Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

We all Saw This Comming

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 06:49 AM
topspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default We all Saw This Comming

Looks like the Fed is cracking down on drones and the plan is to make everyone register them. All because of a few idiots who just cant seem to operate them in a safe manner. How stupid do you have to be to fly any model aircraft in close proximity to a real aircraft? My concerns are that this may spill over to fixed wing RC models as well and if it does I will get out of the hobby entirely.

Also, I have a Horizon Blade Nano QX that I won at a fly in. It is tiny and it does not have video or autonomy, it must be controlled at all times so I'm not even sure you could call it a drone.

Anyway, if this does flash over to fixed wing RC someone is going to get some really good deals on all of my RC stuff.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:41 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please read the FAA statement and watch their "know before you fly" video before getting upset.
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...AS_Summary.pdf

Last edited by larry@coyotenet; 10-20-2015 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-20-2015, 12:11 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by topspin
Looks like the Fed is cracking down on drones and the plan is to make everyone register them. All because of a few idiots who just cant seem to operate them in a safe manner. How stupid do you have to be to fly any model aircraft in close proximity to a real aircraft? My concerns are that this may spill over to fixed wing RC models as well and if it does I will get out of the hobby entirely.

Also, I have a Horizon Blade Nano QX that I won at a fly in. It is tiny and it does not have video or autonomy, it must be controlled at all times so I'm not even sure you could call it a drone.

Anyway, if this does flash over to fixed wing RC someone is going to get some really good deals on all of my RC stuff.
Just keep flying your stuff the way you always have, safely and responsibly. Any change that is going to be made is going to be a long time coming.

To some degree the govt had to get more involved, in part due to a few reckless people's actions, and the advancing technology. It remains to be seen how intrusive the new rules and regulations are going to be, but I really don't think it's going to be that bad. I really do think the overwhelming amount of us are not going to be adversely affected by whats going on,

As Larry above noted, I think it's premature to get upset, and certainly to soon to sell. Unless you have great deals, and ship. If so, I'm in.
Old 10-21-2015, 08:37 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to worry; I'd be surprised if fixed wing planes are affected. I think the government will intend to focus on FPV devices that are being flown out of sight. I really think it is going to be the governments intent to focus on "drones" and quad type devices that are marketed or built to fly with cameras and be flown out of the pilots sight. (RC planes too, if they are equipped with devices that enable it to fly FPV)The new laws and regulations will simply set the ground rules so that everybody must fly responsibly within RC hobby perameters. ("RC hobby perameters" in the governments view will likely mean within visual sight.) I really think that those of us who intend to continue to fly our RC using our eyes to guide our planes and helicopters (as we traditionally always have) will have nothing to fear. It's like laser pointers; while the government hasn't banned them, they have strict penalties for those idiots caught pointing them at aircraft.

Last edited by rustyrivet; 10-21-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I listened to the release it doesn't sound like its going to affect AMA members who fly at clubs or within the AMA guidelines if flying on their own. Chances are they are not going to bother you if your not an AMA member as long as you don't attract their attention. What it does do is give some teeth to enforcement if they need it. Not registering your drone is only one more charge they will throw in the basket if need be.

I can't say I feel sorry for those of you who have brought this on yourselves. So much for those of you who came on here and said stuff like "They can't tell me what to do" "Its my right to do what I want." and of course "Show me where it says I can't"

Now watch what happens if people start getting charged/fined/jailed etc. The spoilers will just drop the hobby and move on to spoil something else that people have been enjoying for years without any issues. All one has to do is look at ATV's, Off roading with your vehicle, personal water craft. Just about every leisure activity known has been hijacked by the same mentality resulting in authorities being forced to make rules. Rules are not for the considerate but are put in place to address the inconsiderate knobs.

Dennis
Old 10-22-2015, 12:16 AM
Kyosho Joe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Fed.Gov and certainly the FAA biggest drone concerns are the large drones with the GPS hold/return systems that are capable of being flown out of sight and to extreme altitudes. God help the moron that flies his drone high into airspace designated for air travel and has his drone strike an aircraft! And its no longer a question of if, it's now just a question of when first strike will happen...

I mean just look at this retard! This **** has already been happening for some time now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfxdeRx2fLA

Last edited by Kyosho Joe; 10-22-2015 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:49 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

If anything good comes out of the video it's that he realized it was a reckless thing to do, and there is no guarantee with the electronics, and he doesn't do it anymore. There are hundreds more like that though, and they've been up for years. The first ones I saw were from fixed wing aircraft, usually foamy gliders.
Old 10-23-2015, 06:28 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Originally Posted by Propworn
The spoilers will just drop the hobby and move on to spoil something else that people have been enjoying for years without any issues.

Truer words never spoken. Our hobby was fine while the only way to participate was to actually build/assemble something that took more than a half hour to set up. Now, all this plug and play gear, that accomodates the folks with ten-minute attention spans, means that any idiot can play.

And you're right; they are like locusts, infesting everything they touch in a generally negative manner. Add in the outlaw mentality (some of which we've had in our ranks for a LONG time- just peruse any of the AMA threads), and its no wonder the feds are sticking their nose in.

I agree that it will be a long time- if ever- that responsible club flyers will be affected by this. At least, I fervently hope so.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:58 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by larry@coyotenet
Please read the FAA statement and watch their "know before you fly" video before getting upset.
http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic...AS_Summary.pdf

That was before last week when the FAA said they will require registering ALL sUAV. That would include model airplanes. Though now they say they have set up a board for recommendations.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:27 AM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot

That was before last week when the FAA said they will require registering ALL sUAV. That would include model airplanes. Though now they say they have set up a board for recommendations.

And the board is made up of the AOPA and commercial drone manufacturers. Only the AMA is there to defend traditional RC. Based on the angle AMA has been going by trying to get recreational "drones" accepted by the FAA, I'd say the future doesn't look good for ol grandpa building a 1/4" scale Sopwith Camel in his basement to go fly it without filling out a bunch of red tape.

I really hope I'm wrong, If it gets to that point, I's also out of this hobby. Its not longer a hobby.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:49 AM
Sport_Pilot

Grandpa probably won't bother filling out the red tape, but it will be a curse on the younger generation for sure.