Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

More idiot quad copter flyers hinder California fire fighters

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

More idiot quad copter flyers hinder California fire fighters

Old 08-03-2015, 10:50 AM
catboater
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another incident at JFK this weekend. Report I heard said the FAA is saying there are a reported 2 incidents a week near commercial airports.
This is getting totally out of control.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:09 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll wager that all the DRONE haters are also anti gun nuts. It's not the AMA nor it's members flying these QUADS in the vicinity of full scale air craft. U all talk like stupid Politicians that would use a cannon to kill a fly instead a fly swatter. Let's concentrate on the real problem which is not regular R/C planes, helis nor Quads flown where they should be.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:25 AM
catboater

Not a gun hater at all. Avid ex-waterfowler and competition trap shooter, so be careful with such a sweeping generalization.
Come to think of it, a hot drone with good pilot would be great fun for shotgunners. A new genre - Sporting Drones.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:19 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by catboater
Another incident at JFK this weekend. Report I heard said the FAA is saying there are a reported 2 incidents a week near commercial airports.
This is getting totally out of control.
You mentioned sweeping generalizations in your last quote.....

There are about 85,000 flights in the US everyday, about 64 million takeoffs and landings a year (http://sos.noaa.gov/Datasets/dataset.php?id=44). Lets say you don't like the number and cut them in half, so say 30 million. Now juxtapose that to the annual reports of "drones" being sighted by aircraft, no hard and fast number but it's less than 50 (at least reported). Not one of those "drone" sightings was confirmed and the perp caught.

This doesn't appear to be an epidemic, nor "out of control". Saying that just sensationalizes it, like the people did last year saying the FAA was going to shut down modeling as we know it, and that didn't happen either.

Some context is needed, and based on the numbers alone, it's a tiny statistically negligible percentage. That being said, there shouldn't be any of these incidents to report if people used some common sense.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:20 PM
Duncman

Wow, I didn't think I hated Drones, certainly don't hate guns, but maybe I do if I would like to see something done about irresponsible Drone use. Porcia83 posting is likely accurate numbers and I agree that Drone incidents in the big picture are not indicative of an epidemic, but that being said, if one airliner comes crashing down and killing huge numbers of souls and they lay blame on the Drone, then see what happens next. Every element of the RC Aircraft Hobby will be scrutinized and regulated to near extinction. Maybe I'm over exaggerating somewhat but frankly I don't want to see those waters tested. Exaggeration or not, the Hobby will fundamentally change forever.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:30 PM
porcia83
Banned

The hobby changes continually, what we see now is probably nothing close to what we will see 10 years from now. The hobby has to adapt, as does the govt (both state and federal). We can adapt a heck of a lot faster than the govt can. State and local govt usually are reactive, and will set in motion sweeping changes that normally "ban" things. Federal govt takes longer..plodding along, special interests etc. I'm not convinced that when these things happen the public immediately ties them into the AMA or us. That's one of the reasons why I completely disagree with another posters suggestions that every time there is a news report about these things, the AMA should issue a press release distancing ourselves. That would be a PR disaster I think, any only further help to associate ourselves with those outlaws. The AMA has made their position known on the issue, and I suspect we do the same thing every time someone talks to us about it as well.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:28 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
I'll wager that all the DRONE haters are also anti gun nuts. It's not the AMA nor it's members flying these QUADS in the vicinity of full scale air craft. U all talk like stupid Politicians that would use a cannon to kill a fly instead a fly swatter. Let's concentrate on the real problem which is not regular R/C planes, helis nor Quads flown where they should be.
I'll take that bet. Haven't you seen the number of Quads that have been shot down? Shotguns do a great job. And public opinion polls support shooting the things down.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:31 PM
rgburrill

Originally Posted by catboater
Not a gun hater at all. Avid ex-waterfowler and competition trap shooter, so be careful with such a sweeping generalization.
Come to think of it, a hot drone with good pilot would be great fun for shotgunners. A new genre - Sporting Drones.
Wasn't something like that done on Star Wars?
Seriously though, I think their are youtube videos about shooting down drones (the cheapy ones) at controlled ranges.
Old 08-03-2015, 02:47 PM
rgburrill

Originally Posted by porcia83
You mentioned sweeping generalizations in your last quote.....

There are about 85,000 flights in the US everyday, about 64 million takeoffs and landings a year (http://sos.noaa.gov/Datasets/dataset.php?id=44). Lets say you don't like the number and cut them in half, so say 30 million. Now juxtapose that to the annual reports of "drones" being sighted by aircraft, no hard and fast number but it's less than 50 (at least reported). Not one of those "drone" sightings was confirmed and the perp caught.

