Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Bogus posts

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 06:50 PM
JMCHASE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogus posts

Seems like the forum is being infested with spam posts. Was wondering why the moderators are allowing this to continue?
Old 04-17-2015, 04:52 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The spam guys out number the Mods. We get them when we see them. You can also report the post which assists us in getting them removed quicker. Thanks Dave
Old 04-17-2015, 05:38 AM
JMCHASE

I was told that if you tap the little black triangle on lower left of post it creates a reply to the moderators indicating a troubling post.
this technique should become a stickey for all to become aware so others can help get on top of this anoying problem.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:22 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

What I think we really need is more moderators. If they outnumber you, gather more soldiers!
Old 04-27-2015, 04:01 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Spring cleaning at rcu !!!!!

Originally Posted by DavidAgar
The spam guys out number the Mods. We get them when we see them. You can also report the post which assists us in getting them removed quicker. Thanks Dave
Ok David , here's my contribution to eliminating the spam deluge that RCU is afflicted with . I just spent 1/2 hour scanning posts and reporting the most obvious spam . My reports all say "spam" in their comments (some may even say "spam spam spamity spam" or other some such , but you get the idea) , and in only 1/2 hour's time I was able to identify 20 or more spam posts going back as far as one month ago .

Now , if you make those disappear in a timely fashion , I may just spend ANOTHER 1/2 hour and find ya some more ..... Course , if the ones I reported AREN'T eliminated within a few days , I'll know that no one really gives a hoot , and I'll find more productive ways to spend my 1/2 hour .
Old 04-28-2015, 04:10 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Thank You !!!

Yesterday I reported about 20 of the sports link spam posts , and today they're all gone . Quick work by whichever Moderator took care of them , I appreciate that , and next time I have a free 1/2 hour I'll try to find ya some more
Old 04-28-2015, 10:11 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not as blatant, but likely spam at some point, or at least a bot

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/members/issmeihede.html

5 random posts, all repeats of what another member said earlier but not quoted. A new member to many online forums, all with the same M.O.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:17 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
not as blatant, but likely spam at some point, or at least a bot

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/members/issmeihede.html

5 random posts, all repeats of what another member said earlier but not quoted. A new member to many online forums, all with the same M.O.
I've nuked the spam posts from this spammer as well as showing him the back door of RCU.

Ken
Old 04-28-2015, 12:48 PM
porcia83
Banned

Don't let the door hitcha...where the good lord split ya!

The spam gets deleted quick for sure, but they always find a way back in. I guess they go to one or two areas in general but I've never seen an issue with it here, a good job done by all.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:15 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
Don't let the door hitcha...where the good lord split ya!

The spam gets deleted quick for sure, but they always find a way back in. I guess they go to one or two areas in general but I've never seen an issue with it here, a good job done by all.
I love using vBulletin over the old system that we had RCU on before the sale. There are so many tools that I have now that make it quick and easier for me to deal with these spammers than it did before. For instance, in this issue all I have to do is pull the profile of the spammer and click "select all" on his posts. Then click "delete as spam". Then when the delete page comes up it gives me the option to also ban the user as well. So in 3 easy steps I've cleaned off all the spam and banned the spammer at the same time. Under the system that would have been at least a good half dozen steps. Also, I have more tools for tracking down and banning their IP address ranges, which keeps them out for a short time until they switch to new IP address. They keep trying and I'll keep working my best to keep em out. I'm always playing catch up, but it's the nature of the beast of my job. But I do it for you guys so I don't mind doing it.

Ken
Old 04-29-2015, 03:54 AM
porcia83
Banned

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/members/amy2015.html
Old 04-29-2015, 04:36 AM
JMCHASE

Nice catch
Old 04-30-2015, 05:10 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by JMCHASE
Nice catch
This one wasn't hard to spot. Every post is about that battery line she/they represent. They did the same thing over at Wattflyer, wanted to promote their battery for car racing. At Wattflyer. Even after pointing out the obvious, they kept trying. I believe they were finally banned.

I get wanting to promote a company, but so far the attempts to do so have not exactly been successful. Going into multiple threads and/or starting multiple threads about the product all over the place, and then not following through on promises ain't the best way to go. I think it's only fair for them to either pay for an upgraded membership, or better yet buy a sponsorship/ad on the site and then do some promotion. I reported it as spam the other day, I think that's all we (members) can do.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:41 PM
porcia83
Banned

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/sear...archid=3288778

Still plugging away with spam, got booted off of RCG and Wattflyer, been reported here but no action. Went to report it to the community mod for that forum, they haven't logged in since January of 2014. I don't see how their posts aren't considered spam. At least make have some good prices!