Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Lost our field

Old 06-30-2016, 08:59 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It is great things worked out for you guys. It is concerning about AMA's help, it makes you think you are alone in this matter.

Fair Winds & Happy Flyin'
Rich
Old 06-30-2016, 09:07 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwrich
It is concerning about AMA's help, it makes you think you are alone in this matter.

Rich
Rich being your a leader member maybe you could mention the "problem" these guys had with misinformation, might help someone down the road. It also might carry a bit more weight.
Finding and keeping flying sites needs to be a priority.
Just a thought.

Mike

Last edited by rcmiket; 06-30-2016 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:37 AM
jwrich

Mike, to say I am unhappy with AMA would be a understatement. I have been an AMA member since the mid 70's. At this time, I don't think AMA governing body cares anything about the wants and need of the membership. This drone issue is a major miss read of AMA. They are so far from the models we build and fly, they require no skill to build or fly and plus they do not need an AMA field to fly. So membership with AMA is really not needed. Now we are dealing with the FAA. I have made my thoughts known to AMA.

Thanks for listening
Rich
Old 06-30-2016, 11:05 AM
The Saylors

In all honesty we look for abandoned/failed housing or industrial complexes. The first thing they do is lay down nice asphalt, clear the land, and then promptly run out of money and walk away leaving you with runways and cleared land. I use these areas for trucks/planes/copters. As long as there isn't "no trespassing" signs and no gates then its open to the public, worst anyone can do is tell you to leave but it has never happened to me. I know its not a designated field but at least its close when you have no were else to go.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:21 AM
rcmiket

Mike, to say I am unhappy with AMA would be a understatement. I have been an AMA member since the mid 70's. At this time, I don't think AMA governing body cares anything about the wants and need of the membership. This drone issue is a major miss read of AMA. They are so far from the models we build and fly, they require no skill to build or fly and plus they do not need an AMA field to fly. So membership with AMA is really not needed. Now we are dealing with the FAA. I have made my thoughts known to AMA.

Thanks for listening
Rich
Rich you echo the feelings of many of us and believe me you are not alone.

Mike.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:43 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcmiket
Rich being your a leader member maybe you could mention the "problem" these guys had with misinformation, might help someone down the road. It also might carry a bit more weight.
Finding and keeping flying sites needs to be a priority.
Just a thought.

Mike
Anybody can voice their concerns about issues such as this, regardless of of Leader Member status or not. Not sure why feedback from any one party would be given more or less weight based on a title. I would think the content and the way the feedback is presented would be the important part. The AMA's job isn't to find nor keep flying fields, that's our collective jobs to do, can't help but wonder if people really think they have the ability to do that all by themselves. They are a resource and are there to help...not do all the work.

Thanks for listening
Rich
The only miss is how folks continue to blame the FAA's involvement with our hobby on the AMA for embracing quads. Nothing could be farther from the truth of course, and AMA's acceptance of them into the hobby has been a success both membership wise, and financially. Thank god they didn't listen to the "traditional" modeler and move to exclude the new technology. You are right however in noting how "far" some of these aircraft can be from the "traditional" balsa kits some folks fly. Continue to be amazed at the sheer lack of understanding about how complicated some of these are not only to build, but to operate. To say they take no skill to fly is yet another sweeping generalization, much like noting those pilots don't need a club nor an AMA membership. I'm guessing a big percentage of the Balsa USA Brotherhood could neither scratch build a quad let alone fly it. Just a guess.

I must say I'm surprised at your comments given your Leader Member status. Don't mistake that for meaning every Leader Member needs to be in lockstep agreement (aka drink the kool-aide) with the AMA, I'm sure many don't appreciate the MR being involved in the hobby. But to be so dismissive of the potential new members, the technology, and the building and piloting skills involved is as far from what a "Leader Member" should be doing. I would hope if others feel that strongly about the issue they either get more directly involved to try to make some changes, or renounce the Leader Member status bestowed upon them.

