Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Please tell me that the newbie pilot nervousness eventually goes away.

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Please tell me that the newbie pilot nervousness eventually goes away.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 11:29 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Please tell me that the newbie pilot nervousness eventually goes away.

I'm 61 now and I came back into the hobby after an 8 year absence. When I left the hobby 8 years ago I had always enjoyed years of building glo powered planes, but when I flew them it was very infrequently and just about always on a buddy box. (ie; otherwise attempts to solo on my own always resulted in crashed planes and repairs). I had now spent the last few weeks practicing on a Realflight simulator. Well, yesterday I maidened my first 40" electric park flier twice on my own with my old JR8103. I took it up twice and landed it twice....the first flight was 4 minutes, and the 2nd flight was 2 minutes. My hands were trembling so bad, that it looked like I had a palsey, and it was literally hard for me to control the sticks due to the shaking!

Is it just me, or does this nervousness go away with more time and experience? Or are there just some folks out there who just never adapt and relax with the flying aspect of RC, and I could be one of them. (??) LOL Tell me it ain't so.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:05 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It ain't so...mostly. I've only been flying for about 6 years, but I get nervous when flying in front of a crowd. Maidened my friends giant Carbon Z this weekend and the other members stopped flying to let me have the field. Heart started pounding when I took off..even worse when I had a huge loss of power at about 100 feet. Had to turn it around and belly land it.

Might help if you have a flying buddy next to you to "spot" just in case.

Good luck, and welcome back.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:51 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Well, it does go away,, I've been flying for almost 40 years,, last weekend I wasn't nervous at all,, finally
Old 08-31-2015, 04:24 PM
rustyrivet

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me
Well, it does go away,, I've been flying for almost 40 years,, last weekend I wasn't nervous at all,, finally
Ok then ....let's see......ummmm.......you finally didn't get nervous last weekend after 40 years. So then; if my scenario is to be similar to your scenario, I do simple math and add 40 years to my current age of 61, and my "finally wasn't nervous last weekend" will occur when I'm 101 years old. That's encouraging. Thanks.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:42 PM
rustyrivet

Originally Posted by porcia83
It ain't so...mostly. I've only been flying for about 6 years, but I get nervous when flying in front of a crowd. Maidened my friends giant Carbon Z this weekend and the other members stopped flying to let me have the field. Heart started pounding when I took off..even worse when I had a huge loss of power at about 100 feet. Had to turn it around and belly land it.

Might help if you have a flying buddy next to you to "spot" just in case.

Good luck, and welcome back.
Never mind a crowd! LOL. I go where it's isolated and there's not a single soul or a random drive-by spectator who may stop what they are doing, and walk up and watch me the whole time like I'm there doing a show. It's funny how strangers wouldn't think of walking up on the green to watch you play golf, or they wouldn't stop in the street and stare at you while you mow your grass, but soloing a plane is a real regular Barnum & Bailey exhibition! LOL
Old 08-31-2015, 06:25 PM
grotto2
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always maintained that unless you're scaring yourself at least once during a flight, you're not really flying RC.

Another way of looking at it is that if you're completely relaxed during a flight, you aren't really pushing your skill limit, and thus you have stopped learning.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:05 PM
rustyrivet

Originally Posted by grotto2
I've always maintained that unless you're scaring yourself at least once during a flight, you're not really flying RC.

