Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What has happened to Hobbyking?

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What has happened to Hobbyking?

Old 06-30-2015, 07:20 PM
crashmasterb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What has happened to Hobbyking?

Been buying from them for years ? I recently put an order in and didn't think nothing of it as I ordered on the 18th of june 2015. I happened to look at my acount and it said unpaid but recieved an email from PayPal was paid on the 18th. So I went on my rant with these people that I played the wait game an had buddy codes and now some of the stuff is out of stock. ***. What a waste of time. Now I cancelled everything and im pissed. It was a whole fpv package. Anyone else seen Hobbyking diminish in service? I was pissed they took my money and said unpaid. Wouldnt you be? 15 days later.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:06 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I can't believe you have not seen all the negative post here on RCU about Hobbyking, Hardly a week goes by that someone is not posting about a problem with HK. I hope you get
your order. I myself will not order from them.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:13 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ira d
I can't believe you have not seen all the negative post here on RCU about Hobbyking, Hardly a week goes by that someone is not posting about a problem with HK. I hope you get
your order. I myself will not order from them.
No, that is not factually correct.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:36 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by crashmasterb
Been buying from them for years ? I recently put an order in and didn't think nothing of it as I ordered on the 18th of june 2015. I happened to look at my acount and it said unpaid but recieved an email from PayPal was paid on the 18th. So I went on my rant with these people that I played the wait game an had buddy codes and now some of the stuff is out of stock. ***. What a waste of time. Now I cancelled everything and im pissed. It was a whole fpv package. Anyone else seen Hobbyking diminish in service? I was pissed they took my money and said unpaid. Wouldnt you be? 15 days later.
There's some info left out in your complaint, like what the items were, where they were purchased, where you are located, what warehouse purchased from, and what the stock level was when purchased. If Lipo's were involved, that complicates things too.

Overall they are the same company they were 4 or 5 years ago, just bigger. They still have service opportunities, like any company. Where they continue to have opportunities is how they respond to issues. They outsource most of the CS work. They have live help, and also the ticket system, not sure which of those you used to rant too.

Since you've used them for years you know for the most part things go o/k when you use them. About a year and a half ago they opened a branch office in NY and there are at least two CSR's that are responding to service issues. Oddly enough, them getting additional help led to even more complaints about them (which will probably surface here eventually, as is common with HK threads). The main guy that seems to deal with this stuff is named Rob. Here is a link to where he can be contacted.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=509946

That is also a bone of contention for some as well, oddly enough. Yes, they got additional help and he's on RCG and that's a problem, lol (can't please everyone ) Look him up, in general he seems pretty responsible and almost always gets the issues resolved.

Some basic rules (for me)when dealing with them (if you don't know), never buy anything that's low in stock. I go with anything under 10. Between hitting the order button and paying, it might go out of stock. I do that with any company that has low stock. It stands to reason they will charge you immediately, and once they checker/clerk goes to get the item, they discover the 3 on hand is now down to 0. I believe the HK site says they will hold up a whole order when something goes on backorder, I never get anything on backorder.

If there is a problem, I try live help first, then the ticket system. If not, then the CSR in NY. Worst case, use your CC or PP chargeback process, that's the thing that gets their attention immediately. Unfortunagely, they will typically not respond to PP (bad news), but in almost every instance I can recall, PP finds in your favor (good news). It just takes time.

Not sure what system you were looking at and what your budget was, but there is another guy on RCG that custom builds stuff and seems to have a great following. His name is Bopine, (Armattan Quads)

Good luck either way.
Old 07-01-2015, 05:19 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
No, that is not factually correct.
I wont argue the issue, But all anyone needs to do is do a search on HK postings here on RCU and they will see that I am correct. In fact in your long response on how to deal with HK
it basically shows that you are aware that HK has problems.

Last edited by ira d; 07-01-2015 at 05:29 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:07 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

They just recently failed to ship a couple rolls of covering after 3 weeks from the west warehouse. i talked with c/s got a run around and hung up on. I filed a pay pay dispute and got a refund and they deleted my account! I just signed up as another user and ordered it from the east warehouse. It is just dealing with HK, if you can put up with the BS they do have good prices.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:11 PM
porcia83
Banned

