Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby King

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 09:54 AM
Binkey2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby King

Hobby King
Your customer service is the worst on the planet and I can’t believe that you are still in business.
In September of 2015 I ordered The Durafly Bravado it cost me $141.43 plus $16.32 in shipping for a total of $157.75 I received the plane and unboxed it immediately. To my surprise there were no wire leads coming from the two aft servos (elevator & rudder). I contacted Hobby King and explained the problem. Ten days later I received an email to please send pictures which I did. Two weeks later I got another email to send video which I did. My video was very clear and concise Two weeks after that I was instructed to send the plane back. Shipping to the New York warehouse was over $50.00 by FedEx and over $60 by UPS that’s more than 1/3 the cost of the item. After getting PayPal involved I was instructed to send the plan to the Hong Kong warehouse. The shipping cost for that is Priority over $600.00 and economy was over $500.00. The plane was sent to the New York warehouse and PayPal issued a full refund to me. This is one company that people should be very very leary of and reconsider doing business with them.
Check out this web site.

www.resellerratings.com/store/Hobby_King
Old 11-13-2015, 08:39 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Geez, I've never heard of anything like this before about Hobby King ! !.
Old 11-13-2015, 11:50 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Binkey2
Hobby King
Your customer service is the worst on the planet and I can’t believe that you are still in business.
In September of 2015 I ordered The Durafly Bravado it cost me $141.43 plus $16.32 in shipping for a total of $157.75 I received the plane and unboxed it immediately. To my surprise there were no wire leads coming from the two aft servos (elevator & rudder). I contacted Hobby King and explained the problem. Ten days later I received an email to please send pictures which I did. Two weeks later I got another email to send video which I did. My video was very clear and concise Two weeks after that I was instructed to send the plane back. Shipping to the New York warehouse was over $50.00 by FedEx and over $60 by UPS that’s more than 1/3 the cost of the item. After getting PayPal involved I was instructed to send the plan to the Hong Kong warehouse. The shipping cost for that is Priority over $600.00 and economy was over $500.00. The plane was sent to the New York warehouse and PayPal issued a full refund to me. This is one company that people should be very very leary of and reconsider doing business with them.
Check out this web site.

Do a search on Hobby King here and other RC forums you will find your experience is somewhat common with them.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:30 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by countilaw
Geez, I've never heard of anything like this before about Hobby King ! !.
Right?
Old 11-14-2015, 03:39 AM
porcia83
Banned

Hobby King
Check out this web site.

OP, HK has had a long history of service issues, a couple of google clicks would have kept you busy reading about HK stories for days. They have made attempts to get better, but issues still remain.

Some people swear by them, some people swear at them.

Might be to late as PP is not involved, but you might want to reach out to this guy at RCG, he's been pretty responsive to date:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2139842

His name is Rob and he and some others are based out of NY.

By your other posts here it looks like you like the Dynam Planes. Consider this operation for future purchases:

http://www.motionrc.com/

Great product selection, fair pricing, and superior customer service. US based, and owned by veterans. Top notch operation...they even hand sign the invoice and thank you for your purchase. I mean...c'mon!
Old 11-14-2015, 05:21 AM
geeter
My Feedback: (110)

Default Hobby king

I don't buy from hobbyking for that reason. Have heard to many bad things about them. Friends in my club buy from HK and have few problems but I read rc universe a lot and here things I don't like. There are many other places to buy from that have better service. Like hobby people Tower hobbies. Value hobby advantage hobby. Hobby hobby. Etc.

Last edited by geeter; 11-14-2015 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Adding more
Old 11-14-2015, 05:23 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

HK will always draw new blood in with their advertising and supposed "low" prices and they will continue with their "customer no-service". Today there are more places to buy the same or better quality items at similar prices and receive better service/support.
Actually another company would not need to do much to be better than HK !
Old 11-14-2015, 08:02 AM
jmiles1941

I never buy from HK they sell junk their service is terrible , I use Tower, Dons hobby, CMJ hobbie our LHS, Valley View RC, Horizion hobby these are all very reputable shops and have never had a problem with them , HK is the worst of the worst !!!!!!!!!! people use them because they sell cheap , and most of what they sell if junk !!!!!!
Old 11-14-2015, 08:16 AM
topspin

I just don't understand why anyone would bother with them. Recently they advertised free shipping then raised the price of everything by 40 percent. After a bunch of people complained they discontinued that particular customer service.

