Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 09:50 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the invite sir, the same holds for you!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:01 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
NO it's not it's the registration of PEOPLE specifically you as the OWNER/Pilot of the any R/C TOY U wish to fly in the NAS. ( no need to place YOUR Registration) on anything U don't fly or hang in your basement.

Stop saying we are Registering airplane / Drones it Just ain't so.
I don't buy into the conspiracy theorist nonsense. I hate to tell you this but unless your building pipe bombs in your basement to hurt someone I don't think they give a rats $%& about you! You are registering the vehicles you own in case they are in a collision or accident and they need to find out whose it is. To think they are compiling a list of owners of drones and airplanes to over throw the AMA???? or something else stupid... you need to get back into your bunker and close the door man.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:54 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	66
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	2140189  
Old 01-08-2016, 06:53 AM
F4u5
My Feedback: (81)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just wanna know how quad/multi-rotors ever got titled "Drones". That alone may satisfy me.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:31 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

NO it's not it's the registration of PEOPLE specifically you as the OWNER/Pilot of the any R/C TOY U wish to fly in the NAS. ( no need to place YOURRegistration) on anything U don't fly or hang in your basement.

Originally Posted by mattster1971
I don't buy into the conspiracy theorist nonsense. I hate to tell you this but unless your building pipe bombs in your basement to hurt someone I don't think they give a rats $%& about you! You are registering the vehicles you own in case they are in a collision or accident and they need to find out whose it is. To think they are compiling a list of owners of drones and airplanes to over throw the AMA???? or something else stupid... you need to get back into your bunker and close the door man.
Did they ask you for any info on any of your R/C TOYa Y or N is sufficient?

To think they are compiling a list of owners of drones and airplanes to over throw the AMA???? or something else stupid.

Where in the world did U ever here anything in any of these forums about a Conspiracy. If It makes U happy to think U are Registering your R/C TOY's So be it. I feel that the real reason is "LIKE U"To think they are compiling a list of owners of drones and airplanes to over throw the AMA???? or something else stupid" isto make people accountable but also to be able to Prosecute any one caught Flying an R/C TOY when where and How they aren't allowed but don't cause an accident or Incident. If they were registering R/C TOYS the Manufacturer would be required to obtain an "N" number be for sale. That's exactly what they didn't want ... They can't keep up with the 2200,000 Registered AIRCRAFT IN THE USA . How would they keep up with a couple of Million R/C toys that people dell swap or distroy every day. answer then couldn't. Therefore register a half million Pilots of R/C TOYs
Old 01-08-2016, 07:40 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Originally Posted by F4u5
I just wanna know how quad/multi-rotors ever got titled "Drones". That alone may satisfy me.
...but it seems everybody thinks "drone" = multi-rotor hovering and flying apparatus, ESPECIALLY people that don't know a damn thing about RC flying

Hell, people on this forum who SHOULD know better only call multi-rotor hovering and flying contraptions "drones", but do NOT refer to their Ugly Stick, or P-51, or Bandit, etc, etc, etc as a "drone." That's why you see comments on this forum like, "The FAA website says it's about registering for flying "drones", but I don't own one. I just fly RC airplanes, so I don't need to register."

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 01-08-2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:53 AM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by VF84sluggo
...but it seems everybody thinks "drone" = multi-rotor hovering and flying apparatus, ESPECIALLY people that don't know a damn thing about RC flying

Hell, people on this forum who SHOULD know better only call multi-rotor hovering and flying contraptions "drones", but do NOT refer to their Ugly Stick, or P-51, or Bandit, etc, etc, etc as a "drone." That's why you see comments on this forum like, "The FAA website says it's about registering for flying "drones", but I don't own one. I just fly RC airplanes, so I don't need to register."
So agree with this. A thread was started on this very issue days ago basically noting that issue..despite several people noting the obvious the party really didn't see it. That excuse would not work if God forbid something happened and Feds or local le were involved. It will take time to educate everyone.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:06 AM
HoundDog

NEWS MEDIA Who else

Old 01-08-2016, 08:08 AM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

NO it's not it's the registration of PEOPLE specifically you as the OWNER/Pilot of the any R/C TOY U wish to fly in the NAS. ( no need to place YOURRegistration) on anything U don't fly or hang in your basement.

