Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

How many hobbies?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 04:16 PM
JMCHASE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many hobbies?

Im guilty of having multiple hobbies. I build and fly RC. I carve wood mostly detailed figures like old world Santa Claus figures. Im working on building a scale stagecoach, be about two feet long and ten inches tall and i tool leather i started that back in college my roommate was taking industrial arts and built a saddle in our apartment he got me hooked on leather. So i was wondering what other RCr's may have the same affliction.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:52 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not hooked on leather (), but I suspect I'm like others in this hobby who also indulge in other things that break up the monotony of life. Not sure if watching countless kids soccer games would count, if so, that's one. Another is what I call urban/suburban archeology. Turns out that's pretty popular now with tons of shows on the topic.

My parents and grandparents were always into re-purposing perfectly good things found in garbages, tag sales, Goodwills etc and passed that down to me. Didn't really matter what it was, we either fixed it up and flipped it, or just flipped as is. Same with estate sales, auctions etc. I got into selling vintage clothing sales and through that, found someone looking to get rid of some hats from the 20's. When I went to his place to see the hats, I ended up buying the contents of 6 apartments that had been lived in and abandoned over 70 years. It was like a time capsule had been opened, an amazing collection of stuff. It took me 4 years to sell it all at estate sales and online. It was another 10 years before I found something similar. A house that sat empty for 30 years, and all the while slowly decayed. I was allowed to go through the place for one month, but could only do so after work hours, and in daylight, so not much time. I've attached some pics of what some of the rooms looked like.

Oddly enough, both places ended up being lived in my hoarders (before it was really called that), and in both instances I got to go through less than 10% of what was in the house. Both had issues with black mold, vermin of all type, and in some instances, utter filth.

Ultimately both lead to some amazing buried treasures, literally. From actual gold and silver coins, to artwork, first edition books, collectibles, and antique tools, to even unopened boxes of vintage Kotex pads (and yes, I was able to sell those for good money too). I never would have thought some of the stuff had such value. Investigating all the stuff I had collected was a real eyeopener for me, I can't imagine how long it would have taken to understand what I had, and the value of it, without the internet!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1679 (1).JPG
Views:	132
Size:	4.87 MB
ID:	2090601   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1682 (1).JPG
Views:	150
Size:	4.42 MB
ID:	2090602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1686.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	4.70 MB
ID:	2090603   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1688 (1).JPG
Views:	120
Size:	4.37 MB
ID:	2090604  
Old 04-20-2015, 07:03 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Let's see....model airplanes, full size planes (replica WW I Eindecker currently), model machines (steam, glow, gas engines), and duck hunting in the winter.
Old 04-20-2015, 07:14 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

RC & CL planes, our horses, scrollsaw fretwork, photography (with real film, B&W + color), travel.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:25 PM
nfichaomc

I never would have thought some of the stuff had such value.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:53 PM
krazypara3165

I'm terrible with hobbies....

RC Helicopters,
Running,
Snowboarding,
Fishing,
Building gaming computers,
Brewing beer and wines from scratch,
Refurbishing old bar equipment
Breeding Discus
Downhill mountain biking

......there's probably a few more too that I have not thought about!
Old 04-21-2015, 06:21 AM
JMCHASE

I forgot to add, i started out flying in 1969 one of my college buddies was a member of CAP he got me involved and started giving lessons in a Texan t6 the group used. He went on to fly with United i downgraded to Pipers and Cessnas. I also collect old west guns and am an avid history buff espically the period in the US from 1800-1900 also hooked on Louis Lamour and William w Johnstone authors.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:14 AM
sturmovik60

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

R/C planes and military plastic models and figure painting.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:32 PM
STUKA BARRY

Obviously giant rc warbirds are my passion, my life actually. I will be the Walking Dead if Uncle Sam ever takes away my freedom to fly rc. I also enjoy my award winning Harley-Davidson whether its just pleasure riding or at a bike show. I also enjoy driving and racing my 1986 Porsche 951. I use to be an avid boater and water skier back in the late 70's 80's and 90's. I luv saltwater fishing, but being 4hrs. from the beaches, I'm lucky to get to fish twice a year if that much. I'm an A&P certified technician and enjoy working on Boeing and Douglas jumbo jet aircraft, but that's my bread and butter so I guess that doesn't really count.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:38 PM
takEon

R/C Planes, hunting, skeet, fishing, sand rail and baja. I know too many!
Old 04-21-2015, 05:51 PM
littlera

International traveling. 80 countries so far.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Rob2160

RC and model trains - sometimes both at the same time.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:14 PM
topspin

RC of course, ham radio, and mostly turning old rusty cars into not as rusty old cars with bigger engines and worse gas mileage.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:39 AM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

RC aircraft, of course, as well as...