The guy in New York claims to be a company representative but he didn't even know the main warehouse in China was moving, I guess he didn't get the memo on that one. Then there is the over the top claims of helpfulness. First of all no one should have to jump through that many hoops and then go to a third party just to replace a defective part or unfreeze a stuck order. If he was really helpful he would have paid to ship the OP's defective goods back to NY and gotten him a replacement.

Like flyinwalenda said, there are just too many places that are better in every way to even think of messing with Hobby King anymore.

Hobby King is truly a seller for those who are hard of thinking.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:49 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Interesting... I recently ordered some stuff from HK for the first time. I also had read over the years alot of negative posts, but I figured I'd risk it, based on the fact that HK had exactly what I wanted, for a very reasonable price... so even though I was skeptical I made about a $100 order.

I have to say first, I'm in no way affiliated with HK and have only placed 1 order so far, but I have to tell you from my stand point on my order it was first class... I won't rant too much, but the product got to me in just a few days, the packaging was first class, and the products themselves look and work excellent. The process was so easy its ridiculous. I've ordered from Tower, Horizon, Chiefs, etc... and my recent HK order was really right there with all these surprisingly.

When I here these types of stories, and I have first hand experience contrary to them, I have to wonder where somebody went wrong. I though would have probably just installed the missing servo leads and got on with life.... I wouldn't go to all that trouble over a few wires... and after the rant I read in the first post, something there tells me its probably not about HobbyKing.. can't quite put my finger on it though.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:58 AM
jim billings

Granted, Hobby King has problems. My suggestion is if you can't fix a minor problem or two in a Hobby King product, maybe this hobby is not for you. Instead of complaining, use your skills. But if you don't have the skills, try flying kites. Probably a lot less stressful.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:35 AM
rcguy59

I just received my 92nd HK order yesterday. Never had a problem. When the U.S. warehouse was still in Lakewood, Wa. I was able to pick up orders at the warehouse the day after the order was placed. I got spoiled. The new warehouse in Oregon seems to have gotten their act together and orders are getting out pretty quickly now. Ordering from HK entails some risk, but that's well known. HK has stuff I can't find elsewhere, and other stuff I can't afford elsewhere. My next turbine won't come from HK, but my next LiPo sure as hell will.
Old 11-14-2015, 11:36 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by jim billings
Granted, Hobby King has problems. My suggestion is if you can't fix a minor problem or two in a Hobby King product, maybe this hobby is not for you. Instead of complaining, use your skills. But if you don't have the skills, try flying kites. Probably a lot less stressful.
Some of us got into this hobby in the 1980s and have plenty of the necessary skills to fix things. I don't know you so I can only speak for myself here but when I buy something new I expect it to be new and free from defects. In other words, if I want to repair stuff I'll buy used parts on the trader page. Those of us who have experience in this hobby simply know better than to buy from flaky vendors like Hobby King.

Oh and DGrant, keep buying from them and you will soon be able to write your own bad review.
Old 11-14-2015, 12:30 PM
jim billings

I order from Hobby King with the expectation that the product will be error free. But, knowing Hobby King's reputation, I accept the possibility that the product may require some expertise to correct an error (or errors) before I may fly it. I have over 12,000 dollars of stuff from Hobby King and I have never felt the rage several people have expressed about their frustrations. I'll still take my chances with HK's stuff.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:00 PM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Twenty-four orders, here.

One of those went wrong, but was rectified to my complete satisfaction. Took quite a while to sort out, but the customer services people were really good ... they kept me informed with regular emails, as they tried to trace my parcel.

Courier lost my goodies, so it was hardly the fault of HK; and yet, HK gave me a full refund. I thought that was pretty decent of them.

Just bought £200-worth of digital servos, and they sure do seem like quality items. Not cheap, though.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:16 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by DGrant
Interesting... I recently ordered some stuff from HK for the first time. I also had read over the years alot of negative posts, but I figured I'd risk it, based on the fact that HK had exactly what I wanted, for a very reasonable price... so even though I was skeptical I made about a $100 order.