Based on prior elections, it doesn't look like there is any groundswell of opposition to what the AMA has been doing, nor do the membership number track in that direction either. About 2200 didn't renew this year, certainly not a large number. But the good news, about 700 new folks joined. Where did they come from? Well, they were new to the AMA, and became members as a result of buying....quads. It would be nice to see how many joined clubs. There were only two folks who ran for AVP in your district last year, and less than 3000 people voted (out of 5 states). The winner took the AVP spot with 45 votes, and so far as I can see, nothing has changed in D8 other than a new AVP. Business as usual.

We'll see what the upcoming elections will look like, but I'm guessing they will be in line with last year.
Old 06-30-2016, 01:45 PM
porcia83
Banned

Rich you echo the feelings of many of us and believe me you are not alone.

Mike.
Certainly not alone, and while there may be others who have some of the same concerns, most definitely not the majority.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:26 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:32 PM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by init4fun
As you can already see , you can expect your concerns to be systematically picked apart with the ulterior motive of blaming you for anything you find fault with about the AMA . Pretty soon , it will devolve into thinly veiled personal attacks against you , all the while being "just under the radar" of the rules here . Don't you see , the AMA is the world's most perfect entity , and those who dare challenge that divinity shall be dealt with by the self appointed protectors of the image of the absolute perfection that IS the AMA . They are tireless , they post literally round the clock (leaving wonder if they actually DO fly model airplanes , or maybe just man their their keyboards around the clock , as their posting history appears to show) , and their one and only mission is to discredit anyone who has any sort of legitimate complaint about some aspect or other of the AMA , be they a common ol sod such as myself all the way up to taunting Leader Members , which you appear to be one of . I wish you luck , prepare to have your every word twisted and given meanings that you or any other sane person would never have thought of , and don't expect any relief from the moderation staff , a quick look at the top 3 threads in the AMA forum will show you all you need to see about what's tolerated around here , as long as your keeping the all important post counts up .
The ignore feature is a wonderful thing.

Mike
Old 06-30-2016, 03:17 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 10:34 AM. Reason: fix some typos
Old 06-30-2016, 03:31 PM
The Saylors

Hey man trolls are people too, unless they are the mythical kind, then they are just fake and i need to stop drinking and taking my pants off at wal-mart. Sorry just a joke don't feed me to the AMA vampires or whatever
Old 06-30-2016, 03:56 PM
jwrich

People can think what they want, this is my feelings on the matter and you will not see any post from me on those AMA vs Drone site. I voiced my opinion to AMA on the drone issue, that is all I can do. I will say this in all honesty, if it were not for attending flying events around the country I would not continue with AMA. This drone issue has just turned me from an organization I have supported for more than 40 years.

Rich
Old 06-30-2016, 04:01 PM
rcmiket

People can think what they want, this is my feelings on the matter and you will not see any post from me on those AMA vs Drone site. I voiced my opinion to AMA on the drone issue, that is all I can do. I will say this in all honesty, if it were not for attending flying events around the country I would not continue with AMA. This drone issue has just turned me from an organization I have supported for more than 40 years.

Rich
Rich I was speaking with a Leader Member in our club and he noted that in the past Leader Members opinions were solicited on AMA direction decisions and that was no longer done. Can you comment on that? Feel free to PM me if you wish on this.
I also understand if you don't want to discuss it.
Mike
Old 06-30-2016, 04:50 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 10:34 AM. Reason: fix some typos
Old 06-30-2016, 05:00 PM
init4fun

Last edited by init4fun; 08-15-2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: fix some typos
Old 06-30-2016, 05:56 PM
porcia83
Banned

As you can already see , you can expect your concerns to be systematically picked apart with the ulterior motive of blaming you for anything you find fault with about the AMA . Pretty soon , it will devolve into thinly veiled personal attacks against you , all the while being "just under the radar" of the rules here . Don't you see , the AMA is the world's most perfect entity , and those who dare challenge that divinity shall be dealt with by the self appointed protectors of the image of the absolute perfection that IS the AMA . They are tireless , they post literally round the clock (leaving wonder if they actually DO fly model airplanes , or maybe just man their their keyboards around the clock , as their posting history appears to show) , and their one and only mission is to discredit anyone who has any sort of legitimate complaint about some aspect or other of the AMA , be they a common ol sod such as myself all the way up to taunting Leader Members , which you appear to be one of . I wish you luck , prepare to have your every word twisted and given meanings that you or any other sane person would never have thought of , and don't expect any relief from the moderation staff , a quick look at the top 3 threads in the AMA forum will show you all you need to see about what's tolerated around here , as long as your keeping the all important post counts up .

