him find a more suitable airplane and you will also help him learn to fly.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:31 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Its the Video game mentality,
My Son and his freinds were the same way the few times we went flying, they thought they could "just fly", I said no no you need to learn, first time on the buddy box and I was saving the plane every 5 seconds.

I'd give your neighbor only last offer, Have him fly on the buddy box to give it a try, if he declines what can you do,, let him learn the hard way
Old 01-23-2015, 06:54 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I believe this is a far more common situation that many just do not realize and I think we have lost more folks unknowingly to this 'Right Stuff' syndrome.

No one is born knowing how to fly the type of aircraft that we are talking about and of course we all know there must be a learning curve. It is that learning curve or any evidence of it that folks with this attitude would do anything to avod. We have all seen the brand new folks who would rather cut off a leg than be seen with a: trainer airplane, instructor/mentor, buddy cord.

Well there is a way to eliminate that 'buddy cord' its called the cordless buddy cord and avalible as an optional plug in for certain Futabas and is included with all the versions of the inexpensive Tactic systems I even now use an inexpensive homemade unit for certain of the Hitec radios. The use of these cordless systems absolutey has a direct affect on most students but really shines on those who have the 'right stiff' syndrome and helps get them through all that initial silliness.

When these system first came out the were ridiculed by the instructor community but what a mistake that is. The four of use at our local field only use cordless systems and would never go back to being hardwired.

I believe Jester that this could very much be of benefit to you with this individual. If you want more reading search right here in the beginners forum to the thread "its been a long time coming"

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 01-23-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:22 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Its the Video game mentality,
My Son and his freinds were the same way the few times we went flying, they thought they could "just fly", I said no no you need to learn, first time on the buddy box and I was saving the plane every 5 seconds.
At least they were trying.. I did the same with a girlfriend's 14 year old son a few years ago flying a Radian Glider with two DX6is buddy boxed. He actually flew it very well for about 2 minutes then got bored and deliberately tried to crash it into a tree with full down elevator..

I took over, landed, packed up and that was the end of his RC career.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:44 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Rob, sadly it was about the same. although they didn't try to crash it, after a few minutes of failing to master it instantly they lost interest., after 5-6 times asking if they want to come out again, I sold the trainer.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:26 AM
jester_s1

So many who take an interest in this hobby are just looking for instant fun. They are the people who never get good at anything because they won't work at it. Scale is probably right that video games have helped foster that, but I don't really think they are to blame. They have simply been there for those people who want a no consequences/no effort feeling of achievement. In previous generations, a lazy attitude brought with it the agony of failure. That probably didn't do much to change the character of people but it at least revealed it. The fact that planes had to be built 25 years ago weeded out that instant fun crowd from this hobby before they ever got to the flying field.

Since we're sharing stories now, I'll tell you guys about my most hated trainee from a couple of years ago. Young guy about 20 years old is at the field with his dad, younger brother, and a couple of (I assumed) cousins. They have 4 new looking foam airplanes of various types and sizes. Dad probably spent $1000 total on all of it, probably in a single trip to the hobby shop or maybe over a couple of weeks' time. 20 year old heads for the flight line on training night and tells the instructors he already knows how to fly. He's on a foam Cessna, and does a very sloppy gun and jerk takeoff and a few bank and yank turns before bouncing it to a stop (miraculously) on the runway. And he's all excited like he really accomplished something. So I walked up and said, "Can I give you some pointers on flying your Cessna better?" And he grunts, "Huh?" So I tell him he was sideslipping his plane and went into a spin several times during his flight. I don't even finish the sentence until he says, "Whas at?" As I start to explain the concept and the nature of stalls in general, he guns the throttle on the Cessna, yanks it way too soon, and spins it into the concrete. So I, never being one to pass up a teachable moment, said, "That's a sideslip right there."
Kid starts laughing, runs to gather up the pieces of his plane, then runs up to his dad with it and says very excitedly, "Did you see that!? I wrecked that plane right in the middle of the runway!" And dad is smiling too in a way that told me he's given up on raising a productive member of society so he might as well let the boy have fun. Then the 20 year old proceeds to show me the 3 other planes he's already destroyed today and going on and on about how much fun he's had. I can't even fathom what goes on in the mind of someone like that who actually thinks it's fun to be incompetent and ruin things. Needless to say, this family didn't become a regular part of our club due to to cost prohibitive nature of the son's flying style. I figured it was an attempt by dad to get him off of the X box for a few hours and have him learn some discipline so maybe he's get a job and his own place. But the joke was on him; that kid will be living at home until he's 40, and dad is $1000 poorer for the effort.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:45 AM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Rob, sadly it was about the same. although they didn't try to crash it, after a few minutes of failing to master it instantly they lost interest., after 5-6 times asking if they want to come out again, I sold the trainer.
I know exactly what you mean. I tried to get my nephews interested in the hobby and even built them a "Star Wars" style drone complete with Lego Pilots.

They watched it fly for 2 minutes before disappearing back inside to play Lego Star Wars on the Playstation.

The real world is no match for their virtual world it seems.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	759.6 KB
ID:	2067147  

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-24-2015 at 02:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:01 AM
jester_s1

That's what parents get for buying Playstations for their kids. They spend $600 on the game plus $50 each on the CDs, then complain that that's all their kids want to do. Video games are designed to be addictive and grant instant gratification. I see no value whatsoever in them for kids' development.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:54 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jester_s1
That's what parents get for buying Playstations for their kids. They spend $600 on the game plus $50 each on the CDs, then complain that that's all their kids want to do. Video games are designed to be addictive and grant instant gratification. I see no value whatsoever in them for kids' development.
http://www.allaboutvision.com/cvs/ch...n-syndrome.htm

A very good reason to get kids into RC flying.

fliers1
[h=1][/h]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.