Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

New scammer/ maureen45

Old 07-09-2015, 07:39 AM
macanaw
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the offer email. It's a copy and paste of all the other offers this person has made.

Awesome...Thanks for your quick reply.Am glad it's available.I'm going on a business trip but I will instruct my assistant to prepare and mail your payment which I'm sure you will get in about 2-3 business days. I'll add $20 extra for the delay. I'll pay by Money Order or certified cashier check so send me your info (i.e full name, mailing address and your phone number) so payment can be mailed out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will be after you must have received and cashed the payment. Awaiting your info.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:48 AM
moparbarn

Originally Posted by macanaw
Here ya go. This is a text book scam,

Your payment has been sent but there is something i think i must bring to your notice. I just found out that my Assistant overpaid you. The payment meant for another item was made out in your name and sent to you. However I want to believe I wont have a problem with you on this. Once you receive the payment, Please proceed to the bank and cash the payment, deduct your money and send back the Balance to me through western union/money gram. So I can proceed with arrangement for pick-up. Once more, I hope I can fully trust you with this? I will await your response on this so my mind can be at ease.
"The rest of the story"! Scam city, tell 'em to take a hike & report them. I see 2 options, IF you actually ever get some sort of payment from them through the mail. 1: write VOID across both sides in magic marker & send it back 2: tear it up, throw it away & let them figure it out. If it just "disappears", you are not liable for anything & it should take them a while to recover the $. At least it will be a small hassle for the buttwipe & some devious satisfaction for you (-;.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:55 AM
ocrcdude
My Feedback: (179)

Yes I agree paying with Postal money orders is fine. I've paid that way. But I've never offered extra money. But I have a good rating here and other places. If you make the offer through the site it sends the buyer and seller addresses if I'm correct. You just have to be careful who you sell and buy from. Like someone said common sense is the way to do somethings.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:55 AM
61impalaron

I had a offer on a PA system and had them send me the check with extra money to cover the moving company they were going to send since they were in a different state. Sent me a check for over $2000 to cash as soon as possible. That was 3 months ago and have not heard a word from them. I call the credit union where the cashier's check come from, which they spelled wrong. The woman at the credit union, in Alaska and the person was from California, anyway she started laughing and told me to test up the check. Never heard of them. I'm keeping the check and the priority mail package they sent me. If they ever get ahold of me I can get them for mail Fraud. Federal offense.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:09 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, got a very similar response once. Laughable, love the language used. Can't believe anyone would fall for it.

Your payment has been sent but there is something i think i must bring to your notice. I just found out that my Assistant overpaid you. The payment meant for another item was made out in your name and sent to you. However I want to believe I wont have a problem with you on this. Once you receive the payment, Please proceed to the bank and cash the payment, deduct your money and send back the Balance to me through western union/money gram. So I can proceed with arrangement for pick-up. Once more, I hope I can fully trust you with this? I will await your response on this so my mind can be at ease.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:33 AM
ospreyhawk
My Feedback: (92)

This "person" has responded to several of my ads also. I immediately moved them to my block list. Is there any way to get them removed from RCU?
Old 07-09-2015, 10:08 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Same tyoe of scam over a year ago. I led them along and had them send me several letters by mail. Then turned it all over to the Post Office. Postal fraud is a federal offense and they take it seriously.

BTW, some places will cash those "money orders' (mine were actually MO receipts) and then come back at you when they can't collect. I took mine to a bank on which they were drawn (same company, different location) and told them I htought it was a scam. They verified it and told me if I had tried to cash them I would have been in trouble.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:31 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
They contacted me on my one ad as well. How do we report them to have the account removed?
You can send a message to our Marketplace Manager, John Neff (username JWN), with your report of the problem. He can take care of the scammer issue for you.

Ken
Old 07-09-2015, 12:03 PM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just want to know how I go about getting an assistant to handle my purchases for me. I could use a snickers right about now ... wonder if the convenient store takes western union.....

I'm surprised in the 20 or so years this scam has been run that they haven't ever improved on the language or made the story believable. I guess if it works as is, why try harder....
Old 07-09-2015, 01:43 PM
J.V.
My Feedback: (56)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He just tried to buy my buddies plane too, sent me the same email. I told him if he really wants the plane to come pick it up.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:00 PM
BobbyMcGee

Yeah, that never-ending, stupid assistant who overpays everyone. And it will be by hundreds or thousands of dollars!
Why doesn't someone fire her? Or does she just get another job with someone else, then do the same thing again and again. Won't that assistant ever learn!