Mike
Yep , been using it for a month now to pretty good success , right till ya look at RCU when not logged in , and then you see some Leader Member get his post picked apart by the AMAish (Thank You LCS) , and then ya feel compelled to let the guy know what he's in for . Just in case the Original Poster , Rich , still don't believe me , go to the AMA forum and read the last 4 or so pages of the thread "another drone pilot does it again" , especially where Hydrojunkie tries to get the trolls to back off of insulting Franklin and stick to the subject at hand , and then you'll see why I posted what I just did to you . It's like the Terminator except these are the Trollinators , they can't be stopped , they can't be reasoned with , the only defense is to know what they are and that their power comes in answering them directly so that they can twist every word of your post to their meanings instead of yours , and then use them against you . Ignoring their every post takes their power away , because when they finally get no "rise" out of the taunted , it's off to find the next victim . This usually mostly only goes on in the AMA forum , which for the past month I've avoided so as to not be "rollin with tha trollins" but if you mention the AMA in a negative light anywhere they appear like the proverbial Gremlins fed after midnight . Their posts are a disgrace to both the AMA and RCU , but like I said it will be YOU that ends up being wrong here , trust me on this , and don't give them the ammunition they seek , or even the time of day , and they'll eventually melt like a Vampire in the Sun .

Happy Flying
A hearty LOL.....I appreciate the chuckle from my fellow frequent posters in the AMA forums. Good times, nice to see you back Initi!
Old 06-30-2016, 06:10 PM
porcia83
Banned

Rich
I respect your opinion and even more so your ability to have a discussion without resulting to the "Oh look I use the ignore feature", or personal attacks that the others engage in when they are presented with an alternative point of view.

Noting what you said at the beginning of the thread, specifically post 12:

"..The bottom line, it will take a lot of hard work and money. Luckily we had some money in the treasury and many of us kicked in as well. AMA helped out with a grant which was greatly appreciated..."

Yes, finding a field is hard work and takes money. In this case it was more hard work than money. In your case you had the AMA help you resource wise, as well as financially. I made the suggestion to the OP that he engage his AVP and VPs in addition to the AMA, he never mentioned if that happen, just that he was in touch with Stillman.

As for being an AMA member and more importantly a Leader Member, obviously you've been in the hobby a long time. If I were a Leader Member and this unhappy with the organization and only had my membership to attend events around the country, I'm not sure that I would feel comfortable with the Leader Member designation. Seems to fly in the face of the intent and purpose of the role and designation.

Leader Member duties vary by category. While it is the responsibility of every Leader Member to represent and promote AMA and the sport of aeromodeling, Leader Members within the categories of Education Support and Flight Support have specific duties and responsibilities including public outreach, assisting clubs, member support, membership development, and other duties as defined by the Leader Member Program.
Anyway, fair winds and happy flying to you as well.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:18 PM
porcia83
Banned

Rich I was speaking with a Leader Member in our club and he noted that in the past Leader Members opinions were solicited on AMA direction decisions and that was no longer done. Can you comment on that? Feel free to PM me if you wish on this.
Mike
Might want to check with that person again, ask him what category of Leader Member he is. Overall, Leader Members are still involved in a number of decisions and a frequently asked for input. Would also add they actually vote on issues as well.

Last edited by porcia83; 06-30-2016 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:21 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by The Saylors
Hey man trolls are people too, unless they are the mythical kind, then they are just fake and i need to stop drinking and taking my pants off at wal-mart. Sorry just a joke don't feed me to the AMA vampires or whatever
Ya, it's the usual thing, don't agree with the majority and the majority (or rather a majority of the minority) don't take it to well. Waddyagonna do?