Did they ask you for any info on any of your R/C TOYa Y or N is sufficient?

To think they are compiling a list of owners of drones and airplanes to over throw the AMA???? or something else stupid.

Where in the world did U ever here anything in any of these forums about a Conspiracy. If It makes U happy to think U are Registering your R/C TOY's So be it. I feel that the real reason is "LIKE U"To think they are compiling a list of owners of drones and airplanes to over throw the AMA???? or something else stupid" isto make people accountable but also to be able to Prosecute any one caught Flying an R/C TOY when where and How they aren't allowed but don't cause an accident or Incident. If they were registering R/C TOYS the Manufacturer would be required to obtain an "N" number be for sale. That's exactly what they didn't want ... They can't keep up with the 2200,000 Registered AIRCRAFT IN THE USA . How would they keep up with a couple of Million R/C toys that people dell swap or distroy every day. answer then couldn't. Therefore register a half million Pilots of R/C TOYs
I'm with you, HD. Earlier this week I sent the FAA a very nice, very "innocent" letter (physical), quoting various lines of their messages / interpretations / regulations / advisories / instructions, 33% referencing registration of owner, 33% referencing registration of pilot, 33% referencing registration of "drone", and asking for a clarification of just what is being registered and why. It was all very "innocent", as though I was completely confused - a very nice letter. It came out, printed, at 21 pages, single-spaced - just like their missives.

A copy (physical) was also sent to my Congressman and Senators.

Hoping to hear some sort of response.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:54 AM
scale only 4 me

NEWS MEDIA Who else

And the industry

and the AMA

Name:	rcsu-drone-hq-675.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	2140326   Click image for larger version

Name:	AMA_JENNER.png
Views:	78
Size:	423.0 KB
ID:	2140327  
Old 01-08-2016, 09:22 PM
HoundDog

Count Down timer Till FAA Mandatory Registration:

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...ion&font=serif
Old 01-09-2016, 04:59 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HoundDog, I recommend Prozac for you, 30mg daily. Let me know if that helps.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:17 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by mattster1971
HoundDog, I recommend Prozac for you, 30mg daily. Let me know if that helps.
Now with out a "Reply with Quotes" I have no Idea of witch of my posts has Up set U so ... Hey U got any Prozac left ?

U have exactly http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...ion&font=serif ) time left to register.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:38 AM
jmiles1941

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The FAA's response: “The FAA disagrees with the comments asserting that the registration of model aircraft is prohibited by section 336 of Public Law 112-95. While section 336 bars the FAA from promulgating new rules or regulations that apply only to model aircraft, the prohibition against future rulemaking is not a complete bar on rulemaking and does not exempt model aircraft from complying with existing statutory and regulatory requirements. As previously addressed, Public Law 112-95 identifies model aircraft as aircraft and as such, the existing statutory aircraft registration requirements implemented by part 47 apply.
This action simply provides a burden-relieving alternative that sUAS owners may use for aircraft registration. Model aircraft operated under section 336 as well as other small unmanned aircraft are not required to use the provisions of part 48. Owners of such aircraft have the option to comply with the existing requirements in part 47 that govern aircraft registration or may opt to use the new streamlined, web-based system in part 48.”
Old 01-09-2016, 07:49 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by jmiles1941
The FAA's response: “The FAA disagrees with the comments asserting that the registration of model aircraft is prohibited by section 336 of Public Law 112-95. While section 336 bars the FAA from promulgating new rules or regulations that apply only to model aircraft, the prohibition against future rulemaking is not a complete bar on rulemaking and does not exempt model aircraft from complying with existing statutory and regulatory requirements. As previously addressed, Public Law 112-95 identifies model aircraft as aircraft and as such, the existing statutory aircraft registration requirements implemented by part 47 apply.
This action simply provides a burden-relieving alternative that sUAS owners may use for aircraft registration. Model aircraft operated under section 336 as well as other small unmanned aircraft are not required to use the provisions of part 48. Owners of such aircraft have the option to comply with the existing requirements in part 47 that govern aircraft registration or may opt to use the new streamlined, web-based system in part 48.”
Hey 41 U sound like an FAA guy Using thins like section 336 of Public Law 112-95, ,in part 47, web-based system in part 48.” .... If U are going to reference some thing PLZ include the URL to it, so every one knows exactly what U ARE REFERRING TO. YA WE HAVE ALL READ THESE THINGS BUT WE HAVEN'T MEMORIZED. THEM OOPS HIT THE CAPS LOCK INSTEAD OF THE LEFT SHIFT KEY OH MAYBE THIS POINT ON REFERENCE THINGS WITH A URL NEEDS SHOUTING.

