Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA Useless!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 05:27 AM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do I feel like I am registering as a sex offender without having done anything?
Old 12-16-2015, 06:26 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porcia83
More contact with them, it's been a great week for responses from the AMA. So did you accomplish what you wanted, will you take them up on their offer? Will this settle everything now?
I did accomplish one goal in that I got some insight to their thinking. They're now contending that DOT walked into the room and declared what the solution would be. That sounds like an excuse to me. With so many people in the room with disparate interests, that hasn't been reported anywhere ... not even on background in a mass media leaks driven age. So, I don't believe it.

They also talked about the AMA's "analysis" of the FAA data which was nothing more than an unscientific word search on a narrow term. They they complained about why the media didn't touch it. What they refuse to consider is that that have themselves to blame, as the media simply didn't view it as credible -- especially once the Bard report was issued. The latter is cited many times in media reports.

The response also led me to expect them to continue doing more of the same and hope for a different result.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:46 AM
fishhock

agree with above AMA usless
Old 12-16-2015, 06:54 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rcmiket
This is how ridiculous this whole thing is,

Mike
You make a good point Mike , just one thing though, that ultra-lite is considered an Experimental aircraft, and not allowed to be flown over or within city limits, or residential homes... you shouldn't need to register your RC model if you fly out of a rural area like a desert, (Mojave desert in California for example), thats where they use to fly a lot of those experimental class aircraft and gyro copters... I say you shouldn't need to register, but it looks that you will have too, no matter where you fly from.

You have exposed something that has been overlooked by the FAA, and I'm sure we will see some changes in the experimental class requirements in the near future, the domino effect has just begun.

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Those who fly without being an AMA member or those who decide to leave it and still fly will have insurance(9 times out of 10) as long as they own a home. Those who rent would not. For the majority(I believe) we are paying the AMA for secondary insurance we will never need.
There has to be other options out there to insure clubs and members. Maybe now is the time for another group to start up and provide us with what we need and want.
Yes, very true, but as already mentioned, most RC events require you to have AMA... we're not allowed to fly at the Apollo XI field without AMA as it could jeopardize the Valley RC Flyers lease agreement they have with the city.

Originally Posted by ovationdave
Why do I feel like I am registering as a sex offender without having done anything?
LoL, how true

John M,

Last edited by John_M_; 12-16-2015 at 07:00 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:57 AM
mallen

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
Those who fly without being an AMA member or those who decide to leave it and still fly will have insurance(9 times out of 10) as long as they own a home. Those who rent would not. For the majority(I believe) we are paying the AMA for secondary insurance we will never need.
There has to be other options out there to insure clubs and members. Maybe now is the time for another group to start up and provide us with what we need and want.
We did have another option 20 years ago.....it was the SFA which I tried to persuade friends and a local AMA club to change/accept it and no one wanted to listen.....now we will pay the price....and have been for many, many years....
Old 12-16-2015, 07:02 AM
franklin_m

AMA has been telling us they've spent over $1,000,000 on lobbying. Per their 2013 IRS 990, schedule C, part IV:

"MITCH ROSE STRATEGIC CONSULTING ADVOCATES THE INTERESTS OF AMA BEFORE THE CONGRESS, THE ADMINISTRATION AND INDEPENDENT REGULATORY AGENCIES...."

If you search for Mitch Rose on OpenSecrets.org, it shows that over the period 2010-2014, AMA has paid them $285,000 total. What''s even more curious, they actually reduced the amount last year by 10,000?

Not sure how they're doing their math, but in my book $285,000 does not equal $1,000,000.

Note: I also just noticed that the same guy also lobbies for the AOPA.

http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/firmsum.php?id=D000062493&year=2014

Last edited by franklin_m; 12-16-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:34 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by John_M_
You make a good point Mike , just one thing though, that ultra-lite is considered an Experimental aircraft, and not allowed to be flown over or within city limits, or residential homes... you shouldn't need to register your RC model if you fly out of a rural area like a desert, (Mojave desert in California for example), thats where they use to fly a lot of those experimental class aircraft and gyro copters... I say you shouldn't need to register, but it looks that you will have too, no matter where you fly from.