But you're comment is another welcomed funny one. You must be one of those folks featured on the "people of Walmart" website. It's a pretty funny collection of folks strolling through wallyworld.
Old 07-01-2016, 06:52 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned
My Feedback: (4)

Mike
Why not become a leader member yourself and experience it first hand?
Old 07-01-2016, 06:53 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Mike
+1!
Old 07-01-2016, 06:57 AM
Chris P. Bacon
Banned

Originally Posted by raptureboy
Well after 6 months of fruitless searching, we have found a new location for our club. A local farmer responded to a flyer we posted at the local Agway store and we are now in negotiations for what will be perhaps the best site we have had in 50 years. I'm a little disappointed that the AMA does not do a better job pre qualifying EPA sites before sending folks on a wild goose chase. We chased down 3 leads provide by the AMA and all of them were former superfund sites that were off limits to any type of activity. we spent a lot of time hunting down EPA contacts who either did not respond to or requests or had no idea that such a program existed between the AMA and the EPA. Also saddened by how some of the other local clubs in the area gave a lot of our members the cold shoulder about joining their club so they could keep flying. 2 other clubs within a 15 mi radius with facilities big enough to support a few new members and both of them told us we don't want any new members. When the ink dries on our lease I will post again with the details and location. Yes we will be excepting new members, even from those clubs that shut us out. Thanks to all who provided suggestions and encouragement.
Congratulations on the new field! Good job putting the effort into find and securing a new field, especially one that's better than in the previous 50 years!
Old 07-01-2016, 07:57 AM
jwrich

Porcia83, I think I have had enough of your BS comments. I have read the comments you have made on the other threads regarding AMA issues on this site. That is why I have not commented on these threads. I am surprised the moderator has not called you down for your comments berating people who express their opinion. Personal attacks only reflect your own personal character. I have posted only positive comments on this site and the other RC sites, RCSB and RC groups.

I am a Leader Member with AMA because I was nominated by the EILFLA Modelers Club membership in Germany in the early 80's. Over the years I have held office in every club in which I was a member, the patches AMA send to club officers, I have them all for most of the years I have been a AMA member. I have been the club trainer for many of them, promoting RC flying and instructing new members to fly. If you were ever a club trainer you know how much personal time it takes from your own time at the field. I could go on listing my accomplishments over the last 40+ years but you would only make nasty comments.

Again I question RCU, for allowing you to post negative and attacking personal comments on their site. It is very clear, you do not represent a positive image of RC modelers. People like you is what AMA has become.

Rich
Old 07-01-2016, 08:22 AM
porcia83
Banned

Porcia83, I think I have had enough of your BS comments. I have read the comments you have made on the other threads regarding AMA issues on this site. That is why I have not commented on these threads. I am surprised the moderator has not called you down for your comments berating people who express their opinion. Personal attacks only reflect your own personal character. I have posted only positive comments on this site and the other RC sites, RCSB and RC groups.

I am a Leader Member with AMA because I was nominated by the EILFLA Modelers Club membership in Germany in the early 80's. Over the years I have held office in every club in which I was a member, the patches AMA send to club officers, I have them all for most of the years I have been a AMA member. I have been the club trainer for many of them, promoting RC flying and instructing new members to fly. If you were ever a club trainer you know how much personal time it takes from your own time at the field. I could go on listing my accomplishments over the last 40+ years but you would only make nasty comments.

Again I question RCU, for allowing you to post negative and attacking personal comments on their site. It is very clear, you do not represent a positive image of RC modelers. People like you is what AMA has become.

Rich
Sorry you feel that way....I expressed my opinion just as you did. If you don't like the comments simply ignore them. This is a public thread with lots of opinions, sorry you took a differing one as an attack, it wasn't meant that way.
Old 07-01-2016, 08:41 AM
porcia83
Banned

Would also add your list of contributions and accomplishments are impressive and no doubt were part of the reason you were selected as a leader member. We'll agree to disagree on the other stuff I guess..we look at some things different. Typically it's good to have different opinions, but I guess that only fits certain scenarios.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.