Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Ripped off By Hobby King!!!

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Ripped off By Hobby King!!!

Old 05-19-2015, 01:19 PM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In regards to Hobby King and how they operate, I wonder if it's much different than the old "America's Hobby Center" back in the 60's. AHC was a discount seller, mainly thru mail order from ads in the hobby mag's although I think they did have a facility in New York City.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:50 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by topspin
There have been a slew of problems with the Hobby King West warehouse and putting the wrong address on a package has happened more than once so you really don't know if it's the PO's fault or not. Even if the PO did mess it up it is incumbent on the seller/shipper to follow up and make sure that the customer gets what they paid for in good condition or gets reimbursed.

That is not hand holding, premium service, or any of the other apologist phrases I see on this thread, it is the most basic customer service and why Hobby King feel like they can't provide that is simply beyond me.

Advertising is not a measure of a company's expansion or contraction. I have not seen any Hobby King products at hobby shops so besides printing a two page add in RCM how exactly are they expanding. The fulfilment centers, so called warehouses, that they lease are not indicative of expansion, they don't own those. So you really don't have any idea how large or small they really are.
You haven't send their products at local hobby shops? Hmmm, if you think long and hard about it, you may find the answer to that one.

And you know how many packages got lost? You do not work there, no way you could have the slightest clue about it.
Neither do you know how many packages the others loose.

Post a reliable source of the statistics, other then your made up opinion.

Last edited by OliverJacob; 05-19-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:11 PM
topspin

I have not seen their products at any hobby shops. Tower and Horizon are large hobby distributors who sell to hobby shops all over the world, I don't work for them but my brother in law owns a hobby shop so I know that my statement is true because he has been in the hobby business for 30 years and Tower and Horizon are the main wholesale suppliers and he knows the hobby business inside and out.

So I did think long and hard about it and it looks like I'm right.

As for lost packages or mislabeled packages one need only read the number of complaints on this and other RC websites to see how often it occurs. Keep in mind that these are only the instances that get reported, I'm sure there are many other incidents where the purchaser remains silent. That's better than basing a hunch on a two page advertisement.

So again unless you actually work for them you can't prove that they are growing or filling thousands of orders per day, it may only be a couple of hundred per day, probably closer to the truth. In any case they can't seem to provide even the most basic service without punishing the customer. It's all about keeping your money for as long as they can.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:46 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I truly believe that HK compensates for their low prices by outright cheating a certain percentage of its customers, However based on the number of people that feel that's it's ok
for HK to operate the way they do because of their low prices they seem to have a bright future.

I just don't believe that many of the problems HK has in servicing their customers are unintentional and will continue as long as it is profitable for them.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:00 PM
jgracco

I have a friend who owns a hobby shop and they sell many products from hobby king. Yes Tower is the grand ruler. they always have been. A bit of a monopoly if you ask me. They police the Internet to make sure the pricing is consistent too. Hobby Police as they are referred to.

As for your assessment... this is all a lot of conjecture on your part. nothing concrete at all. You stated earlier that HKs expansion is not necessarily indicative of an increase in business. Are you in denial? Please help me to understand how or why any business whether here or overseas would rent even 1 square foot of space and then open multiple "fulfillment centers" as you have referred to them as across the US if they were not increasing their business. When you come up with a viable answer to that one I'll be willing to listen but for the time being you have not stated one thing that makes one stitch of sense.

Originally Posted by topspin
I have not seen their products at any hobby shops. Tower and Horizon are large hobby distributors who sell to hobby shops all over the world, I don't work for them but my brother in law owns a hobby shop so I know that my statement is true because he has been in the hobby business for 30 years and Tower and Horizon are the main wholesale suppliers and he knows the hobby business inside and out.

So I did think long and hard about it and it looks like I'm right.

As for lost packages or mislabeled packages one need only read the number of complaints on this and other RC websites to see how often it occurs. Keep in mind that these are only the instances that get reported, I'm sure there are many other incidents where the purchaser remains silent. That's better than basing a hunch on a two page advertisement.

