Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

rc airplane without ailerons

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

rc airplane without ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 08:58 PM
thenewguy101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rc airplane without ailerons

I was wondering if I can make my rc airplane without any ailerons, I will have a functioning rudder and elevator. This is my first airplane It's going to be more of a experimental flight and I believe it will only go less then 30 feet high
Old 08-04-2015, 03:26 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you are very new to model planes. Direct answer, yes you do not require ailerons if (and very big if) the design is correct. This usually means that you have some other means for lateral stability, dihedral being one of them. Also proper tail area and CG placement. Not very likely that a newcomer will be able to do this in their own design but; if you find some old plans and build per them you can. As to how high it will go, that will be limited to many things to numerous to mention here but do not count on it not going higher than 30 feet if it flys at all. Back in the old days, most RC was rudder only (no elevator or ailerons or throttle control). These were mostly modified free flight models.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:34 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thenewguy101
I was wondering if I can make my rc airplane without any ailerons, I will have a functioning rudder and elevator. This is my first airplane It's going to be more of a experimental flight and I believe it will only go less then 30 feet high
Yup, totally possible. Lots of RC planes out there now with only rudder/elevator. Have fun experimenting with your build.
Old 08-04-2015, 09:47 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

As you are just begining I would suggest you go with a tried and true design and obtain help from experianced folks! As only obtaining 30 ft.????? Just get some experiance and then go have fun with what ever you desire in the way of personel design.
Going it alone usually doesn't work well!

Good luck and welcome.
Old 08-05-2015, 03:28 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Asking questions of a group like this tells me that you are interested in learning about building and design. You understand obviously the learning curve can be shortened by using experienced resources like other builders. Go one step further and do like has been suggested. Build a proven kit. It will teach you all about the glues, the fit and finish of the parts of the model and not only will you gain a ton of experience but your first attempt is more likely to be a success at flying once built.

Dennis
Old 08-05-2015, 05:55 PM
thenewguy101

I had build 2 balsa models before from guillows rubber powerd, i am a aircraft mechanic trying to get my license, now im trying to work on rc trying to get experience on that.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:20 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had build 2 balsa models before from guillows rubber powerd, i am a aircraft mechanic trying to get my license, now im trying to work on rc trying to get experience on that.
Propworn's advice is still sound. The Guillows models are OK, but not designed for RC usage.

Building a few kits, designed for RC should provide you a basis for understanding the basics of construction and design.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:14 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Here's the thing I have a friend who went through the AME program. Started with piston poppers at the Windsor Airport, got hired and trained on corporate jets at Pearson (Exec Air) I believe. Then he worked as chief mechanic for a private owner and now teaches at Bombardier. He is also a scale modeler and in all the time I have known him he has always complained he never had the spare time to build, fly and design his models. Work and family always came first. There were times when he was so swamped if it hadn’t been for a few modeling friends he may have left the hobby. In fact at this moment I have tuned his gas motor to run on Coleman Camp Fuel. He doesn’t like the smell of gas and doesn’t have the experience to do this. Even though it’s not hard he has no time. It’s going in a giant scale Chipmonk he has worked on over the last 5 or 6 years. It will be his first new plane in all that time.

If you do not have a certain amount of success it is easy to loose the passion for the hobby. Not only Building a proven kit gives you the methods of proper construction but the finished kit should fly well and you will learn to fly with it. When you are comfortable with your building skills and tackle that design you have in your head you should have enough flying experience to be able to figure out and trouble shoot your design successfully. Trying to build a new design then not knowing how it’s supposed to feel and fly is a sure path to disappointment and frustration.

Just trying to help.

Dennis