Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Good Location for Retirement and R/C????

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Good Location for Retirement and R/C????

Old 04-21-2015, 06:39 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickydee1354
My wife and I have been looking at Texas. She has family there and we have visited 4-5 times over the last few years. Central Texas, (Hill Country), seems to be pretty decent weather wise and the cost of living is less than here in Southern California. The area between Austin and San Antonio is pretty nice and I know there are large clubs in both those towns. Also, no state sales tax and in general, the cost of living is pretty reasonable.

I love the weather here in Southern California. Other than that, things are starting to suck in my specific area. Crime is getting bad too. Two police shootings here in the last week. In the first one, two carjackers shot at a deputy with an assault rifle when he tried to pull them over. The deputy is ok and the bad guys were taken into custody a few days later.

In the second case, a deputy and a CHP officer on a gang task force stopped a gang member across the street from my church. The gang member came out of the car shooting and the deputy and CHP officer returned fire and killed him. Thank God the good guys are ok.

Make sure you check the crime statistics before you jump to a new location!
Micky:

The Texas hill country is a great place! The summers are a bit warm but this is one area that LONG winters are a good thing as they are very pleasant in the Hill Country. Be sure to check out the Marble Falls area, beautiful lake, nice housing, great golf and an active RC club last time I was there.

By the way Texas does have a Sales Tax but no State Income Tax and no state taxes on Social Security income to my knowledge. Coming from California you are going to LOVE the cost of living in Texas.

Bring your guns if you have em cause we like to shoot!
Old 04-21-2015, 07:01 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell it all buy a motor home and move when the weather changes. I would have 2 small places with airplanes stored at each one, that way I would not get bored with where I live or what I fly. My choices would be NH or ME in the summer and maybe GA or SC in winter. You will always have politics as long as you have politicians.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:45 AM
RickVB
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by radfordc
I hear you have 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad sledding.
Actually, no, we have two seasons: Winter, and road construction.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:56 AM
bafflerback
My Feedback: (6)

My daughter lives in Tucson AZ. I've been out there to see her a lot. There are 3 local hobby shops in the area the best being Hobby Barn owned by Bill Hemple's family. The 2 flying fields I've been to were great and wide open. The only problem is the heat in the summer. The guys I talked to say that in June, July and August they hit the field as early as 6AM and are home by noon. Then they come back out in the evening. Lot's of luck in your search. I've got the same idea.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:31 PM
HORNET FLYER
My Feedback: (6)

Rchouston.com

Houston area is hot spot with 25+ clubs

An event every weekend and bayou city flyers is very active with all different types of planes!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:14 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bafflerback
My daughter lives in Tucson AZ. I've been out there to see her a lot. There are 3 local hobby shops in the area the best being Hobby Barn owned by Bill Hemple's family. The 2 flying fields I've been to were great and wide open. The only problem is the heat in the summer. The guys I talked to say that in June, July and August they hit the field as early as 6AM and are home by noon. Then they come back out in the evening. Lot's of luck in your search. I've got the same idea.
Tuscon was another spot on my list of possibles. The heat I can handle. We have to do the same here in the summer. Fly early in the morning, or late afternoon. We actually use summer as a building season. I have lived in Lake Havasu so I know exactly what the Arizona heat is like. It sure to tough ride in the summer. The humidity here kills you except when riding, then it's like A/C.
Great stuff, keep it coming. I still have at least a year, maybe 18 months before I make a decision.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:13 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Raptureboy has the right idea. It's easier if you don't limit yourself to one place. Instead think of one place in the summer and another in the winter, or sell everything and live the life of a nomad in an RV following the sun.

The problem is will the wife go for it?

In my case it all comes down to how much money is in the bank on the day I decide "enough is enough". Lots of money = 2 houses, not as much money = 1 house in a nice place, epic financial fail = motorhome and no house!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:23 PM
Duffy004

Check out fort clark springs Texas, 5,000ft private grass airstrip, shared with 5 other aircraft. No problem flying rc at any time. 18hole golf course, pool, in expensive living.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:57 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 049flyer
Lots of money = 2 houses, not as much money = 1 house in a nice place, epic financial fail = motorhome and no house!
Ha, now that was a chuckle, I like your thinking.

JQ
Old 04-24-2015, 05:55 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have lived in six different states - from Maryland to (now) Arizona....and all of them had many good points for flying R/C, and some bad points (mostly weather).....but I liked northern Alabama a lot (very short winters) but I'm sold on Phoenix area....maybe a bit further north (not too close to Flagstaff - it gets cold / windy up there!).......and yes it gets hot here but like it was said...fly 6AM and call it a day by noon.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:35 PM
DOC
My Feedback: (57)

Let's see ; 750' paved runway, NO altitude restrictions, Jets welcome, Scale Warbird & T-28 racing, Year round flying, ~36 -12V charging outlets, 340 Days of Sunshine, Clean air............ I think I'll stop Looking !
Check out our award winning News Letter on the website . < www.chinovalleymodelaviators.org >

Last edited by DOC; 04-24-2015 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:41 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DOC
Let's see ; 750' paved runway, NO altitude restrictions, Jets welcome, Scale Warbird & T-28 racing, Year round flying, ~36 -12V charging outlets, 340 Days of Sunshine, Clean air............ I think I'll stop Looking !
Check out our award winning News Letter on the website . < www.chinovalleymodelaviators.org >
Now, that looks interesting. Looks like similar climate to Albuquerque, just a bit cooler in summer. Nice looking field as well, and I know there is some good riding in that part of Az. And I just love the Havasu/Parker/Bullhead area, which is not too far away.