Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Should AMA have a "Drone Operators" Classification?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Should AMA have a "Drone Operators" Classification?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 01:55 PM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think anybody uses goggles anymore, just an LCD screen on the transmitter. You won't find goggles in any of the quad box's, one would have to purchase it separate. Most crash and give up before they even think of it. And others hate wearing them.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:03 PM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Originally Posted by Sport_Pilot
I don't think anybody uses goggles anymore, just an LCD screen on the transmitter. You won't find goggles in any of the quad box's, one would have to purchase it separate. Most crash and give up before they even think of it. And others hate wearing them.
nah....plenty of these guys are using googles (fat sharks) and even newer technology with foam cases with wider and longer one piece screens. The technology is coming along very quickly.
Old 01-04-2016, 02:36 PM
init4fun

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by porcia83
nah....plenty of these guys are using googles (fat sharks) and even newer technology with foam cases with wider and longer one piece screens. The technology is coming along very quickly.
Funny you mention Fat shark , that was the very brand I was thinking of because I've seen them before , but didn't mention them by name cause I didn't think any of the non FPV flyers would know of them . Either way , if the PIC is looking at a little LCD screen on the TX , that's still not direct eye contact with the aircraft . In a panic situation , how long will it take that pilot to look from the screen to the sky and gain meaningful visual contact with the craft enough to correct whatever flight issue has arisen ? in those split seconds between where he either gains visual contact or cedes the TX to the spotter whose supposed to have visual contact how much distance will that craft have traveled ?

I do see the FAA's problem , at what point does LOS become BLOS , and they seem to think it's the very second the pilot doesn't have two eyes in visual contact with the aircraft . I guess with all due logic I gotta agree with the FAA on that one . Hence our #550 IS BLOS to them , hence we toss out #336 cause "US is THEM" , as it were , since a subset of our #336 protected operations includes a mode of flight outside of the limits of being a "Traditionally flown" (LOS) model aircraft .
Old 01-04-2016, 03:01 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by init4fun
Funny you mention Fat shark , that was the very brand I was thinking of because I've seen them before , but didn't mention them by name cause I didn't think any of the non FPV flyers would know of them . Either way , if the PIC is looking at a little LCD screen on the TX , that's still not direct eye contact with the aircraft . In a panic situation , how long will it take that pilot to look from the screen to the sky and gain meaningful visual contact with the craft enough to correct whatever flight issue has arisen ? in those split seconds between where he either gains visual contact or cedes the TX to the spotter whose supposed to have visual contact how much distance will that craft have traveled ?

I do see the FAA's problem , at what point does LOS become BLOS , and they seem to think it's the very second the pilot doesn't have two eyes in visual contact with the aircraft . I guess with all due logic I gotta agree with the FAA on that one . Hence our #550 IS BLOS to them , hence we toss out #336 cause "US is THEM" , as it were , since a subset of our #336 protected operations includes a mode of flight outside of the limits of being a "Traditionally flown" (LOS) model aircraft .
Both sets of goggles are goggles with screens, I didn't mean to indicate they were clear to the aircraft. I actually tried a pair on (not the fatsharks) and was amazed how light it was, and how big the screen looked, even over my glasses. The clarity of the screen and camera was amazing. Still, not my cup 'o tea.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:04 PM
porcia83
Banned

These were the ones I tried on, but in white. Amazingly light.

Not cheap either, as is some of the gear for these things. I look at 250 and think of the whole plane I could get for that price, let alone one piece of a flying system. But that's just me, and nothing is really that cheap in this hobby (complete systems wise) at the end of the day.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HeadPlay_black_1024x1024_18b34dc9-e88a-45e4-8e7c-96ab41a209fd.png
Views:	62
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	2139735  
Old 01-04-2016, 03:20 PM
twistman
My Feedback: (42)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

porcia, you did say in one of your posts that they would have to answer to you, and it wouldn't be pretty, I don't come on here to attack any one, but you need to look at what you say, and I am not the only one on here with a problem with you!!
Old 01-04-2016, 03:25 PM
twistman
My Feedback: (42)