U have exactly http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...ion&font=serif ) time left to register.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:11 AM
jmiles1941

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey 41 U sound like an FAA guy Using thins like section 336 of Public Law 112-95, ,in part 47, web-based system in part 48.” .... If U are going to reference some thing PLZ include the URL to it, so every one knows exactly what U ARE REFERRING TO. YA WE HAVE ALL READ THESE THINGS BUT WE HAVEN'T MEMORIZED. THEM OOPS HIT THE CAPS LOCK INSTEAD OF THE LEFT SHIFT KEY OH MAYBE THIS POINT ON REFERENCE THINGS WITH A URL NEEDS SHOUTING.

no not a FAA guy have some friends that work there , I retired from gov KBR general electrical foreman, I found it on flying giants their reference to is it legal thanks hound
Old 01-09-2016, 08:35 AM
HoundDog

Originally Posted by jmiles1941
no not a FAA guy have some friends that work there , I retired from gov KBR general electrical foreman, I found it on flying giants their reference to is it legal thanks hound
Interesting Weapon System Probably would eliminate Quads (DRONES) from the approach path @ air ports. Wonder if they could be made airborne and radar equipped and autonomous . If U attached them to a large Quad it could just sit on the approach path and wait for an intruder (DRONE) That would eliminate the need for 80 devices and 240 personal per airport to run them.
U Might have something. Now if U could get them to work on Seagulls and Canadian Geese U'd be an overnight Millionaire.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:24 AM
scale only 4 me

Hound Dog,,
why do you feel the need to use these bold fonts and colors, it does absolutely nothing to make your points more convincing and frankly it's annoying to try and read.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:40 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Hi Tom I got the suggestion NOT to register with the F.A.A. via an e-mail from my R/C club,which,further complying with a "suggestion" from the A.M.A. has ceased all flying from my R/C club of over 40 years now. On a positive note I continue to fly some small Fly Zone Air Core electrics out of my front yard,which I did again today.

I just want to state here that the A.M.A. certainly dropped the ball so to speak. One things for sure I will not pay my damned 2016 dues until the A.M.A. straightens this mess out. Further there were staff members posting pictures of drones in issues of Model Aviation.IDIOTS indeed
Old 01-09-2016, 12:54 PM
scale only 4 me

No,, they didn't drop the ball,, they grabbed the ball and ran with it, until they tripped over their greedy little hands, Their now laying on the ground with the wind knocked out of them.
Old 01-09-2016, 03:06 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by ramcfarland
Hi Tom I got the suggestion NOT to register with the F.A.A. via an e-mail from my R/C club,which,further complying with a "suggestion" from the A.M.A. has ceased all flying from my R/C club of over 40 years now. On a positive note I continue to fly some small Fly Zone Air Core electrics out of my front yard,which I did again today.

I just want to state here that the A.M.A. certainly dropped the ball so to speak. One things for sure I will not pay my damned 2016 dues until the A.M.A. straightens this mess out. Further there were staff members posting pictures of drones in issues of Model Aviation.IDIOTS indeed
Some folks have high expectations for this privately run hobby related group with about 150,000 adult members to convince the feds to do what they want, or to change what they have already done. If DJI and Walmart and Amazon weren't able to do it, how exactly is the AMA supposed to?