I wont argue the issue, But all anyone needs to do is do a search on HK postings here on RCU and they will see that I am correct. In fact in your long response on how to deal with HK
Right, because it's hard to find actual evidence of what you said. The length of my response isn't indicative of anything more than it's lengthy.... Much of what I said could go for many similar companies out there, but yes, they have service issues as well as others.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:13 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by mscic-RCU
They just recently failed to ship a couple rolls of covering after 3 weeks from the west warehouse. i talked with c/s got a run around and hung up on. I filed a pay pay dispute and got a refund and they deleted my account! I just signed up as another user and ordered it from the east warehouse. It is just dealing with HK, if you can put up with the BS they do have good prices.
a friend of mine had issues with the east warehouse, after a year of buying there they suddenly didn't recog his address as legit. Took some time to get it straightened out. I heard the Western WH moved and had some similar interruptions with service during the move. I just put an order in Sunday night for two smaller lipos...we'll see how long it takes to get them.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:58 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

hobbyking sucks-
Old 07-01-2015, 05:39 PM
crashmasterb

All the fpv gear was in stock when I ordered on the 18th. My bad in just looking at a paypal email the 19th that funds were sent to hextronix aka Hobbyking. I just so happened to look for a tracking on the 30th and it said unpaid but they already took my money.
I can deal with backorders but they said there was a problem with payment confirmation. WHAT? They already had my money. This has never happened before and I may just keep it in the states from now on but as you know some of the items you really need are not available in the US warehouses
Old 07-01-2015, 05:44 PM
crashmasterb

By the way this is not my first dealings with Hobbyking I have been ordering for years and spent alot of money there
Old 07-01-2015, 05:49 PM
crashmasterb

Oh and I already own an armattan cf 355 and is my best flyer. Thumbs up for armattan. Chris "Rocks "and he is the best customer service I have ever come across.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:19 PM
porcia83
Banned

By the way this is not my first dealings with Hobbyking I have been ordering for years and spent alot of money there
Oh and I already own an armattan cf 355 and is my best flyer. Thumbs up for armattan. Chris "Rocks "and he is the best customer service I have ever come across.
Yup, I noted you had been dealing with them before, you've probably noted that for the most part you get what you want. It's odd that PP would say you paid, but HK said you had not. I thought the issue was on a back ordered item. I try to avoid the overseas WH just because of the long wait and shipping fees.

Good to hear about your armattan gear. I've heard nothing but raves about his stuff, but have never seen them, nor do I fly them. Another possible vendor for you depending on what you want, and where you are located:

http://www.altitudehobbies.com/

Run by a fellow hobbyist, great guy to deal with. Responsive to questions, a nice selection of stuff, and always ships within 24 hours. I love his Suppo line of stuff, but he seems to be more multi-rotor focused over the past two years.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:33 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Fact
Old 07-02-2015, 02:50 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hobby King is big, and typically you only hear from the complainers. Was the OP on here praising HK when life was good? No! So far I've spent $3163.02 on orders from HK and I'm a happy customer.

My Hobby King Giant Spitfire with all Hobby King servo's, Hobby King DM 55cc gas engine and HK retracts, 146 flights so far!

Skymaster F-18F with HK parts! Kingtech K-180 turbine.

See the air valves? Yes those are Hobby King! My air system holds air perfectly. Hobby King lights also.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	015b.jpg
Views:	1146
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	2106869   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.JPG
Views:	1256
Size:	761.5 KB
ID:	2106870   Click image for larger version

Name:	009c.jpg
Views:	1152
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	2106871  
Old 07-02-2015, 03:31 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus
Hobby King is big, and typically you only hear from the complainers. Was the OP on here praising HK when life was good? No! So far I've spent $3163.02 on orders from HK and I'm a happy customer.

My Hobby King Giant Spitfire with all Hobby King servo's, Hobby King DM 55cc gas engine and HK retracts, 146 flights so far!

See the air valves? Yes those are Hobby King! My air system holds air perfectly. Hobby King lights also.
Fact. And of course, if people come on to praise them or talk about anything positive, they are labeled as "shills" and asked if they work for them.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:38 AM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

My challenge build! FlyModel MSXR 50cc, All Hobby King equipment!!! Been test flying this to failure and she is so far the best flying plane I have.... Mechanically set perfect on linkages with no binding or loads, and servo's haven't failed me yet.....

Heck, I even sport the $49 wingbags! I am not ashamed!!!

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1120
Size:	2.43 MB
ID:	2106873  

Last edited by Dblex; 07-02-2015 at 03:41 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:42 AM
chopper52

Originally Posted by dionysusbacchus

Oh I see your Air Valves That's a joke..Haven't you heard of 3way air valves,you wont find them at hobbyKing!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2015, 04:43 AM
chopper52

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
hobbyking sucks-
You said it.....+1
Old 07-02-2015, 04:55 AM
crashmasterb

Well I still had to get one of my items from the international site yesterday the rest from surveilzone because this is a sick and addictive hobby and I may need RC rehab.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:57 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So don't buy from them and save us all the grief. If you know what your buying and how to work with them then they are no better or worse than many others. Granted they are not Horizon or Tower but they sell pretty much the same stuff and at a lower cost. I too stick only with the USA warehouses to save time and money( shipping)
Originally Posted by chopper52
You said it.....+1
Old 07-02-2015, 06:45 AM
dionysusbacchus
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chopper52
Oh I see your Air Valves That's a joke..Haven't you heard of 3way air valves,you wont find them at hobbyKing!!!!!!!
So my install is a joke to you, maybe you could fill me on on the 3 way air fill valves? Even complaining about someone else's toys, you are a grumpy old man!