Anyone who dares try that approach is going to answer to me...and it won't be pretty.
Right here is what you said or is this your evil twin?
Old 01-04-2016, 03:28 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by twistman
porcia, you did say in one of your posts that they would have to answer to you, and it wouldn't be pretty, I don't come on here to attack any one, but you need to look at what you say, and I am not the only one on here with a problem with you!!
No he wasn't threatening anybody , he was joking cause I said in my post ;

"Call me old fashioned , or just plain old"

To which he jokingly said ;

"Anyone who dares try that approach is going to answer to me and it won't be pretty"

Now honestly , see how easy it can be to misunderstand someone when all you can see is words and not the emotions behind the words ? You have my assurance that what he was saying was lighthearted banter and not a call for the head of the next guy who crosses him .

Now , call me old at your own peril !!!

Kidding , Just kidding , see how cold words can look till ya know the feelings behind them ?

Last edited by init4fun; 01-04-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:31 PM
Rob2160

Originally Posted by Gizmo-RCU
Just wait until night vision makes it's way into this situation............
Originally Posted by jeffrey solomon
Wow Night Vision and drones
I didn't think of that one.
My God
What sh-t storm that would be!
Night vision camera tech has been available for a while now. Could be fun for some I guess...perhaps more useful for potential search and rescue applications.
You are right Porcia, it has been around for a while and our Police have been using them for months.

Here is one of the latest systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z625R9eljIc

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-04-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:32 PM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Has you noticed that the "No Drone Zone" Tool Kit as it's called depicts a multi-rotor only. How many folks do you think will see those signs and think, by golly it's ok to fly my heli or foamy here. Seems to me if all models are thrown into the Drone category that the sign should depict all types. It is really too bad there are so many flaws in this mess we used to call model aviation. I again remind folks that it wasn't just the irresponsible multi-rotor, FPV, BLOS folks who got us where we are. There is plenty of blame to go around and the laser pointing idiots are in the mix as well. Irresponsibility leads to regulation. As we found out with what was to be a grand health care scheme, things don't always go as planned. The FAA and AMA will soon find out what new issues they caused and failed to correct and there will be a round of fixes, followed by more issues and more rounds of fixes, and then soon the legal profession will be advertising on tv.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:38 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by loopdeeloop
Has you noticed that the "No Drone Zone" Tool Kit as it's called depicts a multi-rotor only. How many folks do you think will see those signs and think, by golly it's ok to fly my heli or foamy here. Seems to me if all models are thrown into the Drone category that the sign should depict all types. It is really too bad there are so many flaws in this mess we used to call model aviation. I again remind folks that it wasn't just the irresponsible multi-rotor, FPV, BLOS folks who got us where we are. There is plenty of blame to go around and the laser pointing idiots are in the mix as well. Irresponsibility leads to regulation. As we found out with what was to be a grand health care scheme, things don't always go as planned. The FAA and AMA will soon find out what new issues they caused and failed to correct and there will be a round of fixes, followed by more issues and more rounds of fixes, and then soon the legal profession will be advertising on tv.
With all due respect , traditional LOS flying went along pretty good policing itself for the first 70 or so years . It wasn't till the flying cameras came along , that the behavior became bad enough to warrant regulatory intervention . Had we not been tied in with any BLOS activities I believe we still would have had our #336 exemption .
Old 01-04-2016, 03:39 PM
Rob2160

No he wasn't threatening anybody , he was joking cause I said in my post ;

"Call me old fashioned , or just plain old"

To which he jokingly said ;

"Anyone who dares try that approach is going to answer to me and it won't be pretty"

Now honestly , see how easy it can be to misunderstand someone when all you can see is words and not the emotions behind the words ? You have my assurance that what he was saying was lighthearted banter and not a call for the head of the next guy who crosses him .

Now , call me old at your own peril !!!

