Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Building Nitro is Dead!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 10:04 AM
RC_Fanatic
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building Nitro is Dead!

Need a motor mount for an OS 120AX. Went to Tower to search motor mounts. The only nitro one was the Dubro isolation mount. But there must have been a hundred mounts for all sizes of electrics. Horizon also had almost no mounts for anything but electrics.

So where do you get accessories for nitro engines?
Old 08-19-2015, 11:08 AM
catboater
My Feedback: (51)

You must have missed these.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=GMH&V=GPM
Old 08-19-2015, 11:08 AM
catboater
My Feedback: (51)

You must have missed these.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...SM&C=GMH&V=GPM
Old 08-19-2015, 11:23 AM
RC_Fanatic

That's what I was looking for but did not come up when I searched before. Just now when I searched on "Great Planes Motor Mounts", none of the nitro mounts came up. Only the electrics appear. Oh well, I'm somewhat relieved.

Time to place an order.
Old 08-19-2015, 11:28 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can post a "wanted" thread on here too...no doubt someone on here will have what you are looking for!
Old 08-19-2015, 11:52 AM
RC_Fanatic

Hmm. It seems that "motor mounts" are for electrics and "engine mounts" are for gas & nitro. Technically correct but search engines should look for both types no matter which term you use. As for a "wanted" ad, it would probably cost more for shipping than getting the part from Tower since I have other parts to get.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:15 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Yup..probably. I don't find Tower's site the easiest to navigate either. Didn't Horizon sell this line too?
Old 08-19-2015, 12:30 PM
RC_Fanatic

Originally Posted by porcia83
Yup..probably. I don't find Tower's site the easiest to navigate either. Didn't Horizon sell this line too?
I didn't have much luck on Horizon either. I was looking for the GP mounts because I like the way they fit together. I've had good luck with them in the past. I also have a long Tower wish list to make up to a $$ amount to get a good discount.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:51 PM
castlebravo

I guess if you didn't want to go to "The Evil Empire" or the "Slightly Less Evil Empire".......you could go here.......

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...esF.html?E+Sig

CB
Old 08-19-2015, 01:23 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This one has always worked for me. http://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Def...ProdID=HAN2033
Old 08-19-2015, 01:56 PM
RC_Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeffEE
I used one like that before and found that, over time, the washers would deform and the motor would move. I prefer something I can drill and tap.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:04 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
I used one like that before and found that, over time, the washers would deform and the motor would move. I prefer something I can drill and tap.
New, super easy, one size fits all, no drilling, etc. doesn't always mean better. What it means is they can sell more and stock fewer products.

Give me a one piece mount that fits the engine and allows me to drill and tap at the exact position I need any day. But they're getting harder to find.

Dave
Old 08-19-2015, 04:35 PM
shooboy
My Feedback: (52)

I think I have about 40 to 50 nitro mounts sitting in storage drawers around my shop. Might be time to list some for sale.....Shoo
Old 08-19-2015, 05:05 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Dave Brown mounts here:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...RCH=dave+brown
Old 08-19-2015, 05:30 PM
RC_Fanatic

Thanks to all. I wish I were getting as many responses to my questions in the Aquila thread in the Pattern planes forum! That's what started this one as I need a motor mount for the 120AX I got as part of the deal.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:44 PM
KC Air

Originally Posted by shooboy
I think I have about 40 to 50 nitro mounts sitting in storage drawers around my shop. Might be time to list some for sale.....Shoo
whats up Shoo? did you sell that Beast in about a minute? that was a killer deal
Old 08-20-2015, 06:03 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the O.S. mount:

OSMG2765 71904200 MTR MNT 120AX/FS200S US$47.99 (MSRP)

These parts can be ordered through any hobby retailer who sells O.S. Max engines and accessories.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:28 AM
rmossesq
My Feedback: (295)

Nitro stuff is getting harder and harder to find - at least locally. Lets be honest, I bet most RCers today have never had a Nitro plane, and many have never even seen one. I had a club member admit that he had never seen a wood model before and didn't know that we use to make fuse's out of fiberglass in the 70's and 80's (He said he didn't think one would fly - too heavy). Some stuff simply isn't available at all. Ask for a "J Bolt" at your local hobby shop and check out the look on the guy behind the counters face (Just for the record, you use them to hold on wire landing gear - now guys usually use "Straps"). Remarkably one of the hardest things to get out here is fuel proof paint. Due to environmental concerns most of the brands cannot be imported into the state anymore. I fly mostly electric like most everyone else, but I build a lot still and always build for nitro or gas. Frankly, scrounging up the stuff or making the part (Or even reconditioning and using an old one) is part of the satisfaction of building to me. I try to make everything that I can now a days - I am not in any hurry to get done anymore. Most things are simple and you can make something that works in your shop faster than you can order it. Of course some things are better just store bought - like engine mounts now that I think of it. Incidentally I have an Ernst Adjustable Mount that I bought in 1978 that I still recycle into planes. It is still solid - I think Mecoa makes them now. I have seen plastic copies on ebay. They are expensive but they are solid and you don't have to do any drilling. Happy landings!
Old 08-20-2015, 11:03 AM
Bill Lowen

I like that the electrics are getting popular and that more and more people are going electric. It makes 4 stroke nitros even cheaper. I picked up a OS 56a 4S from my LHS last month. $199 brand new. what a deal! Sure electric may be convenient but how do you beat the growl of a 4S as it rotates into flight??
Old 08-20-2015, 11:15 AM
KC Air

Originally Posted by Bill Lowen
I like that the electrics are getting popular and that more and more people are going electric. It makes 4 stroke nitros even cheaper. I picked up a OS 56a 4S from my LHS last month. $199 brand new. what a deal! Sure electric may be convenient but how do you beat the growl of a 4S as it rotates into flight??
The sound and the smell are enough for me to know I will always have a glow plane or six... I wont rule out electrics entirely, but the next few planes on my list are all glow or gas
Old 08-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Bill Lowen

Originally Posted by KC Air
The sound and the smell are enough for me to know I will always have a glow plane or six... I wont rule out electrics entirely, but the next few planes on my list are all glow or gas
Amen.. plus there is something about cleaning up a nitro plane after a day's worth of flying. Some guys don't like it, but it gives me a feeling of satisfaction for some reason.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:57 PM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Lowen
Amen.. plus there is something about cleaning up a nitro plane after a day's worth of flying. Some guys don't like it, but it gives me a feeling of satisfaction for some reason.
The satisfaction is the fact you are able to clean you plane off, not picking it off the feild in peaces.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:20 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have found with my electrics I never seem to post-flight it just throw it in the truck and bring it out the next day....with glow powered planes I have to wipe it down, and in so doing I'm looking for broken clevis, lose bolts, etc. Am I the only one who does it this way????

Jerry
Old 08-20-2015, 03:06 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
Thanks to all. I wish I were getting as many responses to my questions in the Aquila thread in the Pattern planes forum! That's what started this one as I need a motor mount for the 120AX I got as part of the deal.
I have a 120AX in my Epsilon. I used the Great Planes adjustable engine mount. I don't remember if it was the 60-120 or the 120-160, I think it was the latter. I prefer one piece mounts but it fit the firewall bolt pattern that was originally set up for a 91FX. Made for an easy upgrade.

Great engine, by the way!

Dave
Old 08-20-2015, 04:00 PM
RC_Fanatic

Thanks, Dave. I found a GP 120-160 mount. Looks super sturdy so will use that. The guy I bought the plane from could not find the mount he used and nothing else I can find matches the pattern. Not a big deal. I've done this before.
Do you have a pipe on your Epsilon?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.