Points taken even though I fly out in the desert here no where near anything, We have a saying at our field. "If you want to hit something you need to bring it with you"

You have exposed something that has been overlooked by the FAA, and I'm sure we will see some changes in the experimental class requirements in the near future, the domino effect has just begun.

God I hope not for their sake

Yes, very true, but as already mentioned, most RC events require you to have AMA... we're not allowed to fly at the Apollo XI field without AMA as it could jeopardize the Valley RC Flyers lease agreement they have with the city.

Were a AMA Chartered Club so we follow the "Safety Rules" I find that all the FAA is doing is punishing those who have followed and will continue to follow the "rules". IMO the AMA made a bad move "courting" a bunch ( not all but those guys were already AMA members) that was never going to support the organization anyway.

LoL, how true

John M,
Comments in bold.

Mike
Old 12-16-2015, 07:36 AM
Gizmo-RCU
My Feedback: (27)

In my view AMA has missed many opportunities to come out publicly and show we are a responsible part of Model aviation and speak against illegal/outlaw flyers who are causing the problems. The 24 hr. news feeds are always looking for any story and It wouldn't cost us a dime! Grounding air tankers on fires is about as prime an example as I can think of!
The AMA was no where to be seen at those press events, why?
I don't know if it's PC or ignorance but they (AMA) just continues to ignore the real problems and keep their heads in the sand.........a lot like our present politicians.

Sorry AMA, FPV and fixed wing and other LOS models do not mix well for a whole number of reasons.............our club is having friction over these issues at this time.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:53 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
In my view AMA has missed many opportunities to come out publicly and show we are a responsible part of Model aviation and speak against illegal/outlaw flyers who are causing the problems. The 24 hr. news feeds are always looking for any story and It wouldn't cost us a dime! Grounding air tankers on fires is about as prime an example as I can think of!
The AMA was no where to be seen at those press events, why?
I don't know if it's PC or ignorance but they (AMA) just continues to ignore the real problems and keep their heads in the sand.........a lot like our present politicians.

Sorry AMA, FPV and fixed wing and other LOS models do not mix well for a whole number of reasons.............our club is having friction over these issues at this time.
But they will save you money on your car insurance.

Mike
Old 12-16-2015, 08:03 AM
franklin_m

But they will save you money on your car insurance.

Mike
That's funny. You'd think that the media firm AMA is paying with our membership money would have advised them on how people would react to such mass email mailings right after a major administrative loss.

Apparently they need to go out and hire yet another firm to teach them how to do internal messaging!
Old 12-16-2015, 08:09 AM
rcmiket

Originally Posted by franklin_m
That's funny. You'd think that the media firm AMA is paying with our membership money would have advised them on how people would react to such mass email mailings right after a major administrative loss.

Apparently they need to go out and hire yet another firm to teach them how to do internal messaging!
Going though my email and was hoping it was something important in light of recent developments. Shows were the priorities are.

Mike
Old 12-16-2015, 10:30 AM
John_M_

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Were a AMA Chartered Club so we follow the "Safety Rules" I find that all the FAA is doing is punishing those who have followed and will continue to follow the "rules". IMO the AMA made a bad move "courting" a bunch ( not all but those guys were already AMA members) that was never going to support the organization anyway.

Mike
Well said, laws always seem to have a punishing affect on those other than whom the laws were directed too in an attempt to control criminal activity.

Since the flood of interest in these multi-rotor UAV's, the AMA are just fluffing their pillow and reeling in more revenue ... its always about the money first, and values second... all driven by greed, dishonesty, and corruption.

John M,
Old 12-16-2015, 10:45 AM
jwrich
My Feedback: (17)

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Recent history of actions taken by AMA, proves to me that AMA has lost sight of who has supported them all these years. Fix wing models/helicopters, chartered clubs, sanctioned events, lobbying for better radio frequencies, promise of insurance coverage (some what BS) has built the AMA organization. Supporting a portion of a RC hobby that has nothing to do with a human flying from a designated controlled field. (The fact and selling point of these quad-copers and park flyer's does not require anything that AMA has to offer.) I see their actions as simply a money driven action.