So again unless you actually work for them you can't prove that they are growing or filling thousands of orders per day, it may only be a couple of hundred per day, probably closer to the truth. In any case they can't seem to provide even the most basic service without punishing the customer. It's all about keeping your money for as long as they can.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:07 PM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The company sells a LOT of stuff manufactured with little or no quality control. It's well known that what you buy may not work, and that they offer no customer service. But you already knew this and ordered from them regardless. Like a gambler you took your chances......so don't cry when you lose. Bottom dollar price isn't everything when shopping. I would NEVER buy a single thing from them........ unless I can't get it anywhere else and I'm willing to risk losing my money in the gamble. Case closed.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:33 AM
flyoz
My Feedback: (7)

in transit delayed is an internal issue of the carrier. i had the same thing but the package arrived a couple of weeks later. i think its in house jargon for oops Fred put it on the wrong truck we have to wait till it gets back from Canada, Bullamakanka or wherever.
Hobbyking isnt to blame
You have to understand they are a discount house type operation keeping prices low so support is a bit wanting, but they are not dodgy.
If you are stressed pay 100X the $ for the same thing out of a large hobby group and still get the "its someone elses fault" service backup.
its a bit rude to cry " Ive been ripped off " without a real understanding .
Ive had dozens of transactions with them , had the odd issue which extra patience solved ok and saved thousand $.
Unlike many Local Hobby shops who claim service, expertise and ability to guide purchasers when in reality they have massive mark ups (the whole wholesale / retail marfia network), flog anything they feel stuck with and and most often dont give a damn hiding behind the its a factory policy etc.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:07 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by ira d
I truly believe that HK compensates for their low prices by outright cheating a certain percentage of its customers, However based on the number of people that feel that's it's ok
for HK to operate the way they do because of their low prices they seem to have a bright future.

I just don't believe that many of the problems HK has in servicing their customers are unintentional and will continue as long as it is profitable for them.
In one sentence you basically libel a company you admittedly don't do business with, then make a huge assumption about customers who use the company and understand how to deal with them? From a company you don't do business with.

The premise that any legitimate business would set about to intentionally cheat a defined percentage of their customers is completely without merit, baseless really. It's as bizzare as saying the place is run by one guy out of some room in home or apt. Companies are there to make a profit. When their system works as designed, they make money. When they have staff dealing with service issues that costs them money, and thereby decreases profits.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	jackie.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	2097304  
Old 05-20-2015, 04:10 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I've yet to see a good reason why anyone would care so much about a lost package when all they have to do is call or get on line with their credit card company when the package hasn't arrived within a reasonable amount of time? That's worst case. This seems pretty simple. What is the big deal?

It makes absolutely NO DIFFERENCE who's responsible. Deal with it and move on, geesh...

Or are we trying to establish that ALL missing packages are shipped from HK? First, ANYONE, who can honestly say they order online frequently, will know this is absolutely not true. Further, anyone working for a company, ANY company, that does a LOT of shipping, can tell you they have a percentage of that shipping go to "no mans land", never to be seen again - no matter how careful you are. You deal with it, through insurance claims with the shipping companies and through your cost of doing business. Trying to place the blame on the responsible party is a waste of time and effort.

And the thought that HK is attempting to profit from issues that make customers unhappy? That's just hogwash.... an example of paranoia at it's finest.

Regarding HK and hobby shop owners, if the shop has it's act together, they should have no trouble stocking some of HK's more popular product (like batteries?). Yes, it's going to cost more than on-line prices, but the shops should be used to that concept by now, and customers as well? There's also a good chance that even though the product didn't come through their regular distribution channels, it will arrive at the store with a very attractive price when compared to product that comes through regular distribution channels. Why? Middlemen, like Tower, have been cut out of the deal.... The shop can then sell that product at better prices, while realizing higher profit margins.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:11 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by rustyrivet
The company sells a LOT of stuff manufactured with little or no quality control.It's well known that what you buy may not work, and that they offer no customer service. But you already knew this and ordered from them regardless. Like a gambler you took your chances......so don't cry when you lose. Bottom dollar price isn't everything when shopping. I would NEVER buy a single thing from them........ unless I can't get it anywhere else and I'm willing to risk losing my money in the gamble. Case closed.
Again, lots of wild and baseless comments made by someone who doesn't use the company. They sell a LOT of stuff with little or no QC? Really? O.S., Futaba, Scorpion, JR, Mobius. They offer no customer service, nothing, nada? Really?
Old 05-20-2015, 04:20 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I find HK's service to be very good.