This is the rest of my install, sorry if it is not up to your standard chopper, you know I live to please you, just tell me how you want it you dirty old man... xoxoxo

Name:	007b.jpg
Views:	1074
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	2106887  
Old 07-02-2015, 08:42 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by porcia83

The main guy that seems to deal with this stuff is named Rob. Here is a link to where he can be contacted.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=509946

Some basic rules (for me)when dealing with them (if you don't know), never buy anything that's low in stock. I go with anything under 10. Between hitting the order button and paying, it might go out of stock. I do that with any company that has low stock. It stands to reason they will charge you immediately, and once they checker/clerk goes to get the item, they discover the 3 on hand is now down to 0. I believe the HK site says they will hold up a whole order when something goes on backorder, I never get anything on backorder.

If there is a problem, I try live help first, then the ticket system. If not, then the CSR in NY. Worst case, use your CC or PP chargeback process, that's the thing that gets their attention immediately. Unfortunagely, they will typically not respond to PP (bad news), but in almost every instance I can recall, PP finds in your favor (good news). It just takes time.

Not sure what system you were looking at and what your budget was, but there is another guy on RCG that custom builds stuff and seems to have a great following. His name is Bopine, (Armattan Quads)

Good luck either way.
My basic rules for dealing with Headsup RC as an example (there are plenty of others for which this same process applies) are: Select the items I want, order them, Pay for them (and the $2.00 shipping), Wait two or three days for my stuff to arrive. Tough process eh? I once had a problem with an order from Tower so I called them. They were polite and fixed everything right over the phone immediately, not two or three weeks later.

Also, none of the companies I deal with need a another company to handle issues for them, they do it themselves in a friendly and straightforward manner that satisfies me, the customer.

Hobby King is the only online company I know of that is so screwed up they had to hire a third party to troubleshoot their screw-ups and even he has trouble fixing things more often than I would be comfortable with. He is only on one site that I am aware of and if you don't know that you are out of luck.

There are so many good companies that one can deal with, companies who's primary goal is customer satisfaction. Hobby Kings goal is finding ways to keep your money when they screw up no matter what without having to help you. It never ceases to amaze me that Hobby King is still in business.

And should anyone think this is a new problem, well........................ http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603500

Last edited by topspin; 07-02-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by topspin
My basic rules for dealing with Headsup RC as an example (there are plenty of others for which this same process applies) are: Select the items I want, order them, Pay for them (and the $2.00 shipping), Wait two or three days for my stuff to arrive. Tough process eh? I once had a problem with an order from Tower so I called them. They were polite and fixed everything right over the phone immediately, not two or three weeks later.

Also, none of the companies I deal with need a another company to handle issues for them, they do it themselves in a friendly and straightforward manner that satisfies me, the customer.

Hobby King is the only online company I know of that is so screwed up they had to hire a third party to troubleshoot their screw-ups and even he has trouble fixing things more often than I would be comfortable with. He is only on one site that I am aware of and if you don't know that you are out of luck.

There are so many good companies that one can deal with, companies who's primary goal is customer satisfaction. Hobby Kings goal is finding ways to keep your money when they screw up no matter what without having to help you. It never ceases to amaze me that Hobby King is still in business.

And should anyone think this is a new problem, well........................ http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603500
Great idea, and obviously the preferred way if dealing with any company. Alas, it is not to be, since they all make mistakes. Even the venerable Hobby Lobby has complaints against them, as does Horizon. And I know you love Heads UP Rc, i mean, who doesn't...but it's not exactly the same comparison. Think they are a 10th of the size of HK? No, doubtful. Who is this third party company you keep mentioning? They outsource some of their customer service functions....like many other companies do. Paypal does it...Ebay does it, the list is endless. It's a cost saving measure, but hardly unusual. I know it completely mystifies some people how HK is still in business, but if you look at the situation honestly and remove any preconceived or hard felt positions, it's abundantly clear why they are still in business. Because people like them, their product selection, their prices, and what they get. Even if there was a complaint "about every week", do you think that would even reflect the smallest most statistically insignificant amount of the overall business they do?

You are totally right about plenty of other places to use, there are tons of them. They all have their place.

Would you like to see HK completely out of business though? Is that the end game? Do you think the hobby would benefit from them being completely gone from the picture? For as many years as we've chatted about this company, I don't think I've ever asked that. Honest question.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:51 PM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Been buying Lipos and other parts from HobbyKing for about 4 yrs now. With over 20 orders I have never had an issue regardless of the warehouse they shipped from. I know others that have ordered as well and with the exception of some popular Lipos being out of stock, no one has a complaint about them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.