Rich
EDITED
To be fair I forgot Flying field assistance program.
EDITED

Last edited by jwrich; 12-16-2015 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:42 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

You make a good point Mike , just one thing though, that ultra-lite is considered an Experimental aircraft, and not allowed to be flown over or within city limits, or residential homes.
Facts about ultralights: https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...or-ultralights

They are not experimental aircraft. In fact the FAR that covers ultralights doesn't even call them "aircraft" they are "ultralight vehicles".

They rules for ultralights were created back in 1982. Times were much different then.

No person may operate an ultralight vehicle over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open air assembly of persons. As long as you aren't over a "congested area" there is nothing that prevents you from flying within city limits. BTW, don't look for the FAA definition of "congested area"....there isn't one.
Old 12-16-2015, 11:48 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

I guess that is possible, especially after the ultralight gyrocopter landed in the Capitol.

Mostly, the FAA already killed ultralight aviation back in 2004 when they eliminated ultralight trainer aircraft and instructors.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:25 PM
TheEdge
Banned
My Feedback: (788)

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Your right on with your assessment. You would think after the failed efforts on their part they would try to focus on the issue at hand. Mike
Concur
Old 12-16-2015, 12:49 PM
minimax
My Feedback: (31)

Rich, Yes I did get this email and I have seen it before. I am an AMA member, and have been for quite a few years. Like you, I actually
still construct my models from "old school" materials out of a box. Specifically "Scale" models and I also compete at the national level. I am required to have an AMA card to compete, but for some time now I have realized that the AMA is less about modeling and more about selling insurance. I attended the Scale Nationals at Muncie a few years back and they couldn't even get the grass runway cut for the competition. I also have a friend who worked for the AMA who was let go and he mentioned several years ago that their hope by embracing drones was to "sell more insurance" (ie membership). I would add that their are several good points made on this thread, I left my local club because it was more about who was in control and less about having fun and learning. People are involved in this hobby/sport for many reasons, for me its about the creative process, putting flat sheets and square sticks together to make a piece of flying art as well as to honor the brave men and women who flew the full size ones. Drones and foamies have their place but when I think of a "model" by definition it is: a shrunk down version of the "full size" article. Just my1/2cent.

On a lighter note, Thanks for your reviews and articles you have done. I have enjoyed your work. Now to go figure out were I'm gonna
put this new registration # on my prized plane
Old 12-16-2015, 12:59 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

In one of these threads I used the analogy ;

"Kinda like asking the widow at the funeral if ya can get a deal on her late husband's corvette"

But I was told that analogy was just too outrageous .

I thought it fit fine
Old 12-16-2015, 01:47 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

I did accomplish one goal in that I got some insight to their thinking. They're now contending that DOT walked into the room and declared what the solution would be. That sounds like an excuse to me. With so many people in the room with disparate interests, that hasn't been reported anywhere ... not even on background in a mass media leaks driven age. So, I don't believe it.

Well the back and forth communications is a start, and I guess you gathered at least some of the information you were looking for, so that's a plus. That you don't believe what they told you isn't a shocker, but given your previous involvement with the feds and rule making, I don't think what they said about the DOT is that much of a stretch. Was the DOT really going to leave everything up to this committee, or were they there to have the committee help them reach a goal they already had in mind?. I haven't really heard too much from the participants on what was said. If DJI confirms that was said, would it have more weight to the AMA's statement? Chances are we are not reading about this from all the other participants is that they were asked to not divulge the discussions that went back and forth. If that's the case, and the only people who did that were AMA reps in a written document to you, I would be disappointed in the AMA for doing that. Not that it was you, just that they had done that.

They also talked about the AMA's "analysis" of the FAA data which was nothing more than an unscientific word search on a narrow term. They they complained about why the media didn't touch it. What they refuse to consider is that that have themselves to blame, as the media simply didn't view it as credible -- especially once the Bard report was issued. The latter is cited many times in media reports.