Have only had one problem ... and HK took responsibility for it, despite it being not of their making.

Seems to be more-than-fair.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:25 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by jgracco
I have a friend who owns a hobby shop and they sell many products from hobby king. Yes Tower is the grand ruler. they always have been. A bit of a monopoly if you ask me. They police the Internet to make sure the pricing is consistent too. Hobby Police as they are referred to.

As for your assessment... this is all a lot of conjecture on your part. nothing concrete at all. You stated earlier that HKs expansion is not necessarily indicative of an increase in business. Are you in denial? Please help me to understand how or why any business whether here or overseas would rent even 1 square foot of space and then open multiple "fulfillment centers" as you have referred to them as across the US if they were not increasing their business. When you come up with a viable answer to that one I'll be willing to listen but for the time being you have not stated one thing that makes one stitch of sense.

It's no so much "denial" as it is cognitive dissonance. Price doesn't equate to service, they try to cheat on taxes, everything is handled in Hong Kong, they don't have any "real" locations in US, they are going out of business very very soon, etc etc etc. This despite obvious growth and expansion.

This thread goes the way almost every HK thread does, a complaint or rave, then comments by some who have had good luck, others who have not but dealt with it just fine, and eventually name calling, subtle accusations of "well do you work for them?", apologists etc etc etc. If you like using them and have had good service, you're an apologist. Or basically is you don't slam them in any manner, you are an apologist. Many comments too from folks who have never used them, never will. The interesting (or odd) thing here is that you have someone who says unless you work for them you can't comment really on any facet of their business, but then goes ahead and comments on many facets of their business and makes pronouncements as if they are fact. Cognitive dissonance or do as I say, not as I do, dunno.

Absent emotion or bias, it's hard to say they have not expanded in the past two years. People will continue to use them, and others will continue not to use them. It's doubtful that any comments made on any internet board will persuade or dissuade someone from using them.

The threads shouldn't all go the same way. Good and bad experiences should be shared, and ways to deal with them effectively when things go wrong are helpful. The other "stuff" just muddies the waters unfortunately.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:46 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Hobby King experiences for me 18 orders in 17 months -2 poor experiences -required paypal intervention to get my money back. I have chose not to do business with them anymore.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:01 AM
jgracco

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
Hobby King experiences for me 18 orders in 17 months -2 poor experiences -required paypal intervention to get my money back. I have chose not to do business with them anymore.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:19 AM
radfordc

I was reminded of some of the people posting in this thread when I read this article: http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borow...sistant-humans

"Scientists have discovered a powerful new strain of fact-resistant humans who are threatening the ability of Earth to sustain life, a sobering new study reports."
Old 05-20-2015, 06:42 AM
Duncman

I wonder how many posts would be generated by a thread that started with "I have been ripped off by Tower Hobbies". I would be willing to bet that it would probably die pretty quickly while this thread goes on and on with the same folks defending HK and new folks coming on board to beat them up. Whatever your position with HK, positive or negative, one fact has been established with this thread, it is an excellent critique of their business practices and HK has not faired well and nor will it if it continues on with the same old business practices.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:47 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

These threads do nothing but provide a platform for the same guys to argue the same points/opinions,, they never resolve anything.

USPS lost the package, HK has a time frame like any other company would,, No company is just going to ship out a new item(s) and then the original shipment shows up and they trust the buyer to return the extra package.