Another way of looking at it is that if you're completely relaxed during a flight, you aren't really pushing your skill limit, and thus you have stopped learning.
Different strokes for different folks....as right now I'd gladly just settle for the option of being able to calmly be flying a 78" Kadet on a Sunday afternoon doing a loop or two if I choose. Right now I can't do that if I wanted with the way my hands shake. I don't know if my extreme nervousness is something normal for a lot of folks that becomes less obvious with each trip to the field. I hope I'm not just a nervous old guy who will never get comfortable flying. I'd take comfort in hearing from others that they were the same way and it's normal.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:16 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by rustyrivet
Different strokes for different folks....as right now I'd gladly just settle for the option of being able to calmly be flying a 78" Kadet on a Sunday afternoon doing a loop or two if I choose. Right now I can't do that if I wanted with the way my hands shake. I don't know if my extreme nervousness is something normal for a lot of folks that becomes less obvious with each trip to the field. I hope I'm not just a nervous old guy who will never get comfortable flying. I'd take comfort in hearing from others that they were the same way and it's normal.
Take a couple of shots of Bourbon or other adult beverage, it may take the edge off..!!! And if you crash, I'd drink 2 or 12 more....LoL..!!! Hell if I flew an RC Paper Plane I still get jittery as well, $2000 bird or $20.00 bird, I sill shake a little and get tight. Now that I think of it, where did I put that bottle of Jack at....
Old 08-31-2015, 08:32 PM
rkimmerle

Fly, Fly Fly. The more you fly the better it will get. It may never go away and that's fine. You know you are alive at least. It also helps to fly a plane that you truly don't care if you crashed. Get a cheap plane and have fun.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:00 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Worry about crashing and you get nervous...and it can be a self fulfilling prophecy...the more nervous you get, and uptight...etc. the more liable you are to make a mistake.

I try to tell students to relax, if possible...and remember that it's supposed to be fun...aye!?

Over-controlling is one of the main problems...

Plane set-up is another...try to make sure the C.G. is right...and you have the proper amount of control surface deflection (not too much...not too little) and take some deep breaths and try to relax a bit...have fun with it...you are not in it...so you won't die if it crashes...(unless maybe if you crash into yourself, but we won't go there, huh?)

I started flying R/C 40+ years ago, and if I haven't flown for a while, I get a little anxious...or if I'm doing a demo flight.
The more I fly the more relaxed it becomes...more natural feeling...muscle memory...reflex...instincts...etc...all of these things will be tuned and become more natural, the more you do it.

Last edited by proptop; 08-31-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:12 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyrivet
Ok then ....let's see......ummmm.......you finally didn't get nervous last weekend after 40 years. So then; if my scenario is to be similar to your scenario, I do simple math and add 40 years to my current age of 61, and my "finally wasn't nervous last weekend" will occur when I'm 101 years old. That's encouraging. Thanks.

Always good to have something to look forward to,,

Seriously though, I'm always a little nervous with a new plane during the maiden, but in general, never to the point you describe. I can't remember how far back but at some point I stopped having to think about what I was doing, the flying came natural. So I guess that was when it stopped. I'm sure it's different for everyone..

good luck
Old 09-01-2015, 06:42 AM
wnewbury

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So much depends on the airplane. Some are so much easier to fly than others. Purchase price and difficulty of building the plane matters also.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:27 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I have been flying RC since 1950. My hands dont shake anymore but my knees? I have learned to take a chair out and sit to fly so I don't fall over
Old 09-01-2015, 07:44 AM
rustyrivet

Originally Posted by wnewbury
So much depends on the airplane. Some are so much easier to fly than others. Purchase price and difficulty of building the plane matters also.
Yes, I finally figured that out! I learned after 20 years of building planes and really enjoying that phase of the hobby, that I don't want to go out and fly my plane that I put many months of my time and fussing into building. I still have the first stick Sig Seniorita plane that I built 20 years ago. Back in the day (before ARF's) they called those planes "beginner's planes". Really? ......beginner's plane my foot!!! LOL You don't ever want to crash a kit plane that took you months to build! Thank goodness many Kadet style "beginner" planes are now available in ARF's. This time for my solo maiden I purposely built my first electric ARF, and I kept it as simple and cheap as possible. (It's a HobbyKing Skymaster ARF.....$106 shipped from off of Ebay)

From what I'm gathering here on this thread, most guys get nervous when they are flying a new plane, especially a plane they have much time and/or money sunk into, or if they are the focus with everybody watching them. I'm now thinking that most every experienced pilot has planes that they feel comfortable with that doesn't hardly make them nervous to fly on a lazy Sunday afternoon any more. Hopefully by my 20th trip out to the field with this ARF electric plane, I'll be at ease too.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:52 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Learn to fly a helicopter and being nervous will be a thing of the past.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:40 AM
Andy_S

The best cure for my nervousness and anxiety is knowledge of my equipment and confidence in my skills. Practice simple things like flying a line as straight and level as possible, a discipline that the pros practice their entire competitive careers. As a maneuver, flying a scale like straight line is essentially remaining calm (confident) while giving minimal input to a well setup and preflighted plane (knowledge).

