Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

What has happened to Hobbyking?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

What has happened to Hobbyking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 11:24 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

The down side is the more popular colors, like white, is only available from Hong Kong, so shipping is expensive. The upside is you get it all on one roll, order 4 rolls of white, you get one big roll. I ordered a 50cc header to try to make work on my Rascal and they had only one in stock, but got it in a week as promised. So far all my HK ordered have been filled and have not had any issues with them. Now that Hobby People is gone, its HK or Hobby Partz, who never has stock, as the only low cost solutions. There is always TH and HH, but they are expensive.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:50 PM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
The down side is the more popular colors, like white, is only available from Hong Kong, so shipping is expensive. The upside is you get it all on one roll, order 4 rolls of white, you get one big roll. I ordered a 50cc header to try to make work on my Rascal and they had only one in stock, but got it in a week as promised. So far all my HK ordered have been filled and have not had any issues with them. Now that Hobby People is gone, its HK or Hobby Partz, who never has stock, as the only low cost solutions. There is always TH and HH, but they are expensive.
True, Tower and Horizon are expensive, till you have a problem with something. Do you ever deal with Balsa Products? They are pretty good and if they don't have something in stock they can usually get it for you.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:14 PM
acdii

Haven't checked them out yet. The one thing I do not skimp on are servos. I stick mainly with Futaba 3004 and 3010 for my builds, and if I need higher torque, the Hitec 645MG have done well for me. Except for the Rascal I have yet found a need for a stronger server than what the three I usually get put out. It is also easier to get gears for them, and those I have replaced after a few mishaps. I have a couple others with busted gears that I can no longer find replacements for in JR and Hitec brands.

HK may have some good servos, but since I don't trust that I could get proper service, like I will with Tower, I don't buy them from HK. I did buy 10 MPI servos at Toledo last year, and had a 30% failure rate out of the box. MPI replaced them easy enough, sent them an email, they sent me shipping info, I sent them in, and they shipped out replacements, but it took 2 months start to finish. Thankfully no failures in flight, but did have a Hobby People servo fail on the elevator on a Somethin Xtra, in the up position. Was able to get the plane down without too much damage, and had to toss the servo. Replaced it with a Futaba.
Old 05-11-2017, 02:26 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

You can get Hitec gear sets here
https://www.servocity.com/servos/ser...ervo-gear-sets

Another of the few US based company that's great to work with

Good luck
Old 05-11-2017, 06:21 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

HobbyKing lipo and life batteries are the only ones I DON'T have problems with. I can't tell you how many Eflite/Magnum/some other brands except Pulse batteries have gone to the trash can after a very short time.

Also ordered a Riff Raff Sea Fury a while back and it came with two bad servos. Had two new servos within a week of the online chat.
Old 05-12-2017, 05:13 AM
acdii

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
You can get Hitec gear sets here
https://www.servocity.com/servos/ser...ervo-gear-sets

Another of the few US based company that's great to work with

Good luck
The one servo I need gears for is no longer produced, hasn't been for a while, so no gears are available anywhere for it. It's too bad they don't have universal gears for these, but then they wouldn't be unique then would they.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:22 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Which servo is that?
Old 05-13-2017, 07:17 AM
acdii

Not sure, I don't even know where I put it last year, or what plane it came out of. It's at least 15 years old or more.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:34 AM
topspin

So Hobby King no longer has their own forum, they closed it down in October last year. They now rely solely on the RCG forum to contact their trouble shooter in New York via PM. It has been said that their online chat and CS are not useful in resolving problems and that the only sure way to get help, short of a Pay Pal dispute, is to contact their New York office via PM on RCG. They also took any and all customer feedback out of their website and redesigned it in a way that is not user friendly. There is something very strange going on with that outfit.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:06 AM
acdii

The Chinese Government got wind of their indiscretions and collusion with Trump and decided to step in. Glad I got the covering when I did, the US warehouse has only 2 colors left in stock, otherwise its the more expensive option of shipping from overseas along with the longer wait time. Going to keep checking back and when they get white back in stock in the US, going to order a few rolls to have on hand. I really like their covering.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:57 PM
topspin

Originally Posted by acdii
The Chinese Government got wind of their indiscretions and collusion with Trump and decided to step in. Glad I got the covering when I did, the US warehouse has only 2 colors left in stock, otherwise its the more expensive option of shipping from overseas along with the longer wait time. Going to keep checking back and when they get white back in stock in the US, going to order a few rolls to have on hand. I really like their covering.
Solved your problem for you. In stock, cheap (and fast) shipping, real customer service, not lip service.

https://www.banggood.com/search/cove...e-0-0_p-1.html

Just call me rescue John. Ask anytime.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:38 PM
LDM
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey rescue John can you find the Solartex lol , love the stuff in natural ( unpainted ) and you can only get it now from HK Euro warehouse and they dont deliver to the USA .
You can see the coverite to the left and clear solartex on the right, the solartex is by far a better option for fabric covering.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0605.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	2217788  

Last edited by LDM; 05-29-2017 at 04:41 PM.