Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

AMA says, "Wait to register"

Old 01-11-2016, 02:22 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
If that was true they whould say you should register, but they said you may register. That is they still recommend waiting but OK to go ahead and register.

The word "may" applies to saving the $5, not registering. God, you just won't give up with your crap will you.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:25 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

"In principle" means an accepted rule of action. The word itself means agreement without details. To say agreed in principle is actually a bit redundant.
How much have you dealt with government authorities? Agreed in principle means they agree with some, but not all, of the arguement. And that can get turned around in an instant.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:36 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well the AMA have their agreement with the FAA.

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...-registration/
I went to the link and I don't see any agreement but it only states they are working on one, Also if the AMA and the FAA do come to a agreement we will still have to register with the FAA and the only difference would be
we don't have to put the FAA number on our aircraft.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:22 PM
lflf
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I registered the first day. I don't have a problem with it.
Old 01-12-2016, 06:12 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by rgburrill
How much have you dealt with government authorities? Agreed in principle means they agree with some, but not all, of the arguement. And that can get turned around in an instant.
Sorry but that is not true. One definition of principle means an accepted rule. "in principle" means it is accepted but no details are worked out.

I have worked with many government authorities includeing the FAA. In fact I was a government authority.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:17 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by franklin_m
I don't get your point.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.
It was a joke dude,,
Old 01-12-2016, 07:19 AM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So, if the AMA gets what they want, what happens to those AMA members who already registered, and got an FAA number. Will they be able to change their FAA number for their AMA number?
Old 01-12-2016, 07:59 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

FYI, AMA is working with FAA to get language on their site that requires membership in AMA to operate above 400'.
Wonderful I'm all for it. All the way up to 3000' AGL an a 5 mile radius Just like regular important. Don't need class B type air space (30 NM and 10000'Top) Just an ATA 3000' AGL an a 5 mile radius ... We out number all Aviation in the USA anyways. What makes us less important than some Jet jockey out for a joy ride at 500' on a Sunday headed to get their $50 burgers?
Old 01-12-2016, 08:01 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Originally Posted by TLH101
So, if the AMA gets what they want, what happens to those AMA members who already registered, and got an FAA number. Will they be able to change their FAA number for their AMA number?
Use both to be safe ...besides it FREE, when's the last

time u got something for FREE from the gubbermnt?

OOPS fer gots ta dubbl space fer crispy LOL
Old 01-12-2016, 08:04 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Default enough to make the Pope cuss

FYI, AMA is working with FAA to get language on their site that requires membership in AMA to operate above 400'.

For crying out loud I have been a member of the AMA since 1967 and the rule has always been that by AMA and FAA ruling we R/C pilots (drone pilots go to hell) are not to fly above 400' within 5 miles of an airport ,which if you were in a full scale plane you set the altimeter allowing for altitude above sea level which for example at the now closed Hyde Field in Clinton MD that would be 249' above sea level so you would be flying at 649' above SEA LEVEL I as any pilot learned this when learning to fly full scale which I have done before ever flying an R/C fixed wing plane flying

In closing ladies and gentleman even if it is not in controlled airspace one should use their commonsense and NEVER fly above 400' which greatly minimizes any obstruction of FAA controlled air space,which of course is the issue.

Last edited by ramcfarland; 01-12-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:11 AM
rcmiket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I caved this morning and registered. I see nothing new happening with the AMA and the FAA anytime soon. I have no concerns with local issues but since I'm planning on taking the show on the road visiting some larger events this year I figure I might as well I rather have it and not need it than the reverse.

Mike
Old 01-12-2016, 09:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by ramcfarland
For crying out loud I have been a member of the AMA since 1967 and the rule has always been that by AMA and FAA ruling we R/C pilots (drone pilots go to hell) are not to fly above 400' within 5 miles of an airport ,which if you were in a full scale plane you set the altimeter allowing for altitude above sea level which for example at the now closed Hyde Field in Clinton MD that would be 249' above sea level so you would be flying at 649' above SEA LEVEL I as any pilot learned this when learning to fly full scale which I have done before ever flying an R/C fixed wing plane flying

In closing ladies and gentleman even if it is not in controlled airspace one should use their commonsense and NEVER fly above 400' which greatly minimizes any obstruction of FAA controlled air space,which of course is the issue.
I think we all agree to not flying above 400 feet within 5 miles of an airport (it was 3 BTW). The issue is flying above 400 feet outside of that 5 mile limit.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:10 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

I just registered with the FAA just like I had to when I got my student pilots licence way back in 1967. I believe the AMA is just trying to run the show when clearly by events recently they are BEHIND the curve. Also by registering now my $5.00 will be credited to my bank. Message to AMA YOU dropped the ball. And for now at least I can fly my under 1/2 pound (2) sticks of butte, my prized Fly Zone Air Core :Miss America P-51, ME-109,FW-190 and my A6-M-2 Navy Zero where I live AND at my local field if they get it together with the F.A.A.regarding what some call foamies...
Old 01-12-2016, 09:18 AM
Sport_Pilot

I don't see how the AMA dropped the ball and its the FAA that is behind the curve. In fact all of this may be overturned in court.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:17 PM
hawkerone
My Feedback: (11)

I don't see how the AMA dropped the ball and its the FAA that is behind the curve. In fact all of this may be overturned in court.