I have a Private Pilots lisc. (Haven't gotten to fly lately, aviation addiction kept in check by frequent trips to RC flying field)
SCUBA Diving
Sand Rail
Online gaming
Collecting and shooting rifles, pistols and shot guns
Jet skiing
Snowboarding

I guess I'll stop there, as I am getting tired from just thinking about all of my hobbies.... Also, after seeing some of everyone else's hobbies, thinking I might have to add a few new ones to the list..

Craig.

Last edited by SeaJay; 04-23-2015 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:52 AM
topspin

I forgot Target shooting but I haven't done that in a while. I'm still wearing a hard shell body cast from an accident and can't shoulder my rifles or hold a pistol correctly until I can get this thing off.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:34 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

R/C airplanes - I consider this my primary hobby.

Also:
Hobby farm (17 sheep, 11 turkeys, 40+/- chickens, 8 guinea fowl). This is more lifestyle but CERTAINLY non-profit.
Gardening
Traditional bowhunting and stump shooting (recurves from the 1960's and I make my own wood arrows and feather-fletch them)
Collecting glue-on broadheads (see above - have about 160 different from the 1930's to 1970's).
Sailing (down from a 34 footer to a 17 foot trailerable sailboat)
Fly fishing
Fly tying
Flintlock muzzleloader hunting (rifle and smoothbore). I'm a moderator on a long-time website of treadiional muzzleloading.
and finally some bicycling for exercise.

Used to do a bit of homebrewing and was pretty good at it (firsts at county fair). May start that back up.

Last edited by Charlie P.; 04-24-2015 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:12 AM
Soar RC

In addition to RC planes of which 90% is soaring and soaring contests
Cooking (on gourmet level)
Woodworking
Surf Fishing
Building surf rods ( for myself)
4 x 4 off roading
Photography
Part time engineman and fireman on a steam locomotive
Live steam locomotives
Making wind chimes
Computer gaming-first person shooter
Leatherworking
Building Pennsylvania long rifles in the Beck Lebanon Co. style from scratch ( for myself)
Hand gun silhouette target shooting
Boating for fishing in the Atlantic
About a million other things
Old 04-24-2015, 09:40 AM
carlgrover

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I build furniture and collect and restore antique woodworking tools (planes, mostly). I also have two old Harleys I work on and ride. I used to fish quite a bit, fly fish, and tie my own flies but not too much anymore.

carl
Old 04-24-2015, 10:19 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
R/C airplanes - I consider this my primary hobby.

Also:
Hobby farm (17 sheep, 11 turkeys, 40+/- chickens, 8 guinea fowl). This is more lifestyle but CERTAINLY non-profit.
Gardening
Traditional bowhunting and stump shooting (recurves from the 1960's and I make my own wood arrows and feather-fletch them)
Collecting glue-on broadheads (see above - have about 160 different from the 1930's to 1970's).
Sailing (down from a 34 footer to a 17 foot trailerable sailboat)
Fly fishing
Fly tying
Flintlock muzzleloader hunting (rifle and smoothbore). I'm a moderator on a long-time website of treadiional muzzleloading.
and finally some bicycling for exercise.

Used to do a bit of homebrewing and was pretty good at it (firsts at county fair). May start that back up.
Just wondering Charlie, how does a rifled barrel flintlock stack up against a modern high velocity hunting rifle for range and accuracy?
Old 04-24-2015, 11:52 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

With my eyesight (55) - I have no problem harvesting 200 to 250 lb whitetail deer out to 75 yards with my .54 cal. I get full penetration with broadsides. On a good day at 75 yards I can put five balls in a 4" circle while sitting on the ground resting my elbows on my knees. I don't bendch shoot flintlocks - offhand or field rests. Furthest I have ever attempted hunting was at 120 yards on a bedded buck and I had all the time in the world to prepare. I got into a sitting position resting my elbows on a stump. He never stood up.

The barrel is 44" long so it has great sight radius. When I was 25 and shooting a lot we used to use flintlocks on woodchucks out to 150 yards - .50 caliber round ball. That's a 175 gr ball that starts out at around 1,900 fps. But being ballistically dismal that shed speed (and energy) rapidly.

For S4!=$ and giggles we have several guys who get together occasionally to shoot old cookware are ranges out to 250 yards. That's about a three foot hold-over. For hunting it would be irresponsible, but if it was a Redcoat most of the guys in my group could have made life pretty miserable for the enemy. And, of course, it's always easy when you're not under live fire yourself.

