Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Ripped off By Hobby King!!!

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Ripped off By Hobby King!!!

Old 05-18-2015, 07:12 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
I think it very very obvious that anyone dealing with HK has to accept they may not get what they paid for in a timely manner or maybe not at all.
I think that pretty well sums it up. You pay your money and take your chances. One screwed up deal and you could sacrifice all the money you saved on previous orders. I want to get what I order and I'm willing to pay for higher quality, so, after one deal went bad for me, I will never order from them again. Burn me once shame on them, the second time is on me. Won't be a second time - with HK or any other dealer.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Red Raider
My Feedback: (86)

I like the post that said misdirected mail could be the result of failure to pay attention to the details. That's very possible. I know that if I had to copy an address in Chinese, a language that I have absolutely ZERO knowledge of, the chances of me getting it correct would likely be pretty small. Just giving someone the benefit of the doubt. At $0.15 per hour, what can you expect??
Old 05-18-2015, 09:26 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's see...he said the order was shipped from Arkansas....wonder how many Chinese laborers work there?
Old 05-18-2015, 10:32 AM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Pointless to discuss this with you. Never lost a Penny to HK. They take a long time to resolve shipping losses, but they'll send the money back.
I didn't think that was too hard to understand.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:13 PM
Duncman

Let's see here. On 5/14/15 I placed an order with Tower Hobbies, 2 of the items were available through HK at a combined 10% savings, the other 2 items are not available with HK, 1 item was back ordered but it was plainly labeled as such when I made my order, free shipping, even for the back ordered item. Today the order was sitting on my doorstep 4 days later with no issues. Go Hobby King????
Old 05-18-2015, 12:50 PM
OliverJacob

I just looked for a 100A speed controller. HK has one in the US west warehouse, $ 48.71 shipped via Fedex.
Now for 10 % more I should be able to find one at Tower, right? Let's see.....nope. Not even close.

Great example there. If you look long enough, you'll may find some items even cheaper with Tower, but it's rather an exception.
For a difference of 10%, no doubt I'd order with Tower. They are great and there are no worries about the order.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:29 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

Drones>>hobby king>>> what next
Old 05-18-2015, 02:57 PM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A
Old 05-18-2015, 03:23 PM
robwiljas

Originally Posted by radfordc
Not so sure you're right about that. I looked up the Uniform Commercial code and found this:

§ 2–509. Risk of Loss in the Absence of Breach.
(1) Where the contract requires or authorizes the seller to ship the goods by carrier
(a) if it does not require him to deliver them at a particular destination, the risk of loss passes
to the buyer when the goods are duly delivered to the carrier
even though the shipment is
under reservation (Section 2–505);

Wikipedia says this: FOB place of business—The seller assumes risk of loss until goods are placed on a carrier. FOB destination: seller risks loss until shipment arrives at destination. If the contract leaves out the delivery place, it is the seller’s place of business.
You missed a key point in your quote. If the seller is agreeing to deliver the item to a particular destination (ie your home address) and unless otherwise agreed to, the seller is responsible for the loss until it's delivered.

UCC 2-509, entitled “Risk of Loss in the Absence of Breach” provides, in pertinent part:
(1) Where the contract requires or authorizes the seller to ship the goods by carrier
(a) if it does not require him to deliver them at a particular destination, the risk of loss passes to the buyer when the goods are duly delivered to the carrier even though the shipment is under reservation (Section 2-505); but
(b) if it does require him to deliver them at a particular destination and the goods are duly tendered while in the possession of the carrier, the risk of loss passes to the buyer when the goods are duly so tendered as to enable the buyer to take delivery.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:11 PM
Duncman

Yea but Tower Hobbies 100 amp speed controller works!!!!
Old 05-18-2015, 06:39 PM
OliverJacob

Originally Posted by Duncman
Yea but Tower Hobbies 100 amp speed controller works!!!!