Kidding , Just kidding , see how cold words can look till ya know the feelings behind them ?
+1 I laughed when I read it. You are 100% right that tone can be easily misunderstood in these threads and a broad sense of humour goes a long way.
Old 01-04-2016, 03:59 PM
Rob2160

The goggle market is alive and well with plenty of new models becoming available.

Amazing what some people can do with a set of googles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRmlX6rrs2w https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MBW8zoZUR4

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-04-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:09 PM
High Flyer

I would like to take a poll: everyone that reads these long,long, long post, please raise your hand
Old 01-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Tiporarefun

Best post of the year!!!!!!! Hit the nail on the head!!

My first thought is that anyone who talks about quads and drone flight characteristics without ever flying them, should not talk about how easy it is to fly a quad or a drone. It is not as simple as pushing a button and watching it fly, that is an absolute fallacy, and is more often times the narrative put forth by those who just don't like them. They all require some level of proficiency. The cheaper toy grade ones are not the easiest to fly, just as an Air Hogs Heli isn't so easy to fly right out of the box (at least for me..) . I'm willing to bet at good amount of those toy grade ones are already broken or lost to flyaway scenarios. Jeez even the guys who are good with these have trouble flying them sometimes.

Yes, some of the higher end ones have multiple gyros and stabilization systems. Guess what, most need to be programmed. Again, not something the average person knows how to do pulling them "right out of a box". So please, those who have never done it, really have no place talking about how easy they are to fly. I've never flown a turbine and wouldn't presume to talk about how they fly even though I've seen many different types fly, from the Boomerang Trainers to F-104 Startfighters. Gee they look easy enough to fly, same control surfaces my EDF jets have!

As for more classifications, for what? So we can have more labels to stick on people? Many of the MR/Drone folks also fly fixed wing. Should we have yet another classification for those? How about we call all AMA members AMA members? Let's leave the "class" stuff out of the AMA, the same with comments like "the backbone" of the AMA. I know this sounds harsh, but you don't know what the backbone of the AMA is, there is nothing I've ever seen to indicate fuel consuming pilots are the backbone of the AMA. Sorry, that sounds like an elitist comment, please keep in mind I'm not calling you that....I'm not looking for an argument in that regards, just my opinion. Plenty of folks are into free flight, electric, and multiple types of gliders (non motorized, slope). I prefer to think we are in a category of one...that being AMA members. It starts and stops there for me, regardless of what you fly. From a Guillows free flight model to a 20k turbine, it makes not difference to me.

Finally, if you had a chance to read the FAA registration document, you would have seen it doesn't matter what you fly, we are all in one category now. They didn't take the time to differentiate, so as of now, it doesn't matter what happens internally with the AMA, the FAA's definition is the only one that counts.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:13 PM
High Flyer

This is getting very boring. Move on.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:32 PM
porcia83
Banned

Right here is what you said or is this your evil twin?
A big swing and a miss buddy...better luck next time. You guys looking for any chance at an off topic personal attack really do amuse me. Out of one side of your mouths comes a desire to stay on point..and then on the other side an unprovoked attack like above. No worries...no apology needed.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:35 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob2160
The goggle market is alive and well with plenty of new models becoming available.

Amazing what some people can do with a set of googles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRmlX6rrs2w https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MBW8zoZUR4
More amazing stuff way above my skill level.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:38 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by High Flyer
I would like to take a poll: everyone that reads these long,long, long post, please raise your hand
Do you mean each post....or the whole threads. In either case each thread has a count next to it which shows how many "hits" each thread has. Suffice it to say...the AMA threads generally have the most hits. Bet this past month or two has been among the highest ever.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:39 PM
porcia83
Banned

Originally Posted by High Flyer
This is getting very boring. Move on.
Wait...someone finally agreed with me.....
Old 01-04-2016, 04:42 PM
LarsL

I can agree to disagree on the whole #336 exemption thing being blown by our (the AMA) allowance of BLOS able craft . No problem .

