Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

geotex runway

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:00 PM
ejwelfare

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default geotex runway

My club has installed a geotex runway. I read some time ago (this has been a 3 year project) about being careful about the paint used to paint stripes etc on because some paint will eat the fabric. I can't find that site nor any mention of that anywhere. Can anyone tell me what kind of paint is recommended to paint the fabric that won't damage the fabric?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:54 PM
Hossfly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ejwelfare
My club has installed a geotex runway. I read some time ago (this has been a 3 year project) about being careful about the paint used to paint stripes etc on because some paint will eat the fabric. I can't find that site nor any mention of that anywhere. Can anyone tell me what kind of paint is recommended to paint the fabric that won't damage the fabric?
I cannot tell you the paint, but I know several clubs that have done that and I have heard no complaints. My main club had the opportunity to do so. I offered to pay the bill. But there are always those that "...love the grass...". Yet I have never found one of those to volunteer to mow the grass.
One friend was against his club doing so. He was afraid he couldn't land well on the runway. Shortly after I saw this fellow, and he was quick to admit being very much wrong.
He stated to me that his flying improved so much he found it difficult to understand. Mainly his take-offs were straight and his landings soon found the center-line right down the runway until it stopped. BTW he flew small models and big models.
I find it difficult to understand those that are against Geotex when it is so great for flying. There are some flaws, but those that use it like it. Hope you find your paint.
I think a good white-wash would work, maybe a re-coat ever so often, but sounds better than mowing every few days. Most that I have seen do not even use a center stripe, yet that should be better looking. Best of LUCK!
By the way I have flown on that field and I am willing to pay for my club to PUT 'ER DOWN, but they have their ways. Big club too. www.jetero.com

Last edited by Hossfly; 02-05-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:11 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Typically it's roofing cement that's used on these to secure the seems, prior to putting the pins in. I visited this club last year prior to one of their events;

http://www.franklinrc.com/

I didn't call the "x" when I flew on it, but it's there. Click on the link there and it will take you to the supplier of the material. They might be able to tell you what will be safe. I'm betting latex, but then again I think RC people are the only ones using it this way, it was made for construction applications.

The manf also has links to many clubs across the country who have this at their field. You may want to reach out to them as well.

I liked flying off it, but not the best for edf. All the little stones pop through and can wreak havoc on the fan systems.

Good luck, hope that helps.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:18 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

The best thing to do is call the manufacturer

good luck
Old 02-06-2015, 09:36 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.usfabricsinc.com/products...raftgeotextile
Old 05-26-2015, 08:21 AM
chistech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My club, Bristol Country Radio Control Club has just purchased this material and we will be putting it down on a no longer used cranberry bog. Once it's resurfaced and rolled we will be using 12" staples because of the sand base. To make the 12" staple installation easier I made up these tools. They are basically standing height and will make putting in the staples a breeze. I made a couple shorter ones to use when first holding the starting edge down. They are designed to be used in the kneeling position. I didn't take a picture of the shorter ones. The pictures show the staples in the end ready to insert.

Square 1" tubing, round tubing that just fits inside, and piece of EMT for top handle. I have a vertical miller so I ran a slot down the tubing and welded a guide/keeper bolt/nut onto the square tubing. If shorter staples were used a second nut could be welded further down the tubing and a second keeper bolt inserted. The two bolts would make the stroke shorter and also keep the tubing from pushing past the square tubing going too deep with the staple.

I will post some pictures once we are done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150518-01451.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	2098749   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150519-01456.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	2098750   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20150519-01457.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	2098751  
Old 05-26-2015, 03:20 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

We are on our second runway. We painted them both with stripes. We just bought the parking lot stripe paint at Ace. They let us borrow their machine that rolls along and you squeeze the handle to release the paint. It has not effected our material at all. If anything the paint protected the material from the sun. UV is your biggest enemy on this stuff. I should also say we replaced our first runway because of erosion under it. The material holds up fine. Matter of fact RCKen took our old stuff to his field and his club installed it. It's 15 years old now and still holding up.

Someone mentioned seaming it above. We overlapped our seems 12". I would not try and glue the material together. Just tack it down ever 2' then after you overlap drive a staple every 2-3". For some reason putting patches on this stuff is hit or miss on if they stick. I fear the seam would be the same. Plus the shrink factor. When you put it down the first day it will have 2,3 & even 4" wrinkles and ripples. Two days later it will be tight as a drum. This will be a constant pull on the seam. IF you don't get a good overlap it will gap between the staples when it stretches.

David