I already have a HK 100 A speed controller, works really great. It does all I need and I have quite a few controllers form HK. After years of use (and abuse) they work great.
Do you have any proof for your claims? I bet you personally have seen many of them fail and witnessed planes crashing all the time....
I do believe that the Tower controller are of a better quality, but for most of us, the cheapos are good enough.

Nah, as far as the electric stuff goes, HK has the better deals. There are other vendors like Value Hobbies, prices are close to HK and they are in Illinios, they are a good alternative to HK.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:11 PM
topspin

Originally Posted by ahicks
People are going to keep using HK, period. Those that don't like them don't need to. They're getting along fine without you.

Here's the reality. They're expanding, getting bigger and bigger. They've built a business model that's working very well for them. In a relatively short amount of time, they've gone from ordering direct from China only, to opening a US warehouse/order center, to adding an East Coast office (airplane hangar), and now a second US warehouse.
Bigger and Bigger?.... So you work for them and know what their revenue stream is. See this is what I was talking about, you have no way of knowing if your statement is true or not. For all you know they could be getting smaller unless you can provide some kind of proof to the contrary.

As for opening warehouses that's not exactly true, they have contracted with fulfilment centers who operate as warehouses for multiple companies, they don't actually own them, they are simply distribution points but all of the transactions go through China.

You can't order from the US warehouses, neither one unless (supposedly) you are a first time customer and according to a dozen or more who have tried it, it doesn't work. All orders ( and the money) go through China no matter what.

The USA West distribution facility is having tons of problems shipping orders and they have had way more than enough time to get settled from the move. They are just a cheap operation that functions as a distribution point for a foreign company, this exempts them from a lot of US laws.

Lastly your post was an attempt to defend them when you don't even know how they do business.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:50 PM
radfordc

Originally Posted by topspin
Bigger and Bigger?.... So you work for them and know what their revenue stream is. See this is what I was talking about, you have no way of knowing if your statement is true or not. For all you know they could be getting smaller unless you can provide some kind of proof to the contrary.
I've seen HK's presence expand both on the web and in the print magazines. They have more "warehouses" providing service to customer's both here in the US and also in Europe and the Far East. Just from a casual observation they have definitely gotten "bigger". One could surmise that their business plan is working very well, for them.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Duncman

All kidding aside, I have not experienced nor have I heard of a higher mortality rate or functional problems with HK products versus their competitors, that really hasn't been the issue in this thread. The issue is simply the quality of customer service, or shall I say, the lack thereof. If it is so important to you to get the cheapest price and eat the cost of an occasional flawed item then be my guest, but please forgive me if I fail to see the economics in that strategy.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:34 PM
robyanhuz

The state ag won't do a thing for you since its a civil matter.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:40 AM
jgracco

This is HKs terms and conditions. This is very black and white. And anyone who purchases items from them needs to agree to this.

The onus is on the seller here but they wont replace an item until the lost item is recovered and/or claim is processed with the carrier. So in most cases we are talking 60 days +. If you order from tower, I know they will ship out a new item in lieu of the lost item being sent back but that comes at a price. Ever shop in a generics supermarket. The cashier is the manager is the stock boy. you might have to buy your bags but you get a cartful for half the cost of the others. if you want more cushion you can shop at the bigger name places but you pay for it. I know I buy on HK to save money and if it gets lost well see below...

From HK website before paying for an item:

[TABLE="width: 90%"]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #999999"]My parcel has not arrived![/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] We can understand the frustration associated with a late parcel.
A late parcel could be the result of any number of reasons within the either countries postal system. The usual delivery time for a Standard Air Mail item is 10-30 days and an EMS item is 3-6 days. Please understand that we have no control over customs or your countries postal system.
BEFORE you contact us regarding a late parcel, please check with your local post office. In most cases parcels that do not arrive at your home are waiting for you at the post office for collection.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #999999"]Lost parcels.[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD] We do not consider a parcel lost until after we have filed a missing parcel report with the Hong Kong Postmaster. We can do this after 45 days.
countries such as Italy, France, Spain, Brazil and South Africa usually have extended wait times due to customs. However this is not common.
Once we have filed a missing parcel report and we have a response (no later than 60 days) from your countries postal authority, we can then replace your parcel. We will confirm with you on your address during this process.
We do not refund or replace parcels that did not arrive because they were not picked up in time or sent back to us and lost in transit or have the incorrect address.[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Originally Posted by robwiljas
You missed a key point in your quote. If the seller is agreeing to deliver the item to a particular destination (ie your home address) and unless otherwise agreed to, the seller is responsible for the loss until it's delivered.

