Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Hobby King

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 04:40 AM
Luchnia
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PLANE JIM
In my own experience -Hobby King I no longer use for my modeling needs-as mention earlier I have found several other on-line vendors that does not require you to weigh, video, photograph or send things back at my expense when they send out a item that is not usable.

I purchased over 30 orders without a problem then had two right in a row that took 4 months to finally get resolved. I am done with them.
It is like a roulette wheel with them. You can do great for years, then all of sudden the bottom drops out. It only takes one order to destroy the benefit. I occasionally buy an item from them, yet never very expensive. I set a limit and that is where I stay at.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:48 AM
insp507

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question is why did you spend $60 to ship the plane back, instead of just replacing two $4 servo leads?
Over 25 orders from HK never a problem.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:06 AM
jetmech43
My Feedback: (9)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They suck
Old 11-15-2015, 05:53 AM
stevegauth30

Nothing against the OP, but sheesh, people still order from these D-bags?WHY?
Old 11-15-2015, 06:33 AM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jim billings
And it didn't take long for the HK detractors to arrive with their " I got screwed on XXX orders with a myriad of problems, their stuff is awful, they are poor, how can anyone not be frustrated with them?, blah,blah,blah !
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
That is what the topic of this post is all about! How is keeping it on topic detracting ?

Thank You Brian Ray for bringing a bit of common sense to yet another HK bash/praise thread !

The original post was intended to slap HK for subpar performance , so the complaints that follow from other dissatisfied customers are most certainly on topic for the intent of the thread . What is it about folks who just have to jump into such threads to berate the unhappy customer and taunt with their 1000 perfect orders ? Why not go start their own "HK is my RC hero" thread rather than engage in the petty "I know you are but what am I" nonsense that permeates all HK threads ? Now , to give equal time , Yes , the HK haters DO go into the "HK is the bee's knees" threads too , and to me that's ALSO looking for a fight . I've said it (many) times before , all these HK threads do is end up getting people pissed off at each other , not ONE opinion is changed , and HK goes on , business as usual .

I guess my question to both sides would be ; Why Bother ? If your getting great service you aren't going to change one person's mind who hates them . And if you've been dissatisfied , again your not ever going to change the mind of one of the HK faithful . Instead , it's post after post of bad intent hurled at people who are supposed to be here because they SHARE a love of RC models .

Sermons over , happy flying , go in peace ........
Old 11-15-2015, 08:50 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I was involved in another thread not long ago, before I'd ordered from HK... Have a read on it if you like... The outcome might surprise a few people,..or maybe not.. Interesting comparison though...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2528492

When these kinds of threads come up, I'm more wondering "why?"... as sometimes the problem isn't seen by everyone in the same light... and learning can come from discussion... of course other things can come from comments that aren't necessarily a part of a decent discussion too. I think really if someone has a complaint/bash of a company, it all can't be told in a one-paragraph post. There's usually more to the story, and should be, if a resolution is to be found.

I'm all for boycotting shady companies,.. no doubt, I like to see my hobby dollars best used of course. I'm just not one to take a first post on this subject as gospel, and like to dig in(nicely I hope) a little more... if I'm interested in what any company has to offer, or not offer in ways of customer-service/product.

We've all had good and bad dealings with many vendors, and those stories are all very individual, as if they were that similar with certain vendors, the vendor either wouldn't exist any more, or they'd be a leader in our quest for hobby needs.

With that said, I've heard good things about Motion RC myself... I haven't ordered from them yet, as I'm pretty stocked on everything I need with a winter's worth of supplies, but the word at my club is Motion is good.... a fellow club member recommended them highly. I think though companies like HK, MotionRC and a few others are gaining ground on Tower/GreatPlanes, Horizon, HobbyPeople, as evidenced in this thread they're all good to many of us.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:09 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by Binkey2
There was no way to get to the aft servos, as the fuse is one piece.
Originally Posted by insp507
My question is why did you spend $60 to ship the plane back, instead of just replacing two $4 servo leads?
Over 25 orders from HK never a problem.
See above for clarification. Also, your number of successful orders adds no value to the OP's thread.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:49 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by topspin
. Also, your number of successful orders adds no value to the OP's thread.
Of course it adds value.

It puts the number of "failures" into context.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:22 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

For some, all that matters is the price.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:30 AM
jim billings

Originally Posted by 049flyer
For some, all that matters is the price.
(I think your post was edited to be friendlier.) I suspect that for most, not some, all that matters is the price. We aren't all blessed with wads of disposable income.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:27 PM
049flyer

It doesn't take wads of disposable income to fly RC.

It does take wads of diposable income if you are guided by your ego and unchecked desire to keep up with everyone else to fly the latest, greatest or largest.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:10 PM
jim billings

It does take wads of diposable income if you are guided by your ego and unchecked desire to keep up with everyone else to fly the latest, greatest or largest.
I agree - it doesn't takes wads of disposable income to fly RC. That's why a lot of hobbiests use Hobby King. I also agree that it does take wads of diposable income if you are guided by your ego and unchecked desire to keep up with everyone else to fly the latest, greatest or largest. Those are other hobbiests who swear they will never use Hobby King.

I'm a bit confused (not a lot, so don't seize the opportunity!). We seem to be in complete agreement. I thought we had an interesting debate going. But then again, maybe this isn't the forum for debating.

Jim B.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:46 PM
049flyer

No, we agree. I think that you can tell from my handle that I keep my modeling budget well in check and I do not buy from Hobby King nor do I feel the need to do so.