But I'll put it this way - the flintlock rifle is 10x easier to hunt with than still-hunting with a sightless recurve bow. I put a piece of waxed leather over the lock for when it's drizzly or showing and it works well in damp conditions IF you are careful.

I have taken two deer with a centerfire rifle. Both while I was sitting on a stump and both under 15 yards. (Can't use a rifle where I live - slug shotgun or muzzleloader, and I don't personally see much attraction to the telescopic sight, fiberglass stock muzzleloaders). I've taken around 25 deer with the flintlocks (the fowler throws a 1 ounce round ball through a deer at 60 yards right to point of aim) and I actually prefer that to the rifle as I hunt dense cover. Weighs seven pounds and has a 42" barrel. Handles like it weighs half that. The rifle is 10-1/2 lbs.

Last edited by Charlie P.; 04-24-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:53 PM
JMCHASE

Dont know for sure if it counts as a hobby but im addicted to tools. I like to browse hardware stores and of course Harbor Freight to see if they have a tool that i dont have. Im a sucker for any wood working tool electric or otherwise. Had an interview with Black and Decker looong time ago really wanted that job.....oh well.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:35 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Hey, Soar RC..

What FPS online games do you enjoy playing? I really enjoyed Half Life 2, but that game is so old... There have been rumors of a HL3, but I am not holding my breath, so always on the lookout for a new game to play.. Also enjoy the Halo series, but I am not going to buy a new console just to play the latest halo episode!

Craig..
Old 04-25-2015, 04:43 AM
chazz1
My Feedback: (24)

My hobbies are r/c, fishing, and 1/24 drag slot racing. I got into drag slot at my lhs. Started out renting cars from the owner. It's an adrenaline rush. Especially when I win.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:14 AM
Pete Lane
My Feedback: (3)

RC Planes of all types.
Turbine jets.
Heli's and quads.
Boating and fishing.
Dirt bikes.
Mountain bikes.
Body building.
Making beef jerky.
Gardening.
Girl freind.
Teaching kids how to fly.
RC boats and hydros
Automobiles.

Plane
Old 04-25-2015, 07:41 PM
topspin

Originally Posted by Charlie P.
With my eyesight (55) - I have no problem harvesting 200 to 250 lb whitetail deer out to 75 yards with my .54 cal. I get full penetration with broadsides. On a good day at 75 yards I can put five balls in a 4" circle while sitting on the ground resting my elbows on my knees. I don't bendch shoot flintlocks - offhand or field rests. Furthest I have ever attempted hunting was at 120 yards on a bedded buck and I had all the time in the world to prepare. I got into a sitting position resting my elbows on a stump. He never stood up.

The barrel is 44" long so it has great sight radius. When I was 25 and shooting a lot we used to use flintlocks on woodchucks out to 150 yards - .50 caliber round ball. That's a 175 gr ball that starts out at around 1,900 fps. But being ballistically dismal that shed speed (and energy) rapidly.

For S4!=$ and giggles we have several guys who get together occasionally to shoot old cookware are ranges out to 250 yards. That's about a three foot hold-over. For hunting it would be irresponsible, but if it was a Redcoat most of the guys in my group could have made life pretty miserable for the enemy. And, of course, it's always easy when you're not under live fire yourself.

But I'll put it this way - the flintlock rifle is 10x easier to hunt with than still-hunting with a sightless recurve bow. I put a piece of waxed leather over the lock for when it's drizzly or showing and it works well in damp conditions IF you are careful.

I have taken two deer with a centerfire rifle. Both while I was sitting on a stump and both under 15 yards. (Can't use a rifle where I live - slug shotgun or muzzleloader, and I don't personally see much attraction to the telescopic sight, fiberglass stock muzzleloaders). I've taken around 25 deer with the flintlocks (the fowler throws a 1 ounce round ball through a deer at 60 yards right to point of aim) and I actually prefer that to the rifle as I hunt dense cover. Weighs seven pounds and has a 42" barrel. Handles like it weighs half that. The rifle is 10-1/2 lbs.
Thanks Charlie, I may look into getting one this summer. I have a nice 12 gauge that hunt turkey with but I have been wanting to get a flint lock rifle. I know they are heavy but I don't plan on any three day trips, my old back won't stand up to that anymore. Anyway, deer slugs are OK out to about 50 yards but lose accuracy pretty fast after that plus the ballistic curve is huge so you really have to practice aiming high. My little 223 is fairly flat out to 200 yards but you can't hunt deer with anything smaller than .240 at least in Virginia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.