Then I build on that enjoyable stress free maneuver and approach more difficult phases of flight in the same manner.

Last edited by Andy_S; 09-01-2015 at 08:46 AM. Reason: last line
Old 09-01-2015, 09:13 AM
BrightGarden

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Build a few flitetest.com foamies. Cheap, very capable, less inherent risk of crash. Many people attest to the lack of crashing them. Then, just warm up with one of them before flying your other builds.
Old 09-01-2015, 11:05 AM
P-39 fan

For what it is worth, the root cause of some pilots being being nervous while flying a RC plane is lack of confidence in their abilities to get the plane to do what they want it to do. Many times their mind is 5 feet behind what the plane is actually doing. Thus,they get in the ole act, react, act, react crash mode. My suggestion is to put a flight pattern in your mind before you take off. Your muscles will then react naturally to your mind inputs without worrying about what's coming next. A simple pattern might be takeoff, 90 degree turn to the left, followed by another 90 turn to the left to be on down wind. Work the trims on down wind so that you are not fighting the plane, then a turn to the original take off heading. Finally, fly,fly,fly a lot within a short period of time so that you are not relearning the same thing over and over again. The nerves will finally go away.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:03 PM
jetmaven

Nervousness decreases exponentially in relation to the amount of fuel you burn .
Just fly it .
Old 09-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Rob2160

It does go away...

The irony is, when its gone completely the flying gets boring.

I flew RC for over 20 years and had a long break because there was no excitement in it anymore. Came back to the Hobby 5 years ago and started with RC Helicopters. My hands would be shaking after every flight in the beginning and it was great!.

I think the key is to progress very slowly, do simple exercises until you are not nervous then add something new and repeat the process.

The hardest thing I have ever done in this hobby is hover a helicopter inverted below head height. Learning to do that gave me more adrenalin rushes than anything else I have done in my life.

All of the previous poster's advice is good, having several inexpensive models helps.

Good luck and remember to enjoy learning phase which I think is the best part.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:46 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I started flying in 1973.
Many years later, whenever I maiden a new plane, I get the exact same feeling as I did the first time.
It's why I love RC so much...makes me feel young again
Old 09-01-2015, 05:00 PM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Yes, the unease eventually goes away.

Even the maiden flight of an expensive and long term build doesn't give me the willies like I used to get every day when I was a newb. It's all about how confident you are in your abilities. When you get comfortable with your plane, the willies will go away. Then you move to a more advanced airplane and it'll scare you. You'll master that one. It's incremental. Eventually, you'll reach the point that even maiden flights don't scare you, you know you have the skills. Either it'll fly or it won't. You'll be the master of your realm, and in most cases, everything will be fine.

It just takes time.

Dave
Old 09-02-2015, 04:54 AM
cessnaflyer54
My Feedback: (68)

The more you use the simulator the better it will be and remember....your not going to die if you crash!!
Old 09-02-2015, 05:18 AM
Granpooba
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Being nervous will eventually subside. But being a little nervous always seems to also help. I have found that folks that are a little nervous have a tendency to pay more attention to what they are doing.

I " personally " think that no matter your level of ability, the nervous factor is figured in their some place.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:51 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Best advice I was given when I started flying 45 years ago was "Don't fall in love with your plane", it has an expiration date just like everything else. Over the years I have seen many come and go, those who can't stand the thought of losing their baby are the nervous ones.
Larry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.