Sorry OP, bad luck, it happens, but you have no evidence HK ripped you off at all. the thread title is ridiculous

good luck
Old 05-20-2015, 07:04 AM
ira d

Originally Posted by Duncman
I wonder how many posts would be generated by a thread that started with "I have been ripped off by Tower Hobbies". I would be willing to bet that it would probably die pretty quickly while this thread goes on and on with the same folks defending HK and new folks coming on board to beat them up. Whatever your position with HK, positive or negative, one fact has been established with this thread, it is an excellent critique of their business practices and HK has not faired well and nor will it if it continues on with the same old business practices.
It is very rare to see a post that bashes Tower Hobbies and when one come along Tower is usually defended by their customers at a rate of 10 to 1 pro Tower. I just don't get this idea
that when you buy from HK you need to understand how to deal with them or only buy items that they claim is in stock in the USA warehouse or don't use paypal use a credit card
instead. To me it makes no sense to deal with a company that you have to be so careful with just to increase your chance of not having a problem with your order.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:10 AM
ira d

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
These threads do nothing but provide a platform for the same guys to argue the same points/opinions,, they never resolve anything.

USPS lost the package, HK has a time frame like any other company would,, No company is just going to ship out a new item(s) and then the original shipment shows up and they trust the buyer to return the extra package.

Sorry OP, bad luck, it happens, but you have no evidence HK ripped you off at all. the thread title is ridiculous

good luck
Many companies will ship out a replacement item before the lost one is returned Tower Hobbies being one that will in fact it might be worth doing a poll and listing all the companies that
will replace lost or damaged items immediately.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:12 AM
radfordc

Why wouldn't Tower customer's defend them....they provide excellent products and service. They also charge a fair price for their products and service....usually a much higher price than HK shows. If you believe that you're getting good value from Tower, you shop there. If you believe that HK is providing a good value, you shop there. Not really a big deal.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:20 AM
Duncman

ira d, my point exactly. scale only 4 me, I disagree, I think forums like this are invaluable, if for no other reason, it is a review. The outside chance that HK may read this does exist and just maybe they won't be so arrogant that they will change their business practice, just imagine the impact that would have on the industry. And if they choose to maintain status quo then more folks are aware of their shenanigan's, unintentional or otherwise, and their business will whither and eventually go away, serving an example to the remaining vendors. Word of mouth is a powerful force.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:09 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by ira d
Many companies will ship out a replacement item before the lost one is returned Tower Hobbies being one that will in fact it might be worth doing a poll and listing all the companies that
will replace lost or damaged items immediately.
What,huh?
How can a lost package be returned first if it's lost?

I'm sure even Tower has a time frame formula for a package lost in route it sets it policy by,, damaged goods is no the issue here
Old 05-20-2015, 08:15 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by Duncman
ira d, my point exactly. scale only 4 me, I disagree, I think forums like this are invaluable, if for no other reason, it is a review. The outside chance that HK may read this does exist and just maybe they won't be so arrogant that they will change their business practice, just imagine the impact that would have on the industry. And if they choose to maintain status quo then more folks are aware of their shenanigan's, unintentional or otherwise, and their business will whither and eventually go away, serving an example to the remaining vendors. Word of mouth is a powerful force.
IMO (in my opinion)

They would be very effective if guys would stick with actual facts, stay on topic, not speculate wildly and spew slanted opinion as if they are the facts.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:30 AM
intruderoutbound
My Feedback: (12)

OK Guys, I really appreciate all the comments and suggestions. Here are a few more bits of info.

I own a company myself and we build / machine precision part for several companies . Several years back UPS lost a box containing $4000.00 worth of product and it was insured. Now was I just to say to my customer oh well you will have to get reimbursed from UPS ???? I think not It was still my possibility because I had to fill the claim with UPS that is how it works. And by they way I did check with my local PostMaster She said that the shipper need to contact the Warehouse .
Old 05-20-2015, 09:25 AM
radfordc

I buy a lot of stuff from both HK and Tower. I only complained to Tower about a defective product one time. It was a TF P-51 ARF that had a bad cowl. Tower told me there was nothing they could do about it and to contact the manufacturer. What could I do....post a thread called "Tower Hobby ripped me off"?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.