Ya, about that analysis. Hardly scientific and came with the obvious bias one would expect...just as the report it was talking about was. At best it was something to use as a mitigator in the negotiations process. The truth from both reports may lie somewhere in the middle I guess. Curiously, I'm not reading or hearing as many reports as we were seeing 4-6 months ago. Perhaps they aren't happening, or the media has moved on to something else like guys using lasers on cockpits, or even The Donald!

The response also led me to expect them to continue doing more of the same and hope for a different result.

Not sure what specifics they gave that would lead you to that conclusion, nor do I know what the suggestions would make some kind of change now. I suspect they will continue to advocate on their members behalf just as the other committee members will be doing, albeit with different goals. Leaving aside any arguments about what they could have done different then, the fact is the FAA issued their rules, and now we move forward. What can the AMA do now to change what has happened already?
Old 12-16-2015, 02:11 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm still worried about phase 2 and 3!
Old 12-16-2015, 03:52 PM
on_your_six
My Feedback: (11)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This countries leaders are scared of their shadow. We cannot let an e-mail shut down a school system. We cannot be scared of every possible terrorist action. We are going to be attacked from all sides. Just let our enemies know that they are going to get double or better for trouble. We cannot account for every idiot, every gun, and every knife. We may suffer, but they will suffer more.

We have to accept that occasional losses will cost substantially less than the police state being forced upon us.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:07 PM
franklin_m

Originally Posted by porcia83

Not sure what specifics they gave that would lead you to that conclusion, nor do I know what the suggestions would make some kind of change now. I suspect they will continue to advocate on their members behalf just as the other committee members will be doing, albeit with different goals. Leaving aside any arguments about what they could have done different then, the fact is the FAA issued their rules, and now we move forward. What can the AMA do now to change what has happened already?
Well, I find it interesting that tonight on the AMA web page they post "Below are many of the media outlets that have interviewed the AMA in the 48 hours after the FAA registration announcement on December 14, 2015. [emphasis added]" As it turns out, they just admitted that there really haven't been the 89 interviews they say they gave. If you start looking at them, oftentimes the AMA isn't even mentioned, and in the few cases where the AMA is mentioned, it's buried in the story and is merely an expression of their "disappointment."

That looks like doing more of the same and hoping for a different result. Of course there's also the professional honesty issue, in that they are giving members the impression they've done more than they've actually done. Their credibility is at stake.

Last edited by franklin_m; 12-16-2015 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:24 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry to burst on in here, but I've got to rant.

So apparently to fly my, GOD FORBID, 1.5 pound Super Cub foamie trainer that could barely cause a minor injury that I fly maybe 2-3 times a year for fun and recreation, I need to pay $5? Heck no. No way. Government isn't getting my $5!
Old 12-16-2015, 05:37 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Well, I find it interesting that tonight on the AMA web page they post "Below are many of the media outlets that have interviewed the AMA in the 48 hours after the FAA registration announcement on December 14, 2015. [emphasis added]" As it turns out, they just admitted that there really haven't been the 89 interviews they say they gave. If you start looking at them, oftentimes the AMA isn't even mentioned, and in the few cases where the AMA is mentioned, it's buried in the story and is merely an expression of their "disappointment."

That looks like doing more of the same and hoping for a different result. Of course there's also the professional honesty issue, in that they are giving members the impression they've done more than they've actually done. Their credibility is at stake.
A non answer, just more of the same conspiracy stuff. As if the AMA can control what reporters do with their comments to them in interviews. I've never seen anyone blame the AMA for so much that happens that is out of their control. Like anyone else that's interviewed gets to chose what comments are used, and the placement of them in the story.

What can the AMA do now to change what has happened already?
Old 12-16-2015, 06:27 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

I guess we all have expected way too much from the AMA.
Come to realize how little and powerless they are, it is time to look for a more affordable insurance carrier.
Most clubs I assume will do the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.