Hahahaha
Old 07-09-2015, 03:50 PM
Bolshoi
My Feedback: (2)

[QUOTE=VF84sluggo;12067691]Kind of agree with Moparbarn here. Not saying at all that this isn't a scam. The cumbersome wording and offers of extra $$$ are red flags. I've had scammers hit on my ads here with crap just like this.

But, I've sold (and bought) many items on RCU with both PayPal and cashier's check...both as buyer and seller. Frankly, I was the least comfortable when the RCU seller would not take PayPal and insisted on a cashier's check/money order etc. The risk, IMO, was then all mine. I'm sending my money away, bones that are now gone from my account with really no way to get them back, hoping that the seller keeps their end of the deal.

At least with PayPal if the seller never delivered I'd have some recourse. Might be a long shot, but at least it was there. Thankfully to a person everyone I've actually done business with here on RCU has been a man of their word (with the exception of those couple of scammers...but I told them to take a hike, no money changed
Old 07-09-2015, 09:31 PM
ir3
My Feedback: (42)

Just out of curiosity since I also received such an offer. What is gained. Usually it is a purchase for which one never gets the funds. And if one does get the funds, there is always a sufficient waiting time to see if the funds clear. What is this scammer trying to do other than tie up one of our ads for a short time. There certainly can't be a way that the scammer gets to any of your accounts directly. Very odd. Perhaps this maureen45 has a few screws loose and this is a way to satisfy some weird compulsion.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:56 PM
macanaw

The short answer is this. The check they send you will bounce after you send them the western union or money-pak. Then you are out of pocket the amount you sent them.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:25 AM
MTIPilot
My Feedback: (121)

That Mrs Awiggens keeps overpaying everyone!
Old 07-13-2015, 02:40 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Originally Posted by superfli
This scam is an old one. They tried to pull this on me over 9 years ago. They tried to pay twice my asking price. I told them to show up at my door with US dollars in the exact amount of my asking price and I would hand them their airplane. Never heard from them again. If it sounds to good to be true, IT IS!
This person contacted me twice via email on RCU. I knew it was a scam, seen the same language before. I did reple to this person, told them it was a Scam, never heard back and do not want to.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:00 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

maureen45 has been banned

In the future, for the fastest response, please use the Report Ad to Moderator link found in every ad instead of posting in the forums.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:28 AM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=JWN;12069509]maureen45 has been banned

In the future, for the fastest response, please use the Report Ad to Moderator link found in every ad instead of posting in the forums.[/QUOTE

I would think posting in both places would be the most effective-in case there is a transaction taking place before your able to ban for whatever reason-When these scams are happening the more people that know should result in less people being ripped off.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:53 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Fair enough, but keep in mind our marketplace staff do not monitor the forums for problems in the marketplace. At a bare minimum, please use the appropriate tools provided to report a problem for the fastest response by our staff. We received a grand total of 1 report through the marketplace and that came several days after the posts in question by "Maureen45" had been made.

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
I would think posting in both places would be the most effective-in case there is a transaction taking place before your able to ban for whatever reason-When these scams are happening the more people that know should result in less people being ripped off.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:20 PM
macanaw

HAHA, this moron keeps trying, so silly.

Hello,
How are you today,I will like to know if you have receive the check today or not,If you have receive it want you to mail me as soon as you receive it.Kindly get back to me asap.
My regards.
Maureen
Old 07-16-2015, 03:23 PM
JWN
Community Moderators

Which ad?
Please use the Report Ad to Moderator link in your ad so we can identify the offending account and ban it.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:49 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

HAHA, this moron keeps trying, so silly.

Hello,
How are you today,I will like to know if you have receive the check today or not,If you have receive it want you to mail me as soon as you receive it.Kindly get back to me asap.
My regards.
Maureen
If you "reply" to them, they now have your email address,,

Typical Nigerian scammer text,, just ignore and delete it,, they'll move on if you stop replying
Old 08-06-2015, 10:31 AM
macanaw

OMG, this idiot keeps trying. I figured after ignoring the twit for a while that they'd go away but yesterday a bogus check and a flood of email arrive.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0659.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	2113050  
Old 08-06-2015, 10:55 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

They never give up. If they only have a 5% success rate of scamming people they are making money and considering themselves successful. So they keep sending them out like that. While we here are on to them, they will eventually find another mark how will fall for the scam and send in the money. It's sad really that there are people that still fall for this shill.

Ken
Old 08-06-2015, 10:58 AM
macanaw

Final email from me

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	final.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	2113054  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.