As a former hobby shop owner who was forced to contend with Hobby King, I am amazed that anyone buys from them. Yet, I have friends that do and they often complain about the service, I just shake my head in amazement.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:04 PM
DGrant

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree. Like most of us that have flown for a long time are asked at some point, "Aren't those planes expensive?..." to which I usually reply "only if you crash them".
Old 11-15-2015, 06:23 PM
Barnstormer65
My Feedback: (32)

I had a similar problem in 2013 with a plane that was sent in a single wall box. They wanted me to send everything back at my expense. No way. Stay away.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:47 AM
drac1

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is funny
Old 11-16-2015, 06:04 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

I buy at Hobbyking. I have been the victim of poor service,yes,but I continue to buy there. Its so much cheaper that if I get a bad unit I just get another copy.
If you want to really get screwed check these guys out. They are masters of it.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club...ay-paypal.html
Old 11-16-2015, 08:22 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by rcguy59
I just received my 92nd HK order yesterday. Never had a problem. When the U.S. warehouse was still in Lakewood, Wa. I was able to pick up orders at the warehouse the day after the order was placed. I got spoiled. The new warehouse in Oregon seems to have gotten their act together and orders are getting out pretty quickly now. Ordering from HK entails some risk, but that's well known. HK has stuff I can't find elsewhere, and other stuff I can't afford elsewhere. My next turbine won't come from HK, but my next LiPo sure as hell will.
I agree 100%, I also have tons of orders from them, ZERO Problems. If I get a bad servo or any defective item, I don't cry about mamby, pamby customer service, I just eat it, Servos are $3.00 each man, get over it. I have a couple of dozen servos on hand for spares for any of my Chinese planes. Hobby King is my first go to supplier for 90% of what I buy. Right now I have 70 new ARF's in boxes ready to assemble and 12 more assembled and flying. If customer service is worth a 50 to 100% premium in price to you, hey go for it. Not worth it in my book...

Last edited by Prop_Washer2; 11-16-2015 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:24 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by dirtybird
I buy at Hobbyking. I have been the victim of poor service,yes,but I continue to buy there. Its so much cheaper that if I get a bad unit I just get another copy.
If you want to really get screwed check these guys out. They are masters of it.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/club...ay-paypal.html
I did see that but I'm guessing that you forgot Anthony Hand (United Hobbies) was kicked off of Ebay twice for being an unreliable seller. They got too many complaints and since you know something about Ebay then you know it takes a lot of complaints to get kicked off, especially 6 or 7 years ago.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:27 AM
topspin

Originally Posted by drac1
This is funny
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, Hobyking Customer Service, ha, ha, ha.......... Why, you're right, it is a joke.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:46 PM
robwiljas

I've been lucky and haven't had a problem with hobbyking yet other than taking a while to ship. I actually just got really surprised by them. I ordered some LiPos and connectors from the Oregon warehouse the day before yesterday and paid for the cheapest shipping, which was USPS. I Iooked last night and it said my order was in the print que, and I know in the past it has taken a few days to ship from that point. I just opened my door to leave about an hour ago and the package was on my door step, I couldn't believe it lol. They shipped it FedEx.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:26 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Ok gentlemen,
I've had to step in and clean up this thread because some of you simply do not know how to discuss this issue without resorting to childish antics. It's sad that some people want to come into a discussion thread that others are trying to have an honest discussion and then go out of their way to derail the conversation with antics, name calling, and a long list of other silly nonsense. But I've had enough of this. You all will notice that there is a huge chunk of posts missing, that's because I have cleaned up the thread. Now, let me say this. I hate to use this term because I honestly don't like it, but for those "trolling" this thread to cause trouble, I suggest it's time to find something else to occupy your time. Because if you continue with this silly nonsense you are going to find yourself sitting in the corner with an RCU "timeout" and you're not going to like it. Am I being a bit "dramatic"? Maybe! But right now I think I have to because some people simply aren't getting the message any other way. So for those causing the trouble in this, and other threads, your time is up. I'm going to start passing out administrative punishments. If you can't participate in a discussion such as this without resorting to childish games then I would suggest that you refrain from entering into the discussion at all. Because if you continue in this manner you are going to regret doing so.

For everybody else that got sucked in and dragged down by all of this I do apologize that I had to bring this out in the open forum, but unfortunately the actions of a few have forced me to do so. Let's get this discussion back on track now so that we can continue. Any further off topic, or silly nonsense posts will disappear with no further notice.

Ken
Old 11-19-2015, 07:04 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

Originally Posted by Binkey2
Hobby King
Your customer service is the worst on the planet and I can’t believe that you are still in business.
In September of 2015 I ordered The Durafly Bravado it cost me $141.43 plus $16.32 in shipping for a total of $157.75 I received the plane and unboxed it immediately. To my surprise there were no wire leads coming from the two aft servos (elevator & rudder). I contacted Hobby King and explained the problem. Ten days later I received an email to please send pictures which I did. Two weeks later I got another email to send video which I did. My video was very clear and concise Two weeks after that I was instructed to send the plane back. Shipping to the New York warehouse was over $50.00 by FedEx and over $60 by UPS that’s more than 1/3 the cost of the item. After getting PayPal involved I was instructed to send the plan to the Hong Kong warehouse. The shipping cost for that is Priority over $600.00 and economy was over $500.00. The plane was sent to the New York warehouse and PayPal issued a full refund to me. This is one company that people should be very very leary of and reconsider doing business with them.
Check out this web site.
a
www.resellerratings.com/store/Hobby_King
I appreciate Ken for stepping in, Binkey I check out the link and evidently Hobby King has the same reputation worldwide as they have here in this forum.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:52 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've spent thousands of dollars wit them and not one issue.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:07 PM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would rather spend thousands of dollars with my local hobby shop and help my local economy. Why would I put a $3.00 servo in an $800 plane?

Frank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.