This doesn't appear to be an epidemic, nor "out of control". Saying that just sensationalizes it, like the people did last year saying the FAA was going to shut down modeling as we know it, and that didn't happen either.

Some context is needed, and based on the numbers alone, it's a tiny statistically negligible percentage. That being said, there shouldn't be any of these incidents to report if people used some common sense.
If you only knew what a "tiny negligible percentage" when it comes to aircraft safety and human lives was to the FAA. To use your larger numbers there are around 32 milllion landings a year. A Category III instrument landing is the worst case visibility landing a pilot can make. At that many landings per year FAA approved Cat III equipment has to insure that not more than 1 failure or even distorted data that isn't caught by that equipment will occur in 32,000 years.

Apparently you don't care about other people. Apparently they do.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:32 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

if all this is true about drones obama would would have stopped it all
Old 08-03-2015, 04:11 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by rgburrill
I'll take that bet. Haven't you seen the number of Quads that have been shot down? Shotguns do a great job. And public opinion polls support shooting the things down.
I say again .... Let's concentrate on the real problem which is not regular R/C planes, helis nor Quads flown where they should be.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:50 PM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

I'm with HoundDog,. The AMA is paid to be our voice, haven't heard them take any position?

AMA IS ACTING LIKE CONGRESS!!! (Draw your conclusions)
Old 08-03-2015, 09:01 PM
warningshot

Originally Posted by HoundDog
How do you know that the people flying the Quads are not AMA members? Prove it or quit saying it. You sir are one of the reasons that the public has such a bad taste for drones.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:46 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (1)

you cant tell me that the drones cant be knocked out of the sky have the helies swoop down on them take them out the planes can drop there stuff right on top of the drones have a cop with a 12 gauge shotgun pull up close to the drone shot the thing down lots of ways to get rid of the drones besides just talk talk talk
Old 08-04-2015, 05:15 AM
porcia83
Banned

If you only knew what a "tiny negligible percentage" when it comes to aircraft safety and human lives was to the FAA. To use your larger numbers there are around 32 milllion landings a year. A Category III instrument landing is the worst case visibility landing a pilot can make. At that many landings per year FAA approved Cat III equipment has to insure that not more than 1 failure or even distorted data that isn't caught by that equipment will occur in 32,000 years.

Apparently you don't care about other people. Apparently they do.
yes, that's exactly what I was trying to say, I don't care about people. Precisely!

Geez....I figured at least one person would take what I wrote out of context. The numbers were in response to a comment that this issue is "out of control", as it there's a deluge of these sightings going on. The numbers don't lie, and they aren't based on emotion. How you got that I don't care about people from actual stats is beyond me. Even one sighting is one more than should be. It's probably dumb luck that something has happened yet, and although I don't think I need to say it...but will for clarity sake, I hope nothing ever does.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:17 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
I'm with HoundDog,. The AMA is paid to be our voice, haven't heard them take any position?

AMA IS ACTING LIKE CONGRESS!!! (Draw your conclusions)
If you haven't heard their position, you haven't been listening. You can say over and over that they haven't done anything, but that doesn't make it so. In this case their position has been noted all over the place. Start with the MA mag, then try their website...the USA op ed....etc etc etc.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:20 AM
porcia83
Banned

Wasn't something like that done on Star Wars?
Seriously though, I think their are youtube videos about shooting down drones (the cheapy ones) at controlled ranges.
Yup, they are out there. Most of the videos show the flying wings, the kind Trappy used. I also read an article this past week, I think from the NY Post, about a program already in place to take these out from a distance. Dark Star, Dark Prong, something like that. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Found it:

http://nypost.com/2015/07/25/militar...rone-scenario/
Old 08-04-2015, 05:32 AM
catboater

Actually my info was incorrect. The FAA is reporting 2 sightings a day.
Old 08-04-2015, 06:55 AM
porcia83
Banned

Source?
Old 08-05-2015, 04:21 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
you cant tell me that the drones cant be knocked out of the sky have the helies swoop down on them take them out the planes can drop there stuff right on top of the drones have a cop with a 12 gauge shotgun pull up close to the drone shot the thing down lots of ways to get rid of the drones besides just talk talk talk
Sure you can knock them down,, when you know they're coming, so you plan is to have Cops with shot guns and Helicopters scanning the skies everywhere??

What you think would be the most secure place on earth,, the White House, a guy jumps the fence and actually gets in the building. Why wasn't he blown away as soon as he cleared the fence? Someone really wants to hit a hard or soft target, they will, you can't stop everything bad.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:37 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/aug...e-for-upcomin/