Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Joystick for Realflight Mobile

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Joystick for Realflight Mobile

Old 11-11-2015, 04:48 PM
ihasaradio

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Joystick for Realflight Mobile

Sorry in advance. I searched for a thread on this and/or an appropriate forum category, but could find neither. If this belongs in another thread and/or forum category, please move and/or merge as appropriate.

i got Realflight mobile on my iPad mini recently, and it looks promising. The on screen controls are hard to use, but the website recommends the fling joystick for it. The fling website says the iPad version is compatible with iPad mini, but I ordered the Logitech version, which I've read is larger. Can anyone recommend the best joystick to use for this app on iPad mini?
Old 11-13-2015, 08:44 PM
ihasaradio

The logitech actually works well on the iPad mini. I also ordered the fling and the fling mini, so I will be able to compare once those arrive.

I found that, on the left D pad, it initializes to the zero throttle position whenever you reset, so then it is a struggle to provide full throttle. To compensate, I lower the Logitech thumb pad down, lift it off the screen without detaching it, reset the plane, lower the thumb pad back in contact with the screen in the down position, and let the left thumbpad spring back center to get half throttle. That's the main quirk to deal with.

EDIT: I've never been one to snap sticks, so it took me awhile to figure this out, but you can move the throttle home position up or down by snapping the left joystick up or down repeatedly. That makes things much easier.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	607.4 KB
ID:	2130503  

Last edited by ihasaradio; 11-17-2015 at 03:24 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:27 AM
ihasaradio

Here is the fling, it is smaller than the Logitech. I found I had to struggle even more to provide full throttle, and the left one kept moving on me due to that.

edit: I learned that this one also can do the snap stick technique to adjust the throttle home position. As with the Logitech, the other controls do not adjust from snapping the sticks, which is good. However, The suction cups are smaller than the Logitech, and I found both the right and left joysticks of the fling would turn out of position with use. The suction cups adhere better on the edge than on the screen, so I expect this would probably not be a problem on the full size iPad, which has more white edge area.

edit 2: I downloaded realflight mobile to my friend's iPad and the fling works fine in the full size iPad. I gave the fling joysticks to my friend and kept the logitechs for me to use on the iPad mini.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	535.5 KB
ID:	2131100  

Last edited by ihasaradio; 11-17-2015 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 09:39 AM
ihasaradio

Here is the fling mini. It is even more difficult to use on the left d pad. I couldn't even lift and lower it to reset without taking it off entirely, and when I did get it centered, I still could not get full throttle without it popping loose. I thought I might try it on my iPhone, but I don't see how it would work unless I took the phone out of its life proof case.

edit: the snap sticks technique does not work for these on the iPad mini because the outer ring of the joystick is not large enough to avoid touching the dpad. It might work on the iPhone, but I didn't test that.

Last edited by ihasaradio; 11-17-2015 at 03:34 PM.