UCC 2-509, entitled “Risk of Loss in the Absence of Breach” provides, in pertinent part:
(a) if it does not require him to deliver them at a particular destination, the risk of loss passes to the buyer when the goods are duly delivered to the carrier even though the shipment is under reservation (Section 2-505); but
(b) if it does require him to deliver them at a particular destination and the goods are duly tendered while in the possession of the carrier, the risk of loss passes to the buyer when the goods are duly so tendered as to enable the buyer to take delivery.

Last edited by jgracco; 05-19-2015 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:18 AM
[email protected]

why buy from hobby king after you hear half the flyers got ripped off you might be next ill buy from the usa or go without
Old 05-19-2015, 07:07 AM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Half the buyers ripped off!!!??? Which competition is paying you to post? That is absolutely groundless and ridiculous. They have thousands of satisfied customers, perhaps millions of transactions, and a small percentage of problems. I have 80+ orders and perhaps 2 problems which were resolved to my satisfaction.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:15 AM
[email protected]

4*60 why do so many talk about this ripped off>> and no one pays me to say any thing i ssay what i like if people dont like it to bad
Old 05-19-2015, 08:10 AM
Skyseeker1

My complaint is now with Advantage Hobby. Although my Robart retracts were delivered on time , they turned out to be defective. Robarts's warranty only applies to items purchased directly through them so I have no recourse through Robart. Attempts to file for Return Merchandise Authorization with ADVANTAGE HOBBY led to a browser page stating "Page Not Available" message. So I e-mailed directly to an ADVANTAGE HOBBY address indicating an employee who handles returns. Here is their response :

Advantage HobbyToM

May 18 at 3:20 PM

Sorry to hear that you are having a problem M.

Being experienced in building, we suggest that you can either: Contact Robart (they can help get the correct retracts for you & warranty their products) :
[h=1]ROBART MANUFACTURING[/h]
URL: http://www.robart.com
Phone: (630) 584-7616

Or file a Return on our website. Sign into your Advantage Club account and then click on Customer Service (at the bottom of each of our webpages) to find Returns. Follow the prompts from there.

Best Regards,
Advantage Hobby

And here is my reply to this :

ToAdvantage Hobby

May 18 at 5:19 PM

Yeah , I did all that before I e-mailed you according to your published return policy. Robart's return policy is only valid on products purchased directly from them. But you probably already know that. And when I attempted to send a return notice via links on your website all I got was an error message. But you probably already know that too. So , do I get an RMA from you or do I spread my customer disatisfaction with Advantage Hobbies all over the internet and my 130 member rc club and give all my future online business to Tower Hobbies?

Best Regards
[email protected]

Today I telephoned ADVANTAGE HOBBY and their representative gave me the same advice as stated in their original reply. I could return the ROBART RETRACTS for a restocking fee , but by the time I prepare the shipment pay the postage and the re-stocking fee the amount of refund I could expect may not be worth the frustration.

IMO - Add ADVANTAGE HOBBY to your list of online retailers to avoid doing business with.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:58 AM
radfordc

Originally Posted by [email protected]
why buy from hobby king
Only one reason that makes sense....to save hundreds of dollars. I compared some large wood props (20-22 inch) I bought from HK with the equivalent from Tower. From HK they were less than $10 each. From Tower they would have been over $20 each. That's a lot to pay for great customer service.

