Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Under 5$ 10A(40A burst) linear regulator.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Under 5$ 10A(40A burst) linear regulator.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:06 PM
mehrshad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Under 5$ 10A(40A burst) linear regulator.

Hi,
Here is my high current linear regulator with virtually zero drop( 40mv @10A) with 3$ BOM in Iran and maybe 5$ in US!
The logic is simple. Tl431 compare the divided output with 2.5V ref. and command the NMOS via an 4pin opto like PC817.( CTR>0.5 please!)
IR1404 is so powerful and rated for 140A at 100C case temp with ON resistance <4mOhm @25C.
In this config. the positive wire of input is the common wire not the negative because NMOS is far better MOS in comparison with P types.
Tested with 12A and OK. (burst up to 50A)/ weight with cabels=36gr
Hope to be helpful.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0020.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	2103331   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0019.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	2103332   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0022.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	2103333  
Old 06-17-2015, 04:14 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Some thoughts here ;

First thought , kudos for your willingness to assemble from discrete components a device that most would have no idea how to construct . The build it yourself aspect of hobby electronics is dead in our brave new world of 2015 where everything comes "plug N play" (God I hate that term) ....

Second thought , Why a linear regulator ? The circuit diagram you show is that of a very common linear regulator circuit and as linear regulators dump excess voltage as heat their efficiency goes down as power levels go up . A switching regulator circuit is far better in the power regulated VS power wasted aspect as the power reduction comes from the pulsed nature of the circuit rather than heating up a big chunk of aluminum . In applications where power wasted VS power regulated are no concern , like in AC mains derived power for home electronics for instance , sure , a linear reg gets it done quick and cheap , manufacturing wise . But when we're talking the finite resource of battery power , ANY power wasted in the regulation is unacceptable when a circuit exists that wastes next to no power at all .....

Final thought , by mentioning a selling price , you have now turned your post from informative to advertisement , and under the "no spam" rules here in the clubhouse this really isn't allowed . If you plan to sell these as you post seems to indicate , you must run an ad in the classified for sale section of the forum . Please remember , most folks see spamming as a scummy way to attempt a bit of sneaky free advertising and this will NOT inspire confidence in your potential customers if your first approach comes from a position of dishonesty .....
Old 06-17-2015, 04:31 AM
mehrshad

Dear Friend,
First of all thank you.
Second I am an expert of switching supply designer but linear regulator with 2s lipo has many advantages.
-Because the in/out diff voltage is 2v average its not that inefficient.
-It handle the pulse loads better(like large digital servos)
-its simpler and harder to fail
- it can supply huge burst current.the average current on planes is not that high but bursts could be.
-No RF noise generated

I wrote the BOM is 5$ not the sale price! and also considering the most valuable thing -Time- it will actually cost more than 5$ and I just decided to share some experience with those who need it.
If I took your valuable time, I'm sorry.
Regards

Last edited by mehrshad; 06-17-2015 at 04:37 AM.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:15 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

No need for you to say sorry , you explained the informational nature of your post , rather than it being an advertisement , and you have MY apology for thinking you were selling them . And yes , no possible RF emission is highly desirable in an RC environment , that's a definite bonus for the linear reg .

Again , good job on the creativity of building it , we are likely among the last generations of electronic "do it yourself" people ....
Old 06-17-2015, 05:46 AM
mehrshad

Thank you....
Old 06-20-2015, 06:23 AM
mehrshad

It tested on the plane, no problem.