As for the pics you saw in the MA mag, the staff member you typically see is Brown, the president...and I believe you've seen him holding MR...multi-rotors. There is a difference between that and a "drone". And why shouldn't he? He has help up foamies, balsa planes, rubber band/free flight, and of course helis...which of course is a multi rotor craft as well. Hardly seems like an idiot to be embracing many different types of aircraft.
Old 01-09-2016, 07:35 PM
VF84sluggo

Just today a buddy changed his main Facebook pic to a shot his son took of their waterfront house with his new Christmas "drone." Time for a quiz, gang:

Guess what the "drone" is?
Correct, it's a quadcopter.

Do you think the son is an AMA member?
No. Right again.

Do they know about FAA registration?
No. Right again...a perfect score!

EXTRA CREDIT: When they say "drone", do you think my buddy and his son equate that with a multi-rotor hovering and flying picture and video taking flyable through the iPhone or iPad contraption, and not a radio control airplane like a T-28?

Yes!! Man, you guys are good!! Aced this quiz!

Sigh................
Old 01-09-2016, 08:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

Just today a buddy changed his main Facebook pic to a shot his son took of their waterfront house with his new Christmas "drone." Time for a quiz, gang:

Correct, it's a quadcopter. Actually, that's incorrect. And that's a part of the huge problem here and elsewhere, people using the wrong term to describe something.
Here is a "multi rotor", that flies on 4 rotors:

And here is yet another. Does this look like a drone to you, or anyone?

No. Right again. Is this really a right or wrong answer? Explain why he needs to be, and how that has anything to do with him flying. There are plenty of people who don't belong to the AMA that enjoy flying.

No. Right again...a perfect score! Why does he need to know about registration? You never said how old the kid is, or what kind of "drone", he was flying, or even it it was a drone. Are you aware of the age requirement, as well as the weight of the aircraft limitations? Lot's of multirotors out there right now that are less than .55 pounds and have a camera on them.

EXTRA CREDIT: When they say "drone", do you think my buddy and his son equate that with a multi-rotor hovering and flying picture and video taking flyable through the iPhone or iPad contraption, and not a radio control airplane like a T-28?
Here is another multi-rotor unit NOT flown by a iphone or ipad, but via a transmitter. It does not have autonomous or blos capacity, but does have a HD camera. Oh, it' also flies at less than 2 ounces, so no registration needed.

Sigh................
Hey tell your buddy to join the AMA, bring him over to the darkside.

Name:	notadrone.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	2140569   Click image for larger version

Name:	anotherquad.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	2140570   Click image for larger version

Name:	HBZ8700_a11.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	2140574  

Last edited by porcia83; 01-09-2016 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 08:40 PM
VF84sluggo

P83,

The point of my post was that "everybody" thinks a "drone" is one of these multi-rotor gizmos. But, if it's an sUAS, and meets certain weight definitions, the FAA damn sure thinks it's a "drone" with respect to this new registration requirement, regardless of rotor arrangement, props, jets, EDF's, etc. And most that got "drones" from 'Santa' don't have the first clue about registration and recommended safety guidelines.

I couldn't care less about the FAA can't regulate like this/the FAA can regulate like this argument. Believe whichever you wish. Matters not one whit to me.

I couldn't care less whether they join the AMA or not, won't even get into any AMA pro/con squabble...knock yourself out if you so desire.

Yes, I'm aware of all of the stipulations of who and what is or isn't required to register. They fall under the requirements.

The whole GD post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Pick nit's all you 'effin want. On the other hand, I suppose I should be flattered that you chose to quote my post and rebut EVERYTHING with cute blue statements. I'm humbled.

Good grief..........

Last edited by VF84sluggo; 01-09-2016 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:19 PM
HoundDog

Correct, it's a quadcopter.

No. Right again.

No. Right again...a perfect score!

Sigh................
I believe it isn't that the AMA has endorsed MR's Quads (DRONES). It's that the AMA through the US Congress tried to Preempt the FAA from including Traditional R/C with any regs they were going to include with the full scale. Cramming the amendment #336 caused the FAA to take the opposite of congresses meaning when they Published their Interpretation of #336.

U have exactlyhttp://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...ion&font=serif ) time left to register.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.