Just know that of 300 people polled , 77% of them saw my opinion as being correct , where only 23% saw your's as the correct position . This is not a diss or a slap at you in the least , just a statement of fact that a great majority of a poll's respondents agree that the AMA did the wrong thing to allow craft that could possibly fly BLOS into our hangar . That's all , no malice or spite .....
No problem... I don't take any malice from anything someone says or writes unless it is overt.

Which poll and what is the sample size? Polls are a bit like statistics, depending on how they are worded, the conclusions can be pretty nebulous.

Since you, I, and others have agreed that flight systems that can control model aircraft BLOS have been out there for some years now and any type of aircraft can be so equipped, what specifically could the AMA leadership done to not, as you put it, "allow craft that could possibly fly BLOS into our hanger?" I'd like to hear your proposal on that.

Lars
Old 01-04-2016, 04:48 PM
LarsL

Originally Posted by rgburrill
This is where the rule was changed. For years and years the PILOT had to have LOS. AMA changed this rule a few years ago to accomodate FPV. And this is where things went bad.
Rcburrill, can you reference a specific rule change, I'd like to check it out on the AMA SITE or I will call them. My clear understanding is that for FPV flight the AMA position is that a secondary pilot needs to be present and have the capability of taking over control if the FPV pilot is taking the aircraft BLOS.

LARS
Old 01-04-2016, 04:56 PM
Rob2160

More amazing stuff way above my skill level.
Mine too, Its much harder than it looks. I post these videos to show there is more to Multi rotors and flying them than a DJI Phantom.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:00 PM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last edited by I-fly-any-and-all; 01-04-2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:07 PM
init4fun

Originally Posted by LarsL
No problem... I don't take any malice from anything someone says or writes unless it is overt.

Which poll and what is the sample size? Polls are a bit like statistics, depending on how they are worded, the conclusions can be pretty nebulous.

Since you, I, and others have agreed that flight systems that can control model aircraft BLOS have been out there for some years now and any type of aircraft can be so equipped, what specifically could the AMA leadership done to not, as you put it, "allow craft that could possibly fly BLOS into our hanger?" I'd like to hear your proposal on that.

Lars
Hi Lars ,

I am happy you didn't take offense , my posting style can seem over the top aggressive at times , but I promise you when I'm arguing a point I truly mean no ill will for those who don't believe as I do .

Now , my belief ? My belief is that the AMA should have continued to support LOS flight only , and left BLOS operations out of our organization till the FAA had their say . I agree that FPV equipment has been around a few years , but also the fact is that it's been known since at least 2012 that the FAA was planning changes that will regulate those BLOS operations . Please remember , even "AMA condoned #550 FPV operations" ARE considered BLOS by the FAA since the primary pilot's two eyes don't have direct visual contact with the aircraft . It is that contradiction , that model aircraft are flown LOS only , and yet we have a category of model aircraft that are being flown BLOS , that caused the FAA to lump us all together . So my proposal ? eliminate #550 , thereby restoring the definitive line between our LOS model aircraft and BLOS drones , and use that fact that we allow LOS only in the court challenge to our LOS craft being subject to the regulation intended for BLOS .

Please also know , that I am not in the least against BLOS operations . I have in the past stated that drones have much good work to do in the fields of search & rescue , Land surveying , and I truly can't wait for my first Amazon drone delivery . At the same time , I don't think this new mode of flight is close enough to traditional LOS model aircraft operations to be lumped in with us , whether the BLOS is being done for commercial OR recreational purposes .

Oh yea , I almost forgot , in the AMA subforum there is a poll thread called "Yes or No , is it OK for the AMA to embrace drones" or something close to that . In that title , My use of the word "drone" really should have been "BLOS ABLE aircraft" but I didn't think that would all fit in the thread title bar . Most of the respondents understood my somewhat oddly written question and I tried my best by page 2 or 3 to make the intent clear to those few who were tripped up by my poll's language .

Last edited by init4fun; 01-04-2016 at 05:15 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.