57 orders for me and no rip off yet.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:08 AM
[email protected]

would it help to have your local hobby shop order for you that way he can return them if it dont work>>
Old 05-19-2015, 10:34 AM
Delrin

Whoa, this is a USPS problem. The tracking information suggests it. It doesn't make it through three sorts from a mis-label, even if the label gets damaged. It's electronic these days.

I just had this happen through the USPS, from a private sale in the RC classifieds. I bought a helicopter, and the USPS lost half of it, temporarily. I also ship for a living and if you ship enough packages, about 2% will have a problem. 1 out of 50. This is with Fed Ex, UPS, R&L, USPS, etc. All of them have issues from time to time.

What most likely happened from the tracking trail is your package was damaged at the last sorting facility. The USPS is not in a hurry to repair the shipping container (box) and get it on its way. My Priority Mail package was delayed 8 days from the original due date. I had to start a customer service claim, and then escalate it with Customer Relations after 48 hours. It arrived, and was re-taped over the damaged portion of the shipping box. Fortunately, the seller did such a good job packaging the helicopter, the contents were un-damaged.

I also went through the same scenario with the seller as you are with HK, although opposite. He offered to replace the items that were missing (delayed). It was over $500 in replacement parts. I didn't want him to be out twice, so we exercised a little patience. Everything worked itself out, and your delivery will as well. An employee of the USPS will personally track down your parcel, and send it on its way or let you know the status of it.

You can always dispute the sale with your CC company. You will most likely end up with your money back and the items ordered.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:06 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by Delrin
Whoa, this is a USPS problem. The tracking information suggests it. It doesn't make it through three sorts from a mis-label, even if the label gets damaged. It's electronic these days.

I just had this happen through the USPS, from a private sale in the RC classifieds. I bought a helicopter, and the USPS lost half of it, temporarily. I also ship for a living and if you ship enough packages, about 2% will have a problem. 1 out of 50. This is with Fed Ex, UPS, R&L, USPS, etc. All of them have issues from time to time.

What most likely happened from the tracking trail is your package was damaged at the last sorting facility. The USPS is not in a hurry to repair the shipping container (box) and get it on its way. My Priority Mail package was delayed 8 days from the original due date. I had to start a customer service claim, and then escalate it with Customer Relations after 48 hours. It arrived, and was re-taped over the damaged portion of the shipping box. Fortunately, the seller did such a good job packaging the helicopter, the contents were un-damaged.

I also went through the same scenario with the seller as you are with HK, although opposite. He offered to replace the items that were missing (delayed). It was over $500 in replacement parts. I didn't want him to be out twice, so we exercised a little patience. Everything worked itself out, and your delivery will as well. An employee of the USPS will personally track down your parcel, and send it on its way or let you know the status of it.

You can always dispute the sale with your CC company. You will most likely end up with your money back and the items ordered.
There have been a slew of problems with the Hobby King West warehouse and putting the wrong address on a package has happened more than once so you really don't know if it's the PO's fault or not. Even if the PO did mess it up it is incumbent on the seller/shipper to follow up and make sure that the customer gets what they paid for in good condition or gets reimbursed.

That is not hand holding, premium service, or any of the other apologist phrases I see on this thread, it is the most basic customer service and why Hobby King feel like they can't provide that is simply beyond me.

"radfordc" I've seen HK's presence expand both on the web and in the print magazines. They have more "warehouses" providing service to customer's both here in the US and also in Europe and the Far East. Just from a casual observation they have definitely gotten "bigger". One could surmise that their business plan is working very well, for them.
Advertising is not a measure of a company's expansion or contraction. I have not seen any Hobby King products at hobby shops so besides printing a two page add in RCM how exactly are they expanding. The fulfilment centers, so called warehouses, that they lease are not indicative of expansion, they don't own those. So you really don't have any idea how large or small they really are.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:15 PM
radfordc

Originally Posted by topspin
There have been a slew of problems with the Hobby King West warehouse
The original poster said he ordered from the East warehouse.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.