If you're over 40 years old it's not likely you'll live long enough to see the end of this as far as the court system is concerned.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:39 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by hawkerone
If you're over 40 years old it's not likely you'll live long enough to see the end of this as far as the court system is concerned.
Dude its just model airplanes! Not a complicated case.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:03 AM
RC_Fanatic

The AMA will continue wasting our money on a lost cause and have to raise the fees again and again. Seems to me they have outgrown their usefulness.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Sport_Pilot

Originally Posted by RC_Fanatic
The AMA will continue wasting our money on a lost cause and have to raise the fees again and again. Seems to me they have outgrown their usefulness.
I suggest you read the most recent sUAV NPRM, especially part 101 on page 172 before claiming this is a lost cause.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic..._signature.pdf
Old 01-13-2016, 11:03 AM
RC_Fanatic

I suggest you read the most recent sUAV NPRM, especially part 101 on page 172 before claiming this is a lost cause.

http://www.faa.gov/regulations_polic..._signature.pdf
So now it applies to any UAS under 55 pounds. Ones under half a pound still need to be registered. I don't see any significant changes. That is, we still need to register, we need to put the registration numbers on our aircraft... It sounds more like the FAA is promoting a private organization, which is what the AMA has been pushing for.

Anyways, too little and too late. Many of us have already registered and marked up our airplanes. I've always had a couple of stickers in each plane with contact information and AMA number. I guess that now I need to add that to my palm-sized simple quad-copter as well.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:30 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Lol.....what lost cause specifically, and how much? So are you an AMA member and if so will you continue or cancel your membership? If not..are you going to avail yourself of their useless benefits?
Old 01-13-2016, 11:34 AM
porcia83
Banned

So now it applies to any UAS under 55 pounds. Ones under half a pound still need to be registered. I don't see any significant changes. That is, we still need to register, we need to put the registration numbers on our aircraft... It sounds more like the FAA is promoting a private organization, which is what the AMA has been pushing for.

Anyways, too little and too late. Many of us have already registered and marked up our airplanes. I've always had a couple of stickers in each plane with contact information and AMA number. I guess that now I need to add that to my palm-sized simple quad-copter as well.
No..the AMA has done no such thing. Amazing how much incorrect information is being given here and elsewhere. You should either look to the AMA for the most recent info..or the fee directly.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:51 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

BTW, I did get my refund a few days ago,,,
Old 01-13-2016, 11:59 AM
RC_Fanatic

From the document referenced above:

"Subpart E – Special Rule for Model Aircraft
§ 101.41 Applicability.
This subpart prescribes the rules governing the operation of a model aircraft that meets all of the following conditions as set forth in section 336 of Public Law 112-95:
(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;"

The only reason I belong to AMA is that I cannot fly at our club field without membership. My homeowner's insurance provides coverage for my flying before the AMA one will kick in. The magazine is interesting, but I could easily live without it. I'm not interested in organized competition. Unfortunately, I find sport and (attempted) pattern flying of 40 and up displacement fixed wing aircraft more interesting than multi-rotors so I am stuck, but I don't have to like it.

I guess I am annoyed that the AMA painted a rosy picture of their efforts "on our behalf" but the truth is much different.

Last edited by RC_Fanatic; 01-13-2016 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:47 PM
porcia83
Banned

From the document referenced above:

"Subpart E – Special Rule for Model Aircraft
§ 101.41 Applicability.
This subpart prescribes the rules governing the operation of a model aircraft that meets all of the following conditions as set forth in section 336 of Public Law 112-95:
(a) The aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(b) The aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(c) The aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;"

The only reason I belong to AMA is that I cannot fly at our club field without membership. My homeowner's insurance provides coverage for my flying before the AMA one will kick in. The magazine is interesting, but I could easily live without it. I'm not interested in organized competition. Unfortunately, I find sport and (attempted) pattern flying of 40 and up displacement fixed wing aircraft more interesting than multi-rotors so I am stuck, but I don't have to like it.

I guess I am annoyed that the AMA painted a rosy picture of their efforts "on our behalf" but the truth is much different.
I don't recall any AMA press release or comments that indicated anything was rosey. They were pretty clear what the issues were and how they were trying to deal with the. The "outcome" isn't indicayltuve of them misleading us or painting a rosey picture. If anything..the results were not as bad as they could have been. The reg was never going away, so nothing new. AMA number might be used, clarification will be coming on the 400 foot issue.

So...looks like the AMA was very much involved and not quite as toothless as noted.

If those changes are made...what again is this huge horrible change that will drastically affect the hobby...or cause it to end? A 5 minute registration?
Old 01-13-2016, 01:00 PM
RC_Fanatic

FWIW, I got my registration before Christmas and have already received my refund.

Tired of those who worship the AMA. Unsubscribed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.