I have to say first, I'm in no way affiliated with HK and have only placed 1 order so far, but I have to tell you from my stand point on my order it was first class... I won't rant too much, but the product got to me in just a few days, the packaging was first class, and the products themselves look and work excellent. The process was so easy its ridiculous. I've ordered from Tower, Horizon, Chiefs, etc... and my recent HK order was really right there with all these surprisingly.

When I here these types of stories, and I have first hand experience contrary to them, I have to wonder where somebody went wrong. I though would have probably just installed the missing servo leads and got on with life.... I wouldn't go to all that trouble over a few wires... and after the rant I read in the first post, something there tells me its probably not about HobbyKing.. can't quite put my finger on it though.
Everyone's experience is their own, levels of service and satisfaction will vary. To bad someone would think you were "hard of thinking" for using them though.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:07 PM
flyinwalenda

and it didn't take long for the HK cheerleaders to arrive with their " I have XXX orders with no problems, their stuff is great, they are great, how can anyone not be happy with them?, blah,blah,blah !
Old 11-14-2015, 04:45 PM
Binkey2

There was no way to get to the aft servos, as the fuse is one piece.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:16 PM
topspin

And it didn't take long for the HK detractors to arrive with their " I got screwed on XXX orders with a myriad of problems, their stuff is awful, they are poor, how can anyone not be frustrated with them?, blah,blah,blah !
Just saw one on another site where a guy asked if anyone had a manual or instruction for a .46 fiberglass model from Hobby King. The New York guy told him he would get right on it and request a manual from the manufacturer, that was in July. So the guy posted again today more than 3 months later asking about the manual and of course he got no response.

I know I would be frustrated if the guy who tells everyone he can save them from Hobby Kings goofs and gaffs won't help. I guess I would feel kind of ripped off. And someone explain to me once again why people have to go to some guy in New your who hangs out on a private RC forum to get service that they should have gotten from the company in the first place. I'm sorry but I fail to see how that is a wonderful thing, pretty sorry if you ask me.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:49 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm gonna run right out and buy me a whole lot a Hobby King stuff !

The day after hell freezes over. LMAO

It seems like the Hobby King U.S. warehouses mover around a lot . Anyone know why?

Really, I think I can find all I need at Tower Hobbies, Sig Mfg, Hobby Barn, Servo City, Balsa Inc and my local hobby shop. If I had to depend on cheap, copied and inferior products to maintain my hobby, I would just find something else to do.

Frank
Old 11-14-2015, 09:31 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

In my own experience -Hobby King I no longer use for my modeling needs-as mention earlier I have found several other on-line vendors that does not require you to weigh, video, photograph or send things back at my expense when they send out a item that is not usable.

I purchased over 30 orders without a problem then had two right in a row that took 4 months to finally get resolved. I am done with them.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:00 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

There was no way to get to the aft servos, as the fuse is one piece.
Bummer. It all sounds like a bum rap you got, but just as an idea here, you can use the forums and probably many guys in this thread to get advice and info on repairs, upgrades, and all that stuff. Someone in these forums might have been able to walk you through a fix for your plane... even though you seemingly got a defective plane/missing parts, Most of these guys like to help fix things, its what we do.

There's always someone in these forums that could have helped... no doubt about that. That might have saved you time, money, and most of all frustration..

Curious which plane it was, if you don't mind me asking.?

Last edited by DGrant; 11-14-2015 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:36 AM
FMRR

Motion RC is the only way to go. I fly turbines, but have bought 4 freewing jets from motion. My recent purchase twin 80mm F14 that was shipped with two RH stabs. Contacted motion and they had the correct stab at my house in two days. That's customer service, great group of guys.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:54 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by FMRR
Motion RC is the only way to go. I fly turbines, but have bought 4 freewing jets from motion. My recent purchase twin 80mm F14 that was shipped with two RH stabs. Contacted motion and they had the correct stab at my house in two days. That's customer service, great group of guys.
Yup...ditto. I mentioned them earlier as well. Might sound trivial to some, but I've always been impressed with the handwritten signature on the invoice thanking me for my purchase. Shows a measure of work product pride and customer service at the same time. It's the only place that's ever done it.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:58 AM
flyinwalenda

And it didn't take long for the HK detractors to arrive with their " I got screwed on XXX orders with a myriad of problems, their stuff is awful, they are poor, how can anyone not be frustrated with them?, blah,blah,blah !
That is what the topic of this post is all about! How is keeping it on topic detracting ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.